Old 08-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Is there a S2 premiere date yet?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-05-2022, 02:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

No, we just know it's in the Fall. I think it could be in September, though, because looking at the showrunner IG pics they're already editing episodes, so it can't be too far. Anyway it's rumored to be between September and November (I personally doubt it's November, but it's just my idea and my hope ).

There won't be a hiatus, but we don't know if they're going to release the episodes in batches, like PLLOS (3 - 2 - 2 - 3) or one each week.

I'll let you know when it's announced

Old 08-05-2022, 02:27 PM
Graphics Team Manager

That is so strange. Maybe they don't know what they are doing with it yet though. Hopefully it gets announced soon. Seems odd to me if it may come in September to not have already said that which makes me think later. No hiatus however makes me think either not until next year or they are going to release in batches (or all at once). The later seems more likely if it is confirmed or at least rumoured for Fall

Thanks

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-05-2022, 02:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

They still need to film the last scenes in Rome, so they're editing already, but it's not completed. I guess that's why they still didn't announce anything

Next year is impossible, it's too far, especially when PLLOS ends this month and they don't have any new series debuting after. September/October seems fine, imho. Maybe they'll announce it when the trailer is out, which I feel it won't be released before PLLOS ends - to avoid people missing it, you know.

They just released a tiny teaser hinting at Georgina, but it was super short.

I really hope it won't be in batches, I hated 1b because they released three episodes each week and I had to watch them all together to avoid spoilers or to not open social media for days. And because of that I have hard time remembering what happens in which episode, it's all like two big episodes and I don't like it I need time to appreciate things and to reflect on them, yes, even if it's a tv show.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:51 PM
Graphics Team Manager

That doesn't seem a logical reason. Normal channels announce return dates before seasons begin filming or at least not far into it. Seems silly to wait for a show to finish filming before announcing when it will air unless they need it complete because they are releasing all at once. But even then they should know the schedule & time needed to film & edit the show. It isn't like it is a show with big special effects one would presume. That I could understand needing more time.

I much prefer watching shows weekly. I don't like this streaming releasing all at once thing. But for them to have no hiatus it seems more likely to be in batches. It needs to all be released by most likely Thanksgiving for that to work. Or maybe Christmas with a week break for Thanksgiving (although they still may release even then as they don't need to follow normal rules)

They could announce a date without taking away from PLLOS but I can understand releasing the date with a trailer. It could be they are doing mini teases for now until the PLLOS promotion period is over then hit with the full trailer. But if the show is meant to return next month seems silly to me for fans to not be told that yet.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-05-2022, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
That doesn't seem a logical reason. Normal channels announce return dates before seasons begin filming or at least not far into it. Seems silly to wait for a show to finish filming before announcing when it will air unless they need it complete because they are releasing all at once. But even then they should know the schedule & time needed to film & edit the show. It isn't like it is a show with big special effects one would presume. That I could understand needing more time.
I don't know, maybe with streaming it's different? With PLL they finished in May and they announced the premiere date in June, a month before the show premiered. With GG S1 they announced it at the beginning of filming, I think, but it was a time when they had to stop filming for a month or so because of covid, then start again in the new year.

Consider also that lately there's been some anxiety about the Discovery+ and HBO Max merge that was announced in May, ltwo days ago people started saying on Twitter the new CEO was going to cancel all HBO Max scripted shows, which isn't happening (they're all safe for now, the new combined streaming platform will launch next summer, so it's to be seen if they'll keep everything or not, but I have faith in GG).

I still think it's just to give GG and PLLOS the proper attention, so when PLLOS ends, people can focus on the GG coming back. They need to edit the music, then there are the Kristen Bell voiceovers, who knows meanwhile they already had the season 2 photoshoot, it seems and anyway the US filming is wrapped, so after Rome they don't have more to do in the US.

Quote:
But for them to have no hiatus it seems more likely to be in batches. It needs to all be released by most likely Thanksgiving for that to work.
I don't know why S1 had the hiatus, I just know that the two batches of 1b were because they had Euphoria coming back in January, so it didn't have to be close to that.
If they have one episode a week and start in September it can end before Thanksgiving, since it's 10 episodes this season.

Prayer circle for the no batches! It ends too soon, like that

Old 08-05-2022, 03:39 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Streaming does follow different rules. Maybe they like to have things finished. But seems silly to me. Surely someone somewhere knows what order they're releasing each of the HBO Originals for the year? To me it'd make sense to put out a little teaser image of 'coming soon' with Gossip Girl coming in Fall or something. Just to create & keep buzz & excitement for their other shows. They can focus on the main current one still. To me they even could put out a future month plan image like July: PLLOS, September: GG, November: ???... that way people know what is coming up & create a bit more buzz for those shows. If plans change due to unforeseen circumstances that can just be announced later on. But I guess what they do now obviously works for them so why change what isn't broken
I'd presume with Aug 18 being the final for PLLOS their next show will be announced after that date so they don't take away from promoting PLLOS. Hopefully the next one will be GG

One thing about HBO Originals is that there was an idea behind them that they weren't to be released all at once & binged like Netflix. So presuming they stick with that then there shouldn't be a whole bunch released at once. However they do seem to like doing the mini batches. PLLOS was 3, 2, 2, 3. 10 episodes total. So could be their plan with GG too. Other shows have done a small batch, but then gone to weekly after though so who knows...

As for the merger, people worry too much. It possibly doesn't help that people have seen other channels purge lots of shows after mergers in the past (& even this year).

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
To me it'd make sense to put out a little teaser image of 'coming soon' with Gossip Girl coming in Fall or something. Just to create & keep buzz & excitement for their other shows.
We just had this I mentioned before, but I think it was just because Michelle filming had been already caught, so

The buzz that's on social media is mainly because a fan - the one who posted a lot of spoilers - did the work the fact that they abandon characters IG when the show isn't on air doesn't help.

Quote:
If plans change due to unforeseen circumstances that can just be announced later on.
Changing the release date maybe doesn't look so nice from the outside, like people can start wondering if there are problems and so on, so I guess they don't want to make that impression.

Quote:
One thing about HBO Originals is that there was an idea behind them that they weren't to be released all at once & binged like Netflix. So presuming they stick with that then there shouldn't be a whole bunch released at once. However they do seem to like doing the mini batches. PLLOS was 3, 2, 2, 3. 10 episodes total. So could be their plan with GG too. Other shows have done a small batch, but then gone to weekly after though so who knows...
Yeah, GG was one of their first originals and it was a weekly episode. Other of their current shows keep having that kind of release, so I don't know what to expect.Not even Safran knows, he always said.

Quote:
As for the merger, people worry too much. It possibly doesn't help that people have seen other channels purge lots of shows after mergers in the past (& even this year).
The thing with this specific case is that they already quietly removed HBO Max Originals (mostly movies, but also series, I think) from the HBO Max catalogue, then they scrapped Batgirl movie which was in post production I think, even after spending 90 million dollars for it. Also SCUBB movie had the same fate and the Ellen cartoon was cancelled despite its third season was complete and about to premiere. So the idea of the new CEO not caring about HBO Max originals ("they spent 90 million dollars on a movie and no one is going to see it, not on streaming nor in cinemas, how can you think they care about tv series??") made easier to believe they were going to cancel everything in batch and everyone was ready to hear that yesterday, when the conference call about the group accountability was held. I feared for GG of course, even though I never believed they were going to cancel EVERYTHING HBO Max subscribers paid for, especially when they're a different audience from the Discovery+ one.

Last but not least, Discovery is mostly about realities and unscripted shows - which by the way are already coming in the upcoming months on HBO Max from Magnolia - so it was a mix of things that spread panic. There were tweets about 70% of the scripted shows team being laid off. It's been a rough couple of days.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Yeah I know they did that, but doesn't say coming soon. Just confirms what we already know. I was thinking more just an image or quick video that actually says Gossip Girl coming soon. All that does is confirm that Gossip Girl is one of their shows & exists & Georgina will appear. But for all we know it could still be months before the show airs.

But how often would they need to change something? Especially if they just give a month, or even a season (so three months)? I'd think it'd have to be something major to cause too much of a delay so people would know. Unless they really don't have plans, just pick whatever show they feel will work best at that time. But that to me seems highly unlikely.

If Safran doesn't know then maybe they really do have no plans at all, & just decide whenever they feel like it. Or he just says that because he's not allowed to talk.

So? People still jump to conclusions. Just because one thing (or a few things) get scrapped, doesn't mean other things will. People jump to conclusions & panic too easily. Seeing other things on that platform getting surprise culls does create panic. But no one really knows what the new HBO Max/Discovery is going to be or what other factors are coming into things behind the scenes. (how never releasing a movie is a cost cutting measure, amongst other reasoning, I don't know personally, but that's another subject...) As you said - HBO wouldn't cancel EVERYTHING. They'd be fools to as that really would be a money losing move.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-06-2022, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
Yeah I know they did that, but doesn't say coming soon. Just confirms what we already know. I was thinking more just an image or quick video that actually says Gossip Girl coming soon. All that does is confirm that Gossip Girl is one of their shows & exists & Georgina will appear. But for all we know it could still be months before the show airs.
That's why I think they released it just because pics and a video of Michelle filming had already been posted online, so they used it to create buzz. By the way I don't even think she's going to appear early in the season, even though they don't film in order.

Spoiler:

Quote:
But how often would they need to change something? Especially if they just give a month, or even a season (so three months)? I'd think it'd have to be something major to cause too much of a delay so people would know. Unless they really don't have plans, just pick whatever show they feel will work best at that time. But that to me seems highly unlikely.

If Safran doesn't know then maybe they really do have no plans at all, & just decide whenever they feel like it. Or he just says that because he's not allowed to talk.
This production always had delays while filming, even now that theyìre in Italy they're a couple of days late, often they do reshots, so maybe they just want to be sure the date doesn't change.

Quote:
Seeing other things on that platform getting surprise culls does create panic. But no one really knows what the new HBO Max/Discovery is going to be or what other factors are coming into things behind the scenes.
I totally agree, that's why I never believed they were going to cancel everything or GG anyway. When I tried to say that it's a successful show people replied to me: but they don't care, if they scrapped a 90 million dollars movie before knowing it could be a hit or not. At some point I just stopped talking and waited for the conference call

[QUOTE](how never releasing a movie is a cost cutting measure, amongst other reasoning, I don't know personally, but that's another subject...)/QUOTE]
Apparently they didn't believe in it fully, they didn't think it could regain all the money spent and they scrapped it before it was too late to take back some taxes.

Yeah, it would be a fool move, if they want to combine both audience who, from their own words, are different (and I agree). They want the HBO Max audience to watch the Discovery+ shows, so to make them subscribe the new platform next year they can't cancel the reason why HBO Max subscribers exist.
Of course I can't see every show making it next year, but that's a common thing. I hope GG S2 will be very successful, so it can stay or, at least, become and HBo Original and move there.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:51 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I imagine they will let the shows air at least a little bit to seenreaction before deciding for sure. Although I thought that with CW & not all in their big cull earlier this year had aired all that had been picked up. But it just isn't logical to cull too much for a service people pay for.

There is still a difference between a show & a movie. They had a few reasons they scrapped the movies but at least in Batgirl's case they could be justified in saying there was no interest. I think a few are over the comic/superhero phase since there is so much of it lately. So I can see their concern there. There is no guarantee with all movies though. They already spent the money so to me surely it makes sense to try get some of that money back. As for Scoob!2 I am shocked it ever existed. While it was watched by many, I thought the reception was poor. So if someone was paying attention to that I can understand that getting cancelled. But a TV show which has aired a season & has a fanbase? That is a whole different thing to consider. I expect that it has made HBO money & presumably will continue to do so.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-06-2022, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
I imagine they will let the shows air at least a little bit to seenreaction before deciding for sure. Although I thought that with CW & not all in their big cull earlier this year had aired all that had been picked up. But it just isn't logical to cull too much for a service people pay for.
Yeah, they suyrely want to wait and decide. GG is also VERY expensive, they got a huge budget for S2 (therefore they rebuilt the whole Met Gala red carpet in a set and they're filming an international episode too. They also got some bigger guest stars), all because it was a hit when it debuted. It even brought people to watch/rewatch the original show, which is also on HBO Max.

Quote:
but at least in Batgirl's case they could be justified in saying there was no interest. I think a few are over the comic/superhero phase since there is so much of it lately. So I can see their concern there. There is no guarantee with all movies though.
I didn't pay too much attention to this part of discourse because I'm not into superhero stuff, but they said in the conference that they're still very interested in DC stuff, they said they have a 10 years plan for it. Of course we don't know the real reasons, to me I think it was still worth to try to release it, even with concern about the theatrical/streaming debate. They could scrap it before it reached post production, then.

About SCOOB and the Ellen cartoon, I think it's also related to the fact that they seem they're getting rid of all family/kids shows. They even cancelled Gordita (a series. So no matter how the interest could be, they aren't going to pay for more kids stuff. They also removed other cartoons from other channels of the group like TNT.

They don't seem to care if something has a fanbase, they look at numbers and money. That's why I need GG to be even a bigger hit in S2, so it can stay

Old 08-06-2022, 02:20 PM
Graphics Team Manager

It will probably depend on if the high cost is met with money coming in. It is no different than normal channels in that as they look at if they can afford to keep shows going. But we both know what that is like . They obviously had faith in it to invest more money into this second season though. So it may depend on if they new people have faith too. But I would hope they will let S2 air & then decide

It could be they are removing children's things (that also seems a big risk imo), but I also think Scoob!2 would have flopped based on anything I heard about the first one.

Batgirl I think would be one which we won't fully understand their decision on.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-06-2022, 02:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
It will probably depend on if the high cost is met with money coming in. It is no different than normal channels in that as they look at if they can afford to keep shows going. But we both know what that is like . They obviously had faith in it to invest more money into this second season though. So it may depend on if they new people have faith too. But I would hope they will let S2 air & then decide
That's for sure. They surely had faith because it was renewed it the week after it premiered, if I remember correctly and they gave it a bigger budget also because of that. Let's hope it keeps staying like this

Quote:
It could be they are removing children's things (that also seems a big risk imo), but I also think Scoob!2 would have flopped based on anything I heard about the first one.
A big risk, maybe, but if they want to focus more on adult stuff then it's the only way. They'll add more realities to HBO Max, more unscripted shows so they need to use the money on those. I don't know about SCOOB, because I didn't even know the first existed the thing again is that they let the movie being done and then decided it wasn't worth it.

It reminds me somehow of Still Star-crossed, the ABC show I watched in 2017, that was cancelled after one season. TV Line later said that at first ABC didn't even want to air it, like they wanted to scrap it and wanted to sell it to a streaming platform, but "higher powers" (I guess Shonda, since it was her series) didn't let them and they had to air it anyway. Of course they never promoted it properly, so it didn't make big numbers and they happily cancelled it.
ABC hated it because they found it terrible (but I wonder: didn't you read the script first? It was just because of Shonda that you thought it was okay to greenlight it?). Also it was shot all on location in Spain and it was insanely expensive, it went overbudget pretty soon and each episodes took like two weeks to be completed. They cut two episodes from the initial order when they were already filming, so it ended on a cliffhanger (pretty bad one, too), after only 7 episodes. They never released the DVDs or let it be streamed somewhere.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread