Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Elite Fan

DVD Discussion Thread #3: They're here, they're here!

Walmart will, I know that.

I'm interested in your amber website, val, however, the address is broken.

Here's a compiled list of the major changes in the DVD. Enjoy.

A New Hope:
- 24'51" : twin sun effect has been renewed.
- 48'50" : Han Solo avoids Greedo's shot before shooting at him.
- 50'30" : Jabba effect renewed completely, in accordance with Episode 1.
- 71'30" and after : Death Star jail corridor is much deeper.
- 77' : the garbage monster has been improved.
- 82'10" : "Power" and "Tractor Beam" stencils have been replaced with Star Wars "foreign" signs.
Empire Strikes Back:
- 50'56" to 52'05" : Emperor's hologram has been reshot with Ian Mc Dairmid. A new dialog has been recorded and Palpatine informs Vader about Luke's real identity!

- 63'42", 87'18" & 98'39" : Boba Fett's dialog has been re-recorded by Temuera Morrison.
- 92'05" & 92"15 : Han Solo's black jacket has been erased, due to cut mistakes in the original movie.
- 101'40" : Luke's scream, which was added in the '97 Special Edition, has been removed again.
Return Of The Jedi:
- 24'44" and after : Edge transparency defects around the Rancor have been removed.
- 115'41" : Old Anakin's eyebrows have been erased and eyes are now blue, to fit with Hayden Christensen.
- 120'44" : Naboo has been added to Tatooine, Bespin, Coruscant and Endor victory celebration scenes.
- 120'58" & 121'03" : Senate & Jedi temple are now included in Coruscant panoramic view.
- 122'30" : As everyone knows already, Hayden appears as a ghost beside Yoda and old Obi-Wan at the end of the movie.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for the list Jerry. And the new thread. I ordered it yesterday! My son asked if they were the *original* originals or the remastered versions. I didn't realize that he knew there was a difference. He could even tell me about some of the changes.

sir drinks alot - I'm sorry to hear about your hospital visit. I hope that it's nothing major. Watching it will be a great way to recuperate.

Hey Val!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to get them.

Are they going to be selling them at Walmart?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Oops forgot about Walmart and Target. Six more day!!!

OT: Cryostar I just wrote out the address instead of trying to make it as a link. I'll try to figure out later on how to do it again!!

But browse all you like on her site! You will love it!!

Hey Chris

Cryoster a big thanks on the info provided of the changes!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Elite Fan

Walmart will deffinitely have them, and I'm wagering at a lower price, although best buy is goig to have a special, collector's edition of insider for sale.

I hope Walmart has a ton more stuff.

I went out there and browsed around, haven't had too much time, though, Val. What kinda music is it?
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:43 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cryostar
I went out there and browsed around, haven't had too much time, though, Val. What kinda music is it?
psst..Cryoster trek over to OT thread to answer your question
Old 09-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Total Fan

Re: DVD Discussion Thread #3: They're here, they're here!

Quote:
Here's a compiled list of the major changes in the DVD. Enjoy.
Wow, I had no idea so many things have been changed!

Quote:
As everyone knows already, Hayden appears as a ghost beside Yoda and old Obi-Wan at the end of the movie.
Umm, not me. How come they changed that?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Re: Re: DVD Discussion Thread #3: They're here, they're here!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tery
Wow, I had no idea so many things have been changed!

Umm, not me. How come they changed that?
Yeah, same here!!! The original actor in the original is not going to be in there?? What the heck!!

Last edited by TooTallVal; 09-18-2004 at 07:55 PM
Old 09-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Elite Fan

They actually interviewed the head of the company that restored the original film for the DVD's. The joy of this is two things a) He readily admits that they didn't have time to do everything that they wanted to do and b) the provided George a completely digital copy, stored on a hard drive, that can be enhanced in "HD" quite easily.

What does this mean? It means when george feels the need, we'll have a Star Wars HD set coming out.

Why was Hayden put into ROTJ? Well, that's a tough one to answer, some of which will be answered in episode III, which are spoilers, so I can't tell you now, but basically, it amounts to why and how jedi can appear after they die. In this case, he was striving for consistancy between the Original trilogy and the Prequels.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Elite Fan

Just found this @ theforce.net, kinda makes it easy for those purchasing the DVD in stores:

Amazon.com: $41.49 (before STL discount)
Best Buy: $42.99*
Circuit City: $44.99
Costco: $43.99
Target: Target reportedly shows an ad price of either $44.99 or 45.99 (neither has been confirmed)
Toys "R" Us: $49.99*
Wal-Mart: N/A (as prices vary by store)

Blockbuster Video: $54.99*
Buy.com: $44.95 (free S&H)
Coconuts.com: $49.99 (free S&H)($34.99 after $15 mail-in rebate)
DeepDiscountDVD.com: $41.88 (free S&H)
DVDImport.com: $39.86 (free S&H)
DVDPlanet.com: $44.99 ($1.80 S&H)
DVDSoon.com: $44.96 (free S&H)
FYE: $49.99 ($34.99 after $15 mail-in rebate, but MIR only applies to pre-orders)
Gamestop: $49.99 ($29.99 with trade-in of 3 movies)
Outpost.com: $36.99 ($4.83 Ground shipping) (1 per customer)
Overstock.com: $40.99 ($1.40 S&H)
SamsClub.com: $44.88
The Laser's Edge: $48.99 ($3.00 USPS S&H)
Walmart.com: $41.88 ($5.89 S&H)

Other details:
* Best Buy is offering a free copy of the mockumentary DVD R2-D2 Beneath the Dome with the purchase of the Trilogy (online pre-orders only).
* Best Buy will be offering a 50-page Star Wars Insider magazine for in-store orders.
* Blockbuster Video is offering a deal to buy the Trilogy and seven rentals for $59.
*Toys "R" Us is offering a free $10 gift card w/ purchase.

UPDATE: Jawa01 writes in: Hey guys. I work at Target and right now it's in the system for $49.99. If it's going to be cheaper it won't show in the system until Sunday when the sale prices for the week take effect. On a different note, we are offering a $10 gift card with the purchase of Star Wars Battlefront. So, if you buy Battlefront and the DVD set, get the game first and then have them ring up your DVD set seperatly and use the $10 gift card on it. Hope this helps.

Also Tom R. reports: Just seen COMPUSA ad for S.W. Trilogy on sale for $39.99!

Chuck Mutch writes: Fry's is advertising it for $36.99 Tuesday only. I have had chain stores match the Frye's ad.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Why was Hayden put into ROTJ? Well, that's a tough one to answer, some of which will be answered in episode III, which are spoilers, so I can't tell you now, but basically, it amounts to why and how jedi can appear after they die. In this case, he was striving for consistancy between the Original trilogy and the Prequels.
I hate to say this, but i'm having doubts at seeing Hayden in the original movie! Why couldn't Lucas just leave well enough alone!

And thanks Cryo on listing the different store prices.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Total Fan

Thanks for the explanation Cryostar! And for listing all the prices. It'll probably be a while before the DVDs hit the croatian stores, but I think it'll be worth the wait. And plus, I don't have to worry about the price because my dad is as big a SW fan as I am!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Elite Fan

You are more than welcome Tery and Val. Actually Val, I've seen the ending already, and it's not that bad, though I still don't buy the explanation for it.

Congrats Tery, I wish my dad were as big of a starwars fan as I was. Alas, he's not.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

the star wars dvd boxset is now out to buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (in the uk)
let the good times roll
Old 09-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

One more day, for me. Hopefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by TooTallVal
I hate to say this, but i'm having doubts at seeing Hayden in the original movie! Why couldn't Lucas just leave well enough alone!

I agree. I'm sure that it will seem strange. Guess I'll have to wait until I actually see it though.