Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. There's lots of different magical powers to tap into, and most of them seems to be merely more quirky forces of nature, or skills that humans can hone. But some also seems to invoke a deity, of some sort. There was Blind Cadria or whatever that Tara beseeched to hide demonic presence to her friends. And wasn't it Ossiris who brought Buffy back from the dead? I don't quite remember, but I think so.

So magic seems to be a sort of mix, of all of these sources.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:33 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh, right. They invoke deities. Willow tried to do again for Tara but she was told it didnt work that way, so I assume they work as guidance as well, not just the power.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. Ossiris wasn't willing to help with that one. Apparently, it didn't fit in to the divine plan somehow
Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 AM
Loyal Fan

He had a point. Imagine him letting witches be inmortal just by using his power to cheat death.

There are creatures in the Buffyverse that are inmortal but humans arent supposed to be.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. Deities use to be restrictive that way. They're not as eager to help with things that are mostly private matters of the beseecher. They're usually after grander purposes
Old 07-10-2016, 04:13 AM
Loyal Fan

The oracles were also bitchy about that.

Guess one should go help themselves and not be selfish and all that.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. It makes sense that deities would be more concerned with the grand scheme of things, while leaving the issues of daily life to us humans.

Hmm, I wonder what deities demons worship. There was some god Spikes minions prayed to in his first episode, that he wasn't overly devoted to, I recall Other than that, do we see deities serving the dark side?,
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 AM
Loyal Fan

I dont remember them adoring any deity but it could be. Thats the way vampires asemble together, after all

Dunno if there are evil deities but there should be, right? Well, I guess that Glory is a god but she doesnt seem to be at the same level. Sure she is strong but she was kinda limited in what she could do.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

she was a God of a different dimension, who the others in that domain stripped of her powers, to the best of their abilities, by sending her to our world and trapping her inside a human. I'm thinking if she had succeeded in her plans to go home, she would have gotten a lot more powerful than we ever saw her as.

But the First seemed to at least have the potential of becoming a dark deity. With how it was the essence of all evil. Like Glory, it was trapped and constrained, but if it had been able to fully break loose, as it planned to, then it could have become a pretty mighty god.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Loyal Fan

Yes. She was so fixated in coming back, there should be a reason for it.
Maybe it was the other dimension thing that was the guilty part. We have seen that different dimensions have different rules after all.

As for The First, maybe also in other dimensions he could even be corporeal already and more dangerous.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. Apparently, Glory's home was a hell dimension, so it probably was quite different from the one we know.

Btw, I wonder what hell the Hellmouth was linking to? The regular hell of their world, or was it a dimensional portal ? It doesn't seem to be a link to Glory's home hell, since she showed little interest in it. But the First seemed to focus a lot more on it. So maybe it was the hell It stemmed from?
Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh. A portal? I never put much thought on it but right. It had to be that. A portal where demons and vampires lived.

The First was linked to dead people and Hellmouth was full of vampires. Maybe whatever original demon that created vampires started there and, since the host for vampires had to die, it made easier for The First to control them.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. I think the official slayer lore said something about that. That in the old world the portals between earth and the world was way open, and the demons overran it. Then the shadowmen got together and vanquished most of the demons, and closed off most of the portals, sealing the creatures of the dark out of our world. The last pure demon to leave, injected his essence into a man, and thus creating the vampires. The shadowmen countered that with cultivating some demon essence of their own, purging it of evil, to the best of their abilities, and injected it into the slayer.

It seems that the first slayer was pretty feral herself, so that they had to work a bit with the dosage of essence to use, but with time, they seems to have gotten a blend that would do the job reasonably well.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh. I remember the episode where she met the men who made the first slayer and offered her that power but I didnt remember the story. Thank you.

I remember that being awaken in all slayers thanks to Willow
Not sure what exactly was the thing that marked a girl as potential slayer. Did they ever explain that?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

No. I think that was mostly genetic. That she had what it took for it. The show didn't really specify that much, but it was pretty clear on that slayers are born, not made.