Graphics Team Manager

Is Cragen drinking explored on L&O?

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

I don't recall, but from the OP, Wiki fandom had this to say:

Quote:
Cragen was a recovering alcoholic. He quit drinking in the early 1980s after pulling a gun on a cab driver in a drunken rage, and has been sober ever since. Though he remains sober, he does keep alcohol in his office and is seen offering it to Detective Olivia Benson, and serving it to Detective Brian Cassidy and Assistant district attorney Alexandra Cabot.
B ē tt ⓨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:04 AM
Graphics Team Manager

That's what I couldn't remember. I knew he was recovering in SVU but wasn't sure if it was during L&O that he was an alcoholic or it was just the backstory on both.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Master Fan

It was weird that he could 'be around it', like offering it to detectives/ADA's etc. So I wondered if it was still an issue for him or not. Something that could be revisited if he returned one more time.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:50 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Maybe. Depends on how sober he is & how much of a temptation it is. I feel like he has addressed it at some point

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-30-2023, 06:47 PM
Graphics Team

While he would always be a recovering alcoholic, he had been sober for a long time before L&O had started. So the temptation may have lessened in all of that time so he could have it there and know he could trust he wouldn't drink it, but also that sometimes the people he worked with might.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:43 AM
Graphics Team Manager

oo that makes some sense. I couldn't remember when he became sober. I had a feeling it was between the two shows for some reason
Everyone is different & with time it can change things

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-09-2023, 01:12 AM
Graphics Team

It was prior to L&O starting if I remember correctly. I think some time in the 80s? Then he was a recovering alcoholic, getting better with every season.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:14 AM
Graphics Team Manager

That makes sense Thanks for your memory

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-16-2023, 03:13 AM
Graphics Team

You are welcome.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:28 PM
Master Fan

I guess it also depends on the type of alcoholism you had. I mean some can be around it and be fine where as others can't know any is in a room around or near them because they'll search it out.
Old 07-24-2023, 02:28 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-24-2023, 07:34 AM
Master Fan

I'm guessing he's the former type in that last comment of mine.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:10 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Probably

ETA: I was just watching a late S4 episode (S4E19 'Appearances') & they actually used temptation as a key reason in a case. The case was a convicted paedophile had been harassed by a website until he joined which then led him to raping & killing a young girl. Cragen had a scene with Alex at a bar where he talks to her about temptation & how people can only take so much (his line was "As the wise man said, I can resist everything except temptation"). The scene also included him being asked if he wants what the lady (Alex) is drinking. He is shown to pause/hesitate before answering that he'll just have a gingerale. Showing to the audience how temptation can be all around us so easy to just go sure. But also that in Cragen's case he still says no even if he still struggles. It was also enough for Alex to have an epiphany that helps her win her case. Not sure if she knew he was an alcoholic or not & it was an example for her as well as the audience. But I thought it was perfectly done to trigger that epiphany & showcase how people are exposed temptation

Chelle » join GTmy art
Reply   Post New Thread