Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2024, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

[Netflix] ATLA Season One Episode Discussion #1: Everything changed when the live action dropped.

Netflix's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Season One Episode Discussion
There will be no separate threads for each individual episode. All episode discussions will take place here. Please be mindful of other viewers as everyone will watch at their own pace. Use spoiler tags when discussing episodes other than the first two. Indicate which episode you are discussing outside of the tag. As an example:
1x03
Spoiler:

This rule will change in time.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you for starting! I'll take me a few days to watch, so good idea on the spoiler rules.
gold-steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

For sure! I know spoilers will be difficult to avoid everywhere, but we can at least make it easier for people here

Just a few days away
Old 02-20-2024, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Two days.

Arrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:58 PM
Elite Fan

Oooo so many of those scenes look like they're from the third episode in the cartoon when Aaang finds out what happened to the airbenders. It looks amazing!
Old 02-20-2024, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

It really does.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm not prepared to see what happens to the air nomads and sky bison What an incredible trailer! As if I needed to be any more hyped

I will be spending my day away from the internet tomorrow to be able to enjoy the show in peace It's incredible that after all this time it is finally arriving
Old 02-21-2024, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

So soon.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:56 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah that's going to be a sad episode for sure. It'll probably make me cry.

Yeah I definitely won't be able watch it all tomorrow so I'm really going to work to dodge spoilers.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:18 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

I've watched two episodes so far.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

How do you like it?

I will start my live action avatar night with the 2010 movie that I have never seen before and then the 1st or first two episodes of the new show on netflix.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:50 PM
Elite Fan

I only have time for the first episode today because I had the most insane work day ever and am exhausted but I'm going to take notes as I watch and subject you to all of them

Spoiler:
Old 02-22-2024, 09:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

I fully agree with you review, nothing to add, it was really nice, also wanna add, it has a great soundtrack tbh, mixing the classic themes with new themes.

Now my two small points of criticism.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Arrakis; 02-22-2024 at 09:41 PM
Old 02-23-2024, 09:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Feel free to discuss the first two episodes outside of tags

I watched the entire thing so I'm going to give my impression of the show as a whole. When I go back to rewatch it I'll dive into the episodes individually. I get the feeling that I will enjoy it more the second time around. My expectations will be reconfigured (recombobulated ) to fit what the show is as opposed to what I imagined it might be. I'm very curious as to what viewers who have no prior relationship with ATLA will think of the show. They'll be a big part in what makes or breaks it's future.

Do I think this show was great? No. Do I think it's the trainwreck that many reviews claim it to be? No. I think it's middle of the road? It's perfectly fine. I was entertained enough. It was very flawed, but it also had triumphs. I know that it's hard to find that balance between explaining enough for the audience to understand vs. trusting that the viewers are wise enough to pick things up on their own. Clunky dialogue has been mentioned and it definitely showed up here and there throughout the show. If I had to choose the weakest aspect of the show, I would say the writing. It had great moments! But it could get clunky and it got very redundant with some conversations. There were even a couple times I found myself bored? Which is odd? I wonder if I will feel that way when I watch the episodes separately as opposed to all together. It was interesting the way they wove storylines together and I can appreciate how they did that. They gave little Easter eggs concerning stories that weren't touched on. There were even graphic novel references! I know there was an effort to satisfy fans while also making it new and I commend that effort and respect it even if I didn't always like what was done.

I loooooved the Fire Nation royal family scenes. The addition of Azula into this season is one of my favorite aspects of it. In fact she was one of my favorite portrayals along with Zuko and Sokka. The show did an incredible job of showing the bond between Zuko and Iroh. One of the episodes dives into how Zuko got where he is and my GOSH it's so good. Sooo good. Adore it honestly. The Iroh of this show is different to the one we know, and it initially threw me off, but he serves the same purpose, and that much was clear. He just presents in a bit of a different way. I wish the growth in Team Avatar's bond had been shown better or more? I think Katara's character took a hit. She's still great! She has her hope despite her trauma, but is missing other key personality traits and so it takes some adjusting. Aang was incredible, but not quite as lighthearted so that was an adjustment as well.

The visuals were amazing. The cast is amazing. I feel like it's a show that has a lot of potential for the future if they can improve upon the writing. Much like the animated series, it got better as it went along, and that could certainly be the case here as well. I feel like I had more to say? But I'll leave it here for now
Old 02-23-2024, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

I didn't mind the writing of the first two episodes tbh. It was not perfect, but good enough. Just the change of aang levitating was a bit weird, but honestly logical in retrospect. Also bc it was written by bryke who I believe always wanted to change this in the cartoon if they could rewrite.
Reply   Post New Thread