Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Tennis #21: B/C We wish that Brad Gilbert would STFU!

WELCOME TO THE 21st TENNIS TALK THREAD
This is one of FF`s santuaries to discuss all things about tennis. The others are the Roger Federer thread, the Rafael Nadal thread, the Maria Sharapova thread, the Novak Djokovic thread and the Andy Roddick Thread.
Everyone is welcome here as long as you keep the discussions PG-13 (let's not get too graphic talking tennis players you find attractive) & in a mature fashion(i.e. no bashing of other posters).
+ CURRENT EVENTS +

+ TOURS +

ATP Tennis.com
Sony Ericsson WTA Tour official site

+ TEAM EVENTS +

Davis Cup.com
Fed Cup.com

+ GRAND SLAMS +

Australian Open
French Open
Wimbledon
US Open

+ PLAYER'S OFFICIAL SITES +

Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
Novak Djokovic
Andy Roddick
James Blake
Richard Gasquet
Marat Safin
Andy Murray
Stan Wawrinka
Feliciano Lopez
Sam Querrey
John Isner
Mardy Fish
Fernando Verdasco
Bob and Mike Bryan
Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin
Ana Ivanovic
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Jelena Jankovic
Dinara Safina
Amelie Mauresmo
Kim Clijsters
Caroline Wozniacki

+ TENNIS SHOPPING +

Tennis Warehouse.com

+ TENNIS FAN CLUB +

1. Hot Rod
2. -Bianca-
3. *Catherine*
4. wingster
5. NikNak
6. DUHsoTK
7. Motoko Ayoama
8. -Chemical Wonder-
9. Sparkling_Diamond
10. *Juju*
11. naleyforever
12. Kitty_Fantastico
13. Logan lover DK
14. SmilinStar
15. Avatar
16. 4brathan&brucas
17. lovder&mer
18. troubled.discussions
19. myys_PL
20. christallh24
21. Dutchiegirl

Last edited by Hot Rod; 07-11-2010 at 06:10 PM
Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Master Fan

Funny title. Whats he been saying now?

I havent been to this board in ages, it seems. I still follow my guys I just got busy and couldnt post alot ....Must find the RF thread and keep it alive

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA
Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome back Catherine. I`m so glad to see you back here after a long time away. Hopefully we`ll get to see you back here regularly again. As for the title, it`s something that came up in my mind, dreading two weeks of Brad Gilbert and his neverending annoyance. Thankfully i have the French Open mix on DirecTV so that i won`t have to watch Brad all that much in the first week.

Here is an update on today`s matches at Roland Garros.

First of all, former champions Rafa and Justine Henin begin their quests to recapture the French Open and they didn`t have much trouble as they won their matches in straight sets.

Maria also didn`t have much trouble in her first round match.

Andy Roddick had a much tougher first round match against veteran Jarkko Nieminen, but came out with 6-2, 4-6, 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-3 win.

Another member of Team USA made it to the second round as Robby Ginepri defeated Sam 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-4, 6-2. Nice to see Robby getting a win on the dreaded red clay at RG. As for Sam, he said in his post match press conference that he is burned out on playing that dreadful red clay and has pulled out of doubles where he was scheduled to play with John. Also Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Carlos Ferrero, David Ferrer and Fernando Verdasco won their matches in straight sets.

Finally veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm, who returned to the tour a couple of years ago after being retired for 12 years, upset Dinara Safina 3-6, 6-4, 7-5.

Good win there for Kimiko, who not only became the second oldest woman to win a match at RG, but also won her first match there since 1996.

As for Dinara,

the downward spiral continues as she goes from making it to the finals in the previous 2 years to being out in the first round.

So that`s the story on today`s matches at the French Open. The second round gets underway tomorrow with Fed, Jo-Wilfried, Venus Williams, Robin Soderling, Stan, Marcos, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Caroline Wozniacki headlining the action. Also we`ll have an intrigue matchup as Andy Murray will take on Juan Ignacio Chela. Andy came back from down two sets to outlast Richie in his first round match, but could be in for another tough match against the tough veteran Chela.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Elite Fan

So much rain today, such a shame. Happy about Murray and Roddick getting through.

Vicky
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah the rain greatly hampered play at Roland Garros today with a lot of matches being suspended due to darkness and pushed back until tomorrow.

I especially didn`t like how it made the courts so slow, which made watching today`s matches a lot less bearable to watch.

Since you mentioned the Andys, they had some trouble in their matches, but managed to win them in four sets.

Also John fought through the damp conditions by defeating Marco Chiudinelli 6-7(3), 7-6(3), 7-6(7), 6-4.

Good win for John. I`m very pleased that he had 38 aces in the damp conditions.

Unfortunately, at least for me, Ana was routed by Alisa Kleybanova.

What a dismal performance from Ana. It`s hard to believe that she has gone from winning the ladies title to being routed in the second round in such a short time.

So that`s the story on today`s matches at a rainy Roland Garros. Tomorrow will have a lot of the top stars in action with Fed, Rafa Nole, Jo-Wilfried, the Williams sisters, Maria, Justine Henin and Caroline Wozniacki. Also we`ll have a couple of intriguing looking matches as Andy Murray will take on Marcos and Robin Soderling will face Albert Montanes. Hopefully we`ll get plenty of good tennis tomorrow.

Last edited by Hot Rod; 05-27-2010 at 10:28 PM
Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for the new thread and latest updates/pics.

Welcome back, Catherine! Good to see you back here with us at the tennis thread.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Obsessed Fan

New tennis nut here. I was at RG from Sun-Wed. First days it was sooooooooooo hot there, and then Thurs was so rainy - although it wasn't cold.

I have lots of fave players. I am actually more into womens tennis than mens (I think because pretty much every other sport I watch the men).

"Stop or I'll kick you in the testicles!"

DESCHANEL FAN
Old 05-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

You`re welcome.

Here is an update on today`s matches at Roland Garros.

First of all, Maria and Justine Henin completed their second round matches that were suspended yesterday and they both defeated Kirsten Flipkens and Klara Zakopalova respectively 6-3, 6-3.

Andy Murray had some trouble in his match against Marcos, but came out with a 6-2, 6-3, 0-6, 6-2 win.

Also Fed, Rafa, Nole, the Williams sisters, Stan and Caroline Wozniacki won their matches in straight sets.

We`ll have a new women single champion as Maria Kirilenko upset Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.

Finally Team USA`S hope on the men`s side in RG took a big hit as John was routed by Tomas Berdych and Mardy was defeated by Ivan Ljubicic. John was no much for Berdych, while Mardy had a very tough loss to Ljubby, losing the fifth set 8-10. Now Andy Roddick and Robby Ginepri are the only American men left in singles at RG.

So that`s the story on today`s matches. Tomorrow the third round in singles will get underway. In the marquee match, Maria will take on Justine Henin. Obviously this is going to be a very tough match for Maria. Also Rafa will face Lleyton Hewitt, while Nole, Andy Roddick, Serena Williams and the Bryan Brothers will also be in action.

Lastly here is a very rare video of Killer Cahill beating Brad Gilbert to win the title in San Francisco back in 1991.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Obsessed Fan

Meh...womens draw getting less and less interesting for me. Still some interest in the mens at least.

DESCHANEL FAN
Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome to the thread Sarah. Glad that you decided to join the fun here. Hopefully you`ll be posting here regularly.

Here is an update on today`s matches at the French Open.

First of all, Rafa and Lleyton Hewitt played each other once again at RG and the story was the same as Rafa came out with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 win.

Lleyton put up a valiant effort, but it still wasn`t enough against Rafa.

Nole and Serena Williams had some trouble in their matches, but came out with wins in four and three sets respectively.

Also it was a very dismal day for the American men as Andy Roddick was upset by Teimuraz Gabashvili in straight sets.

What a disappointing performance from Andy, who once again looked very clueless on the dreadful red clay. Plus i didn`t like how childish he acted throughout the match.

If Andy losing wasn`t bad enough, the Bryan Brothers` quest to broke the Woodies` record for most doubles titles among the men had a setback as they were upset by the Brazilian team of Marcelo Melo and Bruno Soares in straight sets. Tough loss there for Bob and Mike. They had double set point in the second set, but were unable to convert on either of them and from then onward it was all downhill for them.

However all wasn`t loss for Team USA as Robby Ginepri upset former champion Juan Carlos Ferrero 7-5, 6-3, 3-6, 2-6, 6-4.

Good win for Robby. He showed a lot of poise after blowing a two set lead and pulling out a tough fifth set to clinch the match. This is obviously a big win for him and a reversal of fortune with an American beating a Spaniard on red clay.

Lastly Maria and Justine Henin played each other in the marquee match of the day where Henin won the first set 6-2 and then Maria won the second set 6-3 when play was suspended due to darkness.

So that`s the story on today`s matches at Roland Garros. Tomorrow the Maria-Justine Henin match will be completed early in the afternoon session. Also Fed will take on Stan, Jo-Wilfried will face Misha, Robin Soderling will take on Marin Cilic and Andy Murray will face Tomas Berdych.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for all the pictures

Great win for Rafa Shame about Andy Roddick, but he didn't have the best preparation going into the tournament.

Vicky
Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

damn Nadal...but at least Stosur won.

Too bad Andy lost...Berdych better win tomorrow (and they damn well better televise that match here!!!) and yay Nole!

DESCHANEL FAN
Old 05-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

You`re very welcome. Glad that y`all like the pics.

I`m sure there is a chance the Murray-Berdych match will be televised, especially with it being played on Suzanne Lenglen.

Also i forgot to ask you this question earlier Sarah, which is would like to be a member of the FF Tennis Club? We`re always on the lookout for new members. Lastly here are a couple of pics of Samantha Stosur for you.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

Oh sure, I'll be a member of the tennis club.

I'm watching Sharapova-Henin at the moment. I really hope they will show Berdych-Murray. I didn;t get to see Tomas when I was at RG because both times his match was on at the same time as his gf (Lucie Safarova) and I preferred to watch her matches.

DESCHANEL FAN
Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I`ve just added you to the list Sarah. Glad to have you aboard in the club.

I`m sure you`re very happy that Tomas Berdych upset Andy Murray 6-4, 7-5, 6-3.

What a great win for Tomas, who gets himself his second win over one of the Big 4 this year.

Unfortunately the news wasn`t so good for a couple of my favorites in RG today.

First Maria had a tough loss to Justine Henin.

She really missed out on some great opportunities in the third set, especially when she was up 2-0, 0-40.

If Maria losing wasn`t bad enough, Jo-Wilfried had to retire in his match against Misha after losing the first set due to a leg injury.

What a disappointing end for Jo-Wilfried, which ends what has been a disappointing showing for the French Connection in singles.

However all wasn`t lost for me as Caroline Wozniacki defeated Flavia Pennetta 7-6(5), 6-7(4), 6-2.

What a good win for Caroline. She showed a lot of fight and resolve in playing such a tough match.

Also Fed defeated Stan 6-3, 7-6(5), 6-2;

Robin Soderling defeated Marin Cilic 6-4, 6-4, 6-2

and Nadia Petrova upset Venus Williams 6-4, 6-3

So that`s the story on today`s matches at Roland Garros. Tomorrow Rafa will take on Thomaz Bellucci, Nole will face Robby Ginepri, Fernando Verdasco will play Nicholas Almagro, Serena Williams will take on Shahar Peer and Justine Henin will face Samantha Stosur.

BTW i`m really getting sick of looking all that damn clay even more than ever, especially after Maria`s tough loss, A-Rod`s dismal performance and the Bryan Brothers` loss yesterday and Jo-Wilfried`s being forced to retire today. If it wasn`t for Nole and Caroline still being around and the prospects of another Rafa-Fed final, i likely wouldn`t even be watching the French Open. I`m so ready to see the tour back on the beautiful grass courts.

Last edited by Hot Rod; 05-30-2010 at 01:57 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread