Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 06:12 PM
New Fan

I vote for a general thread because there are times when all of the characters get on your nerves.There would be to many threads if we had a thread for all of them. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Master Fan

I vote for a general thread also.

It's weird but I basically liked all of the characters, except maybe Tristin, in the first season. It's not because it was the first season either, because I didn't see any of season 1 until after I had seen some of season 3.

Again I vote for a general thread.
curlyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Loyal Fan

I think a general characterthread will work.

Quote:
Wow, this is strange, I don't know. It's obviously gonna be general but how does it work? I mean on the other show's boards you aren't allowed to go to an unappreciation thread to defend the character. That's a big NO (it's taken the same way that going to an apprec. thread to bash that character). If you like his/her you go to the apprec. or episodes threads. So, how is that gonna work here? If someone comes here to bash Taylor and sees a post ranting about Paris that you're not agree with, do you open debate about it? Or it should be ignored since that person came here not to interact with the character's fanbase?
I guess most of us admit that we like the characters on the show, at one point or still do. That's why we're here. We care about our characters so much that we can't stand seeing them continue in this downward spiral.

So, while this is an "unappreciation" thread, this doesn't mean we HATE the character. We're just stating their weaknesses in a calm, rational manner, and any die-hard fan of the character should understand we're not "bashing." Remember, we're dissatisfied by a character because of a turn of event/writing that makes the character less desirable before. And if you're indeed a fan, you'd probably agree that a character needs room for improvement. I think constructive critism is the key to peace among the fans.

I'll list an example on a neutral topic - why I don't like S4 Paris (sorry Nate!):

I liked the Paris from the previous seasons because I identify with her insecurity and neurotic behavior. The writer took time to develop these characteristics into her and show that the reason why she hated Rory in the beginning was because she's after that she can be replaced by Rory. She's not just randomly PMSing. And once she realize Rory isn't out to "get" her, Paris eased up - see this is a growth process that allow Paris to be more mature.

But beginning late S3 and throughout S4, Paris's characterization is different that the one set out by the previous writing. Why is there a life coach? Why is there a crafts table? Why is she freaking out at Janet's exercising schedule when she herself used to be the one adopting such schedule? In short, the writers seems to abandoned the old Paris halfway and figure they wanted Paris 2.0. Though I'm not object to change (cuz that's natural), I'm object to them just suddenly throw everything out of the window and say, "Hmm, this girl was the head of the student government, school paper editor and use intelligent long words to obliterate her opponents in debate. But since she's in college, we'll give her a hobby. something so completely opposite of debate. Let's give her a crafts table instead of ... say, toastmaster."

Basically, the reasons why I liked Paris at one point is no longer there. I believe this is the basic running theme of all our character "unappreciation."

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited toughfluff * ]

You know it's funny people these people go to sleep, they think everything's fine, everything's good, they wake up the next day and they're on fire!

(You'll forever get my admiration if you know where the second quote came from!)
toughfluff * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Clau741:
<STRONG>It's obviously gonna be general but how does it work? I mean on the other show's boards you aren't allowed to go to an unappreciation thread to defend the character. That's a big NO (it's taken the same way that going to an apprec. thread to bash that character). </STRONG>
Yeah, that's going to be hard. I've already seen several posts I would like to respond to but won't.

I'm not voting either way though, because I don't plan to post in here on a regular basis no matter how the vote goes.

When the vote is over we'll have to get the rules of the thread up on the first post. I didn't know that you're not supposed to defend an unappreciated character in this kind of thread, but it does makes sense.

jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Elite Fan

Claudia- a general thread would be an open thread to 'discuss', 'debate' and express ones 'opinion' on 'any' character that may be disliked or written poorly on the show. You may have liked a character, but hate what has become of them. You may like a character interacting with certain characters but not with others. There's a wide range of possiblities of reasons, other than someone simply posting "I hate so and so". You could jump in and discuss any character. Things can be debated and discussed as long as it doesn't get taken out of hand and people remember to respect other people's opinions- something I'm sure our moderators would be watching for to handle. Everyone has the arrogant use of freedom of speech, but there is a morality line to remember that this is a board for 'all' Gilmore Girls fans and respect must be made for everyone to get along. However, if anyone has a problem reading negative things said about characters they like and can't handle a discussion about them, then I would only suggest to not enter and read this thread at all- another example of the importance to not actually name specific characters in the thread title and keep it a general unappreciation thread discussion- to show respect to other posters and prevent people from being upset. I just hope people realize that there's a difference between an intelligent discussion about what one dislikes about a character and posting for no other reason than to simply provide pointless character bashing. I would hope that our board of posters is mature enough to make a thread like this a learning experience from people's insight and opinions rather than just a warzone of words.

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited Kelly_mvpics ]
Old 12-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm undecided on the general/specific poll, so I won't vote. Sorry I can't help.

I think that it probably makes sense not to have people defending the characters. Almost all posts so far have said "I really love Lorelai, but sometimes..." Which shows that we're not just complaining about them, we're giving reasons and times when certain 'qualities' were shown. I think that if we go on being as nice as we have been so far, we won't have to worry about fights.

Lorelai: I...I just don't care anymore. He's the one missing out on something really great. (she looks at RORY)
Josh: Yeah. Two really great things. (LORELAI smiles)
-Before the Beginning
SamiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SamiJoe:
<STRONG> Almost all posts so far have said "I really love Lorelai, but sometimes..." Which shows that we're not just complaining about them, we're giving reasons and times when certain 'qualities' were shown.</STRONG>
There is the possibility of removing the word 'unappreciation' altogether and changing the theme of the thread title. Making it the 'What problems do you have with characters'. That might be better and would continue a 'general' discussion regarding all aspects of characters- good and bad, and keep it friendly. Just a thought.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:31 PM
Addicted Fan

General Unappreciation is useless. It's a place for people to complain and nit pick behaviors they don't like in certain characters. Thats why, if you love the you go to the appreciation thread.

If its general, and you LOVE a character, you don't want to see bashing on it. Thats why there needs to be seperate ones.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristineCS:
<STRONG>If its general, and you LOVE a character, you don't want to see bashing on it. Thats why there needs to be seperate ones.</STRONG>
Well, I love Lorelai and frankly don't like that there's an Unappreciation thread for her and it offends me more than if there was just a general What problems do you have with characters? thread, which seems like it could be a great discussion thread, not bashing characters. You know, "Yes, I don't like such and such this character does, here's how I think they can improve that character, ect."

If this title stays this way, then I'm thinking I'll start an Unappreciation thread for every single character that's ever appeared, because I can honestly think of at least one thing I didn't like about all of them.

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited A. B. Normal ]
A. B. Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Everyone's not you. Look around FF, there are character unapprecation/couple unappreciation threads everywhere.

Not everyone feels the same way as you do. if you dont like it, dont click on the thread.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Master Fan

Okay, thanks I know that. All I'm saying is, I think people here have enough common sense to comment on a thread where they can discuss their unrest with a character, and see both sides. If you think people aren't objective enough to see a negative comment on characters they love, then maybe you're right. Let's start individual ones on each character.
A. B. Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Okay, wow, so much feedback. Now here's what I found out and what I think works.

I talked to Roxy and asked her if I kept the thread as it is, would there be a problem. She said that there wouldn't be because every board on the forum has unappreciation thread for a lot of characters.

This thread is specifically for discussing what we don't like about Lorelai, what irks us and so on. As everyone can see, someone already started a Jess Unappreciation thread and Roxy said she wasn't going to close it. She also said it was upto me to decide whether I wanted to keep it this way or change it.

If we keep this a general board, then it's going to cause A LOT of tension, people bashing each other and so on...because as someone mentioned, if I go off on let's say Jess and a Jess lover comes here to go off on Dean and she sees my posts...it's going to be upsetting. There are going to be more fights if we keep it general. If we don't, only the people who dislike what Lorelai is doing can come in here and rejoice in their mutual annoyance with her. People who love Lorelai and think she is the best thing on this planet next to slice bread can stay away.

As someone mentioned, they hate seeing a Lorelai Unappreciation thread up but you know what, some people don't like her. It's an opinion and you can't change that. I talked to a lot of people online who post here and they asked me to keep it as it is.

If you want to start a Taylor Unappreciation Thread (I'm sure we can all agree to hate Taylor) or a Tristan Unappreciation Thread (which would be weird since he's no longer on the show but hey, if you hate him...) or a Nicole Unappreciation Thread (although I am sure the JJ thread is full of Nicole dislike - hee) then you can go right ahead. People who like the above characters will just have to deal with the thread and if they're smart enough, avoid going there.

I am keeping this thread as it is because frankly, I can see that most people who want it to change are Lorelai lovers and they just don't want to deal with a thread of people who hate her. And that's the whole point of this thread...you have a Lorelai Appreciation Thread, you can post there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm sorry if this sounds a little rude or harsh but Roxy told me it was my decision to keep it as is or change it...so after much deliberation, I'm keeping it like this. After all, this is just a TV show and Lorelai is a fake fictional character who is not real. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

PS - Please keep the hate mail to a minimum. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Icon by wicked_one
Jamie Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Okay! I call starting one on Cinnamon.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristineCS:
<STRONG>Okay! I call starting one on Cinnamon.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Funny. I'll be the first one to post there. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Icon by wicked_one
Jamie Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

I want to start an "Amy S-P Unappreciation Thread". Actually, how about a "I Hate Useless Characters Thread" (I'm talking to you, Tobin and you, Brennan"
curlyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread