Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Star Trek XI -2009 Part 6 - Rebooting the Franchise

Previous threads: 1, 2, 3. 4, 5

Release Date: May 9, 2009

Star Trek | Official Movie Site | In Theaters May 2009 | Star Trek Movie
MySpace

Simon Pegg (Scotty), Leonard 'Bones' McCoy (Karl Urban), Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zackary Quinto), Sulu (John Cho) and Chekov (Anton Yelchin).

Icons

Weekend Box Office - Star Trek Beams Up The Cash
Quote:
J.J. Abrams has done something no other Star Trek director has ever managed: make a ton of money. The most cash any Star Trek film has made previously on its opening weekend was $30 million, earned by Star Trek: First Contact back in 1996. This weekend the first Trek prequel beamed up over $72 million.
Quote:
1. Star Trek * $72,500,000 - Total: $76,500,000 LW: N WR: 1 THTRS: 3,849

2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine $27,000,000 - Total: $129,624,000 LW: 1 WR: 2 THTRS: 4,102

3. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past $10,450,000 - Total: $30,246,000 LW: 2 WR: 2 THTRS: 3,175

4. Obsessed $6,600,000 - Total: $56,247,000 LW: 3 WR: 3 THTRS: 2,602

5. 17 Again $4,405,000 - Total: $54,167,000 LW: 4 WR: 4 THTRS: 2,903
The top movies at the North American box office | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, May 24 (Reuters) - Following are the top 10 films at the North American box office for the three-day
weekend beginning on May 22, led by the new release "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian," according to studio estimates compiled on Sunday by Reuters.
1 (*) Night at the Museum ........... $53.5 million
2 (*) Terminator Salvation .......... $43.0 million
3 (2) Star Trek ...... $22.0 million
4 (1) Angels & Demons ............... $21.4 million
5 (*) Dance Flick .... $11.0 million
6 (3) X-Men Origins: Wolverine ...... $ 7.8 million
The Associated Press: Pixar goes `Up' with $68.2 million debut weekend

Quote:
Paramount Pictures' "Star Trek" steered a strong course, coming in at No. 5 with $12.8 million and passing the computer-animated "Monsters vs. Aliens" as the year's top-grossing movie so far.

"Star Trek" raised its domestic total to $209.5 million, becoming the first 2009 release to cross the $200 million mark.

source
Old 01-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

TFTNT Chris
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Absolute Fan

Yes, a big thank you! And regardless what one thinks of the direction of these films--they sure chose the main cast well.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Yes, a big thank you! And regardless what one thinks of the direction of these films--they sure chose the main cast well.
yes, the actors are all doing a great job acknowledging the original portrayals while making the characters their own.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Absolute Fan

Its certainly not an enviable job but it has its rewards, Im sure.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

One thing that does annoy me with the recent movies is the over the top CGI, not talking about realizum of the images but the light effect in some shots it's had to watch some scenes... or maybe I'm getting old?
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

tbh it hasn't really bothered me that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Its certainly not an enviable job but it has its rewards, Im sure.
indeed
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
One thing that does annoy me with the recent movies is the over the top CGI, not talking about realizum of the images but the light effect in some shots it's had to watch some scenes... or maybe I'm getting old?
The over use of lens flare was a bit annoying. I didn't find the CGI over the top. I found the Star Wars prequels terrible for the over use of CGI. It made the creatures seem like something out of a fantasy and took away from the credibility of the story - if that makes sense.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:53 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
The over use of lens flare was a bit annoying. I didn't find the CGI over the top. I found the Star Wars prequels terrible for the over use of CGI. It made the creatures seem like something out of a fantasy and took away from the credibility of the story - if that makes sense.
The 2009 film certainly for me has the freshest take on a Star Trek film since arguably STVI .
Old 02-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I really liked the 2009 film. Some of the recasting took a bit of getting used to though. In my case, Scotty and Bones in particular. I've accepted the actors in the roles now.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I really liked the 2009 film. Some of the recasting took a bit of getting used to though. In my case, Scotty and Bones in particular. I've accepted the actors in the roles now.
I also had the hardest time accepting the new Bones McCoy, he seems a bit rougher than DeForest was in his handling of people.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Extreme Fan

The biggest problem with McCoy was he attended Starfleet Academy for several years. Apparently the script writers do not know much about the military. As a practising physician, McCoy would only have spent a few weeks in basic training and then been given the rank of lieutenant. Yet academy cadets who had not yet graduated were were sent into service as sub-lieutenants. Ignorance and inconsistency. What a great combination for script writing.

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Ouyyir i'ch'Rihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:31 AM
New Fan

Star Trek 2009 Reboot review

The intro sequence with the Muslim captain of the Federation ship, is in keeping with the choice of a Russian in the 60s; a future free of bigotry where all races and creeds get along, an optimistic view of the future. The man was well cast Starfleet is evidently a meritocracy. I wonder if there was drama overload in the opening sequence, a man who saves his crew and sacrifices himself to save his wife and his son. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Something that Kirk Senior exemplifies in his actions.

Chris pine's Kirk was convincing, a young man with an absent father who gets into bar brawls true to life, based on real characters, on reflection myself and an aquaintance from school who used to start fights with people twice his size at gigs.. Pike was a convincing captain and quite a good father figure. Zacchary Quinto plays a convincing spock, his use of English contrasts with Nimoy's more human language. He does suppressed rage well and reminds us what it means to be human. McCoy is convincing, the scene with the shuttle craft joining the Enterprise is good. Good relatable themes staples of Star Trek, what it fatherhood, service.the judge at Kirk's tribunal was well cast and well played. I wondered why Spock said such hurtful things Kirk at the hearing, all he did was cheat in his test. Perhaps because logic is very important to vulcans.
Nero was well played by Erik Bana, a believable motive for a war like race, a good name for a people inspired by the Romans. A rogue soldier driven to genocide by grief. Reminds me of the first recorded coup detat in an ancient Greek City State. Spock's location of the new colony for the Vulcans Leaves possibilities open for the future. Are the Romulans and Vulcans ever going to reconcile their differences. Hardly seems likely Nero is gone. The action sequence on the Narada was good, the phasers shots have a lived in feel. The choice of the cockroach like “slug” is good, it elicits a primal response in the view. In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indie's love interest gets covered in insects. This is an effective use of CG. The action scene where Kirk and Sulu, parachute on to the Romulan drill head is good, it was interesting seeing how this was filmed. The ending is superb, the music is moving and Kirk being given a medal and relieveing Pike after saving him is superb. I found the time travel part of the plot difficult to understand. But this has been done before In the Voyage home and worked quite well I thought. The Romulan casting was good. The ending with the Enter prise nearly being sucked into a black hole was quite exciting, having the windscreen crack was nice touch.
Kirk is a Maverick, and I liked the opening with child kirk driving his step fathers car. Some one in the crew likes the Beastie Boys.

I found the Vulcan music to be hauntingly beautiful. The Vulcans seemed to have an over reliance on technology to be odd. I wonder if we could have more demotic speech in Vulcan with subtitles, per haps the Vulcans make a show of being logical to humans to show superiority. The dark and possibly unhygenic conditions on the Narada, played by the convincingly mad and grieving Romulan Nero, are atmospheric.The Centaurian slug is an example of mature CG used to good effect. Spock is presented as a know it all early on in the film, we have all encountered annoying know it alls in our time, perhaps his extremely callous remark made to Kirk after cheating the Kobiyashi Maru, comes from his family back ground as a worshipper of logic, and does not like the fact that someone could out logic him. Kirk wrote the code himself, perhaps implying that while thinking with his gut, Kirk has a greater capacity for logical thought than Spock. Uhura's green room mate was wearing ropy make up, perhaps as a not to TOS, but at odds with the convincing costumes elsewhere. I liked “Enterprising Young Men” this moved me, someone in the crew likes the Beastie boys. Having twelve year old Kirk, driving a car is a good demonstration of a child in need of adult supervision, perhaps we could have seen him hotwire the car beforehand. A child with a death wish. When we are introduced to boy Kirk in IOWA, the rural setting and the carphone with the familiar ring tone root us into the present day. The alien at the abr between Uhura and Kirk, while Kirk is trying to pick her up, seems to be offended at the two humans talking across him. In this film it is made clear that Kirk is exceptional and that he has to face his demons by signing up to Starfleet. The Romulans hhave tattoos on their faces in this film, this is a nice addition, everything about them speaks of decay, their ship which is extremely cool,is sort of insect shaped. The action sequences on the Narada are good, there is a good twist with Kirk using the Romulan's gun against him. There is character development in Kirk and Spock, we also see that Uhura is good at talking Spock around when she is assigned to the Farrogate. Nimoy's Spock alternates between stilted formal speech and more human language. We have seen Zacchary Quinto's Spock suppress emotions but per ahps we could have Vulcan expletives in the Vulcan language, when things get too tough. I enjoyed watching Spock's mind meld. I liked the feel good ending of the film.
AlexLegroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Absolute Fan

Thank you for an interesting and magnificant overview of the 2009 film. I enjoyed the movie and its story as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Welcome to Fan Forum and the Star Trek board AlexLegroux.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts regarding the 2009 film.
Quote:
I wondered why Spock said such hurtful things Kirk at the hearing, all he did was cheat in his test. Perhaps because logic is very important to vulcans.
Quote:
perhaps his extremely callous remark made to Kirk after cheating the Kobiyashi Maru, comes from his family back ground as a worshipper of logic, and does not like the fact that someone could out logic him. Kirk wrote the code himself, perhaps implying that while thinking with his gut, Kirk has a greater capacity for logical thought than Spock.
Tend to agree with you there. Spock was offended that somebody could think of a way to beat his test.

Quote:
Uhura's green room mate was wearing ropy make up, perhaps as a not to TOS, but at odds with the convincing costumes elsewhere
it was nice to see a few tributes to TOS throughout the film.

We have an existing thread for this discussion, so in the interests of keeping things organized, I'm going to merge the threads.