Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have no idea who those bands are besides Radiohead and Duran Duran.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Elite Fan

Radiohead is my favorite band. Ever.

I've also loved KOL for a long time now, but I've gotta say, their last album (you know that one that made them really famous and successful) was just OK. And the new one is kinda on the boring side, nothing like the first 3 albums. Those are where its at! Listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak, Eric, and then tell me you don't think KOL are something special.

Um, but having said all that, Wilco and Radiohead couldn't be more different. And KOL sound nothing like U2. Rolling Stone is stupid. Glad I cancelled my subscription a few years ago.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

I always hear that their first 3 albums were the best. I've never heard them in its entirety though. Just a couple songs here and there.

Radiohead is epic. I know that word is overused, but in their case, it's very much true.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystaline (View Post)
I have no idea who those bands are besides Radiohead and Duran Duran.
Those other bands I mentioned sadly don't get played on the radio. You have to go out of the box to discover music like this. The only station in NY that plays them is Home | WFUV Radio Unlike some of the music I listen to like (Yarn) who nobody has heard of. Wilco and MMJ and The Avett Brothers have a following. Radio does not play them but they do the late night shows and commercials and festivals and sold out shows. Go listen to there music to really get a sense for each band. You may even find a new band you can crush on. I know I did. Here is some more info on these bands.

Wilco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Morning Jacket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Avett Brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydreams (View Post)
Radiohead is my favorite band. Ever.

I've also loved KOL for a long time now, but I've gotta say, their last album (you know that one that made them really famous and successful) was just OK. And the new one is kinda on the boring side, nothing like the first 3 albums. Those are where its at! Listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak, Eric, and then tell me you don't think KOL are something special.

Um, but having said all that, Wilco and Radiohead couldn't be more different. And KOL sound nothing like U2. Rolling Stone is stupid. Glad I cancelled my subscription a few years ago.
I dig bits and pieces of Radiohead. I am not a huge fan but I am a fan.I once read an article where I think Radioheads Manager sent an unmarked copy of OK Computer to some record company and said listen to my band I manage and give them a record deal. Even though the Record Company had no idea they already had a deal and were famous. The record company listened and said the album and band were crap. Then the manager said it was OK Computer by Radiohead. Then the company changed there mind and apologized. Record Company big shots for the most part know crap.

ITA that Wilco and Radiohead couldn't be more different. And KOL sound nothing like U2 and that Rolling Stone is stupid. Somehow I got a free subscription I think. It just started showing up at my house. Paste is a much better music mag. So is Relix.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

You're adorkable!! - Hell on Heels
Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Elite Fan

Radiohead are epic. Have you ever seen them live? Because if you do, I seriously dare you not to think they are one of the greatest bands ever.

My husband loves Wilco, and I've liked a lot of what I heard (they are played a TON on FNL). I even saw them live once. But, I don't love them. I just respect them, and see why a lot of other people really like them.

I've heard some stuff by My Morning Jacket as well. They seem cool, but I don't know much of their music. Only the singles.

OMG, Crystal. You have to listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak and Because of the Times. Those are the top two KOL albums! I am also fond of their first album, Youth and Young Manhood, although its a lot more raw than the following two. Like I said, IMO, the fourth album was just OK compared to their earlier stuff. I couldn't be more over Sex on Fire and Use Somebody. When I went to see them this summer, I was dreading hearing those songs.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the links, Eric!

Quote:
Radiohead are epic. Have you ever seen them live? Because if you do, I seriously dare you not to think they are one of the greatest bands ever.
I never have. But I would LOVE to. They're so amazing. I think my favorite Radiohead song is Creep. And I love, love, love Karma Police.

Quote:
My husband loves Wilco, and I've liked a lot of what I heard (they are played a TON on FNL). I even saw them live once. But, I don't love them. I just respect them, and see why a lot of other people really like them.

I've heard some stuff by My Morning Jacket as well. They seem cool, but I don't know much of their music. Only the singles.
They're played on FNL a lot? Which songs in particular?

Quote:
OMG, Crystal. You have to listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak and Because of the Times. Those are the top two KOL albums! I am also fond of their first album, Youth and Young Manhood, although its a lot more raw than the following two. Like I said, IMO, the fourth album was just OK compared to their earlier stuff. I couldn't be more over Sex on Fire and Use Somebody. When I went to see them this summer, I was dreading hearing those songs.
I will check those albums out. I'm very curious now. But I have to say, I quite love Sex on Fire. It's such a hot song.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:

I have never seen RH live. I will have to add them to my must see live list. Lately it's been all Counting Crows and Yarn. Yarn lives in Brooklyn and plays NYC all the time so they make it too easy. Plus I have not paid more then $20 for Yarn tix. And they give a 3hr concert easy. The Crows have toured every summer for the 10 years or so. I jump on tour with them every summer.

Never seen Wilco live either. They have been on my list for a while but never got around to it. I own all there albums just have never seen them live. What's FNL?

Did you know that before Wilco was formed founding member Jeff Tweedy played in a band called Uncle Tupelo. UT also featured Jay Farrar who later became the founding member of Son Volt. They were around from the late 80's through the early 90's. The first Uncle Tupelo album was called No Depression. It was a mix of Old School Country, Folk and Punk. Or as some call it Alt.Country or No Depression. They even have a genre of music and a magazine named after them. With 2 singers Ego's got the best of them and the band broke up before making it big. However they leave behind a few great albums. One of which was an acoustic album that was recorded in 4 days. It's so good. For more info check out the following link. Uncle Tupelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The musical guest on SNL this week was KOL. I did not like them. They bored me. Too polished and well dressed. I added the older KOL albums to my list. I will listen to them and get back to you with my review.

On the top of my list is all the new stuff/old stuff Ryan Adams is working on. He's a god in my book.

If anyone has some music I need to check out please feel free to let me know. I am always looking for new music or old bands I have never heard before.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Elite Fan

FNL is Friday Night Lights. And they play a lot of awesome music-- I have discovered so many new bands just by looking up songs I like from that show. Crystal, I can't remember where the songs played off the top of my head, but having watched the show with my husband as well as looking up lists of songs that have played on each episode-- there are a lot of Wilco songs.

I have heard of Uncle Tupelo, actually.

I agree that KOL were a bore on SNL. The newest album is a big ol' snoozefest, which hurts me to say because I do still love them. Eric, you should definitely listen to the older stuff and let me know what you think.

Sadly, there aren't a whole lot of new bands I am into. I did recently download a whole bunch of Greg Laswell's stuff and I'm loving it. A lot of it is highly recognizable from trailers and promos.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
FNL is Friday Night Lights. And they play a lot of awesome music-- I have discovered so many new bands just by looking up songs I like from that show. Crystal, I can't remember where the songs played off the top of my head, but having watched the show with my husband as well as looking up lists of songs that have played on each episode-- there are a lot of Wilco songs.

I have heard of Uncle Tupelo, actually.

I agree that KOL were a bore on SNL. The newest album is a big ol' snoozefest, which hurts me to say because I do still love them. Eric, you should definitely listen to the older stuff and let me know what you think.

Sadly, there aren't a whole lot of new bands I am into. I did recently download a whole bunch of Greg Laswell's stuff and I'm loving it. A lot of it is highly recognizable from trailers and promos.
I gotcha. Never seen that show. I have heard of it but never watched it.

I am surprised that you have heard of Uncle Tupelo. That's so rad. Most people I talk to have never heard any of the bands I like. You get bonus points for that.

ITA about KOL. I started to fall asleep watching them last night. I also sampled the new album and fast forward through most of it. On another musical note. I watched Alejandro Escovedo & Trombone Shorty on Austin City Limits. They both rocked. I also watched The Hold Steady on The Artist Den. I don't get what all the fuss about them is. I dig a few songs from them but otherwise they are just ok.

Will have to add Greg Laswell's stuff to my list.He sounds kind of familiar. I think I may heard one of his songs. I am sitting around endlessly waiting for some new music from Yarn, Ryan Adams & The Counting Crows.

If you head over to CDBaby : Discover Music you can discover new music.You can search for Radio Head or any other famous band/artist and find other bands/artist that say they sound like or were influenced by that band/artist. You also need to head to Free Music : Download & Streaming : Live Music Archive : Internet Archive where you can download free legal live concerts. I love free legal music.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

From Liz:
Quote:
People Mag photo shoot with Shiri and friends. We're acting perfectly natural, not awkward at all. #lifeunexpected
Yay! Can't wait for new pics!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
From Liz:

Yay! Can't wait for new pics!

Neither can I. Thanks for the info. Woo Hoo! New Shiri pics.

It's about time.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 PM
New Fan

People Magazine photoshoot???

I usually don't buy that magazine, but I definitely will just have the pictures of Shiri! I can't wait to see how they look! Thank you for the information.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Passionate Fan

If you live in the United States try to watch Life Unexpected tonight because they are about to cancel it (If they hadn't yet)...if we are her fans try to turn on the tv, at least, if you don't want to watch.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

They're reairing the premiere episode, right?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
They're reairing the premiere episode, right?
You are correct.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread