Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Loyal Fan

thanks for all the pics. It seems like the film is going to be great.
Wish me luck with it, Mary.
God knows I wish the best for you."
Old 09-15-2010, 05:43 PM
New Fan

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for new filiming info and the the twit pic. After that amazing day we had of pics I've been feeling One Day Dexter/Emma deprived . How much more are they filming still? I read that article about waterloo filiming and how tomorrow it will be someone in a red phone box(I think I read that right), I wonder if it's Jim? I know he will be in L.A Sun for the LOG premiere ,according to JSO.com, so I wonder if they will be done filimg soon b/c of the actors schedules. As always thanks for any and all info.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Elite Fan

Ann Hathaway filming 'One Day' in Lower Marsh on Twitpic
Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
New Fan

wow! thanks for the photo...I don't know how you manage to find these but they are uh-mazing! I wonder what scene they're filming here? and if I have to guess the girl with the short red hair could be Tilly? Ahh I get more and more excitied! I gotta admit...I'll be sad once filming is completed, the wait between now and the first movie still or interview about One Day will be super difficult and without a doubt centuries long. Anyways, keep up the uh-mazing work! and thank you!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM
New Fan

As always thanks you so much for the pic. I agree with pinkmartinisympathiquexx, I don't know how you find out theses pic or info, but you rock for doing it
And I also agree, the wait between now and when we fianlly will start getting something for One Day(pics, interviews, trailers,photoshoots, etc) feels like forever! I want to start a possible discussion of that's ok. Just to keep the thread going. What scenes are you most looking forward to and what do you hope they'll show in the trailer? I know we already read the book and know what happens, but since we know they will probably add stuff how much would you like them to show in the trailer? I can't wait to see the maze scene, that has to be one of my fav moments between them. I hope when they show the trailer they promote it in the right way. Not like some chick flick rom com b/c it's so much more than that. I actually consider it a romanctic comedy/drama. A dramedy
Keep up the awesome work!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robyn (View Post)
I want to start a possible discussion of that's ok. Just to keep the thread going. What scenes are you most looking forward to and what do you hope they'll show in the trailer? I know we already read the book and know what happens, but since we know they will probably add stuff how much would you like them to show in the trailer? I can't wait to see the maze scene, that has to be one of my fav moments between them. I hope when they show the trailer they promote it in the right way. Not like some chick flick rom com b/c it's so much more than that. I actually consider it a romanctic comedy/drama. A dramedy
Keep up the awesome work!
I agree...I hope we keep this thread going with any recent news, pictures, interviews etc.
I think the scenes I'm looking forward to the most is the hedge maze as well...also when Dex visits his mom at his family home, the grad party when Dex sees Em for the first time, Edinburgh! (of course), when Dex sorts through Emma's stuff, and the conversation between Dex and his father on the couch...basically everything hahaha.
I think Focus features will promote this movie as a romantic/drama but showing the funny banter between Em and Dex as well...I have complete trust in Focus Features.

Also latest news from JSO.com
Two journalists from the Guardian have tweeted about filming outside their office on September 12 and 13:

"September 12: A film starring Anne Hathaway is shooting outside my office tomorrow. I need to dust down my stalking night-vision goggles. Been chatting with location crew, when I go for a fag break. She's taken up my parking space, mind."
"September 13: Bloody film crew made me park so far away from my office, I'll need to cross the international date line to get back to my car."

As well someone has "tweeted" the location of Dex's flat on Crinan Street

"September 14: Very Exciting News. They are filming One Day outside the Guardian offices. Dexter's poncy flat is on Crinan Street."

Last edited by pinkmartinisympathiquexx; 09-16-2010 at 06:51 PM
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Elite Fan

Well, there's a movie shot by our window - Anne Hathaway - One Day [old pics about the finale - BIG SPOILER]

Quote:
Author Imagines 'One Day' For Connected People

June 19, 2010

David Nicholls' novel One Day has become one of the most popular novel in Britain. Each chapter is a snapshot of where July 15 finds the main characters over the 20 years following their high school graduation, as they keep finding -- and just missing -- each other.

SCOTT SIMON, host:

This is WEEKEND EDITION from NPR News. Im Scott Simon.

July 15 rolls around in about a month. For most of us, it's another day in the middle of summer. But readers of David Nicholls' novel "One Day," which has been one of the most popular recent books in Britain, will know that July 15, 1988, is the day that Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew meet on their last day of school in Scotland, then go their separate ways.

Each chapter of the novel is a snapshot of where July 15 finds Emma and Dexter over the next 20 years, as they keep finding and just missing each other, with dialogue thats been acclaimed for its crackling wit and observations.

Nick Hornby, the novelist, calls it the perfect beach read for people who are normally repelled by the very idea of beach reads.

"One Day" has just been published in the United States in time for July 15th, and David Nicholls joins us from London.

Thanks so much for being with us.

Mr. DAVID NICHOLLS (Author, "One Day"): It's a pleasure.

SIMON: And talk about this technique of picking one day over a time span of 20 years.

Mr. NICHOLLS: Well, I wanted to write something quite epic, something about a large period of time and a large cast of characters. I myself turned 40 while I was - when I was about to start the book, and I was interested in the difference between my 20-year-old self and my 40-year-old self. Yet to cover 20 years seemed sort of exhausting.
So I hit upon this idea of just taking a day, seemingly at random, and showing that day 20 times. So some of the days are very eventful and very significant, and some of the days are just very ordinary. But it was a way of telling a big story but using snapshots, using 20 set pieces.

SIMON: We should mention that when the novel opens, these two people are in bed together, but they dont seem right for each other.

Mr. NICHOLLS: Yeah, I...

SIMON: Or am I wrong about that?

Mr. NICHOLLS: Well, I think it's certainly the wrong time for them to be together, so that the challenge was to constantly find ways to keep them apart - whether it's fate intervening or bad luck or bad timing, or the fact that they haven't quite grown up enough. Each year, I have to find a reason for them to delay, you know, what might seem inevitable.
And certainly, I think when they first meet, they're about as different as they could be. There's an attraction between them but Dexter is very self-confidant, very privileged, very complacent. Emma is very anxious, very insecure, very passionate and intense. So I think it would be the wrong moment.

SIMON: Let me get you to read a priceless paragraph from the book, where Dexter wakes up in Emma's room and points out some of the differences between them.

Mr. NICHOLLS: He exhales through his nose and shuffled up the bed, taking in the shabby rented room, knowing with absolute confidence that somewhere in amongst the art postcards and photocopied posters for angry plays, there will be a photograph of Nelson Mandela, like some dreamy, ideal boyfriend. In his last four years in this city, he had seen any number of bedrooms like this, dotted round the city like crime scenes, rooms where you were never more than six feet from a Nina Simone album. And although he'd rarely seen the same bedroom twice, it was all too familiar.
The burnt-out nightlights and desolate pot plants, the smell of washing powder on cheap, ill-fitting sheets. She had that arty girl's passion for photomontage too; flash-lit snaps of college friends and family jumbled in amongst the Chagalls and Vermeers and Kandinskys, the Che Guevaras and Woody Allens and Samuel Becketts. Nothing here was neutral; everything displayed an allegiance or a point of view.
The room was a manifesto and with a sigh, Dexter recognized her as one of those girls who used bourgeois as a term of abuse. He could understand why fascist might have negative connotations, but he liked the word bourgeois and all that it implied - security, travel, nice food, good manners, ambition. What was he meant to be apologizing for?

(Soundbite of laughter)

SIMON: Welcome back to 1988.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SIMON: Dexter wants to be thought of as cool.

Mr. NICHOLLS: Exactly, yeah. I think he doesnt really have a vocation. He just wants things to be fun and attractive. I think he has an idea of life as spread from a magazine. And as his life goes on, he discovers that things are a little more complicated than that.

SIMON: Having no particular talents or accomplishments or ambitions, he - I think we can say in this company - is naturally led into broadcasting.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SIMON: Well, it's interesting because some of the funniest sections are these satires of the world of theater and television. So if I could, let me ask you about an actor I've heard about, named David Holdaway.

Mr. NICHOLLS: Ah, yes. He's not been seen for a while.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. NICHOLLS: David Holdaway was my stage name. I was an actor for about eight years in the '90s. I had to change my name because there was another David Nicholls, and I thought if I changed it to my mother's name, she'd be touched. But I think then she saw me in some plays and was horrified that I was bringing shame on the family.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. NICHOLLS: I worked as an actor, mainly on stage, through most of the '90s, but I was nearly always in non-speaking roles - animals, soldiers, silhouettes. I did a lot of big acting in very small roles.
And for a long time, I was very bitter about that whole period, thought of it very much as wasted time. But I'm getting a little more philosophical about it now. I think I learned a lot about dialogue and performance and good writing, what distinguishes good writing. And I met some extraordinary people. For three years, I was at the National Theater, and I ran on stage every night and nodded at Judi Dench, and that was my role - as a Russian peasant in "The Seagull." And that was kind of as good as it got.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. NICHOLLS: But it was a privilege to be in that company.

SIMON: Its irresistible to observe: There you were, an actor running on stage, playing animals, trees, speechless peasants. As a novelist, you get to control all of that.

Mr. NICHOLLS: Absolutely. It's the great, sort of dizzy-making thing about being a novelist. You have a great deal more power. Youre involved throughout the process. And if a book goes well, it's completely down to you. And if a book goes badly, then it's also completely down to you. Working as an actor in theater, it's much more collaborative, much more social; there's a lot more debate.

SIMON: There are times in this story when Emma Morley is pathetic, and Dexter Mayhew is insufferable. But they see through to something else in each other.

Mr. NICHOLLS: I think both characters are very flawed. The great pleasure in writing a novel is, you don't get to just write the behavior; you get to write the inner thought process as well. And I think there are enough good intentions, enough self-awareness in their thoughts and in their inner monologue to redeem their worst behavior. But I think it was also - I also wanted to write a redemption story, and for there to be some redemption, then there has to be some bad behavior first. So I hope by the end of the book, theyve become better, decent people.

SIMON: Every year they find each other again and spend some time - for something like 15 years, they wind up just saying, see you later. But without giving away too much, the theme of your book seems to be it's worth it to hold out for that special someone.

Mr. NICHOLLS: Yes, I didnt want to be sentimental, but I think that there's a very familiar notion for most love stories - which is, you know, that they're meant for each other, and usually there's a sort of eyes meet and then a flash of lightning and that's it, they're together. And my own experience has been much more of a slow burn. So I wanted to write a love story that had all the passion and emotion of a classic, big, epic love story - but with no flashes of lightning.
I also think there's a lot of fate in the novel. I'm not a great believer in real life of fate, but one of the starting points for the novel was Thomas Hardy. There's a passage in Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" that inspired the novel, which I can't talk about without giving away the ending. But the idea that a missed letter, a phone call isn't answered, a chance remark can alter the course of your life, is quite a Hardy-esque idea, and there's a lot of that in the book. There are a lot of letters that should've been sent, and phone calls that should've been answered.

SIMON: David Nicholls. His hugely successful novel, "One Day," has just been published in the United States.

Mr. Nicholls, thanks so much.

Mr. NICHOLLS: A pleasure.
Author Imagines 'One Day' For Connected People : NPR

Some quotes from bookquotes-bookquotes.blogspot.com:

"I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference," she said. "You know, actually change something."(opening line)
♥ ♥ ♥
"So I've given this whole "growing old" thing some thought and I've come to the decision that I'd like to stay exactly as I am right now."(5)
♥ ♥ ♥
'At twenty three, Dexter Mayhew's vision of his future was no clearer than Emma Morley's. He hoped to be successful, to make his parents proud and to sleep with more than one woman at the same time, but how to make these all compatible?... He wanted to live life to the extreme, but without any mess or complications. He wanted to live life in such a way that if a photograph were taken at random, it would be a cool photograph. Things should look right. Fun; there should be a lot of fun and no more sadness than absolutely necessary.'(9)
♥ ♥ ♥
'The trick of it, she told herself, is to be courageous and bold and make a difference. Not change the world exactly, just the bits around you. Go out there with your double-first, your passion and your new Smith Corona electric typewriter and work hard at... something. Change lives through art maybe. Write beautifully. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully well. Experience new things. Love and be loved if at all possible. Eat sensibly. Stuff like that.'(12)
♥ ♥ ♥
'You're gorgeous, you old hag, and if I could give you just one gift ever for the rest of your life it would be this. Confidence. It would be the gift of Confidence. Either that or a scented candle.'(42)
♥ ♥ ♥
'I will find you, I've been thinking about you. Dex and Em, Em and Dex-- what was he thinking?(49)
♥ ♥ ♥
'Rule Number Five. No scrabble. More and more of his friends were playing it now, in a knowing ironic way, triple-word-score-craving freaks, but it seemed to him like a game designed expressly to make him feel stupid and bored. No Scrabble and no Boggle either; he wasn't dead yet.'(74)
♥ ♥ ♥
"I'm not scared of her, I'm just not going to do it so that we can say that we've done it. And I'm not going to do it if the first thing you say afterwards is "please don't tell anyone" or "let's forget it ever happened". If you have to keep something secret it's because you shouldn't be doing it in the first place!"(100)
♥ ♥ ♥
'I love him, she thought, I'm just not in love with him and also I don't love him. I've tried, I've strained to love him but I can't. I am building a life with a man I don't love, and I don't know what to do about it.'(187)
♥ ♥ ♥
"Sympathy for the spinster. I'm perfectly content, thank you. And I refuse to be defined by my boyfriend. Or lack of." She was starting to speak with real zeal now. "Once you decide not to worry about that stuff anymore, dating and relationships and love and all that, it's like you're free to get on with real life."(286)
♥ ♥ ♥
'Ridiculous at thirty-eight, to expect a song or book or film to change your life. No, everything had evened out and settled down and life was lived against a general background hum of comfort, satisfaction and familiarity. There would be no more of those nerve-jangling highs and lows.'(382)
♥ ♥ ♥
"‘What are you going to do with your life?’ In one way or another it seemed that people had been asking her this forever; teachers, her parents, friends at three in the morning, but the question had never seemed this pressing and still she was no nearer an answer. The future rose up ahead of her, a succession of empty days, each more daunting and unknowable than the one before her. How would she ever fill them all?" (433)
♥ ♥ ♥

Last edited by Gio Gio; 09-17-2010 at 10:19 AM
Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM
New Fan

Yes I think Focus will do right by it. They seem to be a quality studio. I wonder how much more is left in filming. Jim's heading to US for LOTG Premiere and promotion, and Anne is supposedly filming a movie soon with Jon Hamm when he finishes S4 of Mad men. Do you think Jim will get asked any questions during promotion for his other movie? Maybe he'll mention it
I love the maze scene, I can't really say why it's just something about it. It just show their great chemistry how they haven't really seen each other all this time but can still have that natural ease and banter with each other. Greece trip is great too, so funny and I love how they banter(that word again :p). I also will love the scenes with his Mom, I have a feeling Jim and Patricia will break my heart in those scenes. And even though it's a sad moment I want to see their fight too that they have on that terrible date. Just b/c I know Anne/Jim will do such an amazing job in that scene. And when they're together and about to get married they're playfulness with each other. Jim playing a Dad, I'm a sucker for that I gotta say ♥. Gah, there's so many scenes I'm looking forward to and can't wait to see what was added. I can't just pick one
Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Elite Fan

It isn't simple to choose a favourite scene but I'm sure about my least favourite scene...
I suppose Jim will say something about this movie during LOTG promotion, if someone will ask to him about it. We can hope

Some arts

Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM
New Fan

I think they have completed filming or it will be completed by the end of tomorrow and from what I've been told principal photography (another word for filming) generally takes 2-3months. Either way I'm quite sad that the end is near.
I don't know if they will directly ask Jim about One Day but they will definitely ask him what he has been up to since 21 (his previous big budget film). Speaking of big budget films I've been told the budget for One Day wasn't much but with that aside I think the promotion for this film will definitely be similar to one considering the people involved i.e. Anne Hathaway, Lone Scherfig, Romola Garai, David Nicholls, Jodie Whittaker, Patricia Clarkson....all due to their recognition from either Oscar or BIFA nominations and Awards. So there will be quite a lot of talk surrounding this movie since this is Lone Scherfig first film after the success of An Education (bigger question is can she strike gold twice?) :s
I'm really looking forward to see how Lone Scherfig will present this story...I really hope she will stay true to feel of it. Lainey from Lainey Gossip did a book review of One Day and she said it best, "Because they felt so real, because it’s like I knew them and still do, because it made me giddy and knotty in the stomach, and bored through some parts, and warm with familiarity through others, and really really sad, and mad, and so happy and above all so grateful for it like any true relationship and its emotional course.". I hope they keep to the heart of the friendship and of course without forgetting the attraction shared between Dex and Em. I know Lone has been recognized so far (not only from An Education) but of her previous films and I just hope this movie has just as much luck as the rest of her other films and it doesn't become the film that didn't work well on the screen. I just think a lot of people related/connected to this story in some way or another and it will be quite a bigger letdown more so than anything if it doesn't translate well on the screen. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it will work out!

artwork I found:

also another photo of Jim and Anne running:
Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Elite Fan

Em

♥ ♥ ♥
“You’re gorgeous, old hag, and if I could give you just one gift ever for the rest of your life it would be this. Confidence. It would be the gift of confidence. Either that or a scented candle.” — Dexter Mayhew
♥ ♥ ♥
“Dexter, I love you so much. So, so much, and I probably always will. I just don’t like you anymore. I’m sorry.” — Emma Morley
♥ ♥ ♥
Emma: ‘I tell you what it is. It’s…. when I didn’t see you, I thought about you every day, I mean every day in some way or another….’

Dexter: ‘Same here….’

Emma: ‘—- even if it was just “I wish Dexter could see this” or “where’s Dexter now?” or “Christ, that Dexter, what an idiot”, you know what I mean, and seeing you today, well, I thought I’d got you back - my best friend. And now all this, the wedding, the baby - I’m so, so happy for you Dex. But it feels like I’ve lost you again’
♥ ♥ ♥
Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
New Fan

I love the pictures of them running, they look so cute in them and thanks you for all the qoutes, pics, and arts.
I know what you mean pinkmartinisympathiquexx , this story,relationship, and characters are so close to our hearts that we hope they do them justice on the big screen. I have complete faith in Lone's vision whatever it may be. I've listened to her commetary on An Education and she has such an eye for detail, story, and character. I've heard the film to see that's she done is called Italian for Beginners. Some people on IMDB said it's a good one to see for this project. I don't think we can really judge anything yet based on pap pics. I think we need to wait and see a trailer so we can get a clearer idea of what this fim will be like. But as I said many times the fact that it's a quality studio, acclaimed director, fantastic cast, writer of the book wrote the script and has been to readings as well as set visits, and the crew BTS is also known for brilliant work means we will be happy with the end product.
I think I did a run on sentence there sorry.
The wait is unbearable but think how much better the film will be the time they take to make it perfect
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Elite Fan

Anne is in New York, so I suppose she finished to film her scenes.
Twitter / Paul Evans: So I just so Anne Hathaway ...

♥ ♥ ♥
They smiled at each other. Then, as if an idea had suddenly occurred to her, she quickly crossed the room in three long strides, took his face between her hands, and kissed him, and he placed his hand upon her back, finding the dress still unfastened, the skin bare and cool and still damp from the shower. They kissed like this for some time. Then, still holding his face in her hands, she looked at him intently. ‘If you muck me about, Dexter.’

‘I won’t -‘

‘I mean it, if you lead me on or let me down or go behind my back, I will murder you. I swear to God, I will eat your heart.’

‘I won’t do that, Em.’

‘You won’t?’

‘I swear I won’t’

And then she frowned, and shook her head, then put her arms around him once more, pressing her face into his shoulder, making a noise that sounded almost like rage.

‘What’s up?’ he asked.

‘Nothing, Oh, nothing. Just…’ She looked up at him. ‘I thought I’d finally got rid of you.’

‘I don’t think you can,’ he said.
♥ ♥ ♥

Last edited by Gio Gio; 09-19-2010 at 09:26 AM
Old 09-19-2010, 01:51 PM
New Fan

Oh I love that part in the book. My heart :')♥ I could read it over and over. And you picked the perfect pics to show for it. I could see the enitre scene in those pics. And that hug one is new I haven't seen that one.
Yeah Jim's in L.A. promoting LOTG so my guess they're done with the main stuff. Now we play the waiting game.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread