Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

I compare the final dual-spin with the CanNats performance and don't see big difference with his free-leg. it did come up and came down (in both events), maybe a bit earlier at the OG. But Tessa knowing it right away that his leg came down to early would be amazing.

I think Merylana is right, he over-rotated his final solo-spin. At CanNats, he did 1 rotation and 1.5 at the OG.

now for the spam:

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Master Fan

Ha! I've never noticed the hand placement at the Nationals performance before!

It was a particularly demonstrative week for them (see also: shoulder and forehead kisses immediately following FD, the gala finale twirl, other things I think I'm forgetting). The effect of being home in London and all accompanied by pre-Olympic excitement, I guess.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Okay, this last five seconds thing is driving me crazy, plus it's true they are not facing the judges at the finish. So, I looked at a series of "proper" endings from other Mahlers, and then once again at the Olympic ending. I don't think the free leg plays a role - it's suspended in the Olympics and then as in all the other performances too, he lowers his free leg to the ice so that his inside edge continues to describe a curve to finish the spin. The suspension of the free leg might be a beat longer in other performances, but it's not the problem with the ending at the Olympics.

The problem is ... when he releases Tessa as he stands. When they do it properly, they stand up while continuing to spin, and Scott releases Tessa to his right, then continues 180 to face the other way (towards the judges), kneel, look to his left and catch Tessa. Properly done, he releases Tessa to his right while facing away from the judges, continues to spin a half rotation to face the judges, descends to one knee, and catches Tessa from his left.

At the Olympics he releases Tessa a beat late. The momentum of his spin, and him not releasing her sooner sort of carries her a bit in front of him when she's released, instead of directly to his right. She has the choice of course correcting and adjusting right, but I think that would have been awkward - or following the momentem to his left. I think she did the right thing. So when he continues and ends up facing the judges, she's on the wrong side. He turns around so she'll be left when he catches her.

Anyhow, I think if you look at the point of release from Worlds and from Olympics, you'll see it. At the Olympics, Tessa is released more in front of him than to his right, and I think to make it look natural she carried her own movement over to the left side.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Heh heh, awesomesauce. I just watched that interview again and Scott's "we would talk through that free dance a million times...in the shower, getting ready..." and then he catches himself and OOPS NO! CORRECTION.

HILARITY ENSUES. Gotta love that look Tessa shoots him there. HAHAHAHAHA.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
Heh heh, awesomesauce. I just watched that interview again and Scott's "we would talk through that free dance a million times...in the shower, getting ready..." and then he catches himself and OOPS NO! CORRECTION.

HA! I caught that, too, but wasn't sure that he could possibly have said that. Glad to have it verified. Reminds me of that WSJ video where he randomly looks at Tessa while talking about listening to Hail the Villain in the shower each morning while getting ready.

Oh, Scott.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Addicted Fan

really loved the Q and A- especially because there were questions that have never been asked before! Amelia, thanks so much for posting!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
HA! I caught that, too, but wasn't sure that he could possibly have said that. Glad to have it verified. Reminds me of that WSJ video where he randomly looks at Tessa while talking about listening to Hail the Villain in the shower each morning while getting ready.

Oh, Scott.
Her look is freaking PRICELESS. He just sort of stumbles all over himself in that little exchange doesn't he? He makes that comment, and then he's like "Danger Will Robinson! REVERSE! REVERSE!" She gives him A LOOK doesn't she? And I'M LAUGHING.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris9918 (View Post)
Her look is freaking PRICELESS. He just sort of stumbles all over himself in that little exchange doesn't he? He makes that comment, and then he's like "Danger Will Robinson! REVERSE! REVERSE!" She gives him A LOOK doesn't she? And I'M LAUGHING.
And yet, people who nod while the other person discusses waking up in the middle of the night still going through the FD steps? Don't have much room to glare at others for saying something that gives off a certain impression...

(Though at least Tessa's not the one who's just compounded previous incidents like "Four or five times every morning, for sure, but she's on time. She'll set it early and then snooze, snooze, snooze. She gets ready really fast though." Dude. Maybe stop answering things that way and people will stop asking certain questions...)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Loyal Fan

I do love that little interaction, because we get to see Tessa's "look that says shut up." I might like it even better than the "look that says no."

Another interesting moment was the question about their media training, which apparently consisted of watching other Canadian athletes and speaking from the heart.

Thanks for posting, Marcy!

ETA: Scott. Darling. Ilderton's signs have nothing to do with it.

ETA2: So, I haven't seen that gif of the COI Mahler ending in a long while, and it struck me all over again how blatant and intentional Scott's hand placement is. My favorite part, though, has got to be the way his eyes are slightly open at the end, just when we thought it might have been an accident. Hand on breast? Check.

Last edited by hackysack; 06-29-2010 at 10:40 PM
Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackysack (View Post)
Another interesting moment was the question about their media training, which apparently consisted of watching other Canadian athletes and speaking from the heart.
Don't forget good parenting!

I found that an especially interesting moment, though, with Tessa's "We just watched other athletes" -- mainly because it's remarkable how much Tessa and Scott's pre-Olympic statements, going back for the past couple of years, actually, resembled the kind they made after their victory, too. I guess they just have a really good instinct for knowing what to YAY SKATE CANADA say!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
And yet, people who nod while the other person discusses waking up in the middle of the night still going through the FD steps? Don't have much room to glare at others for saying something that gives off a certain impression...

(Though at least Tessa's not the one who's just compounded previous incidents like "Four or five times every morning, for sure, but she's on time. She'll set it early and then snooze, snooze, snooze. She gets ready really fast though." Dude. Maybe stop answering things that way and people will stop asking certain questions...)
Ha ha ha yeah, at least her answer about his morning routine started with an "I think" with a "probably" thrown in there.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackysack (View Post)
Yeah. That's interesting and all, heh, since all things considered, I'm pretty sure I counted about twenty YAY SKATE CANADA! tourettes moments in that thirty minute clip. But no. NO MEDIA TRAINING WHATSOEVER!

ETA: Sorry about that weird double post. Don't know what happened.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 PM
New Fan

I love that interview and Tessa seems more at ease.

Quote:

Is it me or is Tessa's nose really squishing into Scott's face?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:

Don't forget that part a little bit after wards were he says something about them 'coming together'....I know I'm terrible, but I was giggling through out that whole bit, Oh Scott! And Tessa staring at him the whole time, freaking hysterical!

ETA: BABS, yeah Tessa nose is exactly what I focus on whenever I see that picture. Yeah, her nose is really squishing into his face.

~In all of this chaos, we've found peace~
Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Loyal Fan

I've definitely noticed that nose thing before, and it's a bit distracting. I kinda like it, though.

Scott tearing up as Tessa told the story of her injury was a rather sweet moment. They really did trade personas for this interview. I half expected him to giggle and forget the question, as Tessa called Scott her brother and did a dorky dance.

Heh, Nessa. If I had a dollar for every dirty joke Scott or Tessa accidentally told, I could buy you all dinner.

Last edited by hackysack; 06-29-2010 at 11:03 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread