Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2023, 11:37 AM
Moderator Support Team

Rafael Barba | Raúl Esparza {SVU} #1

A B O U T
Is the former Cuban-American ADA assigned to the Sex Crimes Bureau. He replaced Cabot, Novak, Haden, and Cutter as the ADA.

He resigned from his job after being too traumatized by a case involving an infant with MDDS.

Is a by-the-book, no-nonsense ADA who requested a lateral transfer from Brooklyn to Manhattan shortly after.

Barba will put pressure on whomever he needs to win the case, whether it is the victim or the arresting officers.

Barba grew up in the Bronx, and gained a scholarship to Harvard University, where he studied law.

He states that he was madly in love with a girl named Lauren Sullivan in the eleventh grade.

Barba revealed to Jack McCoy that he resented his father, as most people did. Barba's father later entered into a diabetic coma and was eventually declared brain-dead, but Barba refused to remove him from life support even though it prolonged his suffering. Barba was left with lifelong guilt over this afterwards
H I S T O R Y
In Barba's first appearance, Jocelyn Paley, author of a popular erotic novel of the same name is sexually assaulted twice by a television talk show host named Adam Cain. Captain Steven Harris recommends A.D.A Rafael Barba for the case and Harris introduces Barba to detectives Olivia Benson and Amanda Rollins.

Barba is blackmailed by rape and murder suspect David Willard into dropping all charges on him when he leveraged one of Barba's worst prosecution handlings: Ashtonja Abreu's mother Marianna was addicted to drugs but also a witness to a double rapist-murderer's crimes. Barba gave her money, which she spent on more drugs, but that ended up making her a more credible witness on the stand. Marianna overdosed and died after the trial, and Barba paid Ashtonja and her grandmother ever since to support them as an endless attempt at atonement for his actions, and to help their struggling income.

After several women and a young boy were found in a basement, Barba helped SVU in investigating the case. He noticed Benson was uneasy, no doubt from her recent experience but she assured him that she was fine. After SVU caught the perp Michael Williams and accomplice April Hendricks, the squad begged him to take in consideration of Hendricks' mentality from her previous life. Barba agreed to show leniency on her and get her institutionalized but vowed to ensure Williams was imprisoned for the remainder of his life.

Barba turns off the life support of an infant boy suffering from MDDS, a disease which left the child brain-dead and would have required machinery to keep him alive for the rest of his life. Charged with second-degree murder despite the sympathies of both Benson and Jack McCoy, Barba hires Randy Dworkin to represent him. On the stand, Barba defends his actions as justifiable since the child was essentially dead already, but he admits that he felt guilty for having done so. Barba is ultimately acquitted of murder and exonerated. However, he is too traumatized by the case and resigns from his career as an A.D.A. after 21 years of working as a prosecutor.

Barba returned as a defense attorney representing a military veteran, Mickey Davis, on trial for the murder of his daughter's rapist, Ajay Sharma, at the request of Odafin Tutuola and Benson. He faced off against Dominick Carisi, Jr., who once shadowed Barba and considered Barba his mentor and now has taken over Barba's old position as SVU ADA.

Barba represented Richard Wheatley in court after he was charged with the murder of Kathy Stabler. After Benson and Kathy's widower, Elliot Stabler, found out, they were both furious, with Benson believing that Barba betrayed them. He would also have to face his mentee Carisi in court for a second time.

Wheatley later offers Barba a position within his organization, to which Barba turns down immediately. Barba later meets Wheatley in jail and tells him he is free. Wheatley asks Barba again to come work for him and Barba says no again.

SVU wanted to get a good defense attorney for a domestic violence victim named Delia Hackman who killed her husband, Ty Hackman. Benson reached out to several other lawyers, including Rita Calhoun, Bayard Ellis, and Elana Barth, for help, but to no avail. Rollins however points out that Benson did not reach out to Barba, indicating that their relationship is still in a bad state after he defended Wheatley. Rollins then reached out to Barba on Delia's behalf and Benson thanked Barba at Forlini's for taking the case.

After Barba gets Delia a plea deal, he meets with Benson again at Forlini's and she thanked him for defending her. She then told Barba she wished he hadn't defended Richard in court. Barba told Benson he was dead and asked why she felt more anger at him than she ever felt towards Stabler, to which Benson hotly responded that she had known him for 23 years and that he always had her back. Barba replied that Benson didn't have a father to protect her. Benson angrily said that this wasn't about Stabler or her father and that it was about how he betrayed her by defending Richard in court and not to tell her how to feel but Barba responded that in this case he could because he knows what it's like to love somebody unconditionally before telling her to contact him when she stopped feeling betrayed by him and proceeded to leave. Benson stopped Barba in his tracks and told him that she missed him too. Barba then left Forlini's, leaving an upset Benson alone.

Last edited by - just stand still -; 04-15-2023 at 11:04 AM
- just stand still - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:52 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Barba was such a wonderful addition to the show Love that he's made appearances since his departure

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:46 PM
Moderator Support Team

I definitely love his character a lot.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:10 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

He definitely brought a new flavor to the DA's office and made for an interesting relationship with the detectives.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:34 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Definitely. I also liked that they changed things up from always being women. While this is sexist, I think that being a man it brought a different perspective

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-09-2023, 07:20 AM
Master Fan

^^ I never noticed that it was always a woman!
B ē tt ⓨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:49 PM
Graphics Team Manager

The regular ADA was a female until him . At least on SVU anyway

They had various women through S1, don't think they had any men. Then: Alex, Casey, Kim Greylek, Sonya Paxton, Jo Marlowe, Gillian Hardwicke, Sherri West, David Haden (so he came first, but wasn't a main - only appearing in four eps)... & of course Alex & Casey reappearing sprinkled in between them all

Now I think we've had three in a row? Or four including David Haden. Barba, Peter Stone, & now Carisi

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-10-2023, 07:11 AM
Master Fan

^^ I never really noticed to be honest but it's nice when majority is women.

I loved Barba. He was fantastic!

I've claimed the OP for this one, so if anyone has anything they would like to see added or to just contribute an art/quotes etc, please feel free to share on the thread or PM!
Old 04-11-2023, 01:37 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I can't say I noticed, I just remember reading that he was the first main one who was male

It is good they did majority is female, makes a nice change

I really like what you've been doing for the OPs. Maybe if there's a nice gifset for him we could include that . Same for any other threads. I know there's some interesting ones for some of the older characters but not sure about newer ones

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-11-2023, 07:38 AM
Master Fan

^^ If you know of any L&O dedicated tumblrs I could scroll through, I can definitely add!

I'll search on my own too, but if there is any particular scene or moment you're thinking of, please feel free to link!
Old 04-12-2023, 12:39 AM
Graphics Team Manager

These were what I was thinking, but as I thought they were older characters. That tumblr hasn't been updated in 5 years, but it may have other things...

Maybe try svucentral or Law & Order Source. There's a few things here, same here.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-12-2023, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

Excellent! Thanks for the links. I will put them to great use.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:43 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Hope they are helpful

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-13-2023, 07:19 AM
Master Fan

Busy week this week so hopefully I can work on the graphics this weekend.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:16 PM
Moderator Support Team

excited to see the OP.