Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hunger Games books are also on my reading wish list. I just never got around to reading them. I discovered Twilight before the movies came out for some reason I really loved them when they first came out I was team Edward and hated JB. However, after the movies they became a little to over hyped. I know notice the problems I still have a soft spot for EB since I liked them but i don't hate JB anymore. Movies can sometimes over hyped things.

I tried getting into the Devil Wears Prada because I loved the movie so much but I just couldn't
Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Taylor Swift

I have to read it soon!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

You know I realized I'm more of a bibliophile than a reader--as in I have a love of books--like, physically, more than I love to actually read them. I only really have a couple series' that I read over and over again...but I tend to collect books that I think are pretty. I even have multiple copies of a lot of books because I wanted them with different cover art. And I have like four of those big Barnes & Noble leatherbound classics and I have yet to read any of them, lol.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Taylor Swift

You better read them then.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I have some of the Barnes and Noble ones too.Not the leatherbond ones though. Sometimes in college I was an English major and I found it cheaper to buy the books from Barnes and Noble than at the student store.

I think my books that have the prettiest covers, are Little Woman for some reason I have three copies of that, Anna Karenina I have two copies of that from some reason, and Tess of the D'ubervilles. I haven't read the Tess one but I like the cover.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Obsessed Fan

Jen, you're right, it was the next Derrick Storm book, Storm Front. She had just seen Richard Castle and thought that it was the next Nikki Heat book since Derrick died already. We have it straight now. Have you read the Storm books? If so, are they good? Just finished Naked Heat and will start Wedding Night tonight.

I had to read Les Mis in high school, too, but fortunately it was in English. I took Spanish in school, but we never had to read any books in Spanish. I did, however, had to translate a book from Latin to English in ninth grade. That was tough and it was a fairly thin book. Went on a drive yesterday and played the CDs from the orig cast of Les Mis. It's good but I am more used to the movie and the 25th anniv soundtracks and like them better.

Lindsay, it depends for me, too. I usually will read a book and then later find out that it was made into a movie. If I liked it, I will go and watch it. If I didn't like the movie, though, I will read the book again. If a movie that is made from a book comes out and it looks good, I will go to see it and then after that, if I liked the movie I will read the book because I find the books are usually better...usually.

fox24, I have the book Safe Haven but haven't read it yet, I also haven't seen the movie yet. Maybe I will read the book first on that one. Never read The Lovely Bones but did see it and the murder scene wasn't that bad for me. (have you seen that Alexis Bledel is in a movie Violet and Daisy with Saoirse Ronan from The Lovely Bones that is coming out soon ?)Haven't seen the Life of Pi yet and have only gotten to just past the animal attack and then stopped because I want to watch the movie before I finish it. I have 3 copies of Little Woman as well One is leather bound, one is and old hardcover where the art work is actually on the cover and not a jacket and another is just a hard cover that never had a jacket. I have never read Anna Karenina but have seen several versions of the movie. Wow, I totally forgot about Tess of the D'ubervilles. I had to read that in high school. I think I may read it again. (

Anjs, I read The Devil Wears Prada the day it was released, well, started it that day It took me about a week to finish it. I then saw the movie and liked both. There have been two books that I have read before seeing the movie where I thought the movies were bad. One was The Time Travelers Wife that I really liked and hoped that they would make it into a movie and was so excited when they did. The movie left out so much of the story, parts that really defined the story in my mind so that I didn't really like the movie. If you didn't read the book, I am sure that the movie would have been good. Another one, well actually two is The Notebook where they actually took bits and pieces from the second book The Wedding and put them in there but chanced them in a way where I didn't like the movie. One book I started to read after I saw the movie Sleeping With the Enemies started out so different that, after a couple of chapters, I quit reading it.

Jojo, I have four or five series of books that are leather bound that I bought back in my twenties. They are so pretty sitting on the shelves, but I have read most of them and so has my girls. I have a classics series, children's series and not really sure what the others would be classified as. They were more just a collection of best sellers, I think. I have a lot of books that I haven't gotten to but only because my daughter keeps bringing home free books for me from work. I have to say that a lot of times, if I am picking out my books, I will buy them just by looking at the covers, not reading what it says, but just by the over art. Haven't had but a couple that didn't live up to the art work for me

Last edited by SarahJ5941; 06-10-2013 at 10:06 AM
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well I haven't read the Notebook or the Wedding just saw the movie but that's interesting to know.
I felt the same way about Dear John they change the ending, which was a big part on why the book was so bittersweet and why John Tyree is my favorite male in modern books. I haven't seen Violet and Daisy but look forward to seeing it.

I guess maybe I'll rewatch Lovely Bones just sometimes murder and rape scenes are not things that i can easily watch.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Taylor Swift

I've almost finished The Selection
Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Do you like it?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Taylor Swift

Yeah, it's amazing!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Lindsay - To answer your question, I typically like to read the book first before seeing the movie, but oftentimes I get behind schedule and don't get around to reading it before it's released so that'll set me back.

Sarah - I figured that's what you were referring to and no, I haven't read them but since I'm done with the Nikki Heat novels, I'm seriously considering it.

Maria - I've read Tess of the D'urbervilles and that's quite a book to take on! Thomas Hardy was definitely one of the most challenging authors I've ever encountered, I got REAL acquainted with Mr. Webster for that one! Not to mention, his novels are terribly tragic, dark & depressing, so prepare yourself.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Love this thread.

Unfortunately, I read less than I used to. Double embarrassing considering I studied English lit at uni (well, English in general, but I took more lit courses than linguistic ones). Now that I’ve finally finished my MA thesis (which took years, ‘cuz I’ve gotten so lazy), I’m trying to get back into reading outside of what I needed to for uni. I managed to get through Brothers Karamazov and remind myself why I used to like Dostoevsky. I’d also like to read everything Marge Piercy, Octavia Butler, Jeanette Winterson and Margaret Atwood I can find. In fact, I’ve never read Winterson at all, so whatever of hers I pick up will be my first. Also, James Joyce and P.B. Shelley. I need to read more Joyce and Shelley. And more non-Anglo writers. I especially need to do that.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Elite Fan

I was the same way; I used to read a lot.

I used to have this tradition where I'd go to Costco and pick a random book from their section and just read it even if I knew nothing about it. It's how I came across The Secret Life of Bees and it became one of my favourites. The last time I was reading actively I had an obsession with memoirs so I went through The Bell Jar, A Piece of Cake and The Glass Castle. I'm currently reading The Girl on the Train because I want to see the movie and I refuse to watch it before I finish the book.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 03-14-2018, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Aww I remember that promo Netflix vid, I love it! And I sooooo relate to it! I always carry at least 2 books with me everywhere I go cuz ya never know when you’ll have downtime waiting in line or at a doctor’s office.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread