Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Loyal Fan

I only have 46 days until I see the movie I'm so exicted, I can't believe it's only a month and a half away.

Tell them how the crowds went wild. Tell them how I hope they shine...
Long live, the walls we crashed through. I had the time of my life...with you.
Jaimee
Old 05-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Loyal Fan

As a guy allow me to share my thoughts about Ron. Ron was not jealous of Harry. He was jealous of everyone that on paper was better than him. The reason? He felt that Hermione was too good for someone like him and he couldn't have a shot with her, especially when so many better guys than him were so close to her.
It started with Krum. He worshiped him, but as soon as he saw him with Hermione he hated him. What could he offer her that an international quidditch player couldn't? Nothing.
Next year started with the unpleasant prefect badge incident. I can't even imagine how hurt Ron felt seeing Hermione all excited with the prospect that she and Harry were prefects. And her reaction when she found out that it was Ron, didn't help. She even failed to defend him when the twins teased him, by not saying a single reason of why Ron should be a prefect. That was a huge hit in Ron's self esteem. He was starting to feel that Hermione had no faith in his abilities.
Then his biggest fear was that sooner or later Harry will see what a great girl Hermione is and then Hermione, like most of the young witches at that time, will fall for the chosen one as well. That's why the awkward moments in OoTP with Cho/Harry kiss debate and then Hermione kissing him on the cheek which caused him to start hoping, and that's why he bought her the perfume. But not only she called unusual(she could use a better word) his present, but don't forget that in the last game she went with Harry to see Grawp, instead of seeing him play and that was like a proof to him, that he's not a priority to Hermione like Harry.
Cormac wasn't something special in quidditch like Krum or famous like Harry, but he was a member of an elite class(Slug-club) and his family was famous and rich.
Krum, Harry, Cormac had one common thing. They were better than him on paper and that's too much of a pressure for a teenage boy in love.
In DH we see him determined to go for it. The reason? He wasn't that daft in 6th year. He knew that Hermione was jealous of Lavender. That's why when he gives the book to Harry-12 Fail-safe ways to charm witches- he told him that if he had that book before then he would ended up his relationship with Lavender sooner and he could be with Hermione. Do you see how he actually believed that Hermione wanted him too? In the wedding he dragged her to the dance floor as a sign to her, that he was there and that he learned from his mistakes and he understood what her behaviour last year meant. Everything went well for them until the locket. The locket reminded him that Hermione was still single and she hadn't told him anything to make him believe that she's feels the same way about him.
If you remember the locket, you'll see that his worst fear wasn't H/Hr kissing. That was the last drop. He would stub the locket even if Hermione was kissing Krum instead of Harry. His biggest fear was Hermione telling him that he was NOTHING.
So for me, Ron already knew how much he was in love with Hermione, but he was afraid that he would never be good enough for her. When she could have the best(Harry, Krum, even Cormac), why settle for less?
It's not about jealousy, but fear of inadequacy.
Sorry for the long post. I know that after reading it you'll be like

The post kiss pic of Rupert and Emma it makes me wanna
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoizz545 (View Post)
As a guy allow me to share my thoughts about Ron. Ron was not jealous of Harry. He was jealous of everyone that on paper was better than him. The reason? He felt that Hermione was too good for someone like him and he couldn't have a shot with her, especially when so many better guys than him were so close to her.
It started with Krum. He worshiped him, but as soon as he saw him with Hermione he hated him. What could he offer her that an international quidditch player couldn't? Nothing.
Next year started with the unpleasant prefect badge incident. I can't even imagine how hurt Ron felt seeing Hermione all excited with the prospect that she and Harry were prefects. And her reaction when she found out that it was Ron, didn't help. She even failed to defend him when the twins teased him, by not saying a single reason of why Ron should be a prefect. That was a huge hit in Ron's self esteem. He was starting to feel that Hermione had no faith in his abilities.
Then his biggest fear was that sooner or later Harry will see what a great girl Hermione is and then Hermione, like most of the young witches at that time, will fall for the chosen one as well. That's why the awkward moments in OoTP with Cho/Harry kiss debate and then Hermione kissing him on the cheek which caused him to start hoping, and that's why he bought her the perfume. But not only she called unusual(she could use a better word) his present, but don't forget that in the last game she went with Harry to see Grawp, instead of seeing him play and that was like a proof to him, that he's not a priority to Hermione like Harry.
Cormac wasn't something special in quidditch like Krum or famous like Harry, but he was a member of an elite class(Slug-club) and his family was famous and rich.
Krum, Harry, Cormac had one common thing. They were better than him on paper and that's too much of a pressure for a teenage boy in love.
In DH we see him determined to go for it. The reason? He wasn't that daft in 6th year. He knew that Hermione was jealous of Lavender. That's why when he gives the book to Harry-12 Fail-safe ways to charm witches- he told him that if he had that book before then he would ended up his relationship with Lavender sooner and he could be with Hermione. Do you see how he actually believed that Hermione wanted him too? In the wedding he dragged her to the dance floor as a sign to her, that he was there and that he learned from his mistakes and he understood what her behaviour last year meant. Everything went well for them until the locket. The locket reminded him that Hermione was still single and she hadn't told him anything to make him believe that she's feels the same way about him.
If you remember the locket, you'll see that his worst fear wasn't H/Hr kissing. That was the last drop. He would stub the locket even if Hermione was kissing Krum instead of Harry. His biggest fear was Hermione telling him that he was NOTHING.
So for me, Ron already knew how much he was in love with Hermione, but he was afraid that he would never be good enough for her. When she could have the best(Harry, Krum, even Cormac), why settle for less?

That's a great post. Most accurate description of Ron's feelings and fears. I also wanted to add that when he saw Harry and Hermione kissing, there was also Harry or Hermione (don't remember, sorry) telling him and trying to convince him that he is worthless and "you are nothing" was a last drop, as you mentioned. More than anything, Ron was afraid to be not worth Hermione, to be not good enough for her, especially when she had all those guys around that where considered cooler, greater and more successful. And they all where pretty much interested in her. Yeah, it was quite immature, but understandable, and lets face it, Hermione's book 6 behavior was also quite immature towards Ron, especially when she was so angry at him that made him feel bad about his abilities of a Quiddich player. They both made mistakes in book 6 and in book 7 as well, but the difference is that in DH they both actually learned from their mistakes and where aboe to finally be clear with each other about their feelings.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:

I 99% agree with you. I do agree that Ron's inferiority complex was his biggest problem we've known it from that first train ride but I have to dissagree on the Ron not beling jelous of Harry.

I think that that convo started Ron thinking that Harry fancies Hermione but then, Harry does end up dating Cho which must have been a huge relief to Ron. The threat of his best friend fancieing the girl he loves is gone.

Then sixth year happens and Ron is faced with a new threat, Harry might not fancie Hermione but that doesnt mean she doesnt fancie Harry.
Quote:
“Oh, come on, Harry,” said Hermione, suddenly impatient. “It’s
not Quidditch that’s popular, it’s you! You’ve never been more interesting, and frankly, you’ve never been more fanciable.”
Ron gagged on a large piece of kipper. Hermione spared him one
look of disdain before turning back to Harry.
This is when the Jelousy really starts to develop. Like you said Ron is jealous of anyone who on paper is better then him which is 100% true. But going in to sixth year, Ron and Harry are equal and Ron knows it. Ron ended fifth year a bit of a quddich star. We learn that what happened in the ministry was in the papers and that people kept stopping him on the train and asking what happened. Ron now has a bit of fame.
Quote:
"You can still see the marks on the back of your hand where that evil woman made you write with your own blood, but you stuck to your story anyway. . . .”

“You can still see where those brains got hold of me in the Ministry, look,” said Ron, shaking back his sleeves.

“And it doesn’t hurt that you’ve grown about a foot over the summer either,” Hermione finished, ignoring Ron.

“I’m tall,” said Ron inconsequentially.
Hermione starts to list reasons why Harry is fanciable, reasons that apply to Ron aswell. It doesn't seem to matter to Hermione that on paper their equal. When in reference to Harry they're things to be fussed about but in reference to Ron their no big deal and get him dirty looks and ignored. It may have started out as insecurity but at this point it's jealousy over the fact that Hermione seems to view Harry in a better light then Ron.

I love hearting a guy's view of Harry Potter. For some reason I only run in to female HP fans.

As a guy when do you think Ron started to fell more for Hermione. Weather he knew it or not.

Last edited by Pynki; 05-27-2011 at 08:50 AM
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Colin Hanks
Rupert Grint

Quote:
I would've loved to smack them all then

Quote:
Hermione starts to list reasons why Harry is fanciable, reasons that apply to Ron aswell. It doesn't seem to matter to Hermione that on paper their equal. When in reference to Harry they're things to be fussed about but in reference to Ron their no big deal and get him dirty looks and ignored. It may have started out as insecurity but at this point it's jealousy over the fact that Hermione seems to view Harry in a better light then Ron.
and Hermione probably didn't even realize that she was feeding to his insecurities (along with constantly arguing with him and calling him names but never Harry)

Violence is a choice a man makes and he alone is responsible for it. ~ Patrick Stewart
Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki (View Post)
As a guy when do you think Ron started to fell more for Hermione. Weather he knew it or not.
If I remember right JKR said he fall for her in 2nd year, but I don't think that's right. He was 12-13 years old. Still a kid.
If you ask me they both started falling for each other when they went to that Hogsmeade date without Harry in 3rd year. You know when they came back looking as if they had the time of their lives
I think up until then they consider each other as friends, but there was a always tension between them and they didn't know why. I think that date showed them that the reason was that deep down, they might actually liked each other more than they should.

And I didn't mean that Ron wasn't jealous of Harry. I was trying to say that he was jealous of what Harry(or Krum or Cormac) represented. Someone better than him(at least to his mind they were better). Like you said, Hermione often gave Harry compliments in front of Ron and we saw how he was reacting to her comments. But the same thing happened with Cormac when she said that she invited him to the Slughorn party because she liked good Quidditch players. Ron's reaction was the same. With Krum, the same. His reactions was always the same when he felt that Hermione showed interest to other guys. It was never just about Harry.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
If I remember right JKR said he fall for her in 2nd year, but I don't think that's right. He was 12-13 years old. Still a kid.
If you ask me they both started falling for each other when they went to that Hogsmeade date without Harry in 3rd year. You know when they came back looking as if they had the time of their lives
I think up until then they consider each other as friends, but there was a always tension between them and they didn't know why. I think that date showed them that the reason was that deep down, they might actually liked each other more than they should.

And I didn't mean that Ron wasn't jealous of Harry. I was trying to say that he was jealous of what Harry(or Krum or Cormac) represented. Someone better than him(at least to his mind they were better). Like you said, Hermione often gave Harry compliments in front of Ron and we saw how he was reacting to her comments. But the same thing happened with Cormac when she said that she invited him to the Slughorn party because she liked good Quidditch players. Ron's reaction was the same. With Krum, the same. His reactions was always the same when he felt that Hermione showed interest to other guys. It was never just about Harry.
Ahhh ok I get what you were saying now, I agree 100%.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

You could crush on someone when you're just 12, trust me! In the movie COS they make it a little obvious in the end when they go to hug and they hesitate and Ron voice starts to crack and he goes "Uhh... Umm..." (shakes hand instead)!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Colin Hanks
Rupert Grint

that was one cute moment

Violence is a choice a man makes and he alone is responsible for it. ~ Patrick Stewart
Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrsfanre (View Post)
YESSSSSS!

Quote:
Very well said! You get a cookie today for POST OF THE DAY. I bolded the part where I agreed with you the most. I guess it has to do with being the youngest son as well, his older brothers have been successful. And then he meets this extraordinary girl, very bright and here he is, he probably thinks he's not good looking enough for her. Then comes Krum, then Cormac - two very strapping young lads, one is an International Quidditch Player and the other comes from an influential family and nonetheless is Tiberius' nephew (an important official at the Ministry of Magic). How can he compete with that? His insecurities comes into play around these boys and that's why it's hard for him to fathom that Hermione likes him back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
That's a great post. Most accurate description of Ron's feelings and fears. I also wanted to add that when he saw Harry and Hermione kissing, there was also Harry or Hermione (don't remember, sorry) telling him and trying to convince him that he is worthless and "you are nothing" was a last drop, as you mentioned. More than anything, Ron was afraid to be not worth Hermione, to be not good enough for her, especially when she had all those guys around that where considered cooler, greater and more successful. And they all where pretty much interested in her. Yeah, it was quite immature, but understandable, and lets face it, Hermione's book 6 behavior was also quite immature towards Ron, especially when she was so angry at him that made him feel bad about his abilities of a Quiddich player. They both made mistakes in book 6 and in book 7 as well, but the difference is that in DH they both actually learned from their mistakes and where aboe to finally be clear with each other about their feelings.
See this is why I like the way Jo wrote R/Hr - she thought about it right from the start. You see all these signs, all these moments, the tension and yet they can't seem to admit their feelings to each other. It's not the "I love you so much let's get married by book 4" kind of story. They were best friends, realized they loved each other early on but was always denying it, not really reacting to what was being said & done. It would probably be harder on Hermione, being a girl to deny her feelings as girls often tend to talk a lot about emotions & feelings. It's a bit frustrating to see the guy you like take no action on your feelings and is being non-plussed about it. Ron was probably being safe as well, didn't want to take the chance just yet because they do have a wonderful friendship so I like that in DH, they both realized at the same time that it was the perfect moment - that they finally had that realization at a time they were fighting for their lives. Well done, Jo.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
It was a very sad time for Hermione. She needed Ron to be there, it wasn't enough that her best friend was around. Ron's THE LOVE OF HER LIFE and he wasn't around. How incredibly sad was that?
A very sad and depressing time for her the love her her life is gone and she doesn't know if or when she'll see him again and yeah like you said Harry is there and he is her best friend but that's like a band-aid for a bullet wound. It's kind of keeping her together but it's not enough. Pretty much her other half is gone and she kind of lost without him, she needed him and he was gone the reason why she is SO pissed at him when he comes back. I can't wait to read how that unfolds in the book. On 'Bathilda's secret right now' So Ron is still gone Can't wait for him to come back hehe
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeJelliot (View Post)
A very sad and depressing time for her the love her her life is gone and she doesn't know if or when she'll see him again and yeah like you said Harry is there and he is her best friend but that's like a band-aid for a bullet wound. It's kind of keeping her together but it's not enough. Pretty much her other half is gone and she kind of lost without him, she needed him and he was gone the reason why she is SO pissed at him when he comes back. I can't wait to read how that unfolds in the book. On 'Bathilda's secret right now' So Ron is still gone Can't wait for him to come back hehe
I can't remember much from that chapter as obviously Ron isn't around. I like how Harry was noticing how sad she was, barely even talking to him and was crying at night. As the best friend, what can you do? Plus he's a guy. If Ginny was around, Hermione would've probably cried her eyes out and vented out to her. Hermione not knowing when he was coming back is torture. So I was amused when she got so mad when Ron came back - typical Hermione style too because she bickers with Ron a lot.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I can't remember much from that chapter as obviously Ron isn't around. I like how Harry was noticing how sad she was, barely even talking to him and was crying at night. As the best friend, what can you do? Plus he's a guy. If Ginny was around, Hermione would've probably cried her eyes out and vented out to her. Hermione not knowing when he was coming back is torture. So I was amused when she got so mad when Ron came back - typical Hermione style too because she bickers with Ron a lot.
Heh I get that if Ron isn't there it's hard to remember what's going on Just them visiting 'Bathilda' and Harry reliving his parents death through Voldormorts head. and yeah I like how Harry picked up on that too how he noticed she wasn't talking as much and when she thought he wasn't awake just bawled her eyes out which is so sad. I agree if Ginny had been the would've had someone to vent and cry to. It's pretty funny how pissed she is. It's just one of those things you are so relieved they are ok but once that has passed you are pissed as hell with what that person put you through so she was relieved he was back but SO angry he left in the first place and put her through the torture of wondering if and when she'd see him again.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Master Fan

A lovely little blurb about the KISS in Entertainment weekly.

Quote:
The sparky friendship between Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) finally ignites into love in PART 2 when the two bickering teens find the guts to embrace their feelings for each other-and then embrace each other.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...1faho1_500.jpg
Ahoy. - It was in Entertainment Magazine. I’ts coming...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Laura! Everyone is getting excited about it..

Icon by sourburst
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top