Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Master Fan

Ted: "Did you know there's 10 ways to please your man WITHOUT opening your mouth?"

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
Old 08-18-2018, 03:51 PM
New Fan

Scott - "Would you shut up already and come to your God damned surprise party!" I love it!!!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
wasn't that what Scott said too today?

I think it depends on your life situation.. I would say being in a relationship, trying to build a family and so on makes you grow up faster.. or even having some bad experiences in your life.. no matter if you are straight or gay.. I think the moment you get kids or a own house or even a commited relationship, you feel like having to be grown up..

I only can speak for me, but being single, and happy with it, and straight.. I am sure not grown up yet.. and looking at my birthdate.. that should have happened years ago
That was what Scott said today.

I just paused right at the end of the sex shop scene. Ted said, "I'm negative."

I agree it depends on your life situation and what you've experienced. Michael's character was purposely made to have arrested development. I think some of the other "boys" are much more mature, though (not in every aspect, but mostly).

If I may ask, are you older or younger than the QAF characters, in the beginning?

I don't feel like a "grown up" either. Single and happy, but not straight.

Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyavelife (View Post)
And now, the show highlights the real fears that most gay men have of contracting HIV before they "settle down"

This must have been so shocking for the straight people who watched it live.
I think everyone, straight and gay, can relate to this. I know that it must really hit home for many gay people, especially, but it is a disease that could plague anyone. I would hope that the straight people watching this - then and now - would take away from this storyline a message to always put one's first in terms of the proper care and prevention.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
New Fan

Quote:
I paused

that is a really good question.. I don't think that's the way.. I know a lot of straight guys not being grown up at all and they are much older.. I think there are different points that come together
And as a gay man, I can tell you that we talk about a sort of delayed puberty with gay men - many have their first sexual experience much later than straight men because of homophobia. So they kind of start growing up late.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
And now, the show highlights the real fears that most gay men have of contracting HIV before they "settle down"

This must have been so shocking for the straight people who watched it live.
it must have been, cause the time back then was different then it is today, but it was already better then 10years before.. but honestly.. this might just be me coming from a different coutry.. it should be a wakeupcall for every straight person!! looking at the lifes and the way they are all sexual active.. I can't see any differences in being gay or straight..

I often said straight people do f around a lot and a lot not protected .. still thinking nothing can happen.. how many men don't want to use a condom because they asume all girls take a pill and nothing can happen..

I almost would say, gay people are more aware of what can happen.. their first concern is to stay healthy.. in straight people.. the most concern is not to get pregnant.. and that is the job of the girl.. getting sick is not on their agenda

icon by Daggi
Old 08-18-2018, 03:56 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
I think everyone, straight and gay, can relate to this. I know that it must really hit home for many gay people, especially, but it is a disease that could plague anyone. I would hope that the straight people watching this - then and now - would take away from this storyline a message to always put yourself first in terms of the proper care and prevention.
True, but just remember that at the time there would have been gay men watching who had already lost significant numbers of friends to AIDS. This would surely be much less with the straight audience.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Master Fan

I pushed play again cause I don't think everyone paused?

Really though, how can we possibly measure how grown up people "should" be, at a certain age? Everyone experiences things at different rates, and not everyone experiences/wants the same things. So I think that's a very difficult subject to tackle.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
And as a gay man, I can tell you that we talk about a sort of delayed puberty with gay men - many have their first sexual experience much later than straight men because of homophobia. So they kind of start growing up late.
I don't know if growing up has so much to do with your first sexual experience.. sure it is harder for them, but how many girls or boys don't dare to aks the other gender because they don't feel like being pretty enough or good enough for doing the first step.. it is a different age for all, and some of them are lucky.. one way or the other.. but they still grow up eventuelly.. or they have to.. sadly

icon by Daggi
Old 08-18-2018, 03:59 PM
New Fan

Great story line starting with Uncle Vic - "you guys never talk to anyone over 40 unless you have to"

This is introducing a subplot around respecting the wisdom of those who are older and who have lived through more than young people.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
it must have been, cause the time back then was different then it is today, but it was already better then 10years before.. but honestly.. this might just be me coming from a different coutry.. it should be a wakeupcall for every straight person!! looking at the lifes and the way they are all sexual active.. I can't see any differences in being gay or straight..

I often said straight people do f around a lot and a lot not protected .. still thinking nothing can happen.. how many men don't want to use a condom because they asume all girls take a pill and nothing can happen..

I almost would say, gay people are more aware of what can happen.. their first concern is to stay healthy.. in straight people.. the most concern is not to get pregnant.. and that is the job of the girl.. getting sick is not on their agenda
It's true, different priorities/anxieties between gay and straight people during sex.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:01 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I don't know if growing up has so much to do with your first sexual experience.. sure it is harder for them, but how many girls or boys don't dare to aks the other gender because they don't feel like being pretty enough or good enough for doing the first step.. it is a different age for all, and some of them are lucky.. one way or the other.. but they still grow up eventuelly.. or they have to.. sadly
Yes, we all need to grow up eventually. But studies show that more gay than straight men are late in their sexual development.

I see it even today, unfortunately.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Master Fan

Michael: "Hi, we're here, we're ready to go to Babylon!"
Brian: "*******s...you told him."

Old 08-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
True, but just remember that at the time there would have been gay men watching who had already lost significant numbers of friends to AIDS. This would surely be much less with the straight audience.
I think you are right here.. but Iguess the main problem again is, that probably the numbers of straight people dying from AIDS might be hidden or not be named... families sure would have kept it quite on the outside.. if it says someone died because he was sick with young age.. the first thing I asume is that he had cancer.. who of the straight people would think about AIDS.. I would say gay people are just more honest about it

icon by Daggi
Old 08-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
I completely understand, Tim. Me, being straight... and a woman, I can only imagine how harrowing these issues related to the disease were for the men. That's why it's important we have these discussions, so we remember the many lives lost back then, and bring awareness now.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Closed Thread   Post New Thread