Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2023, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Seriously, I think the kryptonite must've affected Clark's brain. You cannot just be friends with this girl.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Clark just didn't like Chloe in that way. He loved her as a great friend!
TomsEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I beg to differ, after that kiss at the Daily Planet. He did admit under red kryptonite that he had been thinking about her like that.
Old 10-15-2023, 03:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ "I can't say I haven't thought about it." ?
Old 10-16-2023, 01:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

And he definitely felt something for her at the end of S1. They went to the spring formal together after all. And they were about to kiss in Tempest if it wasn't for those darn tornadoes ruining their moment.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ They had something together for sure.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsEnough (View Post)
^ "I can't say I haven't thought about it." ?
Exactly.

Yep, I felt the same way, Liv. I always say, if you don't want your audience to want two characters together, don't tease or imply that they may get together. Chekhov's Gun.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, teasing us was just mean.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Clark and Chloe together were always just a tease.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

But you don't tease your audience, Fatima. If you develop it and imply it, you must follow through on it. Clark/Lana had five seasons. To not go with Clark/Chloe because you were too afraid of Clana fans and had to squeeze two more seasons of that stuff after it was no longer important to the story was just wrong.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the Clark & Lana fans were just more than Clark & Chloe fans.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Possibly, but many Clark/Lana fans weren't Superman fans, because everyone knows that Clark ends up with Lois, so being a Clark/Lana fan was redundant. Also, since Chloe was created to be a proto-Lois, there did come a point in the story where she just fit into Clark's storyline better than Lana did.

The mistake I think that Smallville made was in trying to promote Clark/Lana like a standard young adult romance typical of other shows like Dawson's Creek or The OC. What they forgot is that even those shows knew when to move on and end a story. Did Dawson end up with Joey? No, she ended up with Pacey. Did Ryan end up with Marissa? No, the OC had the guts to kill off Marissa after only three seasons because, as the show's creators put it, "We were … under tremendous pressure to do something with that level of drama. Killing a series regular came down from the top. If we wanted a season four, we’d have to do something like that.”

When I hear about "pressure from the top," it makes me suspect that Smallville's creators were similarly pressured to keep Lana around because they were too afraid of what to do with the show without the Clark/Lana storyline. But the fact is that the Clark/Lana storyline was a high school romance that only worked in high school, and you can't stay in high school forever. Once the show made it to season 5 and high school ended, they should've done what The O.C. did, which is move on. Especially when you have Lois Lane on the show as a constant reminder to the audience that Lana is destined to never end up with Clark.

I heard that Clana fans went crazy when Lois Lane showed up in season 4 because they had somehow convinced themselves that the inevitable wouldn't happen. See, that's why the showrunners screwed up with Clark and Lana. If you know they won't end up together, then you can't make them your central love story and have Clark act like she's the love of his life, because the deeper you dig that hole, the harder it's gonna be to dig your way out of it.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 10-19-2023 at 02:51 PM
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 05:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well as a person who was live. Chlark had actually a bigger fanbase than Clana on when the show was airing live, especially by season 5.
Ya'll know I do not like Chlark romantically but I was there and remember they were popular at that time and a lot of the fanbase gave up on Clana and were fed up.

So, actually Fatima, by season 4 even... a lot of the fans jumped off the train especially with the introduction of Lois in addition to the great Chlark scenes. Then the Clark/Alicia fans game alive for her arc.;lol:

Lex/Lana were popular in season 5 as well BUT they also were hated. lol

The hieght of Clana's popularity as a whole even outside of was definitely season 2. There was no couple on this show touching them. I think around season 3 is slowly died down with the keep breaking them up. By season 4... um yeah. lol

So any other comments in terms of Chloe as a character and her character progression over the seasons? Do you prefer her in the earlier, mid or later seasons?
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow, really? I didn't know that Chlark was a bigger fanbase than Clana by that point. Thanks for letting me know, Tia.

But by season 5 that would make sense since it was mostly Chlark by that point.

And yes, Lois' arrival should have ended the Clana bandwagon altogether, logically speaking.

Yeah, this latest episode we just watched was really fascinating in terms of how far Chloe had come by the end of the show. I can barely believe that this is the same woman who once had her "Wall of Weird" at her high school.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 10-19-2023 at 08:01 PM
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 04:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Reply   Post New Thread