Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Witter:
<STRONG>And saying that she spent a week adjusting?</STRONG>
No kidding!!!!
“I wasted a week of my life adjusting to the idea that you had moved.” What, Lorelai? “I care, because I don’t want you to move.” Double what, Lorelai? The sense of entitlement, and yet not telling Luke how you really feel, and even more so not telling Luke that you are with-with Jason at this very moment

More gripes about Lorelai this past episode.

1. Stop talking during funerals! Must you always be so disrespectful!

2. That floral-overload shirt in the last scene may the most hideous garb I have ever seen.

3. Lorelai is crazy. She is selfish. She is jealous. She sure knows how to play not fair. She is sleeping with insomniac/OCD Jason, clearly not exclaiming “Oh, Luke!” in the climax of passion. Poor Luke is married for goodness sakes, and cannot bear to sleep in the same county as his wife. Lorelai does not consider them friend-friends, since he didn’t tell her about his moving to Litchfield, but he has no clue about Jason. What is so fair about that?

[ 01-29-2004: Message edited ilovetheshins ]
ilovetheshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>As you may have noticed, I changed the title of this thread. Susie and I were discussing the word Unappreciation and she made me realize that the word in and of itself in offensive to people (delicate) sensibilities and since I really don't unappreciate Lorelai, I thought I'd change the title and make this a more friendly place to vent out frustrations with her.</STRONG>
That was nice of you Jamie! I hope 'other' people on this board show the same courtesy and follow suit with changing the 'unappreciation' words on other threads here [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] This is, after all, a board for everyone.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins:
<STRONG>3. Lorelai is crazy. She is selfish. She is jealous. She sure knows how to play not fair. She is sleeping with insomniac/OCD Jason, clearly not exclaiming “Oh, Luke!” in the climax of passion. Poor Luke is married for goodness sakes, and cannot bear to sleep in the same county as his wife. Lorelai does not consider them friend-friends, since he didn’t tell her about his moving to Litchfield, but he has no clue about Jason. What is so fair about that?</STRONG>
A big fat WORD. Lorelai won't EVER tell Luke how she feels, she feels she's entitled to him somehow but all she ever really needs him for is to provide food and coffee and shovel her driveways and fix her gutters and build her chuppahs and watch while she goes from guy to guy and yanks his chain in the process. Deep down she knows how he feels about her. She'd have to be stupid not to and yet she can't ever just come out and say anything straight. She'll be petty and bitchy and holier-than-thou and won't ever come and freaking say that "I want you Luke because you've always been there and let me walk all over you and I know you'll always be there and if I snap my fingers you'll drop everything at once to do my bidding and I love you for it because I am an immature, selfish, self-centered baby."

Well, not that but... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Icon by wicked_one
Jamie Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
<STRONG> yanks his chain in the process. Deep down she knows how he feels about her. </STRONG>
This is what kills me. Lorelai may not know in the foreground of her thoughts, but she's not emotionally dumb. How can she be OK, if she remotely were to think, just for one second, about someone else other than herself (and Rory), with the fact she is treating Luke like marzipan, hurting him. How does she live with herself, go about her flitting about with various men?

She becomes upset by a singular instance of Luke not telling her something, which should cause her to think, "Hrm, what is our relationship like? What does he think of me? How do I affect him with my actions?" Instead, she neglects ALL the instances in her life she is demonstrating poor interpersonal caring skills...

I love Lorelai, but geez, she is so exasperating at times!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Addicted Fan

ilovetheshins - Will you marry me? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Dude, your sig is effing hilarious! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Icon by wicked_one
Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 AM
Addicted Fan

Hehe, depends on if you look like Jude Law... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My sig is the funniest quote from that not-that-funny-but-interesting film. It's a keeper.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Jude... [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] I don't look like him but I'm a real good companion! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Icon by wicked_one
Old 01-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>I loved Luke for telling her to sticking her nosy nose out of his fricking business. Her wishy-washy ways with him have got to end. And yes Lorelai, he IS married. The way she said that was a whole 'nother issue just got my blood boiling. You're either married or you're not and who the hell are you to pass judgement on Luke, Miss-I-Flaked-On-My-Wedding-Night/Miss-I-Have-Yet-To-Grow-The-F**k-Up?</STRONG>
Now I'm normally one of the first to jump on the Lorelai rant bandwagon but this time not so much. The thing is I can't defend Luke in this situation because he's wishy-washy too. He won't commit to his wife because he's still so stuck on Lorelai. Lorelai had a point saying that he being Nicole's husband was a whole other story. Yes, he's married technically but he doesn't behave like it. Being married is more than a certificate. If he was so married and soo happy about moving in why didn't he tell Lorelai when he was first moving in? Simple. He's afraid of endangering the maybe-maybe not relationship with Lorelai.

Initially Lorelai was just hurt that he didn't tell her about moving in with Nicole, that's a life changing thing. "Hey, Lor, I'm moving in with my wife Nicole to a whole other county," is a bigger statement than "Luke, I'm dating this guy named Jason, he's kinda not my type but is at the same time."

Lorelai flaking out on her wedding is a lot better that getting a little drunk on a cruise ship marrying this person while your still hung up on someone else and then getting back together with this person after you initally decide to divorce. Luke's love life seems to me more emotionally damaging to both parties involved than Lorelai's.

Sorry this turned into a Luke rant, hehe, but if my best friend didn't tell me he was moving away I'd be pretty pissed off too. But to stay on topic with the Lorelai rant, I say her hat and blouse in her last scene were UGLY!! Ant talking in funerals is rude! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2004, 11:50 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dream a little Dream:
<STRONG>
Lorelai flaking out on her wedding is a lot better that getting a little drunk on a cruise ship marrying this person while your still hung up on someone else and then getting back together with this person after you initally decide to divorce. Luke's love life seems to me more emotionally damaging to both parties involved than Lorelai's. </STRONG>
dream, you made some excellent points. Luke doesn't know what he's doing. I think a lot of this is because of Lorelai.

Individually, Luke may have an equally as terrible, if not worse, grasp on the concept of love life and relationship than Lorelai, but within the context of the Luke&Lorelai relationship, Lorelai has been less than fair, ever since the beginning.

But I do agree that Luke needs to pull it together. If Lorelai were to run to him at this very moment, about 90% of those problems would disappear. (Luke was with Rachel, before falling in love with Lorelai, and he had issues there, but that was partly attributable to Rachel's leaving-town ways.)
Old 01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Fan

[ 01-31-2004: Message edited ~Kitty ]

junkie | LG fanlisting | My babies | Life's a Bitch

The Seeress of the High Desert
~Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins:
<STRONG>but within the context of the Luke&Lorelai relationship, Lorelai has been less than fair, ever since the beginning.</STRONG>
Ever since the beginning, though, Luke has allowed himself to get into a this game with Lorelai. In fact, he encourages it. He loves the flirty way that she approaches him. I really don't think she knew about Luke's feelings for her in the beginning. She was constantly relating how Luke was disgusted with her eating habits, etc. Luke continues to risk all his relationship with other women by holding onto Lorelai. Similar to what Lorelai would do because she was still hung up on Chris.

I agree, Kitty, the writers do need to work on their relationship. Why don't they try them hanging out without having significant others on the side. Lorelai is lonely right now with Rory "gone", Luke is a perpetual loner. They could do more movie nights or go bowling or anything.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm not saying that Luke is not to be blamed for whatever problems he's having with marriage or Lorelai or whatever, Kitty. I agree that they're both at fault for the this stupid dance they've been doing all year long but we're ranting ABOUT Lorelai here, not Luke. This is a thread focused on whatever mistakes Lorelai is making...so yes, Luke maybe stubborn and he may have issues with his marriage but like he said it is none of Lorelai's fricking business. You seem to be missing that whole point Luke was making just like Lorelai did. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Icon by wicked_one
Old 02-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

I agree that Lorelai likes to butt into other people's business quite often but when Luke yelled at her during the shovel snow scene he was actually a little out of line. That scene would have been most accurate after the church scene because that is when she really began questioning his relationship.

It is none of her business whether he decides to movie in with Nicole or if he decides to stay married to her or whatever. But Luke began making those claims about her passing judgement long before she actually began. She wasn't trying to make him feel guilty. She was hurt not that they "moved in together" but that he hadn't told her initially. That he didn't share this news with her, like with those popsicles you can break in half.

Hehe, I just remembered the season 2 premiere when Luke began passing judgement on Lorelai's engagement with Max. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Presuming that they knew nothing about each other asking whether they were going to have kids, yada yada yada. Why did he do this? Because he was jealous and at least in this case Lorelai shared the news even before she got engaged.

Jamie, I agree this is a Lorelai rant thread and should remain so. But part of ranting about Lorelai consists with her relationships with other people and I think other rants should be permitted. Lets keep the board friendly, after all doscussion only flows more and threads benefit from differing opinions. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-01-2004: Message edited Dream a little Dream ]
Old 02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Double post, sorry

[ 02-01-2004: Message edited Dream a little Dream ]
Old 02-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm surprised this thread didnt pop up last year since last season (and a few eps of the second season)is when Lorelai's character was battered to the ground due to poor writing. And unfortunately whether you like it or not the writing IS the character.

Last year she became incredibly and almost unremorsefully rude. The most jarring example during the funeral last year when Lorelai's behavior was not only so obnoxious as to turn her into nothing more than a creep, but given past episodes believably "in character."

Rory escaped most criticism since she was the one apologizing and cleaning up after Lorelai. Though this season is when people began turning on her due to her extravagent gift/accolade/honor/acceptance an episode windfalls followed up by some unseemly whining this season. But that's a different story.

Lorelai though still impetuous at times has been much more subdued this season. In fact in some ways this season is improved on the last one (though not hard given how much I disliked it). I assume what brought along this thread was Lorelai's unseemly tantrum towards Luke which was very third seasonish.

To me it brought back memories of her display towards Max season 3 where she flirted with him even though she knew full well it made him uncomfortable. Basically rubbing his face in what she did to him before and promising him nothing more than the same abuse.

Lorelai isn't just showing a little jealousy at Luke. She is throwing a tantrum over him trying to move on with his life and perhaps find a little happiness. The only thing that seemed to give her comfort is when she saw he really wasn't prepared to move at the end of the episode and that he perhaps wasnt as happy as he claimed.

It's all about keeping all her options open even if she has no plans to pursue those options. All this while supposedly being in a relationship. Very selfish, very childish, not terribly likable. And enough that I've turned against a Lorelai - Luke pairing above and beyond the fact I dont feel any chemistry between the two of them anymore.

On the subject of unappreciation threads. Sometimes bad characters can be fun, but sometimes they are caused by the carelessness of the writers. And sometimes characters just wear thin on you as shows go on. But ranting is part of being a fan. After all, when you stop complaining... that means you've had enough and have probably changed the channel.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top