Old 12-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

I love Lorelai [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited magpi ]
magpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Passionate Fan

In brief:

Lorelai S1/2 and even a little S3 (Haunted Leg, anyone?) I absolutly loved and adored, and could see myself wanting to actually be this persons friend.

Lorelai S4 is grouchy, rude, and seems to hate her Mom with more of a passion now than ever; even if she doesn't, she is sure doing a lot of complaining this season.

Oh, and I agree with Kitty - we're having problems keeping one Lorelai thread around, we probably shouldn't keep two. Maybe this could be an overall Unappreciation Thread for all the characters and you just have to specify which one you plan to bash at the beginning of your post? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] Or... not.
"...with Mardi Gras I kinda have a problem cause you see, I dont like to be topless no dont give it away for free...I guess thats just me. Oh Ellen I don't wanna show my melons just for a string of beads!" - Lauren Graham singing and playing piano on The Ellen Show
ESipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Elite Fan

The Lorelai/Lauren Graham thread issue is irrelevant, IMO, to this. That's an appreciation thread, and the problem is where it "belongs". This is just an unappreciation thread.

I don't really care if you want to make this a general character unappreciation thread or keep them all separate.

Nate, great post. I loved Lorelai during S1. She was alright during most of S2. But man, she can be really annoying sometimes. I think you could be right that that's a result of the writers maybe trying to please the awards people so much that they almost lose touch with the character and the focus of the show. There hasn't been that much progress made with her, but that's a problem with the entire show.
RoxyBlueGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Addicted Fan

Oh wow, okay no death threats aimed my way at all. Cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Surya - I agree with you. When did I ever say that I liked perfect characters? You know how much I love Tristan and we all know he's far from perfect. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Lorelai is flawed. That's what we all loved about her S1-S2. She wasn't/isn't perfect. But lately (and this is due mainly to bad writing) Lorelai is a whiner with no real (adult) reason to complain. Yeah so Luke married...you weren't giving the guy much hope to hang onto now where you, Lor? She uses him, it's plain and simple. It's unhealthy. I hate it. But that's another rant for another day. Lorelai is immature and it's weird because I admired her so much in S1 and S2 but now, I just feel sorry for her. She hasn't grown up at all...in fact, I think she regressing.

Anyway, let's vote. Should we change this to a general character unappreciation thread or keep it as a Lorelai one?

Icon by wicked_one
Jamie Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

General
magpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Witter:
<STRONG>Anyway, let's vote. Should we change this to a general character unappreciation thread or keep it as a Lorelai one?</STRONG>
General.

Jamie please check your PM box. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
BrownEyedGirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Elite Fan

When is the deadline?

I vote general.

We all have characters that irk us and creating a disccussion on that might help people to better understand things or the problem the show is having with certain characterizations. My only concern is that by signalling out specific characters in 'thread titles' we'll segregate the board, creating anger and walls between fanbases in here and I'd much rather we keep our board a friendly 'community'. We could end up with the Dean unappreciation thread, the Rory, the Taylor, the Nicole, the Digger, the Jackson, the list is endless. Having one generic thread can combine thoughts on many characters and create better discussions, rather than post after post of a pointless line of I hate them.... I just feel it's better for the board and for discussion purposes to make the thread title generic.

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited Kelly_mvpics ]
Old 12-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

General.

Although I don't really like unappreciation threads to begin with.

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited northern_lights ]
Old 12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

I vote for a general unappreciation thread.

Isn't it interesting that the two most popular characters, Jess and Lorelai, (based on their thread numbers) were the ones singled out for unappreciation threads.

I have to give a big word to Surya's post. I love flawed characters. They are so much more interesting. Sometimes it is hard to like a character when they are rude or self-centered, but I don't have to always like what they do as long as I understand their motivation.

As for the writing suffering because the show is aiming for awards, I am not so sure that is the reason. I don't think that producers pay any attention to fan sites and even if they did, people's opinions are so diverse that who would they listen to?
LynnieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

General!

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited barelylegal ]
barelylegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Loyal Fan

General unappreciation thread.

I'd love to be able to complain about Taylor and Jess.

And by the way, whenever I don't like Lorelai, I rather think who wrote her like that. DP uses to write her much more immature than ASP does...
"Jesus, these people are pampered, aren't they? Nobody knows how to cook or make a drink. They're used to being waited on hand and foot by servants or Luke or the Yale cafeteria, and when left on their own they resemble Sims. Whining and moaning, peeing on the couch, whimpering that they're bored and hungry."
~Pamie at TWoP

journal
Nutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Master Fan

Right, so that's 9 who want it general, and 0 for keeping it as is.

Jamie and Kitty, I PMed you.
A. B. Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Passionate Fan

I vote general.

Kelly - Big ITA.

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you aren't doing anything very innovative." -- Woody Allen
angellissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Wow, this is strange, I don't know. It's obviously gonna be general but how does it work? I mean on the other show's boards you aren't allowed to go to an unappreciation thread to defend the character. That's a big NO (it's taken the same way that going to an apprec. thread to bash that character). If you like his/her you go to the apprec. or episodes threads. So, how is that gonna work here? If someone comes here to bash Taylor and sees a post ranting about Paris that you're not agree with, do you open debate about it? Or it should be ignored since that person came here not to interact with the character's fanbase?

I don't think we'd end up having an unappreciation thread for each character. If the main 'disliked' ones are Lor and Jess, so be it. If you generally like Paris, Dean, Rory etc and you don't like them in some episode is not that what the episodes threads are for? To talk about what you liked/disliked etc in them?

I'm genuinely asking since it's not that I'm completely sure that separate character's unapp. threads would be better. I'd just like to know how it works.
Clau741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Someone mentioned that before Lorelai was flawed but still very likeable because she apologized. I totally agree. Remember in Season 1 when she bitched at Sookie for not possibly knowing what she's talking about because she hadn't dated in ages? Of course Lorelai quickly realized what a horrible thing she had said and begged for forgiveness. Somehow I think Season 4 Lorelai might have a tougher time with that apology now.