Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Total Fan

Zito's looks like Paul Bunyan with that beard.

I don't like to make predictions, but if the A's take today's game, Boston is probably toast. They'll win the prerequisite home game, maybe against Lilly, but otherwise...their pitching and defense is no match for the A's. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Kinda sad for everyone hoping it'd be Boston's year.

[ 10-02-2003: Message edited Neon x Stars ]
Old 10-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR:
<STRONG>I don't like Javy's personality but I like everything else [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] Does that count?? J/K He's fine but he needs to come down.
</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I like everything else too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Even though I like Javy, I understand why people are angry with what he said about the Cubs. He usually doesn't talk smack like that but I definitely think it was uncalled for.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Elite Fan

Def. I was very surprised to find the words came out of his mouth. Maybe Post season excitment [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The game at Fenway will be...electrifying!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Total Fan

Javy Lopez has always come off as a nice guy to me, I think if he said what he said, he didn't mean it that way or it was taken out of context. Probably chopped up to sound more threatening. Sports reporters are full of sheet.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Btw, Joe Morgan and Jon Miller are terrible! The former is as pompous and self-righteous as can be, and these two couldn’t even tell the difference between Grudzielanek and Alou early in the game. That’s just sad. They kept blaming Alou for making a base running error, when he hadn’t even come up to bat yet!
I agree...Miller/Morgan are terrible. And yeah, why can't ESPN get good broadcasters?? As a rule former players usually aren't the best broadcasters. There are a few execptions. But it seems like most of them just talk on and on about their playing career and what it was like when they played instead of the game that's on. That being said, I do like Tony Gwynn's comments about hitters when he does ESPN games.

Zito looked really good yesterday. I just saw the hilights, but his curveball looked unhittable. Boston is obviously up against a wall. Looks like we won't be seeing a Cubs-Red Sox series... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle that you've made it. -Tonight, Not Again
DobblersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Neon x Stars:
<STRONG>Zito's looks like Paul Bunyan with that beard.

I don't like to make predictions, but if the A's take today's game, Boston is probably toast. They'll win the prerequisite home game, maybe against Lilly, but otherwise...their pitching and defense is no match for the A's. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Kinda sad for everyone hoping it'd be Boston's year.
</STRONG>
It's terrible, because if it weren't for my love of the A's, I'd want to see the curse lifted. But let's face it, I'd rather see my boys carry through, especially since they've been limping through this season.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Total Fan

Hehe, and the perennial chokers find a way to choke yet again. Good game, though.

Btw, if Jose Cruz Jr. comes back dawning a Giants uniform next year, I'll be very, very surprised.

[ 10-03-2003: Message edited Neon x Stars ]
Old 10-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Elite Fan

Cubs just won. A gem by Prior. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Total Fan

Definitely. Nothing phases that guy. He looked as poised as ever.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Master Fan

CUBS WIN!!! CUBS WIN!!! CUBS WIN!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Prior lacked his usual control tonight, but still managed to give up only two hits to the Braves. I’m lovin’ it! Watching Atlanta make error after error was a big help, too. They have played horrible defensively throughout the series. Hey, we’ll take it! I was glad to see Dusty let Cy Prior pitch the 9th, since Borowski is more prone to give up the long ball.

Come on, Cubs! One more win. Clement faces a tough task going up against Ortiz tomorrow, but I think he’s primed to get the job done. I certainly hope so. The thought of this series going back to Atlanta makes me nervous.

I’ve always hated that damn Tomahawk chop, so I’m glad to see Cubs fans mocking it! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Neon- I feel your pain. Cruz’s gaffe had shades of Brant Brown’s costly drop back in ‘98 written all over it. That’s tough to swallow. Hopefully, Schmidty will come through with another big pitching performance tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Elite Fan

you know what sucks, Prior will get the Cy based on playoff performance, just like friggin Kirk Gibson.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it, just not as much as Gagne.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:16 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Chi said:
Hopefully, Schmidty will come through with another big pitching performance tomorrow.
Heh. I looked up the stats for pitchers who've started postseason games on three days rest (since 1999) and...they are not good. (understatement) Schmidty's never pitched on three days rest in his entire career. He's a good pitcher, but he's not superman. LOL.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we tossed away the series today. Whatta ya gonna do, right? It's been a great year, regardless. If the Marlins win, I'll be rooting for them to go all the way. And in the AL, probably the Twins. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-04-2003: Message edited Neon x Stars ]
Old 10-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

If that's true, hopefully the same will apply to Russ Ortiz. He's also going on three days rest. As for the Giants, today's loss was a killer. But, who knows? Maybe they will be able to pull it off tomorrow and win Game 5 in San Francisco. Their chances aren't good, but Dontrelle Willis can be hit.

Chris- I doubt Prior's postseason numbers will garner him Cy Young votes. I still think Gagne will win it, with Schmidt and Prior trailing behind.

One game away. Let's go Clement! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

For those of you familiar with Clement's goatee.

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Total Fan

Oh, wow...the Braves are going with a 3-man-rotation? I did not know that. Historically, those are a bad idea.

Heh! Clement's goatee looks like...well, it's interesting.

I think it will depend on which Clement shows up...the completely unhittable, quasi-Cy Clement or the erratic one. But with the performances of Wood, Prior (and even Zambrano) to guide him, there's a good chance the right Clement will make an appearance. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 12:35 AM
Master Fan

Yep, it sounds like Cox is desperate. He's going with Ortiz, Hampton and Maddux this series. That's it. I hope it has some effect on Ortiz tomorrow.

About Clement, I agree. I’m kind of nervous about him pitching tomorrow. With him, it’s either really good or really bad. There’s rarely an in-between. I was kind of hoping that Dusty would start Wood tomorrow, but I guess he has faith in Clement. If he’s able to pitch like he did last weekend, the Cubs won’t have to make another trip to Atlanta this year. That would be sweet!

[ 10-04-2003: Message edited Chi159 ]