Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyavelife (View Post)
So I'm not talking about physical development. It's a mental/psychosexual one.

It is a fact that gay men (especially then) find their first gay relationship much later on average often because they are in denial of who they are. So they live in an adult world in those cases, but are just starting out sexually.

I have 3 friends who were married to women and came out as gay - in their 30s! That is an extreme case in point. So when they come out, they are like horny school boys! hahaha
Point well taken. This actually happens a lot.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 08-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:

It is a fact that gay men (especially then) find their first gay relationship much later on average often because they are in denial of who they are. So they live in an adult world in those cases, but are just starting out sexually.

I have 3 friends who were married to women and came out as gay - in their 30s! That is an extreme case in point. So when they come out, they are like horny school boys! hahaha
I think this is shown really accurately later on in the series with Emmett and Drew. I totally get what you're saying, and have experienced it to an extent myself, as a gay woman.

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
Old 08-18-2018, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I feel for Emmett, he is so scared by the potential outcome. He's no longer his cheerful, optimistic self.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:16 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
Tracy must feel so embarrassed. Michael should have been honest from the start.
Yea, honesty would have been so much better for her. But that is where I think the show highlights the fears that are so strong for gay people at work. I can relate personally.

Hopefully this story line made some straight people speak out against workplace discrimination.

In my state, we have no protections against workplace discrimination for sexual orientation. In most towns, I can be fired for being gay. And I have no legal recourse.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I feel for Emmett, he is so scared by the potential outcome. He's no longer his cheerful, optimistic self.
I know. Him and Ted both were so terrified and not themselves.

I think it was wrong how they made Emmett wait. I know that doctors can't say test results in a voicemail, but he could've at least said, "No reason to worry" or SOMETHING so that Emmett wasn't freaking out all weekend?!

Old 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:

of course they aare they have to catch up..

but what would be interesting.. why did they find out so late.. was it because they denied who they are? or because they were afraid? or just because they haven'T found the right person? I'm pretty sure most of those "late bloomers" are perfectly happy with their wifes at the begining.. not even knowing that they miss something.. till the one you desire most is standing in front of you all of a sudden..

Honestly.. sometimes I almost believe that everybody deep down is kind of bi.. some are more attracted to the one side some on the other .. some turn in between.. maybe we all should stop to pidgenwhole everything .. and hopefully we all do someday .. just accept and be the way everybody is..

icon by Daggi
Old 08-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Yea, honesty would have been so much better for her. But that is where I think the show highlights the fears that are so strong for gay people at work. I can relate personally.

Hopefully this story line made some straight people speak out against workplace discrimination.

In my state, we have no protections against workplace discrimination for sexual orientation. In most towns, I can be fired for being gay. And I have no legal recourse.
This should be ILLEGAL. Discrimination is discrimination, no one should have to live in fear of being fired for who they are. The clown is really doing damage in the administration.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
He absolutly was scared so much.. I'm so sorry for him.. he couldn'T be optimistic anymore..

icon by Daggi
Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
and I think again.. that is the whole problem with it all.. they all always look at one side.. I don't know how many straight people Iknow who are not faithful or not monogamous living.. but again.. nobody points a finger at them.. seing gay people do that.. they all point! .. some people are just not made for a married family life with only one person.. so what!! I'm sure it is the other way round too
Yea, I agree. Not everyone is meant to settle down with one person. And some in the gay community think we should not try to do that to be like what society tells us we should be.

But, going to bathouses, adult theaters, truck stops, etc. for sex is a sign that maybe the person is "stuck" in this sort of adolescence.

It's an interesting topic for discussion though. And it will come up later in the series with that show "Gay As Blazes."
Old 08-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! (View Post)

I think it was wrong how they made Emmett wait. I know that doctors can't say test results in a voicemail, but he could've at least said, "No reason to worry" or SOMETHING so that Emmett wasn't freaking out all weekend?!
I relly can't understand the doctor.. He could have hinted something in the message.. please come in, there is something wrong with your payment.. it was kind of unproffesional from him. he must know how unsure people are about the testresults

icon by Daggi
Old 08-18-2018, 04:23 PM
New Fan

Quote:
This should be ILLEGAL. Discrimination is discrimination, no one should have to live in fear of being fired for who they are. The clown is really doing damage in the administration.
Yes, the clown certainly is not helping the gay community!!
Master Fan

Quote:
of course they aare they have to catch up..

but what would be interesting.. why did they find out so late.. was it because they denied who they are? or because they were afraid? or just because they haven'T found the right person? I'm pretty sure most of those "late bloomers" are perfectly happy with their wifes at the begining.. not even knowing that they miss something.. till the one you desire most is standing in front of you all of a sudden..

Honestly.. sometimes I almost believe that everybody deep down is kind of bi.. some are more attracted to the one side some on the other .. some turn in between.. maybe we all should stop to pidgenwhole everything .. and hopefully we all do someday .. just accept and be the way everybody is..
I'd say it's different for everyone. Some are afraid, some have been denying themselves. I experienced both of those, at different times. And then there was a time I got really confident in who I was and came out, only to get scared again a bit later and go hide and deny myself again... It's tough.

"Studies" have shown that there are very few completely heterosexual people. So you're totally right. Love is love, regardless of orientation or gender, anyway. And yes, I would LOVE to see the world get to a place of not needing such closed boxes to put everyone in. And of course, it would be wonderful if accepting the way everyone was, was the norm. Maybe one day...

Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! (View Post)

It's so cruel how the doctor just left that lingering over Emmett's head like that. He should have just told Emm everything was okay. Emmett was such a mess being worried.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I relly can't understand the doctor.. He could have hinted something in the message.. please come in, there is something wrong with your payment.. it was kind of unproffesional from him. he must know how unsure people are about the testresults
Yes, thank you! I've always thought so. It could've been handled so much better.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:

that is just awful.. your orientation should not be a reason for that.. your work and success should.. I'm sad that today still laws like this don'T exist everywhere..

icon by Daggi
Closed Thread   Post New Thread