Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2022, 03:08 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I get focusing on adult stuff. However if a parent had to budget & had to choose between a streaming service with child-friendly content & one without they're going to go with the one with it. Seems a bit of a risky move to me.

SCOOB!2 shouldn't have started production. I think the hard thing for it is that SCOOB! actually did well in sales so I can understand pushing forward with making a second one (or prequel or whatever it was). Plus the Scooby Doo name sells. However there's been some good & bad things in the Scooby Doo franchise & that movie as far as I know generally had poor reviews so would fall in the bad category. So chances are that even if they did stick with it, they wouldn't have gotten much money back. It is a risk since heading into the holiday period (at least in the US) lots of children may have wanted to watch it. But they also may not have too. Some of the percentage of viewers of SCOOB! would have been adults nostalgic for their childhood (especially with covid happening) & they aren't going to go for the second if they didn't like the first. They also may not take their children to see the second if they didn't like the first. It was a risk... they ultimately decided wasn't worth it (the main thing there not making sense is that they've spent money on it so it still is a loss for them)

Knowing ABC, they went sure Shona go ahead. Then when they actually saw what the product was they realised their mistake, didn't think it was any good, so treated it like crap so they could justify cancelling it since they couldn't push it off somewhere else. They're unfortunately sneaky like that. A shame it ended as it did & it hasn't gone further. I can understand no DVD (as that would cost more money to produce), but sell it somewhere streaming to make some of the money back.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
However if a parent had to budget & had to choose between a streaming service with child-friendly content & one without they're going to go with the one with it. Seems a bit of a risky move to me.
Maybe their target aren't families in general, so they don't care about parents but more about people without kids, like they can hope to compensate for them with attracting new people without kids with realities and shows.

Quote:
Some of the percentage of viewers of SCOOB! would have been adults nostalgic for their childhood (especially with covid happening) & they aren't going to go for the second if they didn't like the first. They also may not take their children to see the second if they didn't like the first. It was a risk... they ultimately decided wasn't worth it (the main thing there not making sense is that they've spent money on it so it still is a loss for them)
Probably at first they thought that nostalgic adults were going to like it, but then as you said they realized it was going to not recoup the investment. Still they could at least regain something from it and not bei9ng 100% in loss, but I guess we'll never understand their point of view

Quote:
Knowing ABC, they went sure Shona go ahead. Then when they actually saw what the product was they realised their mistake, didn't think it was any good, so treated it like crap so they could justify cancelling it since they couldn't push it off somewhere else. They're unfortunately sneaky like that. A shame it ended as it did & it hasn't gone further. I can understand no DVD (as that would cost more money to produce), but sell it somewhere streaming to make some of the money back.
But there was also a novel the show was taken from, so they could also imagine how it would have been. I read it and I think the show did better, the book is really a Romeo and Juliet fanfiction, the show is period drama trash, but it has romance and actions and gorgeous costumes. The cast is good, especially the two leads.
Yeah, I get the DVD costs, but they did release the DVDs of Galavant three years after they had cancelled it (always ABC). Sure, it was just the episodes put on DVS, no extras no subtitles even, but still it was something. They didn't put it on Disney+ though (same for SSC). I think they just pretend SSC never existed, even though the actress who played Rosaline had her career launched after that, she even was a co-lead in the latest James Bond movie.

I expected Shonda to take it with her when she moved to Netflix, but nothing.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Still seems foolish to only focus on adults who don't have children. That's a small percentage of adults unless you also count adults whose children have moved out or are at least teens. Having a mix, even a small one, makes for a better contender for anyone who has to pick between streaming services. But some places do try to aim more for certain age groups

Quote:
Still they could at least regain something from it and not bei9ng 100% in loss, but I guess we'll never understand their point of view
I will never understand the logic of scrapping something you've already spent money on to save money. It doesn't make sense. But maybe they really couldn't see a way it'd make money, only cost more. Seems unlikely it wouldn't get something for them though still

I feel like ABC has a thing about cancelling shows after one season . Along with treating them poorly... Maybe even Shonda pretends SSC never existed. Or ABC still has the rights so she can't do anything with it without their say

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-08-2022, 01:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I guess they think that losing audience with kids is a risk they can take to get a larger audience.

Honestly I'm not even sure they get their actual audience right, like they said HBO Max has a more male audience, when I don't think it's true.

Quote:
But maybe they really couldn't see a way it'd make money, only cost more. Seems unlikely it wouldn't get something for them though still
Or they found out with tax recoup they could get more than with any estimate of success from the release and they chose for that.

Quote:
Or ABC still has the rights so she can't do anything with it without their say
Maybe, just seeing how they wanted to get rid of it, I thought they had no problem

Old 08-11-2022, 12:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

It's rumored that new season is coming on September 2nd and with the same bacthes formula of PLL (so 3 - 2 - 2 - 3).

Old 08-11-2022, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

fingeres crossed

{}
Old 08-12-2022, 01:23 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Also a trailer is coming soon, I guess? Let's hope!

Old 08-12-2022, 10:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

yes ready for teh show to be back

{}
Old 08-13-2022, 01:56 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

You know I was thinking that the rumor came out I think because Safran liked a tweet from a French network saying the show was starting there on Sep. 2 with three episodes. But that tweet doesn't say S2, I think it's just that the first season is premiering there

Old 08-14-2022, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah can be that

cause it takes time to edit

{}
Old 08-15-2022, 02:35 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Yeah, it's strange that a french tv channel announces the premiere before HBO Max, don't you think?

I think they're pretty far with editing, anyway, even though the trailer surely won't have images from the whole season, just the first bunch of episodes, imho.

PLL ends this week, so maybe after that they'll start promo for GG?

Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I think they'll announce either Thursday or Friday

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-16-2022, 01:40 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Thursday is the PLl finale, maybe in the weekend, then? I think more of next week, so the PLL buzz lowered down a little and the attention can be on GG.

Anyway the cast and also the writers are still in Europe/Italy, so they can't even do press for the show. I'm so tired of waiting, even though I fear for my ship. The only way of stopping wondering about what happens is seeing it, so I need the show to come back asap.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

hoepfully in the coming months we hear

also house of dragon coming too

{}
Old 08-17-2022, 01:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Coming weeks, I hope, not months! Unless you meant just "month" like September.

Hopefully it's next week and it's not just a teaser, but a proper trailer.

When HoD is coming? That's on HBO though, so even though the new WBD CEO is obsessed with it, it shouldn't interfere with GG promotion.

Not really spoilery, so I'll post these here. I found them on Twitter, no idea where they took them from.

https://twitter.com/gossipgbra/statu...50247630114816

https://twitter.com/gossipgbra/statu...49529451921409

Last edited by airali_glo; 08-17-2022 at 01:44 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread