Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Loyal Fan

IMO they tried to surprise people.

Before the 2011 CS, they released a press pack for the CS at the beginning of December. Then, there was a screening for the press one week (or something similar) before the CS and the newspapers were full of spoilers. This year the screening was organized on Christmas Eve - I suppose that they simply had to do it and chose the latest date possible. Journalists have other things to do on Christmas Day than spoiling DA, after all.

Plus, people got their DVDs before the 2011 CS. Back then a lot of things got leaked, e.g. Sybil's pregnancy. If someone wanted, s/he could find all the spoilers before the episode aired.

Last edited by Patano; 02-05-2013 at 06:08 PM
Patano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patano (View Post)
IMO they tried to surprise people.

Before the 2011 CS, they released a press pack for the CS at the beginning of December. Then, there was a screening for the press one week (or something similar) before the CS and the newspapers were full of spoilers. This year the screening was organized on Christmas Eve - I suppose that they simply had to do it and chose the latest date possible. Journalists have other things to do on Christmas Day than spoiling DA, after all.

Plus, people got their DVDs before the 2011 CS. Back then a lot of things got leaked, e.g. Sybil's pregnancy. If someone wanted, s/he could find all the spoilers before the episode aired.
They did try to hide it, but their very effort was telling. The lack of a screening for 3.05 was a good hint as well.

Whose going to tune in on Xmas to see that?

I wonder if those people in Norway got in trouble.....

I am so happy they did it. The PR machine for this show, and the way they silence the actors and make them kiss the writer's ass, really irritates me. You hear them say things like "we totally trust him", but there is no way that's true. They never know what is coming for their characters. EM said she had no insight into Cora at all until she met Martha.
HarshBench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Loyal Fan

I've posted a new chapter for my Xmas AU fic:
All those Christmases Chapter 4: Christmas Cake, a downton abbey fanfic | FanFiction

There are no sucker-punches here - it's actually getting fluffier and fluffier. We need some fluff in this fandom, so I'm determined to finish this Christmas story

BTW, I'm so sick when I think that JBF's departure gave JF an opportunity to create some drama...

Whatever, we now know that JF's first priority is to keep going no matter what, not doing justice to the characters. There's no character integrity and narrative consistency on this show anymore.

Last edited by Patano; 02-17-2013 at 11:05 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Well, it's me again. Hope that soon I won't be the only poster here .

Here’s my Valentine gift for all S/T shippers - The Most Precious Gift, a downton abbey fanfic | FanFiction. It's 3x05 AU, of course.

Because today is Valentine's day, have some S/T awesomeness:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Patano; 02-14-2013 at 05:05 PM
Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 AM
Master Fan

I guess Jessica's quote here fits "And they finally kiss!"

RoseBennett
confessor_meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Loyal Fan

Heh, Meggy, what about yout script with the meteorites? Maybe it will be easier to convince JF to use it now that it seems so realistic? Maybe he'll be inspired by what happened in Russia ?

ETA:
I've been thinking about Dan lately and I think that in a way he was cheated too. Similarly to us, he expected that this show would have its conclusion and that it would all lead somewhere. Making more seasons than those covered by the original plan means that everything is up in the air as well as no definite direction for the characters. It seems to me that JF wants to keep going as long as possible, no matter the costs. Can anyone blame Dan for not wanting to be part of a random, endless soap opera?

Honestly, if your lead male leaves the show while not having that good offers, it should activate your alert mechanism and instigate some reflection.

Last edited by Patano; 02-19-2013 at 08:17 AM
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Heh, Meggy, what about yout script with the meteorites? Maybe it will be easier to convince JF to use it now that it seems so realistic? Maybe he'll be inspired by what happened in Russia ?
Asu usual, JF misunderstood me!!! I told him Downton not Russia!!! Now I'll have to write him again!

RoseBennett
confessor_meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Hey how have you all being?

Here I bring something that hopefully could cheer everyone? enjoy!

Source

bijou156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Loyal Fan

LOL, so true. So I guess that the CS already aired in America.

Here's another chapter of my Christmas AU fic - All Those Christmases Chapter 5: Carols, a downton abbey fanfic | FanFiction
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Please add me to the list.
KOUAT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
LOL, so true. So I guess that the CS already aired in America.

Here's another chapter of my Christmas AU fic - All Those Christmases Chapter 5: Carols, a downton abbey fanfic | FanFiction
The American reaction has been interesting. Some funny reviews.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
The American reaction has been interesting. Some funny reviews.
You made me curious - what did they make fun of in particular?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUAT12 (View Post)
Please add me to the list.
You've been added and welcome to the thread.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
ScarletCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
You made me curious - what did they make fun of in particular?
Mostly it is the ridiculous nature of Matthew's death. Some are upset and shocked, but I think more were spoiled. And the rather goofy look on his face as he drove off and the fake-looking blood made some roll their eyes. Some thought it was hilariously ironic that this guy who kept having dead people dump money and estates in his lap ended the way he did.

One person describes it as: "Whomp!"

Also, people found Edna the horny maid funny and Lady Susan an OTT sourpuss. The vaguely sapphic vibe between O'Brien and the other Ladies' Maid was funny, as was drunk Moseley.

What people liked: Carson and Sybbie, Tom and Mrs. Hughes, the scenery, and even the terrible irony of the final scene that cut between the relieved, grateful family waiting back at the house and the shot of dead-eyed Matthew in the ditch.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
Mostly it is the ridiculous nature of Matthew's death. Some are upset and shocked, but I think more were spoiled. And the rather goofy look on his face as he drove off and the fake-looking blood made some roll their eyes. Some thought it was hilariously ironic that this guy who kept having dead people dump money and estates in his lap ended the way he did.

One person describes it as: "Whomp!"
Yup, less shock than in December because the most emotionally invested people have been already spoiled.

I find it hilariously ridiculous as well - a man who miraculously recovered from paralysis and kept receiving out-of-blue inheritances goes down just like that. I remember when we talked about Matthew's luck back before his death - how he should have just played a lottery to save the estate. Plus, the Swire curse. Lavinia, her dad and then all three people mentioned in the will. LOL. And "Downton heirs are doomed to tragic death" curse too.

Honestly, S3 was such a great gift for the people who watch TV just for snark. What an "awesome" pile of ridiculousness. Maybe I would laugh my head off too if I weren't so heartbroken. I really used to love this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench
and even the terrible irony of the final scene that cut between the relieved, grateful family waiting back at the house and the shot of dead-eyed Matthew in the ditch.
This actually sounds cheesy to me TBH.

I've come across that article saying that JF may leave DA after S4. Only more proof that the show should have ended after S3. This man does no longer care about DA, he's more excited at the prospect of his new projects. Why didn't he end DA after S3 so that he could fully focus on his new American TV Series? Why didn't he write here a satisfying conclusion before moving on to other projects?

Last edited by Patano; 02-25-2013 at 04:30 PM
Reply   Post New Thread