Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Passionate Fan

Such amazing reviews for Gwyneth's performance !:

Quote:
Gwyneth Paltrow Sings 'Country Strong' at the CMAs: How Did She Do?

Gwyneth Paltrow grabbed a guitar and hit the stage for her heavily promoted live performance of "Country Song," the single from her new movie, last night at the Country Music Awards. Strumming next to country music star Vince Gill, the Oscar-winner received a standing ovation for her performance.

Many wondered whether Paltrow—a Los Angeles native who won her Oscar for playing Shakespeare's posh muse—had the Nashville chops when her single was first leaked on the Internet. Now that she's performed it live, how did critics think she did?

Popwrap noticed that the film star looked understandably terrified during the first few bars of her song, but was impressed overall:

Quote:
I braced for the inevitable car crash. But I'm still waiting for impact because Gwyneth delivered a very solid—if not sensational—performance of the sure to be Oscar nominated song alongside Vince Gill on last night's telecast Albeit, she looked positively terrified throughout, but considering she's dipping a toe into totally foreign waters (which are infested with rabid catfish), I can understand the jitters.
The New York Times' Jon Caramanica thinks she outperformed the night's seasoned performers:

Quote:
That Gwyneth Paltrow was joined by Vince Gill for the live premiere of "Country Strong," the title track of the forthcoming film in which she plays a country star bouncing back from addiction, wasn't a surprise. The surprise was that she didn't need his steadying hand nearly as much as some of the night's other performers.
EW's Ken Tucker agrees, saying, "Paltrow performed her song as well as any number of other pop-country acts did theirs, if not better than a few of 'em. (Rascal Flatts, I'm listening at you.)" He also makes a case for why her success is not surprising:

Quote:
If Paltrow has a weakness, it's only in the fact that she tends to approach any role, including that of country singer, with a well-thought-through determination. This can result in a certain self-consciousness—her detractors would say "coldness"; I'd call it braininess. And I find such bright professional strategizing, when it's executed this energetically, charming.
Next up, Paltrow will sing Cee-lo's viral hit song "**** You" on next week's episode of Glee, before Country Strong hits theaters on December 22.
(Source: Gwyneth Paltrow Sings 'Country Strong' at the CMAs: How Did She Do? - Kevin Fallon - Culture - The Atlantic)

Last edited by Annette1986; 11-11-2010 at 11:12 AM
Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Elite Fan

i am LOVING all the good reviews!! besides being AMAZING promotion for the movie it also means there are chances of CS being nominated for oscars in the song category

i love the leighton interviews!!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Passionate Fan

You're right Here are some predictions for the Oscar category 'Best Song' !:

Quote:
Best Song and Score – Is the Academy Not Cool Enough for Reznor and Ross?

There are a few songs to keep in mind for this year, although this is a very bizarre category, along with Doc Feature and Foreign Film that is almost impossible to guess correctly. Their picks are usually kind of wacky – like snubbing Bruce Springsteen for The Wrestler song….

This list was sent to me by a publicist but I think it’s a pretty good compilation. A couple of things to note – the Gwyneth Paltrow song is here but it isn’t Country Strong (above). There are two songs performed by Paltrow, and Tim McGraw. I’d also like to give a shout out to the Made in Dagenham song which was written by Billy Bragg and sung by Sandy Shaw.

I’d also like to give some major props to the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross score for The Social Network. It serves every purpose a film score is supposed to, in that it forwards the story so much that it’s almost a character in its own right. Many people assume the Academy voters are too stodgy to go for this one but here’s to hoping they can change their minds about it.

Here is a great sample of how it is used:

The score for 127 Hours by AR Rahman is also quite remarkable. There are two ways score is approached these days – one is going by the reputation of the composer (I call this the Kris Tapley method, wherein he makes his predictions for the tech categories based on how well known or admired the designer is – usually works, eg Sandy Powell, etc.) and the other way is the Harvey Weinstein method of sending out the score as a hit record on its own. Both work quite well.

For song, it used to be that any celebrity name attached would get nominated – and eventually win. But at some point the voters got a little weird about it and decided that the song had to be integral to the plot and worked into the film, rather than merely tacked onto the end; we know this is silly and random on their part, as they still choose plenty of tacked-on songs.

At any rate, here is a rough list….

How To Train Your Dragon / “Sticks & Stones” – Performed by Jónsi
Jónsi Iceland’s biggest pop star and lead singer of the international chart topping group Sigur Rós performs the end title song “Sticks & Stones” from the DreamWorks 3D Animation blockbuster, How to Train Your Dragon, one of the years best reviewed films. The song is also featured on the film’s soundtrack.

Why Did I Get Married Too? / “Nothing” – Performed by Janet Jackson
Janet Jackson does not disappoint on the lead track “Nothing” from hit-maker Tyler Perry’s latest relationship drama in which Jackson also stars. The airy ballad is vintage Janet Jackson with emotional lyrics delivered in a soft, but telling way. This multiple award winner co-wrote the song with Grammy winner Jermaine Dupri, Johnta Austin, and Bryan-Michael Cox.

Burlesque / “Bound to You” – Performed by Christina Aguilera
Referred to as the “voice of her generation,” Christina Aguilera makes her theatrical film and musical debut as the lead character in Burlesque. Her electrifying vocals on the films track “Bound To You” will remind you why this starlet is a 5-time Grammy winner!

127 Hours / “If I Rise” – Performed by Dido
Grammy nominated English singer/songwriter Dido, who shot to success after her debut album sold 21 million copies worldwide, displays her unique vocal abilities on “If I Rise”. Dido collaborated with 2-time Oscar winner A.R. Rahman on the song, which is featured in the climax of this compelling film.

Country Strong / “Coming Home”, “Me and Tennessee” – Performed by Gwyneth Paltrow
This compelling film about a troubled country superstar attempting a comeback features two major songs; Gwyneth Paltrow performs “Coming Home,” a powerful ballad written by Bob DiPiero, Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey and Troy Verges. Paltrow also joins with superstar Tim McGraw for a duet on the original song “Me and Tennessee,” composed by A. Martin. This show stopping number is one of the film’s dramatic and musical highpoint s.

Waiting For Superman / “Shine” – Performed by John Legend
John Legend, the recipient of six Grammy Awards wrote and performs the powerful anthem “Shine” for the critically acclaimed documentary Waiting For Superman. This moving song is sure to be a classic from this landmark film about America’s education system.

Burlesque / “You Haven’t Seen The Last Of Me” – Performed by Cher
Music has very few living legends, but Cher is one of them. She commands the screen in her first starring role in a decade, performing “You Haven’t Seen The Last Of Me” written by the incomparable hit maker and six time Oscar nominee Diane Warren (acclaimed writer of Cher’s past megahit “If You Could Turn Back Time”). This ballad is a true show stopper in this film.

FOR BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Inception / Hans Zimmer
The brilliant Oscar winner Hans Zimmer teams with Christopher Nolan for the 3rd time, creating one of the most praised and innovative scores of the year. Once again pushing the musical envelope, Hans creates a musical world that perfectly compliments Nolan’s vision.

The Social Network / Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
Versatile producer and composer Atticus Ross continues his alliance with Nine Inch Nails lead singer Trent Reznor, who is regarded as one of the most influential, unique and talented musicians of our time. Reznor makes his feature film debut with the critically acclaimed score for The Social Network. Hailed as another “character in the film,” the score this story of innovation, determination and success.

How To Train Your Dragon / John Powell
Having penned the score for one of the biggest movies of the year, John Powell has made a name for himself by creating memorable original music that has unique melodies and textures. This family-friendly, animated action film is enhanced greatly by the epic Golden Age score. John Powell’s past credits include Shrek, I am Sam, Happy Feet and the Bourne films.

127 Hours / A.R. Rahman
Superstar musician A.R. Rahman, who won the Best Score Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire, once again teams up with Danny Boyle for this real life drama starring James Franco. The score is largely guitar driven, and Rahman is pitch perfect for the film’s most dramatic moments, eloquently reflecting the overall mood of the film.

The Tempest / Elliot Goldenthal
Oscar winning composer Elliott Goldenthal (Frida) has created a brilliant, eclectic and inventive score for his latest collaboration with longtime partner Julie Taymor. For this very cool version of Shakespeare’s final play, Goldenthal has used electronics, songs, and orchestra to bring this tale to life. Also nominated for his scores for Neil Jordan’s Interview with the Vampire and Michael Collins, Goldenthal’s song for Frida “Burn It Blue” also received an Oscar nom, and the score won the award in 2003. Well known for his classical work, Goldenthal is that unique composer who moves easily between film, theater, opera, and ballet. He was named a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in 2006 for his opera Grendel.

True Grit / Carter Burwell
The brilliant Carter Burwell, who has worked 15 Coen Brothers films, once again brings his unique and inventive style to this imaginative remake of the 1969 classic. Amazingly, Burwell has never been nominated for an Oscar, but has won countless awards for O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Fargo.

The Fighter / Michael Brook
Golden Globe and Grammy nominated composer Michael Brook (Into the Wild, An Inconvenient Truth) is known for his varied body of work, including his guitar solos for major motion picture soundtracks such as Black Hawk Down and Traffic. His score for David O. Russell’s The Fighter crafts together a composition that heightens the intensity of the film, which features magnificent performances by Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg.

Next Three Days / Danny Elfman
Oscar Nominee and former Rock and Roll superstar Danny Elfman has created an exciting score for Paul Haggis’ action thriller Next Three Days, starring Russell Crowe, Liam Neeson, and Elizabeth Banks. A bit of a departure from his work with Tim Burton on Alice in Wonderland, also one of the year’s best scores, Next Three Days showcases Elfman’s talent in this suspenseful drama.

The Town / Harry Gregson Williams & David Buckley
Golden Globe and Grammy nominee Harry Gregson Williams, who previously teamed up with Ben Affleck on Gone Baby Gone, collaborates with composer David Buckley on the pulsating score for Affleck’s latest film, the critically acclaimed The Town. With this film, the score provides an ambiance perfectly suited for this gritty, high intensity drama.

Never Let Me Go / Rachel Portman
Inspired by the highly acclaimed novel, Never Let Me Go highlights’ Rachel Portman’s ability to convey emotion through music. Love and betrayal are depicted in the film and the score pulls you into these sentiments vividly. Portman is the first female composer to win an Oscar.

Get Low / Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
With a tremendous international reputation that continues to grow, composer and Academy Award winner Jan A.P. Kaczmarek captures the quirky and sentimental feel of Get Low in his moody, blue-grass infused score. The cast of legendary actors in the film also makes the piece that much more enjoyable.

Okay, so we know that the Disney peeps are going to be in there because they always are. So, to dig into Best Song further, I went over to InContention to see what Tapley was thinking about and of course, this is what he has:

“Country Strong”
“Tangled”
“Tangled”
“Toy Story 3”
“Waiting for Superman”
Three from Disney/Pixar. So, you know, sorry Billy Bragg, this is the Oscars we’re talking about. At any rate, Janet Jackson is SO IN. And she is the only one who can give John Legend a run for his money for the win. I’m not going to argue with the Tangled/Tangled/Toy Story 3 situation, though. How could I? I know how it all works.

But if I had to predict today Best Song — I don’t even know what I’d say, except maybe:
For Colored Girls
Tangled
Toy Story 3
Waiting for Superman
Burlesque (with Cher – it’s CHER!)

I will lose, though, because I’m terrible with predictions. Billy Bragg is probably my “for your consideration” pick.

Kris has predicted the following for Best Score:

“How to Train Your Dragon”
“Inception”
“The King’s Speech”
“Never Let Me Go”
“The Tempest” He’s changing this to “127 Hours”
My money for score, right now, would be:
Inception
True Grit
127 Hours
The Social Network
The King’s Speech
(Source: "Country Strong" trailer - Page 9 - Awards Daily Forums)

This would mean that Country Strong isn't submitted for Oscar consideration, but 'Coming Home' and 'Me and Tennessee' are
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

for the oscar buzz!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

Country strong really has a lot of buzz for best song nomination!!! That's great!!! i would love to see CS be nominated for best song,best leading actress and best movie
Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Extreme Fan

love that interview, especially when she says she'll be releasing an album and looks at the camera and points she's just the cutest!

I am a shipper whore and the list of people I ship Leighton with is always growing.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Elite Fan

she is amazing
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww yeah that was cute! She's talking to us.

I want those nominations too D! If it's up for best movie, there's a good chance Leighton would get to attend!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Extreme Fan

she was talking to us

yep, want best movie nomination, just for Leighton in a flawless outfit!

I am a shipper whore and the list of people I ship Leighton with is always growing.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Passionate Fan

Country singer Marshall Chapman talks a bit about her role in Country Strong !:

Quote:
Marshall Chapman keeps busy

Marshall Chapman has a lot of stories.

She has toured with Jimmy Buffett, acted alongside Gwyneth Paltrow and written songs for Emmylou Harris. But it’s the tale of her week on the road in Willie Nelson’s tour bus that nearly trumps them all.

Chapman, a Nashville, Tenn., musician, songwriter and music journalist for more than three decades, contacted Nelson for an interview for her latest book, “They Came to Nashville.” Instead of sitting down for an ordinary question-and-answer session, the busy musician invited Chapman to tag along for the final leg of his tour.

“I didn’t sleep the whole time I was on the bus,” she says. “I couldn’t sleep because I was so excited.”

This wasn’t Chapman’s first time hanging out with the country legend. They met during the early 1970s at a party in Nashville. The story of that night — along with her account of her week on Nelson’s tour bus — went into “They Came to Nashville.” The volume contains interviews she conducted with industry friends such as Kris Kristofferson, Rodney Crowell and Miranda Lambert on their first experiences in Nashville.

Before including the story in her manuscript, she let Nelson take a peek.

“I let Willie read it on the bus,” she says. “I said, 'Willie, this isn’t gonna be a kiss and tell,’ and he laughed and said, 'I have the kind of reputation that you can’t ruin.’ ”

Growing up in Spartanburg, S.C., Chapman never imagined she’d end up a country musician. The daughter of a cotton mill owner, Chapman enjoyed an upper-class childhood that had her on the track to attend college and become a wife and mother.

“There was no example in my family to pursue this path I’ve chosen,” she says. “I came from a very traditional Southern upbringing where Dad earns all the money and Mother raises the kids.”

But Chapman had other plans.

After seeing Elvis Presley in concert as an impressionable 7-year-old, she knew she’d never be just an ordinary housewife.

“I didn’t choose music; music chose me,” she says. “I’ve never made decisions about career. Opportunities have just presented themselves to me, and that’s what brought me here.”

That’s an experience she shares with several of the friends she interviewed for the book, such as Kristofferson.

“I would go back and listen to the tape of my interview with Kris, and he was just so literary,” she says. “A lot of people don’t realize he was going to teach English lit at West Point before he decided to change the whole direction of his life.”

After graduating in 1968 from Salem Academy, a college-preparatory school in Winston-Salem, Chapman moved to Nashville to attend Vanderbilt University. Finally in the Music City, she began pursuing her dream of becoming a musician. For the next three decades, she toured, performed and wrote songs for some of the top names in the industry (including Emmylou Harris, Joe Cocker and Jimmy Buffett). She also recorded several albums and even wrote the songs for the Broadway musical, “Good Ol’ Girls,” based on the short stories of North Carolina writers Lee Smith and Jill McCorkle.

In the meantime, Chapman made plans to record an album of duets with her longtime friend and musical partner, Tim Krekel. But tragedy struck in June 2009 when Krekel suddenly died of cancer.

Chapman turned to music for comfort as she worked through her grief. As her emotions poured out in song, Chapman realized she had enough material to fill an album. The songs — new pieces inspired by Krekel and a few unreleased tracks featuring him as a co-writer, musician and singer — became her latest record, “Big Lonesome.”

“I wasn’t going to do another solo CD after the last one, but when Tim died, and the songs started pouring out, I thought, 'I have to do this record to honor my friend.’ ”

Krekel’s spirit is all over the album. His voice and guitar can be heard on the upbeat title track, and his relationship with Chapman is immortalized in the heart-wrenching “Tim Revisited.”

“It makes me so happy when I drive around and listen to the CD, and then sometimes I cry,” Chapman says. “When I make art, I want to make people happy, but I want them to be moved at the same time. That’s how this is; it moves me. And ultimately, it just gives me joy that I had this wonderful friend.”

And she thinks Tim would be happy with the result.

“I think he’d absolutely love it,” she says. “I think he’d look me right in the eye and say, 'It’s the best album you ever made.’ ”

Not long after she finished the album, Chapman had another opportunity unexpectedly fall into her lap. A friend e-mailed to tell her about a casting in Nashville for a soon-to-be released film “Country Strong” starring Gwyneth Paltrow. Chapman thought it would make a good magazine story to audition, knowing she had no acting experience. So she scheduled an appointment.

“I went and read for it, and it was just me and the casting director,” she says. “She would cue me, and of course, I just botched all of my lines because I wasn’t taking it seriously.”

But the casting director liked what she saw, botched lines and all. She told Chapman to go learn the lines and come back. A few days later, Chapman had the part.

“My character is sort of a rode-hard-and-put-up-wet 50-something,” she says of her role as Paltrow’s character’s road manager. “She’s seen it all and has a foul mouth, so the cussing I did when I botched those lines worked for me.”

Working with Paltrow seems an intimidating prospect for a first-time actor, but Chapman found the Oscar-winner helped bring out the best in her co-stars.

“She’s very kind and generous,” Chapman says. “Being in a scene with her, she just draws you in, in a really good way.

“There’s something that people have; they’re called stars for a reason. Being in a room with her, it’s like she’s a star with her own light source. People like her just shine, and they make you shine, too.”

After releasing an album, writing a book and starring in a movie, all in the span of about a year, most people would want to take some time off to relax. Not Chapman. Instead, she’s hitting the road for a tour that makes three stops in North Carolina, including a show Nov. 17 at her alma mater, Salem Academy, as part of “Six Days in November,” an annual celebration of Winston-Salem’s status as a center for arts, crafts and innovation. At Salem, fans will get a special performance.

“Salem is the only place that I do my rap version of 'The Canterbury Tales,’ with choreography,” she says with a laugh. “When I was at Salem Academy, we had this teacher who made us memorize these long English literature pieces. I still remember them to this day.”

Impromptu, literature-inspired raps aside, Chapman’s show is a loose affair, as the musician is averse to sticking to a rigid set list. “One thing I can guarantee,” she says, teasing, “something will happen.”
(Source: Marshall Chapman keeps busy : goTriad.com - Triad Arts and Entertainment)

Last edited by Annette1986; 11-11-2010 at 12:45 PM
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by meestermanic (View Post)
she was talking to us

yep, want best movie nomination, just for Leighton in a flawless outfit!
We might get it!!

Thanks for that article Annette!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Elite Fan

I love all this press and promotion

Hopefully once the movie is out we'll be getting this kind of reviews about Leighton too
Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Passionate Fan

There is a really nice new website for the movie with all kinds of new applications !: Country Strong

Beau and Chiles looks so beautiful together !:

Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Elite Fan

Did i mention how excited i am about these two?

Thank you so much Annette!!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Passionate Fan

There seems to be another screening of Country Strong tonight !:

Quote:
At a screening of Country Strong. @itsmeleighton is so good!! And Garrett Hedlund is a fine piece of country ass.
I love the Leighton praise !
Closed Thread   Post New Thread