Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Elite Fan

Justin's affeir with Ethan was a classic case of "rebound relationship",IMO,and as such it wasn't meant to last. I think that as soon as justin realized that Ethan isn't going to be " the one" (especialy after he cheated) there was no point in staying. it might sound a bit harsh towards Ethan,but I think his main "role" in that storyline was to make Brian and Justin understand how much they really love and need each other, and how much they really need to invest in their relationship.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu9 (View Post)
I don't think things were rushed between Justin leaving Ethan and getting back to Brian, mostly because I don't think Justin really needed to think about things much. He was always in love with Brian, what he held on to with Ethan was the promise of a different kind of relationship and once that was broken, there was nothing left there.
Well, tbh, it always felt a little like "So I tried to romantic stuff, obviously I am not meant to have that, so I get back to Brian. Nothing will change, but hey, at least I'm in love with him." Especially when then in episode 3.09 that 11o'clock guy showed up. It's like ****ing in Justins face - again. So nothing really changed.

It was still Justin who had to push that relationship, otherwise it wouldn't have been a relationship.

Don't misunderstand, not that I dislike it or that I wouldn't want to them to get back together. But there was still no real talking. They're always talking around the "problems".

Quote:
I wasn't around when the show aired so I don't know enough about the BTS stuff, but I think it's possible they wrote him so unlikable in S3 after seeing reactions to him between the two seasons. I think there are very few people in the fandom who don't dislike Ethan.
But if the reactions were so bad - and I am sure it was - why did they bring him back either? It could've been possible to move on without Ethan. There's Daphne, there's Jen, there's Deb... there are places where Justin could've stayed.

Quote:
I agree that it was such a normal reason to break them up. But I think it made sense, I think it was the only thing the writers could have chosen, because Justin left Brian for a guy who promised him he'd be the only one. Their whole story, in my opinion, was set up so that cheating would be the end of them.
I know it makes sense, but it was just uncool. Especially since Ethan never showed up. I mean, even though most people didn't like him, he could've answered Justin. Especially when he heard that Justin went back with Brian... I mean, Ethan wasn't the only one who wasn't honest, Justin wasn't either, but never got any blame.

{ ... i am the one you fell in love with. who promises you to do it right.
... who won’t lie to you anymore. i’ll make you as happy as you deserve to be ... }

Steffi
Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know what the original plan for Ethan was. If he was immediately just a plot device whose only purpose was to show Justin how empty words can be, or if he was supposed to be something more. I don't think the writers ever intended for him to be a character like Ben, who came later into the story but immediately was written as someone you know is going to stay. I always thought Ethan would go soon. I think maybe in the writers' plan he was supposed to stay a little bit more, but I think it's evident this show needs Brian and Justin to be together to really work. I think we can count on one hand the number of fans who like Ethan and I think that's why the writers rushed things. But he was necessary for Justin to learn something about himself, about love and about Brian, so it wasn't possible to have him gone in the hiatus between S2 and S3. He did have a purpose for the story and that's why they kept him. But they rushed his arc because Brian and Justin together are a force that runs the show in my opinion.

What do you mean that Ethan never showed up? You mean we never saw him again after the breakup? I think that's because he had accomplished what he was there for to begin with. Justin was with him mainly because of the dream he thought Ethan could make true. Once that falls, it's over and there's no real need to see him again.

About the fact Justin didn't get any blame, I think he did get some from the fans. On the show, it's more complicated. The one who could put blame on him was Brian and we know Brian will never do that.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Elite Fan

Steffi- I have to say I don't think that Justin was still pushing the relationship. well,at least not after the reunion. I mean you just have to watch all those PDA moments,on the dance floor, in the street, at Woody's to know some things have changed for Brian. he allowed himself to be much more open about his feelings,because he realized how much Justin means to him during the break up . he even admits that he's got a boyfriend!! (in an unconvetnional way, but still he's not denying that as he used to do )
I hated the end of that amazing sex scene in 309,but after I rewatched it again last week, I see it in a different light. the way Brian describe Justin,and the way they look ay each other means so much. I would have loved it if Brian didn't have to open the door,but I guess even Justin was willing to put up with it,because he knew what Brian really feels,and he knew what to excpect from him.
Manu- I definitely think Ethan was a plot device (thanks for reminding me of that expression )
as for blaming Justin,well,I guess Brian was blaming him,in a way ,when he said Justin shouldn't have fallen for Ethan's BS in the first place

Last edited by WildRose; 07-16-2010 at 10:22 AM
Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I heard somewhere years ago that Cowlip had originally planned for Ethan to be with Justin as a couple but that because of the fans they didn't go that route.
“ We don't know who we are until we're connected to someone else. We're just better human beings when we're with the person we're supposed to be with. I wasn't supposed to leave. I belong here." Quote byTara from Sons of Anarchy 3x01
Icon by Zonikita
Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Elite Fan

I had no idea they changed it because of the way fans reacted to the storyline,but personaly I'm glad they did
Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, that's what I thought
I am sure he was planed for more than 10 episodes...

... who won’t lie to you anymore. i’ll make you as happy as you deserve to be ... }

Steffi
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Can I say the writers were morons if they thought they could pull that off? I mean, I know there are some people who liked Justin with Ethan and some fans of Justin who never liked the way Brian treated him. But if we talk about the majority of the fandom, it would have been a suicide for the show to go with Justin/Ethan for more than what we got!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know I would've stopped watching
“ We don't know who we are until we're connected to someone else. We're just better human beings when we're with the person we're supposed to be with. I wasn't supposed to leave. I belong here." Quote byTara from Sons of Anarchy 3x01
Icon by Zonikita
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Elite Fan

I belive in the power of BJ love. the show would never be the same without them!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

The first part of S3 is good because we get to see Brian pining over Justin, but to me the second part is so much better. It has a different pace and it's more exciting!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Elite Fan

much more exciting!!
the main thing,for me,is that BJ are back together and they are stronger and better,because they know how much they mean to each other.
and than,of course, everyone were so involved in that Stockwell storyline and the way it affected their lives.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Depends on... if they would've break them up totally - no contact anymore, no longing, no desire, nothing left - it would/could've killed the show

Well, you know, I love Justin, I liked Ethan and I was happy for Justin that he finally had someone who was nicer, more romantic - but not for a second I thought or wanted this to be "it" for Justin. It had to be B/J in the end...

Steffi
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu9 (View Post)
The first part of S3 is good because we get to see Brian pining over Justin, but to me the second part is so much better. It has a different pace and it's more exciting!
in the second part of the season BJ sure make up for lost time
Old 07-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90210-Steffi (View Post)
Well, you know, I love Justin, I liked Ethan and I was happy for Justin that he finally had someone who was nicer, more romantic - but not for a second I thought or wanted this to be "it" for Justin. It had to be B/J in the end...
The fact is that I saw Ethan nice and romantic in S2, but in S3 there was something else, something that never made me like him. I really see a big difference in how he was written in S2 and S3. Also, I didn't see Justin ever really completely happy with Ethan either.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread