Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Emma, Dexter and my Summer Book List
It’s Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew. And it really, really is, non?
Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess were photographed in Edinburgh this weekend working on One Day. Look at them them! They totally ARE! Jim’s hair. He’s gorgeous. Like so much. And Annie’s clothes, the way she looks in glasses, even her gait a little bit... I can see it now, and I love it.
As noted on a few previous occasions, One Day by David Nicholls is probably so far my favourite book of the summer. And yes overseas bitches, I know you’ve had it for a year, but One Day was only released at the end of June in North America. So you’re lucky and we’re behind. But we are all in love with a book about two people and their relationship over two decades seen through one day each year – the anniversary of their meeting.
Why?
Because they felt so real, because it’s like I knew them and still do, because it made me giddy and knotty in the stomach, and bored through some parts, and warm with familiarity through others, and really really sad, and mad, and so happy and above all so grateful for it like any true relationship and its emotional course.
Some are categorising One Day as a beach read. I guess it is if you mean quick, compelling, and easy. Easy however doesn’t mean unsophisticated and uncomplicated. It just doesn’t feel that way because Nicholls, a screenwriter, kinda wrote a movie. But, without revealing spoilers, Dexter’s charm combined with his self inflicted avalanche of disappointment and Emma’s predictable underdog likeability, undermined by her infuriatingly low expectations are parts of a character richness created by this author that elevate One Day from more than just lame chick lit to something much more resonant. Some would even argue that Emma and Dexter’s attributes and experiences were shared by a generation, and those of you who came of age in the 80s might agree – suddenly it all wasn’t enough: school was enough, trying wasn’t enough, confidence wasn’t enough...
Are love and hope enough? You have to read it to decide.
I’ve read One Day twice already, clutched it everywhere with me at one point because it’s so ****ing good. And now to see that, at the very least, the casting seems to make sense, with Lone Scherfig directing (An Education), it’s a relief that the film prospects are promising
One Day book review

Quote:
Happy Anne & Beautiful Jim
Anne Hathaway seems to be really, really enjoying this shoot. Good. I am newly optimistic about her playing Emma Morley in One Day and if she’s happy at work it must mean that she likes the work and if she likes the work than hopefully the work is good. Or she’s flirting with that cute boy who I don’t think is her boyfriend.
Whatever. Here are Anne and my Jim Sturgess in Edinburgh filming today on Arthur’s Seat and if you’ve read it, you know about Arthur’s Seat and now I want to cry. God look how gorgeous Jim looks as Dexter. This movie is going to BREAK me.
Anne Hathaway Jim Sturgess shoot One Day on Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh 03aug10

Quote:
Anne wins Emmy, rides bike
Anne Hathaway is an Emmy Award winner now, receiving the Creative Arts Emmy for Best Voice-Over Performance in The Simpsons this weekend. There is already talk that Anne’s work in Love & Other Drugs could be considered for an Oscar nomination. And you know she is trained for the stage and, yes, she can sing too. EGOT? Oh don’t be so greedy.
Anne wasn’t in Los Angeles to collect her Emmy because she’s currently shooting One Day in London. If you’ve read the book and you look at these photos, you know the scene.
If you haven’t read the book...
Well then you don’t know Emma and Dexter and that must suck for you.
Anne’s wig action has been solid lately.
Anne Hathaway wins Emmy for The Simpsons shoots bike scene from One Day in London 23aug10

Quote:
Monsieur Dexter
Have you read One Day yet? Please do soon. Because I always forget to alert for spoilers and it’s so hard especially when set shots are being released and besides, what’s the delay anyway? It’s one of the best books of the summer, if not the best book of the summer and it will break your heart and make you happy, so why are you putting it off? One Day is a story for which you’ll have so much affection and tenderness for a long, long time. If you know about Emma and Dexter, you’ve no doubt this is true.
And here they are, the film versions in Paris today, shooting that scene when she meets him at the station and, well, it all happens after and it really is as it’s written, at least to me anyway, the way he’s touching her hair, and loving it short (a wig by the way, and another good one), and older, damaged, weary, but ready. Finally ready. Sob!
Thanks God Hugh Grant is too old now to play this. Because Jim is perfect. And back in the day, they would have made that uninspired decision – Hugh for everything but fortunately not for Dex.
Dex, as you can see, is most definitely Jim Sturgess, right down to the way his head is titled to the side as he’s walking towards her and her adorable sign.
It’s awful and wonderful at the same time isn’t it? The way a book stays with you and comes back in aches in your stomach. I don’t have my copy of One Day with me right now as Fiona borrowed it and I have no idea why it’s taking her so long and I should get on her ass about this later at the gym, but every time I see it, in a bookstore, or when it used to sit on my nightstand because I love re-reading certain passages, I’d feel the warm familiarity, not unlike the kind of rush you have for your own closest friends, and here’s what it is: Emma and Dex are like friends. Which is why photos like these are so affecting.
What’s not affecting is how much Jim Sturgess gets ignored. No doubt, Anne Hathaway is much more famous. So most of the photos in this series, and every other pap series, focus on her. There are VERY FEW, if any, that show Jim’s face straight on despite the fact, as you can see, that there was plenty opportunity. Please paparazzi, even that sh-t out.
Anne Hathaway with short wig shoots One Day with Jim Sturgess in Paris 31aug10

Quote:
Weak
Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess are back at it in Paris this morning on location for One Day and, well, see for yourself. They’re making it happen. And that is a good movie kiss. The makings of a great movie kiss: some tension off the top, then she initiates, and he tries to resist with his hands in his pockets but ends up overcome by emotion and totally goes for it with his fingers around her neck and his shoulders hitched up, and their foreheads meet at the very end with, hopefully, some tender words exchanged to seal it. Just for this, he’s unseated Garrett Hedlund at the top of the Five List.
Trust me, if you’ve read the book, you know the significance. Read the ****ing book. It’ll be a year, or just more, before this film is released.
Anne Hathaway Jim Sturgess kiss in Paris while shooting One Day 01sept10

Pics:
Anne and Jim - 082810 - X17 Galleries
Anne and Jim - 083110 - X17 Galleries
Anne and Jim - 090110 - X17 Galleries

Last edited by Gio Gio; 09-02-2010 at 05:03 AM
Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Total Fan

*dies on the floor*
Can I be added please?? I freaking ADORE these two. The book was amazing in every way, I didn't know they were making a movie of it! I can't wait to see it

Annie & Mitchell
C l a i r e
Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Elite Fan

I added you. I'm glad to see another fan here

Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess on the set of ONE DAY today in... on Twitpic
Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Total Fan

Thanks for the add
Amazing set pictures, they look great together

Annie & Mitchell
C l a i r e
Old 09-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Elite Fan

I love their chemistry

Old 09-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Total Fan

So much love

Annie & Mitchell
C l a i r e
Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Elite Fan

I agree. They are so adorable together

Some pics of Jim and Anne with Patricia Clarkson (Dexter's mom)

Last edited by Gio Gio; 09-04-2010 at 09:59 AM
Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM
New Fan

love the book and love that they are turning this into a film...AH! super excitied. After seeing the on-set photos in Paris I dont think they could have casted a more perfect lead actor/actress for this film.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
love the book and love that they are turning this into a film...AH! super excitied. After seeing the on-set photos in Paris I dont think they could have casted a more perfect lead actor/actress for this film
Agreed. Even from just photos it's obvious that Anne and Jim have great chemistry

Annie & Mitchell
C l a i r e
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineSoBright23 (View Post)
Agreed. Even from just photos it's obvious that Anne and Jim have great chemistry
Yeah! from the photos I've been seeing lately they look like they're both enjoying filming One Day....so that's a pretty good sign that this would translate on to the screen. Also I just recently visited One Day on imdb.com and they recently added a new character in the film....Ian's wife played by Natalie Hallam which only adds maybe adding a visual scene of Ian's life when Jim reads the letter Ian wrote to him?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Loyal Fan

The make-out pics are amaaazing.
Wish me luck with it, Mary.
God knows I wish the best for you."
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 PM
New Fan

OMG, I get off the computer for a week to go on vaction and I come back to all these goodies! I'm fangirling do much right now, they are Dex/Em in those pics. God, just perfect. If there was ever any doubt about those two, which there shouldn't be, these pics should have ended it. The chemistry is pouring out of them. And these are pap pics, imagine when the film itself comes out. I loved the ones where they're holding each other so close and she looks like she crying. They both seem to only notice each other and are ingnoring everythign around them, that proves they are committed to these roles. And that kiss! Damn, that's movie kiss there I'm so excited, I need more. I need this movie now!
Do you know if anyone is starting a LJ community for them? I'm surprised no one has yet. I hope so I need icon of these beautiful pics♥
I also like how in some of them you can see when they're Jim/Anne and Dex/Em. They seem to getting along really well, hopefully when promotion starts we'll get a lot of pretty pics with them. And I know this director did commentary on An Education with her two leads so fingers crossed she'll do the same for this !
Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Elite Fan

Anne and Jim are perfect as Emma and Jim Ian's wife isn't necessary for the movie, IMO. She wasn't in the book too.. I hope they will add some scenes from Greece's trip or some other moments. Ian was interesting only because he dated with Emma.

Some pics about the cast

OD cast

Dexter's girls (of course, he had many other girls...): Sylvie (Romola Garai) - Suki Meadows (Georgia King)

Emma's boys: Ian (Rafe Spall) - Mr. Godalming (Jamie Sives)

Em & Dex

"He wanted to live life in such a way that if a photograph were taken at random, it would be a cool photograph"

"I mean it, if you lead me on or let me down or go behind my back, I will murder you. I swear to God, I will eat your heart." - Em to Dex

I updated the main page

Last edited by Gio Gio; 09-05-2010 at 03:01 AM
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Gio (View Post)
Anne and Jim are perfect as Emma and Jim Ian's wife isn't necessary for the movie, IMO. She wasn't in the book too.. I hope they will add some scenes from Greece's trip or some other moments. Ian was interesting only because he dated with Emma.
Sorry about that...I thought it was interesting because if they added a visual scene behind Ian's letter to Dex...it would be amazing to also add flashback of Ian noticing the chemistry Em and Dex had when they were together. Here's a quote from his letter, "Emma always loved you, very, very much. For many years this caused me a great deal of pain and jealousy. I used to overhear your phone-calls and watch you together at parties, and she always lit up and sparkled with you in a way she never did with me". Ugh! I honestly hope they add a few flashbacks especially at the graduation party when Dex couldn't take his eyes off of her. "Of course leaving now would mean that he would never see her again. He wondered if she would mind, and presumed she would: they usually did. But would he mind? He had managed perfectly well without her for four years. Until last night he had been under the impression that she was called Anna, and yet at the party he hadn't been able to look away". Ah! I getting more and more anxious about this movie...I dont know how I will manage to wait a whole year for this movie.

Last edited by pinkmartinisympathiquexx; 09-05-2010 at 07:19 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread