Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady (View Post)
In regards To your other point sadal about this weeks promo for next weeks episode...i believe they did not want to give much of 15.5 away this early. They wanted to probably save it for a shocking and really great promo after the 15.4 episode. Just a theory.
Oh, I agree -- I wasn't expecting a preview of Ray's appearance (I had hoped, but knew it was a longshot for the reasons you explained). But I was talking more about Drs. Greene and Carter. For many longtime (and nostalgic returning fans) fans, Abby and Luka represent the last of the old-school ER. For those fans who haven't really followed the 'newbies' (relatively speaking - Neela and Sam are the veterans now, but they only started in season 10, I think, and then there's all the cast that joined in the last few years), TPTB could have used the teaser to reassure viewers that we WILL continue to see familiar faces. Oh well. It's the last season; guess it doesn't matter anyway. *shrugs*

ETA: Saw the latest on the spoiler board. Well, if they're gonna put out promotional pics of 15.5, they could have given us a tiny little tease, just something to hold us over, right? lol!

Last edited by Sandalwood; 10-17-2008 at 08:05 AM
Old 10-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Master Fan

I thought it was great how they mentioned Carter....and it gave a little hope to my Carby deprived heart to think that maybe she wanted to put her name next to his, and at the very least, she was looking for it anyways.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Master Fan

Oh man, I'm such a sap. It was all I could do not to cry when we saw the wall. That kind of nostalgic stuff gets me every time.

I missed the first half of the episode. But the last half was good. It was a good way to end Abby's tenure on the show.

I'm really gonna miss her *sigh*
I love you but, I don't even know why
Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Master Fan

I can't imagine her not being there. It's really hard to comprehend.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Master Fan

From Marc Berman:
Quote:
ER (NBC)
Viewers: 8.81 million (#2), A18-49: 3.5/10 (#1)
It'll be interesting to see what the ratings are next week with Maura now gone.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Absolute Fan

Abby was my favorite character so it was really sad to see her go. MT is a phenomenal actress and I'm definitely going to miss her.

I'm glad Abby and Luka got their own goodbye though. It means more than if it was squished in with everything in the last few episodes of the series.
I wanna uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-undo it

LJ
Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Unfaithful~ (View Post)
I can't imagine her not being there. It's really hard to comprehend.
Definately hard to comprehend. Especially considering she was pretty much one of the final ones to leave. I mean she was there back when Mark was still alive so she definately was around for a long time. Aside from Chuni and Haleigh who are still there (thank God!)

But yeah, it will be really weird without her.
Emma♥Neal
Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

Good episode, I thought.

In case anyone else was wondering, and since I'm such a dork, I looked up the names that are on the wall. Of course everyone would recognize Ross, Gallant, Barnett, etc, but there were 6 I didn't get. L(ydia) Woodward, N(eal) Baer, J(ack) Orman, S(cott) Gemmill and (Teresa) Salamunovich are all past executive or co-exec producers. B Arollo isn't on the list according to IMDB, but there is a Bob Arrollo that was a key makup artist, so I assume that's what that one is. Nice shout-out I thought

Also, I watched Grey's Anatomy right after this episode and thought it was kinda funny Amy Aquino (Dr. Janet Coburn) guest starred as a patient's wife...

i made my own avi! which is why it's not so great...
Old 10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred08 (View Post)
I looked up the names that are on the wall. Of course everyone would recognize Ross, Gallant, Barnett, etc, but there were 6 I didn't get. L(ydia) Woodward, N(eal) Baer, J(ack) Orman, S(cott) Gemmill and (Teresa) Salamunovich are all past executive or co-exec producers. B Arollo isn't on the list according to IMDB, but there is a Bob Arrollo that was a key makup artist, so I assume that's what that one is. Nice shout-out I thought
Lol, how clever. There's probably gonna be a lot of this sort of thing throughout the epis these season. We should keep an eye out for them - fun!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

This was a very good episode and I'm really liking this Season.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalwood (View Post)
Lol, how clever. There's probably gonna be a lot of this sort of thing throughout the epis these season. We should keep an eye out for them - fun!
I can't believed I missed the Barnett thing on the wall. I was too bust focusing on where they were putting abbys that i really did not notice any besides that. Who was Barnett next to?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 AM
Master Fan

Well, I sure as hell didn't think I'd ever cry for Abby, back when she first appeared in S6. But she slowly grew on me and her friendship with Neela helped a lot, which is why I hate that Neela didn't get to give her (second) best friend a proper goodbye. I know, Abby would've hated a long teary goodbye... but still.

I loved Morris in this ep. I thought it was brilliant how long it took him to understand what was up with Abby. Hehe.

The other brilliant thing was seeing Abby showing her love for the ER, for the hospital and for its people, by standing up for herself, for Sam and the kid. The wall thing was lovely and emotional but what got me, besides the Abby/Neela parts, was Abby's last talk with Sam. Because it was coming full circle, when you see all the things Abby went through since she began as a nurse.... It was a beautiful scene.

and yay for Luka coming back for his woman!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Elite Fan

I cried. For the first time since Mark died, I cried at ER. The Book of Abby was a beautiful ending to Abby's story, and if it weren't for knowing that several old faces will be returning over the course of the season, I don't know how I'd be able to look forward to the remaining episodes. Of course, I will still watch and probably enjoy them for the most part, but every other time a favourite character of mine left, there was another favourite to help keep me hooked. That is the case no longer.

Abby's rant at the disciplinary committee made me so happy. I know David Zabel wrote the episode, but that speech reeked of John Wells. The anger and disgust at the system for always screwing the ER and then blaming them for not doing well enough - that's classic Wells. And it was so perfect that Abby so staunchly defend the nurses, because that was where she got her start, and her move from nurse to doctor was one she really struggled with for a long time. "Nurses stick together."

Abby's dance with Frank - how sweet was that? So, so sweet.

Abby's interaction with Banfield was a lot of fun to see, and such a nice progression given how much trouble Abby used to have standing up to her superiors and taking control in a trauma.

Abby's goodbye with Neela was hard. The first time I got choked up was when Neela asked Abby about the rumour and proceeded to tell her that she was happy for her, but couldn't believe Abby wouldn't be working at the hospital anymore. Neela is now the most senior regular character, so it must be terrifying for her to lose the last of her original mentors/role models. There is still Dubenko, but Neela's looking out for him a lot more than he's looking out for her these days. I suppose Neela definitely needs what the spoilers section tells us she will be getting soon.

When Abby finally said goodbye to Neela from the observation deck, I lost it. Yes, they've been strained in the last year or so, but I still so clearly remember them starting out together as med students in the ER, getting through the NICU, being roommates, re-solidifying their bond at Abby's wedding, and everything else they have gone through together. Their friendship was obviously so important to them both, and I think the both of them know that their friendship will never be the way it was. Living in two different cities, working full-time as doctors in busy hospitals, they are bound to realise that staying constant in each other's lives might be something they are not able to do.

Abby's conversation with Morris in the trauma room was fantastic! I loved the throwback to when Abby (and the entire hospital) thought he was an incompetent moron in Season 10. Remember the helicopter crashed and Morris stood uselessly at the desk while the ER was in chaos hahaha? Morris has come so far, and at such a believable pace.

The wall of names... Christ, I had no chance of keeping it together when I saw all that. I didn't even care that some characters (like Chen) left in such a way that they wouldn't have cared whether their name badge was on the wall. It was just a very sweet, nostalgic moment that reminded me of how much of a family the ER still is. It just had to be Haleh there with Abby, you know? Abby was the heart of the show, but Haleh has always been the heart of the ER. Not always likeable (*cough*Season 3*cough*), but always dedicated to the job they do there everyday

And then the goodbye... I am so happy they played the music that played when Mark, and several others, left during Abby's last walk through the ER and out to the ambulance bay. I haven't heard it in a new episode in so long, and it was so moving. Gotta love Morris for not catching on to Abby's departure until the very last minute. You could tell how hard it was for him, but he really added a moment of humour to this difficult scene.

"It's been a great decade." - Damn bloody right. Abby came in on such a big episode (Carol's traumatic delivery) and she was nothing but calm, confident, and in control through the whole ordeal. Then to be brought in right before Lucy and Carter got stabbed, Abby never had the chance to fade into the background like so many of the influx of newbies in Season 6. And with her story with Sally Field stretching out through Season 7, is it any wonder the character made such a lasting, immediate impression on fans? I know there are plenty who never liked Abby all that much, but every audience member can admit that Abby was always contributing something. She was always doing something, and that constant presence and importance is why, for me, after Benton, Greene, Carter, and Weaver left, I could deal with it - because at least Abby was still there.

Abby was a legend. An absolute legend.

And yet, Maura Tierney is even more of one.

Thank you so much, Maura, for nearly 9 years of crafting this character into somebody who I think of as a friend. Sure, Abby's only a fictional creation, but the line that was used to promote the ER pilot - When you're in an ambulance, and you're scared, and you're hurt; when those ambulance doors open, these are the faces you want to see - that line came back to me so many times during Abby's tenure on the show. She is the face I would want to see.

So, Maura Tierney, John Wells, and to everybody else who worked on the story of Abby Lockhart: well done. And cheers.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

I really liked this epi!.. It was really touching and sad seeing Abbi go.. a great tribute to her character and what she brought to the show.
Loved the parts with her and Neela as well as the part with all the names on the wall of doctors that left, it was very touching! Reminds you of the Journey of ER and what it brought us.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady (View Post)
Who was Barnett next to?

(I don't know how to resize. I hope this is ok!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpySyd (View Post)
and yay for Luka coming back for his woman!
lol. yeah.

And nice summary irishghost.

i made my own avi! which is why it's not so great...