Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletCourt (View Post)
So i guess that's it, that's all for Alfred? I had heard that the actor was leaving but I didn't know he was leaving so early.
I had not heard that...too bad. I liked awkward Alfred.

It is getting late. If you want to talk more later in the week, let me know. More on Edith and Mary?
Tomorrow night, test grading (yes, teachers only work nine months a year), but nothing major until 55 essays next weekend (see above). PM me and we can try to be than ships passing in the night
alertthecorgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Master Fan

Sounds like a plan. Will PM you to discuss a time to do more chatting.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
ScarletCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Start when ready, Scarlet I will hover
Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Master Fan

I thought the pigs were bigger than they ought to have been. While I like that Tom is becoming more political, I thought it contrived that he was forced into it and then abandoned only to "find" Sarah to talk to. Would have been better in my opinion if Tom had started thinking about going back into politics or said that he had stayed away from politics after Sybil died because it had hurt too much. Alas, none of that happened. Very saddened that Tom was driven back into politics for the sole reason of "finding" love again.

Also thought it interesting that Mary knew how to make scrambled eggs when Sybil couldn't boil water.

Your go!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

Well, the pig thing was contrived to get Mary and Blake to see each other in a different light. I was okay with it. I like him better than AG (who I don't care for...he's meh). Poor Evelyn...frozen out again.

They had to reiterate that Tom will not return to Ireland. Again I say boooooo and hisssssssssssssssssssssssssss! Sarah was not as bad as I thought, but...please, always remember that no matter what Fellowes shows us in that vein, S/T will always be together in my story. I am losing hope that Fellowes version will ever do Tom justice. He's said he doesn't know who he is and I agree...I don't know him anymore either.
Think I should spoiler this
Spoiler:

Still, there are other reasons to watch which we can discuss, if you wish. Over to you.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, Tony seems off. He's always interested in Downton the estate. I do wonder if he's after the money. As for Evelyn, shouldn't he have already found a wife by now? Having fought in the war, you would think that he would have though of his immortality and married someone to beget an heir.

Alfred is just popping by so that Matt Milne can be paid for the episode. Very lame in my opinion. I find the episodes to be more disjointed than they used to be. There used to be thousands of layers, now there are probably ten or so.

So does Carson know about Anna's rape? He was wondering with Mrs. Hughes about whether to lock up.

As for Edith, I didn't really expect her to go through with the abortion. JF is staunchly Catholic so I didn't expect Edith to go through with it. As per usual though, JF skipped the big reveal to Rosamund. I hate Greek drama where everything happens off stage!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Yeah, Tony seems off. He's always interested in Downton the estate. I do wonder if he's after the money. As for Evelyn, shouldn't he have already found a wife by now? Having fought in the war, you would think that he would have though of his immortality and married someone to beget an heir.

Alfred is just popping by so that Matt Milne can be paid for the episode. Very lame in my opinion. I find the episodes to be more disjointed than they used to be. There used to be thousands of layers, now there are probably ten or so.

So does Carson know about Anna's rape? He was wondering with Mrs. Hughes about whether to lock up.

As for Edith, I didn't really expect her to go through with the abortion. JF is staunchly Catholic so I didn't expect Edith to go through with it. As per usual though, JF skipped the big reveal to Rosamund. I hate Greek drama where everything happens off stage!
Tony's a little too needy for me. I just feel bad for Evelyn 'cos he seems like such a nice chap. Enough with Alfred and the triangle. I must admit I laughed at Mrs. Patmore line about the flu when he showed up. Can't remember exactly what she said, but it was the way she said it

Also funny...Violet's drunken vicar line and the goody-goody, but she really needs to properly thank Isobel. She won't, but she should

Loved Aunt Rosamund and her support.

Mrs. Hughes was awesome though she sure seems to be telling Anna's secret a lot. She told him what's what and talk about shooting daggers...at the table. If looks could kill, we'd be sending her to jail.
See, this is why I can still watch. The acting...when Green unbelievably let it slip he came downstairs the night of the concert, I thought Bates missed it at first. Then I saw Brendan Coyle's face. Green is in trouble.

Anna's face when Green showed up...that was also good. I thought Bates might catch on then, but his back was to her. Better as they shot it, I think.

One more from you and then sleep?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

Sure. What did you think of Robert's departure speech? Seems rather grand, but I guess that's the way it was. I guess that also showed why JF was keen to keep Tom there. Boo! Hiss!

Yes, Evelyn is a poor chap, but realistically, he would have married. Certainly, his mother would have pushed it like Cora has been pushing it. Yes, men can have families later but since he went to war like most of his peers, you would have thought that his mother would have convinced him to go with one of the Semphill girls.

Absolutely, Violet should thank Isobel but you're right, she won't. Have to say that i've had bronchitis with a high fever as an adult (102.9-103.4) that Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen did not bring down individually. You really don't want to be up and about. I do wonder what type of inhalants Dr. Clarkson prescribed though.

As for Bates missing it at first and then realizing, I think it was OK. I would have preferred to have focused on Bates's face while you heard in the background that Green had come down to the Servant's Hall during Melba's performance (I always think of melba toast when i type this in.)

Oh, and I do wish that we would know what Thomas is holding over Baxter. The world doesn't need to know but the audience does.

Have a good night! Hope you're putting the extra hour to good use. See you next week for the finale before the C/S.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Master Fan

Saw the last episode and thought it rather anticlimactic. What did you think?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Saw the last episode and thought it rather anticlimactic. What did you think?
Okay, am here.
Did you hear the T/S theme??? It always was a little bittersweet sounding...now more so.
Are they trying to make Sarah sound like the old Tom? So, she can be converted?
I would like Tom getting into politics, but can he? Is he an English citizen?
He was a fugitive, too, so that would be stretching it, don't you think?

Did Bates off Green? Sure looks that way. It seems a little dark, but it is a question they can drag out. Speaking of which, please are we really done with the downstairs triangle. Mrs. Patmore was great tonight.

I prefer Blake over Tony, but either one...don't care all that much.

Violet was great about the French (Rosamund just yells louder, or something like that).

Edith...does seem like God (or Fellowes at least) doesn't want her to be happy.

Could have had more Tom and Sybbie,

I'm sure there's more, but back to you
Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Master Fan

Yes, very upset by hearing emancipation during the Tom and Sarah scene. Of all the times to use it, I can't believe that the used it with Sarah (his supposed new love interest). Even sadder that it felt like we saw more of them in different scenes than I think we saw in S/T in an episode in S2. I don't like Sarah and it's an irrational dislike. It has nothing to do with her looks or anything about the actress. I don't like Sarah because she's there to replace Sybil. End of story.

As soon as Bates asked to go to York, I suspected that he was off to London.

I just can't believe that Tony is still after Mary. He's becoming a creep. Blake seems nicer and more helpful.

Fellowes doesn't want Edith happy. That's all. That's it. The rest is detail.

I get a sense that Tom and little Sybil scenes were cut due to fan outrage. Glad not to have seen it though.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Yes, very upset by hearing emancipation during the Tom and Sarah scene. Of all the times to use it, I can't believe that the used it with Sarah (his supposed new love interest). Even sadder that it felt like we saw more of them in different scenes than I think we saw in S/T in an episode in S2. I don't like Sarah and it's an irrational dislike. It has nothing to do with her looks or anything about the actress. I don't like Sarah because she's there to replace Sybil. End of story.
I am steeling myself that someone is gonna get Tom...at least, I think. I just keep thinking to myself...it's only one version and I can modify as necessary when all's over. (I hope I can maintain that mindset)

Quote:
I just can't believe that Tony is still after Mary. He's becoming a creep. Blake seems nicer and more helpful.
He's too needy and clingy.

Quote:
Fellowes doesn't want Edith happy. That's all. That's it. The rest is detail.
Made me laugh.

Quote:
I get a sense that Tom and little Sybil scenes were cut due to fan outrage. Glad not to have seen it though.
What outrage? Not sure I know what you mean.

Oh and Rose...marrying someone to tick off your Mumsey??? Yikes. She seemed to get over her disappointment pretty quickly, huh?

Carson had some good lines.

Lord Merton...are you really that dense??? Still, I like him. Have since the Tom apology
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Master Fan

I don't know. I'm just suspecting the outrage bit because I know ITV checks the internet. Still happy not to have seen Sarah interact with little Sybil. Hard enough to have her interact with Tom.

Rose is impulsive and can be distracted by something else.

Carson was alright.

Lord Merton though seemed to come out of left field. Not sure what purpose he was to serve.

What did you think of Baxter and Moseley? Still don't know enough about Baxter.

So now that we're done until the C/S, will we meet here again to discuss other stuff until then?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I don't know. I'm just suspecting the outrage bit because I know ITV checks the internet. Still happy not to have seen Sarah interact with little Sybil. Hard enough to have her interact with Tom.

Rose is impulsive and can be distracted by something else.

Carson was alright.

Lord Merton though seemed to come out of left field. Not sure what purpose he was to serve.

What did you think of Baxter and Moseley? Still don't know enough about Baxter.

So now that we're done until the C/S, will we meet here again to discuss other stuff until then?
This is a great time for me...it would be my pleasure. Just let me know.
Get a good night's sleep
Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

i'm so late on Downton Abbey. I finally watched the whole series last year. Love Tom and Sybil. Sadly Sybil was short-lived. Tom's character developed nicely and I never expected that he'd come this far. It all started as a chauffeur.

It took me forever to find out that we are at thread #29. The board guide is still at thread #1.
MsPerfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread