Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

80 Screenshots from the TLJ trailer + comments from article writer
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

I love the Porgs so far. We'll see how I feel about them in the movie, but they're adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
I'm just tired of this trope, I guess. Not just in SW but in Hollywood movies in general, i.e. men getting redemption arcs after committing heinous acts. I think redeeming him through Leia would be a lot better and more meaningful because Leia's forgiveness is more powerful than anything that others can offer. She's the one he hurt the most, she's the one he probably really needs forgiveness from and it would be redemption through unconditional love, depends on how much they've filmed though.
They can easily go in a new direction (with the films, anyway) with Kylo, just by letting him live instead of redemption through his death; doing THAT would make it a rehash.

It's already quite different from Vader because he's so different from Vader, even though he seems to want desperately to be him. And I think he'll be a far, far more developed character than Vader was in the OT. Setting aside the prequels, Vader in ROTJ is a quick turn around - we don't get to see his inner thoughts except for his hesitation at the climax of the film. I think Kylo's character arc could be much stronger than Vader's overall, IMHO. Gonna give credit where it's due, though, Vader's redemption and relationship with Luke at the end of ROTJ makes that film, even if it's a quick turn around. That film would almost be nothing without it.

I see Rey and Leia as capable of inspiring Kylo to turn around. But the set up for Rey to be special to him was already established in TFA. He reacted to her differently than he reacted to anyone else. And quite frankly, I think a large part of the ST is about the younger main characters like Rey, Kylo, and Finn, finding themselves and "coming of age" in a manner of speaking. Even though Kylo is a villain, Rian Johnson has stated Kylo is also a protagonist, like Rey and Finn.

Everyone's mileage varies - for example, even though there have been many hoping for it, the most tired thing they could do is make Rey a Skywalker and make her primary relationship with Daddy!Luke. We've already seen father/child relationships/issues 3 times in the saga, twice in the last two years. There's nothing of interest in a ReySky reveal for me. It actually lessens the characters' potential and arcs across the board, IMO.

~Kat

Last edited by TheCheshireKitten; 10-11-2017 at 07:55 PM
Old 10-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^I agree hardcore.

Btw I'm still baffled by when people say SW is predictable SW has the biggest plot twist in move HISTORY. I'm expecting to be surprised, always.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's one of the biggest twists in movie history, in the general scheme SW doesn't have original stories though, it's quite universal. Its power has always been the world-building, characters/actors and nostalgia.

Quote:
I see Rey and Leia as capable of inspiring Kylo to turn around. But the set up for Rey to be special to him was already established in TFA. He reacted to her differently than he reacted to anyone else. And quite frankly, I think a large part of the ST is about the younger main characters like Rey, Kylo, and Finn, finding themselves and "coming of age" in a manner of speaking. Even though Kylo is a villain, Rian Johnson has stated Kylo is also a protagonist, like Rey and Finn.
I just view him differently then most people on this board, Kylo treated her differently but he still tortured and violated her. I saw it more as jealousy and wanting to take over her power than actual admiration. I can see him get inspired by Rey if she keeps resisting the darkness tempting her because it's something he hasn't been shown capable of doing yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that he's going to be a big part of the franchise and that they'll focus on his inner struggle, I'm just not looking forward to it bc of how he makes me feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
It's a ing fish.
It's a bird.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 10-12-2017, 05:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's a bird

Quote:
I saw it more as jealousy and wanting to take over her power than actual admiration.
I think it's both. Especially during their fight scene when she takes the saber. He's in awe. And then two seconds later he's pissed. Then in awe again It's a very grey area with how he feels about her...no wonder he's crazy.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Still not a fan Open-Minded and will see how I feel come the actually movie

Need to catch up what's been going on in the thread - this is probably only movie keeping up with trailers for. So can read what's been posted and comment myself too
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

*watching trailer again*
Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Tomorrow will be doing that
Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I added it to the OP
Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Great I need to make sure all trailers are in the OP - tomorrow
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I just view him differently then most people on this board, Kylo treated her differently but he still tortured and violated her. I saw it more as jealousy and wanting to take over her power than actual admiration. I can see him get inspired by Rey if she keeps resisting the darkness tempting her because it's something he hasn't been shown capable of doing yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that he's going to be a big part of the franchise and that they'll focus on his inner struggle, I'm just not looking forward to it bc of how he makes me feel.
No argument that Kylo kidnapped her and tortured her -he's the villain in TFA, though, and I expected him to do that. But that sequence of events starting on Takodana when he takes her is about showing how differently he treats her in comparison to Poe - likely the reason they showed the Poe interrogation in the first place would be to compare and contrast, otherwise it's narrative redundancy. From the jump, in TFA, Kylo is drawn to Rey. At the point in the forest, he would've been confident in his ability to get the map from her memory and thought he could've done it then and there but he took her anyway (this is backed up in JJ's commentary). The interrogation scene itself is completely different than Poe's, with him kneeling in front of her, unmasking in front of her, and trying to have a conversation with her - in his screwed up, awful way, he was trying to connect with her. That's not even touching on the difference in his looks when Finn ignites the Skywalker saber (anger) and when Rey first does it (awe).

I think any element of jealousy takes a backseat to his fascination and awe of her. I never received the impression he wants her power more than he wants her companionship and for her to join him. I think he sees her as a peer and tries to connect with her loneliness, because I could see him as being lonely (this isn't about whether the character did it to himself, or what he threw away with his family, we still don't even know the whole story with that) - but it ties into my belief that Rey, Kylo and Finn are about finding themselves and where they fit.

~Kat
Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireKitten (View Post)
No argument that Kylo kidnapped her and tortured her -he's the villain in TFA, though, and I expected him to do that. But that sequence of events starting on Takodana when he takes her is about showing how differently he treats her in comparison to Poe - likely the reason they showed the Poe interrogation in the first place would be to compare and contrast, otherwise it's narrative redundancy. From the jump, in TFA, Kylo is drawn to Rey. At the point in the forest, he would've been confident in his ability to get the map from her memory and thought he could've done it then and there but he took her anyway (this is backed up in JJ's commentary). The interrogation scene itself is completely different than Poe's, with him kneeling in front of her, unmasking in front of her, and trying to have a conversation with her - in his screwed up, awful way, he was trying to connect with her. That's not even touching on the difference in his looks when Finn ignites the Skywalker saber (anger) and when Rey first does it (awe).

I think any element of jealousy takes a backseat to his fascination and awe of her. I never received the impression he wants her power more than he wants her companionship and for her to join him. I think he sees her as a peer and tries to connect with her loneliness, because I could see him as being lonely (this isn't about whether the character did it to himself, or what he threw away with his family, we still don't even know the whole story with that) - but it ties into my belief that Rey, Kylo and Finn are about finding themselves and where they fit.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's a fish.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

These parodies though

Quote:
"I only know one truth-It's time for #TheLastJedi poster parodies to END!"- Luke Skywalker😩
"Get a sense of humor, dude. Bring 'em on!"-mh🤣
Closed Thread   Post New Thread