Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison (View Post)
Chapter 12 in the book is called "Kissing Katie Holmes", and the good majority of it is about...duh...DC and the decision to put PJ together (which he usually just describes as The Kiss wth? ). He states in the chapter that the show started going south as soon as Season 2 opened with DJ "yakking after their first kiss". Huh?! Pardon me, but I would argue that, while the show definitely went in a different direction during the course of Season 2, it really and truly started "going south" when Joey blamed Dawson for her dad's stupid mistake. He does mention how ridiculous it was to have Joey wear a wire in order to turn her dad into the Feds. I would have to agree that that was a little crazy. :crazy
Yes, Dawson's Creek didn't start going south in the season 2 and I can prove it

These were the ratings (by Nielsen):

Season 1 : 6.6 (millions of viewers)
Season 2 : 5.4 (millions of viewers)
Season 3 : 4.0 (millions of viewers)
Season 4 : 4.1 (millions of viewers)
Season 5 : 3.9 (millions of viewers)
Season 6 : 4.0 (millions of viewers)

Well, as you can see, seasons 1 and 2 had the highest ratings whereas, in the season 3, they weren't as much as before. There was, actually, a difference between season 1 and 2 but depended on the change of hour. In fact, the season 1 aired at 9.00pm whereas the season 2 (and all the followings) aired at 8.00pm.

Another proof (from the official site):

DESPERATE DAVE: Jase Man I'm begging u I asked u last week but u didn't respond man. Please my relationship depends on it. When was DC highest ratings? My g/f swears that P/J pulled the highest ratings and are the most popular couple but I say long live D/J. Who is right?

JASON: Hello Desperate Dave. I did a quick study of ratings from seasons past from Paul Stupin's archives and it would look like you have won the battle. From what I can decipher from the inscrutable process that is the ratings, it seems our highest rated show stands to be episode #101 "Dance." Followed closely by the D/J episode #112 "Decisions" which brought in close to 6 million viewers. The highest rated Joey/Pacey episode is #323 "True Love" which was watched by approximately 4 million viewers.

credit Dawson's Creek- ask Anna and Jason

For the record, Coda brought in close to 4,5 millions of viewers: better than "True Love"

Quote:
A few pages later, he mentions DawsonsCreek.com and says that staff members were actually hired to interact with the fans, in order to find out what they wanted to see happen on the show. Well, surprise surprise *shocked*...he says, "The wishes of viewers had a very strong impact on the direction of the series". Well, knock me over with a feather!!! You mean to tell me that the screaming and whining of a good portion of the fanbase actually had a hand in the debacle that was PJ? NO!!! I don't believe it.
Instead I believe that. Unfortunately Paul Stupin seemed to direct up the show according to the last internet poll.

MODERATOR: Thanks, Paul. NEM has a love triangle question....
NEM: Have the massive amounts of mail trying to influence what happens next season with regard to the love triangle surprised or affected you?

Paul_Stupin: Well, we love getting all the mail over here. It shows how excited our audience is. There are two camps as you know, one for Pacey-Joey, one for Dawson-Joey... So neither one has really swayed us, because the amount of mail has been pretty equal on both sides. However, Operation True Love just sent me this cool laminated poster showing different pictures of Pacey and Joey...And it's sitting right here on my desk!

credit Dawson's Creek -- Official site

Quote:
Let's see...a few pages later he's talking about how difficult the meetings to discuss what should happen on the show were during Season 3. They were honestly grasping at straws because they couldn't come up with anything interesting to pitch (shouldn't that have given the even higher-ups a clue to fire them and get NEW writers? Jeez.) Well, until some genius came up with the miserable triangle that everyone thought was just brilliant.
Do you like this?

The newborn Pacey and Joey's story was just like that In my country there's a proverb that says: "no matter how ugly a baby can be, he always looks beautiful to his mom"

Well, that new writing staff created the Pacey and Joey's story and so it's obvious to me that Jeffrey Stepakoff, Gina Fattore, Maggie Friedman etc. loved them more than Dawson and Joey.

Quote:
But he says that this writer named Alex would always be on the receiving end of calls from James complaining about the direction the show was taking - "Alex, not to be outdone...(blah blah blah)...forced to take a call from an increasingly freaking-out James Van Der Beek. Paul was on the verge of a heart attack." Well, cry me a freakin' river! I don't blame James for complaining. Not after what they did to his character...even before the dreaded triangle came into play. And Jeffrey actually admits this himself because he says that while they write the stupid words, it's the actors who have to say the stupid words, so they become forever associated with them (don't we know it). So I guess he couldn't really blame him for it either. He also said that they always had to run the scripts by James before they were given a final approval...he said they referred to this as "the James Pass". Well, I say good for James!! I would've probably done the same thing if I knew who was controlling the show's storylines. Ugh.

Let me see...I think that's it except for the more gossipy stuff that doesn't really make me feel like ranting. It's more like fluff. I can post that stuff on another thread...maybe the J/K thread?

So that's it. Not really a big deal, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Most of the book seems to be junk unless you're interested in becoming a TV writer, but the DC stuff is interesting for the most part.
Like I said in another thread, Dawson's Creek, in the seasons 1 and 2, was the hottest show on the WB television and so, when I've read that book (the chapters about DC), I didn't think who or what saved Dawson's in the season 3 but I asked to myself how did such a promising new show go south after the first two seasons. Well, I believe that the answer is simple: mismanagement

Edoardo
Old 04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

^^ I would have to agree with you, Edoardo. I'm still of the belief that if Kevin Williamson hadn't left, PJ never would've happened. Or Eve, or Jen becoming a cheerleader, or Jack joining the football team, etc...but we'll never really know.

Thanks for stopping by the thread!!!

avi: Beatriz
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Elite Fan

*prepares a pile of bricks*

*throws #1* at the authour of THOSE comments about James, Katie, Josh and Michelle, none of whom deserved such a bashing.

*throws a few extra for good measure*

*starts firing the rest of the bricks* at the insane psychos who most likely call themselves fans, brag about having hugged Rob Pattinson to everyone who won't punch them in the face, are proud of themselves because of: invading a person's personal space, disrupting a workday of an actor, making themselves look like lunatics and making a bad name for every other sane fan and admirer of Rob.

Only thing to say for both these things:

ღLeosღJeahღSterekღHobosღNewYorkersღPandasღSoulmatesღEverlarkღKlaineღ
Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Jen, I hear you and I felt the tremor of those bricks landing. Watch you don't hurt your back.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

My back's already destroyed so all this is just exercise... and it's either that or serious physical body harm to those people

Honestly, I want a time machine and get moved to a time where respect was more than a song title.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Jen, we have so many thoughts in common. I often wonder when certain things became "acceptable" or "the norm".
Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Elite Fan

So I'm not the only one who feels like I've been asleep for a couple of centuries and woke up to a completely different world than what I used to know?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Not at all.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Elite Fan

That kind of makes me feel less insane Thank you

Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Master Fan

when i type "dawson joey scene" into youtube the entire first page is filled with p/j clips

*throws many bricks*

Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

^^ Yeah. I stopped doing those kind of searches a long time ago.

*throws a brick for Kimberly*

avi: Beatriz
Old 08-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

*throws a full wall of bricks*

I haven't tried doing any searches like that. I usually only look at specific DJ things on youtube, normally a video of someone I subscribe to. Chances are when the person has uploaded the video they have put "Dawson" in the tag field.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It happens when you google Dawson and Joey too. All PJ links come up. Thankfully I dont search for DJ vids on YT anymore. Ive subscribed to almost every vid out there.

*throws a couple of bricks for Kimberly*
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

*throws a few extra bricks for good measure* I've tried looking for James pics and some of the results were PJ

Old 08-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Master Fan

I did a big cleaning of my folders on my laptop the other day. Then today I went to look for a d/j pic that i had saved in a folder with many many other dj caps and some of my recent arts/icons. I must have accidentally deleted the folder because it's not there anymore and nothing comes up when i search for it (i also emptied the recycling bin the day i went "delete happy") *throws bricks*