Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 05:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I know she was on at least 3 episodes. She tried to seduce Odo in an episode , had some kind of disease in another that projected her love/lust for Odo on the rest of the crew . It was funny because Vedek Bareil makes a pass at Jadzia, Bashir and Kira kiss , and Quark falls for someone. Another time, was the episode that aired the other day , where Lwaxana is pregnant.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Guess that's what I get for never really watching DS9.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The early episodes are kinda bland , but it got a lot better.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

YouTube - Deep Space Nine - Battles Tribute

Old 05-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Top-10 Best Dramas in the History of Television

Quote:
10. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - I can just hear it now from the people of my father's generation (as well as from my father as well), why this show and not the original Star Trek? I can also imagine the less enlightened of my own generation will wonder why I chose DS9 over The Next Generation. Well, I'm only happy to answer those questions. Okay, first of all, while Star Trek was great, it was only great about 2/3 of the time. The third season, while providing about 3 good episodes, was horrendous. Yes, "City on the Edge of Forever" is the best single sci-fi episode ever, but the series itself was far too uneven to be considered anything more than the ground-breaking series it was. Then again, ground-breaking doesn't necessarily mean top-10 best of all time. As far as TNG goes, I'm sorry, but I like it when my sci-fi not only reflects the times it was broadcast in in an analogous way (like the original series and the 1960's), I also prefer it that the people in these series act like actual people, and not the pod-people who populate TNG. Seriously, I know Roddenberry was a utopian idealist, and that he believe that mankind at it's zenith will be free of all our basest emotions and feelings like greed, angery, jealousy, etc, but that just isn't real. The TNG characters act like they're hopped up on soma (read Brave New World if that reference flew over your head). I'm sorry, but I prefer my Picard in First Contact, not in this series. Is it any wonder that the episodes in this series which are considered the best are also the ones in which the human characters exhibit actual human emotion? This is why DS9 remains the best of the bunch. These are people. REAL people. They have agendas. They act like human beings act. They live in a world of shades of grey, not black and white. It's also no surprise that Ronald. D. Moore, who wrote the great script for First Contact was the creator of DS9. This is a man who knows how to do sci-fi right, as we'll see later as well. There is a series-long arc that gets a good jump in the second season and goes all the way till the end. The show is riveting at best, and even in the episodic episodes of the first season, you can see the foundation being laid for what is to come. Avery Brooks is amazing as the widowed Benjamin Sisco, and he has a very realistic relationship with his son. All of the characters are fully fleshed-out and developed over the course of the series, which unfortunately was ended after seven years even though it could have gone on much longer. Another point of contention: while TNG needed to end after seven years because it simply ran out of story-lines (and a movie franchise was waiting), DS9's seven-year mandated life-span was too short, as it ends quite abruptly. Unfortunately, this seven-year life-span was ill-suited to the terrible Voyager, as it should have ended much sooner, but I digress. Anyway, I've spent a loooong time explaining why DS9 and not the other ones. Off to number 9.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Master Fan

Interesting quote.

I don't disagree about DS9's strengths, I just think that the weaknesses tend to be conveniently forgotten.

I love DS9, but like all Star Trek it was a mixed bag.

If we had gotten more than one season of Ezri and more than one episode of Mirror Ezri I could get enthused about proclaiming DS9 the best of Trek.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Glad you enjoyed reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexEvans (View Post)

I don't disagree about DS9's strengths, I just think that the weaknesses tend to be conveniently forgotten.
Isn't that true of most things though? If you like it, you can overlook the weak spots, if you dislike it, the weak spots are glaringly obvious.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nice to see DS9 at number ten.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Elite Fan

I'm glad DS9 was so high up on the list, well even on the list. I've always felt like DS9 is the best dramatic series in the bunch. I loved the writing and the storylines on the show and felt like it was the shining gem in the Trek series.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I'm always happy to see a Trek series mentioned on one of these, but I have to admit that I could never really get into DS9.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Elite Fan

Really?

I'll admit that having them stationed on a main base instead of all over the galaxy was at time boring, but I loved the mythology behind the series and the war with the Dominion.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Passionate Fan

Dukat was a great villian. Giving him a daughter was a good twist and seeing how they deal with each other. Hated seeing her die though.

BTW, was Dukat ever the head of Cardassia (not sure what the title is.)
Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Elite Fan

I loved to hate Dukat, but I was upset that he seemed to go over to the bad side in the end, especially after his daughter died.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson (View Post)
BTW, was Dukat ever the head of Cardassia (not sure what the title is.)
According to Memory Alpha:
Quote:
Dukat, S.G. was a Cardassian military officer who served as Prefect of Bajor in the final years of the Bajoran Occupation. As the last person to hold the position, Dukat lost favor with Cardassian Central Command and fell into a downward spiral for several years. However, he became ruler of the Cardassian Union overnight after he negotiated Cardassia's entry into the Dominion.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexEvans (View Post)
If we had gotten more than one season of Ezri and more than one episode of Mirror Ezri I could get enthused about proclaiming DS9 the best of Trek.
Would have been better if Jadzia had stuck around and we hadn't gotten her lame replacement at all.