Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Moderator Manager

The Defenders Episode Discussion {1x08} - The Defenders

Episode Eight - "The Defenders"

[previous episode]

Basic Reminders:
▸ Be respectful of other posters.
▸ Discussions are encouraged, but let's keep things civil.
▸ No character/actor bashing, including producers, writers, directors, etc.
▸ Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here.
▸ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Si_Crazy; 08-19-2017 at 03:25 PM
Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 AM
Moderator Manager

This episode had me in tears. Literally. 3 guesses as to which scene.

First off, I'll get this out of the way. I'm still very confused about that dragon skull tunnel. Thank goodness for online recaps but the dragon skull is somehow the Substance that keeps the Hand alive. But I felt like they didn't really explain it well in the episode. At least it's destroyed now so all the Hand that died, they have no way of being resurrected again. I think Gao is still alive. If Matt survived that explosion, then maybe she did too.

Bakuto is dead! I wonder what the implications for this will be in IF S2? But he cut off Misty's right arm!
Spoiler:

It was also great to see Claire fight on this one. We've seen her on IF training and fighting with Colleen so it's great that she finally harnessed that in this ep.

Finally, that fight between Matt & Elektra wrecked me. Of course Matt wasn't going to die but he literally did sign his death sentence by choosing to stay behind because he said that he wasn't going to lose Elektra again. That hit me right in the feels. Damn it, he loves her and I know they're toxic and don't deserve each other but it's so painful to watch. Elektra couldn't kill him either. I think Elektra is also alive but not sure how she survived this. All of these makes interesting SLs for DD S3.

Lastly, that last shot at this monastery with the nuns and with one nun calling Maggie literally had me OMG because
Spoiler:

I also think they purposely left a lot of plotholes on this show for a possible S2 or a SL for IF S2 or DD S3.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Moderator Manager

I gotta say that I was a wreck too, Lindsay!

And yeah, I'm all confused about that dragon skull/skeleton thing... is it always only one dragon? If so, how come there have been lots of Iron Fists... confusing

Claire is AWESOME! And again, I'm beyond happy that she got Colleen to stay with her to help and protect her, they form a great duo! And of course then when Colleen says that she has abilities too and saves people she just doesn't get the credit was perfect! They're perfect!! Gimme more scenes of them together, I don't care in which show, I just want them sharing scenes all the time , and please, more fighting scenes for Claire, because soon enough she won't need anyone to protect her
It was so poetic that Colleen was the one to kill Bakuto I think that if it had been anyone else she would've never had closure.
Too bad that he cut off Misty's arm I do think Lindsay's spoiler is correct, I've seen that talk around online after Luke Cage (because of the shot in the arm she got in the season finale). I was worried about Claire and Bakuto knew that she was Colleen's family now , it made sense that Misty would jump in like that in an attempt to save Claire, she is a cop and her first instinct is to help and protect people.

I like that Luke was the one to make the promise to Colleen that he would rescue Danny... I really wanted Luke and Danny to be friends, and those little moments make me so happy.

It would've been cute if there was a hug not the right moment I know, but Luke mentioned it and it stuck to my head.
They're finally working together and forming plans together, they're a team The fighting scenes were impressive and I was cheering so loud
I LOVE when Danny hit with the IF against Madam Gao's powerful punch, and right on cue the song started (just like when he used it in that first Midland Circle scene), the song really is something that is part of the show IF.
And we finally saw Jessica jumping to grab the elevator I'm glad it wasn't a power she used much in the show, but it made sense to use in that scene.

Aww Matt/Elektra It's so sad... they're so perfect for each other, but before she became all dark like that... and now he just couldn't let go of his feelings for her and decide to stay back even knowing he would die It's a tragic love story.

I loved seeing Karen and Trish talking... it wasn't that important to the SL, but as supporting characters it's interesting to see how even in the sidelines they worry and keep speculating about what is going on. They're both curious person, so I could see a friendship forming there if they spent more time together.

I like that Foggy was the lawyer that cleared everything up after the mess. And Luke giving condolences to him and then Claire talking to him about their mutual friend was so sweet
And having Colleen at the hospital to talk to Misty... I see the friendship from the comics forming there and
Spoiler:

Jessica was pretty affected by Matt's "death" and I liked that, for a character that apparently didn't care much for anybody, we can see that most of it is just a way of her to protect herself. Good to see that in the end she decided to take back her life by opening up her detective agency again, it's a new start.
It was great that she and Luke had a heart-to-heart, they needed that. Aww my shipper's heart and that prospect of getting coffee
I think that what happened to Matt will be something that will affect Danny forever, it's that push that he needed to be a true hero, and not just depend on the prophecies and faith. He'll take action into his own hands, specially considering that scene of him in the roof of the building looking out into NY after saying that it was his home.

And since DD had already been renewed I knew that Matt would be okay, but waking up in the nun's place or whatever he is, also the name Maggie I'm so curious to see DD season 3 now! I need it!!!

Also, I gotta say that this probably is the reason why Karen fully starts to help Frank in The Punisher, she was against the whole vigilante thing, but Matt did sacrifice himself for the greater good, so I can see that changing her way of thinking a bit.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'mma just agree

I loved this ep!

Standouts of it all were definitely Colleen & Claire for me

And after finishing all of it, I'm Really interested in Daredevil now, so going to give that a watch soon!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Moderator Manager

^ I'm happy that you enjoyed The Defenders.. and even happier that now you're gonna give DD a chance
Old 08-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have no idea when yet though
Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Crazy (View Post)
Claire is AWESOME! And again, I'm beyond happy that she got Colleen to stay with her to help and protect her, they form a great duo! And of course then when Colleen says that she has abilities too and saves people she just doesn't get the credit was perfect! They're perfect!! Gimme more scenes of them together, I don't care in which show, I just want them sharing scenes all the time , and please, more fighting scenes for Claire, because soon enough she won't need anyone to protect her
I loved seeing both Colleen & Claire fighting. The training on IF paid off.

Quote:
It was so poetic that Colleen was the one to kill Bakuto I think that if it had been anyone else she would've never had closure.
This too! I'm glad she finally was able to kill Bakuto.

Quote:
Too bad that he cut off Misty's arm I do think Lindsay's spoiler is correct, I've seen that talk around online after Luke Cage (because of the shot in the arm she got in the season finale). I was worried about Claire and Bakuto knew that she was Colleen's family now , it made sense that Misty would jump in like that in an attempt to save Claire, she is a cop and her first instinct is to help and protect people.
So far, the shows are following the comics. They're not stirring away heavily from the source material (Frank Miller's comics) which is why I love these Netflix shows.

Quote:
Aww Matt/Elektra It's so sad... they're so perfect for each other, but before she became all dark like that... and now he just couldn't let go of his feelings for her and decide to stay back even knowing he would die It's a tragic love story.
Still not over this tbh.

Quote:
And having Colleen at the hospital to talk to Misty... I see the friendship from the comics forming there and
Spoiler:
Regarding the spoiler tag, after the events that happened in this ep, it would make sense now.

Quote:
Jessica was pretty affected by Matt's "death" and I liked that, for a character that apparently didn't care much for anybody, we can see that most of it is just a way of her to protect herself. Good to see that in the end she decided to take back her life by opening up her detective agency again, it's a new start.
Yup! Good observation. She was the one that got really affected by his death. It makes sense too since she has bonded with Matt compared to Luke and Danny.

Quote:
I think that what happened to Matt will be something that will affect Danny forever, it's that push that he needed to be a true hero, and not just depend on the prophecies and faith. He'll take action into his own hands, specially considering that scene of him in the roof of the building looking out into NY after saying that it was his home.
What exactly did Matt whisper to Danny?

And since DD had already been renewed I knew that Matt would be okay, but waking up in the nun's place or whatever he is, also the name Maggie I'm so curious to see DD season 3 now! I need it!!!

Quote:
Also, I gotta say that this probably is the reason why Karen fully starts to help Frank in The Punisher, she was against the whole vigilante thing, but Matt did sacrifice himself for the greater good, so I can see that changing her way of thinking a bit.
Hopefully and I can see her accept this side of Matt eventually. I guess we'll see soon on The Punisher.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Moderator Manager

^ I like that Claire too the initiative of learning how to fight considering in how many dangerous situations she had been involved. And nice to know that Colleen is a good teacher

I'm looking forward to see what her SL will be in Season 2

Even though i don't follow the comics, I also like when shows keep it close to the original material, after all there is a reason why the originals were successful in the first place, and there is only so much you can do to make it better by changing things until you start to screw up things.

I'm so curious to see how DD S3 is going to be, because now Matt has lost Elektra twice That has got to affect him a lot. And do you think she really died or we might see her again?

I agree that now it will make sense... when that was announced I had no idea how that would work. Since Colleen was there waiting for Misty to wake up in the hospital, and I feel like there is a small part of Colleen that might even blame herself for what Bakuto did, she probably will want to help Misty start over once she recovers.

I think it was good to show that Jessica felt Matt's death, even if they had only met a little while ago... you're right, she bonded with him the most

Right after the building collapses Danny says that Matt had no intention of getting out of the building and that he said "Protect my city". That's why I think that scene with Danny on the rooftop in the end (kind of like a parallel to Matt in the first episode) was a hint that Danny will be filling in the paper of vigilante of the city

I'm so curious to see how DD S3 is going to begin

And so very curious about The Punisher, even more than before

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
I have no idea when yet though
it will happen someday
Old 08-25-2017, 03:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, Si, that it will
Old 08-25-2017, 05:23 AM
Moderator Manager

^ just knowing that already makes me happy
Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Explosive Girl Power in episode 8 for sure... the women stole the show
Old 08-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Moderator Manager

They totally did I love that the shows are managing to portray female characters so strong, and without all that rivalry drama that most shows go to
Old 08-26-2017, 01:02 AM
Moderator Manager

I didn't follow the comics as much but I started to read up when I watched DD & JJ. Like there is still some Karen stuff they need to address on DD. And there's still some Trish & Malcolm stuff they need to address on JJ.

Tbh, I want Matt to know that Elektra is alive, which I think she is. Cause losing her twice is too much for Matt. Plus it's going to be repetitive too especially when he finds out that she's alive.

I wonder if Colleen makes an appearance in LC? I feel like she can cross over there now especially cause she was around when Misty lost her arm.

Oh thanks! So Danny did know that Matt has no intention of making it out alive. It was kind of clever how they did that scene in the roof. For a while I thought it was Matt but then the hand glowed and it was Danny. Now he has to meet Melvin!

Oh geez, you have no idea how excited I am for the new season of DD. I actually thought this SL was going to happen in DD S3.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Ohh nice to know.. I don't follow the comics, I know of some things about it. But I'm curious to see more about Karen, Malcolm and Trish, I love them all

I agree, I hope they don't recycle the whole Elektra died sl again, and if she is really alive that that's addressed early on

Simone Missick is confirmed to be in IF Season 2, I don't know for how many episodes, but that could very well make it possible for Colleen to guest star in LC to open the door for that SL to end up in IF

I also thought that it was Matt and that he had escaped and was going to do the whole vigilante thing more low key to try to protect Foggy and Karen... and then when I saw it was Danny I really liked it because we can see that he sort of wanted to take over and make sure he would protect Matt's city

In a way it did feel like this could be a DD season with awesome guest stars