Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 03:05 AM
Moderator Manager

i haven't been online much so i need some catching up to do. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

marie: i dunno if you'll be able to read this. probably not. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] but the peeps from couples OT are looking for you and i just found out now that you're on a holiday. anyway, have fun and see you soon! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

hitzi: a formula one ad? on tv or the newspaper? i can't wait either! [img]smilies/hotpinkie.gif[/img]

jens: thanks for posting all those news! at least we have you when marie's not around. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

bel: i always look forward to the melbourne GP, its super exciting! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

fla: how many more weeks until i change my av? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet. ✨

Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ²Jens:
<STRONG>

Yeah, Montoya and Kimi in one team?! I'm not sure If this goes well! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Yeah. I don't want it. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] But then we can draw a comparison between Montoya and Kimi for real.

Thanks for posting the news. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Xi Men:
<STRONG>

hitzi: a formula one ad? on tv or the newspaper? i can't wait either! [img]smilies/hotpinkie.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
On TV. And they keep showing it more and more. Whee! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I could actually get loads of F1 if I just payed a little for the channel, but... where's the time for watching F1 every day 24/7? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Hi Hitzi and Lindsay [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

Thanks you two!

Hitzi: I will visit this summer the Nordkapp and drive through the whole Scandinavia. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Loyal Fan

RENAULT HEADS TO IMOLA
For a three-day test [17/02/04 - 09:08]

The Mild Seven Renault F1 Team is preparing for a three-day test this week at one of the toughest circuits on the calendar.

Pre-season testing at Imola hasn’t been ‘fashionable’ for a number of years, but the Italian circuit poses some unique challenges: not only is it similar to Melbourne in its stop-start nature, with medium- length straights punctuated by chicanes, but it also gives the cars one of their toughest challenges of the year: between 2001 and 2003, only Canada featured a higher percentage of mechanical retirements than Imola, with engines and transmission put through a particularly severe workout. Just the place for checking pre-season reliability ahead of departing for Melbourne...

On the chassis side, the coming test will mark the first time that the team has run two R24’s side by side. Chassis 02 was completed ten days ago at Enstone and will make its track debut this week. The presence of the new car also means race drivers Jarno Trulli and Fernando Alonso will attend, with both looking to further improve their knowledge of the R24, and continue the progress of recent weeks.

As for the RS24 engine, Imola will see the introduction of the ‘A’ spec that will race in Melbourne. Last week at Jerez, the team reached maximum mileage with two units of the preceding ‘Z’ specification, and this week will provide the opportunity to confirm the dyno results on track. On Wednesday and Thursday, the focus will be on completing race distances with both cars, while the rest of the programme will focus on general set-up work with the new car, and tyre testing for the opening races of the season. A busy week awaits.

WILLIAMS WANT WEBBER
'We've always thought Mark was very good' [17/02/04 - 10:08]

BMW-Williams' bosses are raving about Australian F1 ace Mark Webber.

The Grove-based Formula One team is on the look-out for a new driver after Juan Pablo Montoya recently confirmed his switch to rivals McLaren for 2005.

'We've always thought Mark was very good,' said Frank Williams.

Patrick Head, team technical director, added of the 27-year-old currently under-contract to Jaguar: 'It's fair to say that we rate Mark very highly.'

Webber also has links to top-team Renault through agent Flavio Briatore.

Head sees the Queanbeyan-born challenger, Webber, as a bit like Nigel Mansell, Williams' world champion of 1992 - 'a great charger,' said the Englishman.

OBLITERATED TEAM-MATE PIZZONIA

Frank Williams continues: 'In Austria last year, Mark did the fastest lap of the race on the final lap, even though he was running in something like eighth.'

Webber obliterated Williams' new tester Antonio Pizzonia as a team- mate in 2003.

'If he's the best part of a second quicker than Antonio, who was as fast as our race drivers in testing,' Head mused, 'then Mark must be pretty damn good.'

Head also lauded Webber's commitment and fitness. 'He drove some pretty good races last year. He's very committed and one of the fittest guys out there.'

Sources report that Webber has a crucial clause in his new two-year deal that would annul the contract if Jaguar does not hit certain performance targets.

BUTTON SWEARS PRE-SEASON PACE IS REAL
'...our step is even bigger than I personally anticipated' [17/02/04 - 10:11]

BAR is not artificially flattering its pre-season test pace by deliberately running on low levels of fuel, according to team driver Jenson Button.

Sources in the Honda-powered outfit's F1 rivals reckon the Briton has also steered to steadily better lap-times by emphasising soft-rubber qualifying runs.

Button, 24, said the new 006 challenger is just as radical as top- team rival BMW-Williams' FW26 even if it does not boast an innovative 'tusked' front nose.

'That's just bodywork you see with the Williams,' he explained.

OTHER TEAMS ARE TRAILING

The Englishman declined to comment on the 'low fuel / soft tyres' observation but insisted that his Brackley-based factory has made big gains for 2004.

'I think our step is even bigger than I personally anticipated,' said Button. 'Or maybe the other teams haven't made such a big step - I don't know.'

But he flatly denied that McLaren might be 'sandbagging' - or deliberately failing to turn in fast winter times - in a bid to hide their true potential.

'I don't know,' said Jenson. 'I would doubt that a team like that would not test in the correct format. No-one wants to drive around slowly on purpose.'

RADIO-ROW DIDN'T TRIGGER SWITCH
Claims Juan Pablo Montoya [17/02/04 - 10:17]

A pre-season spat is shaping-up between BMW-Williams and defecting team driver Juan Pablo Montoya in the handful of days before the looming Australian GP.

Technical boss Patrick Head told the press-ranks last week that the Colombian ace had decided to switch to McLaren in 2005 after a radio- row in Magny-Cours.

'I think [he] was not impressed at having his knuckles rapped,' he said, 'and ... the decision to sign with McLaren was taken within a few days of that.'

Passionately-driven Montoya, 28, says that explanation is rubbish.

LOTS OF THINGS TRIGGERED SWITCH

'No,' the Bogota-born cruiser told us. 'It wasn't like that, just like that. I was angry but that's not why I'm leaving. It's a lot of things, really.'

Montoya said the decision to switch ranks could more accurately be put down to a kind of 'gut' feeling that his dreams can be achieved at Ron Dennis' operation.

'What I got out of Williams has been fantastic,' he continued. 'Frank (Williams) has been really good to me. Everybody has treated me really well.'

Juan reckons a change of scene, pure and simple, might extract more potential.

'I think that just by going to a different team, to experience different people, to work with new people, I can develop even further ... I really believe that.'

WILLIAMS COOL GEARBOX-GREMLIN FEARS
'...we're making progress towards solving them' [17/02/04 - 11:31]

BMW-Williams has downplayed the severity of a reported pre-season technical glitch on its all-new FW26 racer's seven-speed gearbox and differential.

'We did experience some minor problems,' chief operations engineer Sam Michael confirmed after last week's five-day test at Jerez de la Frontera (Spain).

He said: 'But we think we're making progress towards solving them.'

Grove's chassis team, for the first time since the BMW-collaboration started in 2000, worked closely with the German carmaker on the new gearbox / drive-train.

It is more compact, to compliment better aerodynamics, and to make best use of new long-life engine regulations, it boasts seven speeds as opposed to six.

NEW PARTS FOR VALENCIA

Michael said the performance of FW26 is 'getting better' and revealed that a new range of parts will be fitted to the car in-time for this week's Valencia test.

The new parts are designed to 'run in Australia,' the young engineer confirmed.

After a five-day Jerez test, Williams has already selected one Michelin tyre-choice for Albert Park and the second will be finalised later this week.

The Oxfordshire-based team gets running again in Spain on Wednesday.

MOSLEY DETESTS F1's TYRE-WAR
'No tyres for testing' [17/02/04 - 11:39]

Max Mosley detests Formula One's raging 'Bridgestone versus Michelin' tyre-war.

The FIA president wants to see just one supplier of the four-black- round-things but not only to prevent Michael Schumacher from being lapped in Budapest.

Mosley, the 64-year-old Briton, thinks his plan would also cut costs and make it easier for back-of-the-grid teams to compete with their grandee F1-rivals.

'The greatest controllable waste of money in F1 is testing,' he told Autosport.

TESTING IS WASTE OF MONEY

Max said if there was only one tyre-supplier, the governing-FIA could simply introduce a new sporting regulation that reads: 'No tyres for testing.'

'And that would be the end of it,' Mosley added.

F1 team boss Sir Frank Williams told this publication yesterday that the single biggest obstacle to reducing the quantity of testing was Scuderia Ferrari.

'It fights for it,' he said, 'because it has a track right outside its factory.'

But moves are foot, despite the objection of F1's world champions, to curb the proliferation of track-testing which Bernie Ecclestone brands as 'crazy.'

Said the F1-supremo: '[Some teams] take 100 people to private testing.'
Old 02-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Loyal Fan

JAGUAR ANNOUNCE NEW OFFICIAL TEST DRIVER
Bjorn Wirdheim gets the job [17/02/04 - 12:21]

Jaguar Racing has today announced that Swedish driver Bjorn Wirdheim has signed to join the team as official test driver and 1st reserve driver.

Bjorn successfully completed a series of tests with the team and has immediately started work in his new role in preparation for the forthcoming Melbourne Grand Prix.

Speaking from Sweden, Bjorn said: “I am delighted to be joining Jaguar Racing in my new role and look forward to helping the team in achieving its goals this season. There are some really good people in the team and I have settled in quite quickly. There is a lot of work ahead but I am excited about this and look forward to contributing to the continued development of the R5”.

Managing Director, David Pitchforth added; “I am pleased to be able to welcome Bjorn to the team at this time and I know that he will be a great asset in the team moving forward. We have all been working incredibly hard on the R5 and the added benefit of a third driver will be a great help both to the development team and of course to our drivers Mark Webber and Christian Klien”.

Bjorn Wirdheim Biography
Nationality: Swedish
Date of Birth: 04-04-80
Lives: Vaxjo, Sweden
Weight: 75Kg
1990 - 1995 Karting - 1st, 2nd & 3rd Places in the Southern Swedish Championship.
1996 Swedish Formula Ford 1600 with Team Itchi Ban - 3rd in Junior Championship.
1997 Swedish Formula Ford 1600 with Team Brorssons - 17 wins - Champion.
1999 Formula Palmer Audi - 2 Podiums.
2000 Formula 3 - German Championship with Team Ghinzani - 1 Podium.
2001 Formula 3 - German Championship with Prema Powerteam. 2 wins - pole position at Macau Grand Prix.
2002 FIA 3000 - Arden International – 1 win (Monza) & 2 second positions (Austria and Hockenheim) 4th position in Championship and highest placed Rookie.
2003 FIA 3000 – Arden International – Champion 3 wins and 6 second positions

WILLIAMS ROAST SCHUMACHER
'Ralf must get his head around limiting the damage' [17/02/04 - 12:39]

Ralf Schumacher should up his game at grands prix meetings before asking for huge additions to his annual retainer, according to BMW- Williams bosses.

Talks over a new race-agreement for the German have stalled because Ralf, 28, is asking for $24.5 million per season after his contract expires late in 2004.

According to technical whiz Patrick Head, Schumacher is actually not very good at 'turning it around' if he arrives at a circuit with a badly-tuned F1 car.

He said: 'Ralf must get his head around limiting the damage.

NEEDS POSITIVE ATTITUDE

'If the car isn't optimum for the track, [he] needs to immediately switch into the mode of saying: 'How can I do the least damage to my championship?

'He's got to have positive attitude to it.'

Sir Frank Williams recalled that at some races last season - notably Japan and Hungary - Ralf was on-fire and would 'pass people as if they weren't there.'

But Schumi Junior is also 'funny,' according to the Grove-based team owner.

'I guess he's not aggressive enough sometimes,' principal Williams mused. 'But it's easy to be critical. He's fearsomely quick in the right circumstances.'

MINARDI VOTE FOR RELIABILITY OVER POWER
'We had a [different] way and went for more reliability' [17/02/04 - 13:01]

Paul Stoddart has deliberately robbed new Minardi steerers Gianmaria Bruni and Zsolt Baumgartner of about twenty-horsepower on their new Cosworth V10 engine.

The Faenza-based chief said his decision, based also on certain 'financial considerations,' was made in the interest of boosting car-reliability.

Stoddart, who is a customer of the Cosworth Racing operation, confirmed in Budapest that he was offered the same-spec 2004 engines as Jaguar and Jordan.

'Many people noticed that Jordan had a lot of engine failures last year, but we had only one for the whole season,' said the 48-year-old Australian.

'We had a [different] way and went for more reliability,' he confirmed.

HOPES FOR EARLY POINTS

Stoddart said he was hoping to pounce on one or two early-season engine dramas of the bigger teams and snatch a few championship- points for Minardi.

He added that a better team-budget in 2004 will allow more money to be put into areas including research and development, track-testing and wind-tunnel work.

'All the things we didn't do a lot of last year,' Paul noted. 'We believe we have a nicely balanced budget this year to put money where need to put it.'

Stoddart said Jordan would be the 'natural' closest-rival of Minardi in 2004.

BUTTON PREDICTS FIVE-WAY F1 BATTLE
'...it's going to be very competitive' [17/02/04 - 13:33]

Jenson Button is predicting a five-way battle for victory in 2004.

The 24-year-old driver, perhaps the most-impressive pre-season performer with his new BAR-Honda, said he had never seen a more competitive situation in F1.

'There are going to be a lot of teams winning races this year,' the Englishman forecast. 'I think it will be a very exciting first race.

'Looking at testing, it's going to be very competitive.'

He said Brackley-based BAR - with its 006 car - has joined Ferrari, BMW-Williams, McLaren and Renault in a 'top-five' of teams capable of winning races.

BAR IS UNDER PRESSURE IN 2004

'And I think all 10 [of those] drivers can win races.'

Button is basing his prophecy on the results of pre-season winter testing even if BAR has been accused of running low-fuel and soft- tyres to veil true pace.

Sources confirm that of the ten grand prix teams, BAR is perhaps under the most pressure as it stares-down its sixth season in the sport without a race-victory.

Furthermore, engine-partner Honda will review its mere participation in the series later this year when a five-year agreement with Brackley comes to an end.

'All the top-five teams have been very close,' Button promised.

'It's very unusual for winter testing.'

WILLIAMS WILL LOOK AFTER MONTOYA
'He'll get the latest developments' [17/02/04 - 14:14]

Less than three weeks until the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, Formula One team principal Sir Frank Williams is a 'worried' man.

What about? Just how strong the opposition in 2004 might be, of course.

'You never know,' he told the Sunday Telegraph. 'Teams have been known to conceal their pace in testing and you never get the picture until the races.'

According to Williams, his team will be a leading competitor this season.

But some are questioning the amount of effort Juan Pablo Montoya will be putting into his final stint at the team before switching to McLaren ahead of 2005.

Technical chief Patrick Head agrees that it might be an issue.

'If he's not in contention [for the title], maybe. But in truth the most difficult area will be marketing. I don't think we'll have a problem on track.'

COLOMBIAN WON'T KNOW SECRETS

Williams confirmed that Montoya will get frozen-out of late-season development.

'Obviously,' said the Briton, 'he won't get to see what we're looking at for the future, but he'll get the latest developments. He just won't know why ... '

Team-mate Ralf Schumacher backed-up his bosses claims that both drivers are needed in Grove's search for its first world championships since 1997.

'There's no reason to not look after Juan as good as they do after me,' he said.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Loyal Fan

ANOTHER CHAMPION'S SON EYES F1
Mathias Lauda takes another step towards F1 [17/02/04 - 15:19]

Another son-of-a-world-champion is moving closer to Formula One.

Austrian Mathias Lauda, whose father is triple world champion Niki, will step-up from the World Series Lights series to F1 support- category F3000 in 2004.

'The move [to Coloni] is a very good one for me,' said the youngster.

NOT WORRIED ABOUT STEP

'I'm not worried that it's a big step up because I've already driven a few tests and also drove the V6 Nissan car which has a similar performance.'

Lauda's first test-session will shortly take place at Jerez (Spain).

Nelson Piquet's similarly-named teenage son recently tested a BMW- Williams F1 car as did 1982 world champion Keke Rosberg's seventeen- year-old lad Nico.

AUSSIE ACCENTS AT ALBERT PARK
Plenty of Australians in the F1 paddock [17/02/04 - 15:27]

Take a stroll in the paddock at Albert Park next month, and you'll notice a lot more Australian accents than that of Queanbeyan-born Jaguar star Mark Webber.

Paul Stoddart, born not far away from Melbourne (Coburg), introduced the 27-year-old racer to the field in 2002 for his back-of-the-grid team Minardi.

22-year-old test-driver Ryan Briscoe, who grew up in a Sydney suburb, is under long-term contract to Toyota Racing and has confirmed his flight 'Down Under'.

On the pitwall, West Australian Sam Michael is one of the upcoming names in the pinnacle of motor sport and is chief operations engineer at BMW-Williams.

ONLY SAUBER HAS NO AUSSIES

Bendigo-boy Chris Dyer, a Victorian like Stoddart, helps Michael Schumacher tune his title-winning car as chief race engineer on the German's side at Ferrari.

Mike Negline is a lesser-known hero but he is team co-ordinator at McLaren; he grew up in capital city Melbourne and served an apprenticeship as a mechanic.

Sydneysider Malcolm Oastler was fired by BAR a few years ago but you can now find him chatting with Mark Webber as a chief engineer at Jaguar Racing.

Melbourne's Willem Toet is a lauded aerodynamicist at Brackley-based BAR.

JORDAN TO KEEP BUILDING OWN F1 CAR
'I must remain master of my own destiny' [17/02/04 - 15:40]

Eddie Jordan has vowed to keep-on building his own Formula One cars.

A new regulation, tipped to get the go-ahead in coming months, would sanction the sale of complete-cars from manufacturer-backed teams to their lesser rivals.

'We don't mind,' said Frank Williams of the touted cost-cutting measure.

But EJ reckons 'doing a deal' with a bigger team compromises independence.

'Much as I would love to do a deal with [McLaren's] Ron Dennis, or whoever,' the Irishman told F1 Racing magazine, 'I must remain master of my own destiny.'

SAUBER HAS SOLD INDEPENDENCE

Jordan said Dennis builds 'very good' racing cars.

But he hints that, for example, Peter Sauber may have given up his chance of winning F1 races by launching the 2003 Ferrari-clone C23 ahead of this season.

'I admire him as one of the finest men in F1,' Jordan told the publication.

'But I wonder if he would ever be allowed to win if it meant beating a Ferrari.'

IMOLA: RENAULT ONE-TWO IN ITALY!
In front of Felipe Massa [17/02/04 - 18:57]

Another week of private testing started today at Imola.

Both Renault drivers achieved good results, finishing first and second. Fernando Alonso was the fastest, followed by his teammate Jarno Trulli.

Jordan had two EJ14's at the same time on a track for the first time. One for Nick Heidfeld and the other for his new teammate Giorgio Pantano, who managed to complete 60 laps despite having gearbox problems.

Imola - 17/02/04
1. F. Alonso - Renault R24 - 1'20"493 - 77 laps
2. J. Trulli - Renault R24 - 1'20"767 - 84 laps
3. F. Massa - Sauber Petronas C23 - 1'22"028 - 69 laps
4. G. Fisichella - Sauber Petronas C23 - 1'22"331 - 62 laps
5. N. Heidfeld - Jordan-Ford EJ14 - 1'22"408 - 62 laps
6. G. Pantano - Jordan-Ford EJ14 - 1'24"274 - 60 laps

SAUBER'S DAY OF TESTING
At Imola today [17/02/04 - 19:03]

Team Sauber Petronas started its three-day test at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in Imola today.

Felipe Massa covered 69 laps in chassis C23-03 to set a best time of 1:22.028. Giancarlo Fisichella ran 62 laps in chassis C23-02 with a best time of 1:22.331.

Jacky Eeckelaert, Chief Race Engineer at Sauber, said: "Since Imola has similar characteristics as Melbourne we did some set-up work on both cars in view of the Australian Grand Prix. In the morning Felipe also tested different brake parts and various aero configurations. In the afternoon he evaluated several tyre compounds also as a preparation for the first race of the season. Giancarlo tested different damper settings which we had simulated before on the 7-post-rig in the factory.

"Tomorrow Giancarlo will continue the tyre test programme, while Felipe will do a race simulation."

TROUBLE-FREE DAY FOR RENAULT
A total of 800 km for the two cars [17/02/04 - 19:24]

Jarno Trulli and Fernando Alonso spent the morning on set-up work, evaluating suspension changes from Jerez last week as well as extending this programme.

Both drivers conducted tyre testing for the first races of the season during the afternoon.

Jarno Trulli ran the Melbourne specification engine during the day, and encountered no problems. His engine programme concentrated on fine-tuning mapping.

Pat Symonds, Executive Director of Engineering at Renault F1 Team, said: "A pleasing first day at Imola: in spite of the slightly shorter running hours at this circuit, we have completed a total 800km today with the two cars and made good progress with our programme. We experienced no reliability problems, and both drivers are reporting the new car to be a good improvement over the kerbs relative to its predecessor. All in all, a very satisfying day of testing."

Renault on track
Old 02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by hitzi1:
<STRONG>On TV. And they keep showing it more and more. Whee! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I could actually get loads of F1 if I just payed a little for the channel, but... where's the time for watching F1 every day 24/7? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]</STRONG>
dude, if we get F1 24/7, i'll be in heaven every single day! [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

jens: thanks for the news! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] i'll read them later.

New pics on Kimi Heaven!!! - because they're too many to post! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

i need a new av... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet. ✨

Old 02-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Loyal Fan

TWO EJ14's RUNNING FOR THE FIRST TIME
Jordan testing at Imola [17/02/04 - 21:21]

Nick Heidfeld and Giorgio Pantano each completed 61 laps in Jordan Ford’s first two-car EJ14 test which began today in clear but cool conditions in Imola.

Jordan’s Head of Race and Test Engineering James Robinson said, “It’s good to have two EJ14s running for the first time and at a track which brings out many challenges that we may see at the first races of the season in Melbourne and Sepang. We have been learning about those issues and how to address them today, which is clearly productive at this stage.

All the Bridgestone teams are here and we have a comprehensive tyre programme with them for the forthcoming races, in that regard we hope the weather stays clear. Giorgio Pantano has had his first day of testing with us since we signed him – he has been shaking down the second EJ14, which is planned to be his race car. Now that we have over 2500km on the EJ14, tomorrow we hope to be able to start looking at performance criteria.”

FIRST DAY AT MUGELLO
Schumacher took to the track at the wheel of an F2004 [17/02/04 - 22:02]

First day of testing this week for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro at the Mugello circuit. Michael Schumacher took to the track today, at the wheel of an F2004. The day’s programme centred on development of the new car.

Schumacher completed a total of 66 laps (4 on the short version of the track,) with a quickest time of 1:19.864.

The Scuderia continues testing tomorrow, as per the following schedule: Michael Schumacher will remain at Mugello with the F2004, while Luca Badoer will drive an F2003-GA at Imola.

SPONSORS SEVERS TRUST IN VERSTAPPEN?
Perridon unhappy with Jos' management [18/02/04 - 11:19]

Jos Verstappen's chief Formula One sponsor, Trust Computers, is likely to sever its ties with the Dutch racer and sign a deal with privateer team Jordan.

The company almost did a deal with Eddie Jordan but the failed negotiations are being blamed on 31-year-old Jos' 'intransigent' manager Huub Rothengatter.

'If any opportunities ... occur this year,' said Trust chief Michel Perridon, 'we'll go for it. We won't miss out because of the demands of management.'

Jordan said in a statement on Monday that it enjoyed 'excellent negotiations' with Trust but slammed the exorbitant wage-demands of ex-F1 driver Rothengatter.

Earlier, Perridon assured Verstappen's legions of fans that he was not about to do a deal with Eddie Jordan without the Dutch racer in the yellow F1-cockpit.

'The fans do not have to worry that I would agree a deal with Jordan without having Jos as a driver,' Perridon told the media earlier this month.

Now, the Trust chief says he would continue to support Verstappen, but not with his present management, and left open 'other options' if it didn't change.

Exclusive legal sources say it is an offence to directly urge Verstappen to break his contract in order to conclude financial-deals with other parties.

TO SUPPORT NEW TALENT?

Equally, Perridon didn't rule-out supporting a new Dutch driving- talent.

He said: 'There are sufficient [drivers] in the Netherlands who can drive in F1 in a short period of time, if they have the right sponsors and management.'

MONTOYA'S IN FOR A TOUGH RIDE
Says Williams management [18/02/04 - 11:23]

Juan Pablo Montoya should not expect an easy ride at new Formula One employer McLaren, according to the team he will drive for this season, BMW-Williams.

One of the reasons for the Colombian's 2005-switch to the silver-clad team is that he feels Frank Williams favours his German-born star Ralf Schumacher.

'Juan is a difficult person,' said technical director Patrick Head.

'He likes to feel everyone in the team is focused on him. I'm not sure he'll get quite what he's wanting when he goes to McLaren.'

Head explained last week that he believed Montoya's switch was triggered by a in-car radio-row in which the racer accused his team of preferential treatment.

TO FIND MATCH IN RAIKKONEN

Team chief Williams thinks 28-year-old Montoya, and future McLaren team-mate Kimi Raikkonen, will start the 2005 F1-season with a similar level of pace.

'They both have phenomenal car control,' the wheelchair-bound Englishman said.

Frank added: 'I don't know what [Raikkonen's] strengths and weaknesses are, but he obviously looks blindingly quick. But then so does Juan.'

Williams reckons Montoya has an unprecedented ability to 'do the unexpected' and find overtaking-opportunities that are 'invisible' to his nineteen track rivals.

'It will be interesting,' he concluded. 'Juan is hard-headed and fears no- one.'

PALMER SACKS RACE-TRACK WORKERS
'The group had been losing a lot of money' [18/02/04 - 11:27]

Former Formula One driver Jonathan Palmer has sacked more than thirty percent of the workforce at his new acquisition, the Brands Hatch race-circuit in England.

The Briton, who is also manager of laid-off grand prix ace Justin Wilson, has removed 40 of the circuit's (120) staff as he tries to make the venture viable.

LOSING $5m PER YEAR

'The group had been losing a lot of money for the past couple of years,' Dr Palmer said in a statement, 'and it has also lost [F1 venue] Silverstone.'

Jonathan said the Brands Hatch workers used to service Silverstone but the latter grand prix venue is now no-longer part of his new company of UK tracks.

'Those extra staff have only now been reduced,' he told the media.

F1 'BULLDOG' AIMS FOR TOYOTA TOP-FOUR
And a shot at the title [18/02/04 - 11:29]

Like Gascoyne is relishing the challenge of hauling big-budget Formula One team Toyota into the 'top four' competitors in order to attack the championship.

The Briton, praised for his work in the late-90s at Jordan, was lured from fourth-placed Renault to Cologne on the promise of an annual seven-digit salary.

'One of the attractions of coming here is that the top-4 teams have been the same for a long time,' he said also referring to Ferrari, Williams and McLaren.

Toyota, on the other hand, ceased its World Rally and Le Mans projects at the turn of the new millennium in order to attack grands prix for the first time.

BIGGEST BUDGET IN SPORT

It is rumoured to feature the biggest-budget in Formula One; higher even than the up-to $400 million (per annum) coffers of Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes.

Gascoyne defends the investment: 'If you look around the [big team] factories they're impressive - but they've had twenty years to build it all up.'

He told Financial Times that Toyota has built a similar infrastructure capable of taking the fight to the world championship within the space of three-years.

'They had to invest to be a top team,' the man known as 'Bulldog' continues.

So what can Gascoyne's contribution be? Many believe that as 'technical director' he still has a huge influence on the actual lay-out of the F1-racer.

Mike reckons his main input is perhaps more organisational.

'My strength is being able to prioritise the things which make you go quickly.'
Old 02-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Loyal Fan

FIRMAN DISAPPOINTED TO BE OUT OF F1
'I'm most disappointed' [18/02/04 - 12:58]

Ralph Firman is naturally disappointed about not being retained by Formula One team Jordan; but it's mainly because he didn't fulfil his potential in 2003.

The speedster will turn his attention to open-wheeler series Champ Car or IRL this season after sponsored-driver Giorgio Pantano was given the nod in F1.

'I've been aware of what's going on [at Jordan] for some time,' Firman said.

Jordan readily acknowledges that Firman's EJ13 was the team's 'worst' racer in thirteen years of F1, but insists that Ralph Jnr also wasn't up to scratch.

STRUGGLED IN QUALIFYING

Sources at Silverstone point to the Briton's troubled time in 1-lap qualifying, in which he struggled to match team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella's strong pace.

Firman, who may also return to the F-Nippon series he conquered in 2002, added: 'I'm most disappointed about the difficulties with last year's Jordan car.

'It made it impossible to do anything significant in my rookie season.'

Ralph is also considering a switch to the German touring-car category DTM, even though most vacancies in the tin-top series are quickly being filled.

'I'm fascinated to race [in DTM],' said Firman of the series which will be contested by former F1 aces Heinz- Harald Frentzen and Jean Alesi in 2004.

SCHU DOESN'T FEAR MCLAREN
But worries about Williams and Renault [18/02/04 - 13:35]

Michael Schumacher does not fear the new McLaren MP4-19.

The German superstar believes BMW-Williams and Renault are shaping-up to pose a challenge to his crown this season but isn't sure about the racers in silver.

'I see Williams and Renault as really strong,' he told the Italian media.

'... Probably more than McLaren.'

Woking's new Mercedes-powered '19' was the first to hit the pre- season test tracks but, particularly in recent sessions, has not set many quick lap-times.

ARE THEY SANDBAGGING?

Schumacher admits that, in spite of speculation that McLaren are encountering chassis/engine-integration problems, something more sinister might be at play.

'It's hard to judge [as] no-one knows what they're really doing,' he said.

'McLaren aren't setting fast lap times, that's true, but maybe they aren't looking for it. So it's too early to talk about these things now.'

35-year-old Michael reckons BMW-Williams, for whom younger sibling Ralf Schumacher steers an innovative FW26, looks like Ferrari's strongest 2004-rival.

'Maybe they and us are going better than others,' he told Gazzetta Dello Sport, 'but everything depends on the current times that are already now set.'

NO 'NUMBER ONE' AT MINARDI
Equal status for team-mates [18/02/04 - 13:47]

There's no such thing as a 'number one' race-driver at Minardi.

Team boss Paul Stoddart made the promise to new-signings Zsolt Baumgartner and Gianmaria Bruni as his two-seater racer roared around the streets of Budapest.

'Everyone will be treated equally and fairly,' the Australian said.

'There is no ranking between the drivers - both have proved they have what it takes to be on the Formula One grid so now let's get on to a good season.'

SPARE FOR QUICK QUALIFIER

Senior team engineer Andy Tilley, also in Hungary for the '04 'launch' event, added that the spare-car would be prepared for the highest-qualifying driver.

But Zsolt and Gimmi, the rated Rome-born Italian, would get the spare at their respective 'home' races, so that Bruni has priority at both Imola and Monza.

'Minardi has a tradition of hungry drivers who go on to bigger things,' Stoddart concluded. 'There's less pressure here and it's a good proving ground.'

WATCH OUT FERRARI, HERE'S RENAULT
'We'll keep hounding them' [18/02/04 - 13:58]

Watch out Ferrari, here come your meaner Formula One rivals.

That's the warning of executive director of engineering at fourth- placed team Renault as he expects a new constructors' champion to be crowned in 2004.

'This sport is not about past statistics,' said Pat Symonds, referring to the Maranello-based Ferrari team's run of five consecutive constructors' titles.

He added: 'Ferrari exemplify amazing, efficient team- work.

'But that isn't to say that another team can't equal or better them.'

WEAKNESSES REVEALED

Symonds believes that last season uncovered many of Ferrari's vulnerabilities.

'I think when they were under pressure [the weaknesses] really came out.

'We'll keep hounding them and we'll try to keep getting the results.'

Renault, with Spanish driver Fernando Alonso, won its first race as a modern F1 constructor last season and has impressed all with a striking new R24 car.

'Ferrari were not the quickest at every race last year, and probably won't be in 2004 either,' Pat said. 'But this season will be all about reliability.'

New regulations require that each car use a single powerplant all race-weekend.

'Whether we can fight [with Ferrari] consistently this season, we'll have to see,' said Symonds. 'But we hold out real hope that we can do it.'

JORDAN GIVES UP ON COST-CUTTING QUEST
'They don't care if we're uncompetitive' [18/02/04 - 14:21]

Eddie Jordan has 'given up' a quest to cut costs in Formula One.

The Irishman, whose Silverstone-based team runs on the sport's second- smallest budget, is disillusioned by his richer rivals' reluctance to embrace change.

Asked by F1 Racing magazine what he's thinking about next to reduce spiralling expenditure for all teams, EJ said: 'I don't know. I've given up.

'Every time anybody suggests anything it gets brushed to one side.'

Last season, EJ's former technical deputy Gary Anderson suggested that the GP-weekend could be cut to just two days to reduce the associated costs of racing.

And EJ is a staunch-supporter of mandating reduced levels of testing.

FIA SLAMS LACK OF PROGRESS

The governing FIA has also criticised the lack of progress, a spokesman confirming that teams recently rejected a raft of federation-proposed ideas.

'The teams have had several meetings,' said a source, 'but produced nothing.'

Jordan reckons the only reason big teams like Ferrari and McLaren want to keep ten competitors in F1 is so they don't have to field a third car in grands prix.

'They don't care if we're uncompetitive,' he told the magazine.

GERMAN DRIVER IS A 'BONUS' SAYS BMW
Not a necessity [18/02/04 - 15:00]

BMW has detained speculation that Formula One chassis-partner Williams has been muscled into a corner in negotiations with Ralf Schumacher over nationality.

The Munich-based marque's competition director Dr Mario Theissen said is was simply a 'bonus' if Frank Williams puts a German in the racing cockpit.

Talks with Kerpen-born star Schumacher over a new race-agreement beyond 2004 have stalled because the German wants a sizeable $24.5 million per season.

Speculation said BMW demanded at least one German F1 pilot.

'We just want the best drivers available to us,' Theissen insisted.

He added that if one of the occupants of the 2005-specification FW26 'happens to be German, then that is just a bonus for us.'

HAPPY WITH SCHUMACHER

Nonetheless, Theissen makes it clear that BMW is happy with 28-year- old Ralf.

He reckons the younger sibling of Ferrari-driving world champion Michael Schumacher has the ability to win the championship and is still improving.

'I think Ralf has learned a lot in the past few years,' said the German, 'and in the way he approaches his work, he is getting better too.

'I think his talent level has not levelled off yet.'
Old 02-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Loyal Fan

VERSTAPPEN TO STICK BY SLATED MANAGER
'Huub will stay my manager' [18/02/04 - 15:05]

Jos Verstappen's agent Huub Rothengatter is 'gob-smacked'.

What has got the former F1 ace so worked up? - he can hardly believe what he's read on the internet in past hours in reference to his managerial skills.

Jordan called the Dutchman 'intransigent' and suggested that he was asking for an unreasonable commission on new sponsorship deals as part of a JV-drive.

And Verstappen sponsor Trust Computers said it would go ahead with new opportunities in the F1 paddock despite the huge-demands of poor management.

'I am absolutely gob-smacked by what I have read,' Huub told Jos' website.

'I don't want to give any comments at this point.'

HUUB AND TRUST FELL-OUT

Sources close to Verstappen confirmed that Trust boss Michel Perridon and Rothengatter fell-out at some point during race negotiations with Jordan.

Verstappen is split between his two closest supporters but has confirmed that Huub Rothengatter will continue to organise his race- driving career.

'Many things have happened thanks to Michel, but Huub too,' he said.

'I have said it before, Huub will stay my manager. It is thanks to him that I have been in Formula One for such a long time. He'll always be part of it.'

WIRDHEIM TO MAKE THE MOST OF JAGUAR ROLE
And use it as a shop-window [18/02/04 - 15:41]

F3000 champion Bjorn Wirdheim intends to use the free practice sessions at F1 grands prix this season as a shop-window for his driving talents.

According to a source, the Swede - given his signing as Jaguar's 'third' driver in 2004 - will steer the spare-car at all eighteen GP-venues on the calendar.

The 23-year-old said at a news conference in Stockholm: 'This was the best solution for me this year. It gives me a chance to get into Formula One.'

ONE-YEAR CONTRACT

Wirdheim added that the exercise would be used to gather experience of the Formula One circuits and circus and 'see what it takes' to land a race-drive.

He also confirmed a single-season contract with the Milton-Keynes team.

Bjorn drove for Arden in F3000 last season and is managed by team principal Christian Horner, who said the new role is a 'perfect platform' for his charge.

Jaguar had hoped to sign ex-racer Justin Wilson to the role but a new regulation requires that 'third' drivers have less than six grands prix on their CV.

'We will have a third car at every race,' MD David Pitchforth said recently.

NEW TOYOTA ENGINE IS BEST IN F1?
Fast and 'incredibly reliable' [18/02/04 - 15:48]

Toyota's new RVX-04 V10 engine is perhaps the very best in Formula One, according to the team's new 'technical director chassis' Mike Gascoyne.

Recent wisdom of the past few seasons put BMW's powerplant, and perhaps the 90-degree Ferrari, at the top of the tree in terms of power and driveability.

But the new Toyota, designed by the team at Cologne (Germany) headed by Italian Luca Marmorini, is a 'championship winner,' Gascoyne insisted.

'It's also incredibly reliable,' he told the Financial Times, which should boost Toyota's chance of emerging triumphant from new long-life engine regulations.

TOP-TEAMS MAY STRUGGLE

Gascoyne reckons even the top teams will 'struggle' with the rule which has required engine-designers to effectively double the life of their V10 units.

'It's an area we could capitalise on,' he added.

The no-nonsense Englishman's job, however, is on the chassis-side of things.

'They've produced a sound car, and I've got to make it a quick one,' Gascoyne said of the evolutionary design dubbed TF104 and based on its predecessor.

He said: 'Until we get the bits to make the car competitive, what we have to do is make the most of what we've got and the engine will allow us to do that.'

IMOLA : TRULLI'S TURN TO TOP THE TIME SHEETS
Renault and Michelin dominate in Italy [18/02/04 - 18:51]

It was Jarno Trulli's turn today to top the time sheets at Imola. The Italian finished first in front of Felipe Massa at the wheel of his Sauber C23.

Luca Badoer is third, even if he went off the track at the beginning of the afternoon, damaging the left side of his Ferrari.

Fernando Alonso was the fastest driver yesterday but the Spaniard focused on long runs today, testing the reliability of the new R24.

Giorgio Pantano increased his pace compared to yesterday, finishing in front of his teammate Nick Heidfeld.

Imola - 18/02/04
1. J. Trulli - Renault R24 - 1'21"243 - 78 laps
2. F. Massa - Sauber Petronas C23 - 1'21"281 - 66 laps
3. L. Badoer - Ferrari F2003-GA - 1'21"412 - 58 laps
4. F. Alonso - Renault R24 - 1'21"686 - 105 laps
5. G. Fisichella - Sauber Petronas C23 - 1'21"801 - 61 laps
6. G. Pantano - Jordan-Ford EJ14 - 1'22"596 - 58 laps
7. N. Heidfeld - Jordan-Ford EJ14 - 1'23"267 - 66 laps
8. G. Bruni - Minardi PS04 - 1'24"001 - 67 laps

VALENCIA: NEW LAP RECORD FOR MONTOYA
The Williams FW26 is doing well [18/02/04 - 19:05]

Juan Pablo Montoya broke the unofficial track record at the Valencia circuit today. The previous record was held by Antonio Pizzonia since 29 January of this year.

McLaren had their race crew today instead of the usual test team since the Woking-based squad wanted to go through a race simulation. Raikkonen's "race" was interrupted by a small fire during a pit stop while David Coulthard's MP4-19 engine broke before the end of the simulation. A difficult day for McLaren...

Valencia - 18/02/04
1. J.P. Montoya - Williams-BMW FW26 - 1'09"103 - 85 laps
2. J. Button - BAR-Honda 006 - 1'09"467 - 98 laps
3. C. Klien - Jaguar R5 - 1'09"514 - 110 laps
4. T. Sato - BAR-Honda 006 - 1'09"893 - 67 laps
5. M. Webber - Jaguar R5 - 1'09"894 - 129 laps
6. K. Raikkonen - McLaren-Mercedes MP4/19 - 1'10"219 - 101 laps
7. R. Zonta - Toyota TF104 - 1'10"250 - 126 laps
8. A. Davidson - BAR-Honda 005 - 1'10"299 - 81 laps
9. M. Gené - Williams-BMW FW26 - 1'10"301 - 92 laps
10. D. Coulthard - McLaren-Mercedes MP4/19 - 1'10"412 - 74 laps
11. C. Da Matta - Toyota TF104 - 1'10"532 - 45 laps

FERRARI'S DAY AT MUGELLO
Schumacher behind the wheel of an F2004 [18/02/04 - 20:04]

Michael Schumacher continued his work at Mugello today. The World Champion completed 63 laps at the wheel of an F2004, his fastest time in 1'19"060.

The track record is still held (since last week) by his teammate Rubens Barrichello in 1'18"704.

Michael Schumacher will be testing tomorrow as well, before handing over his place to Rubens Barrichello, who will be on duty at the Mugello circuit from Friday to Sunday.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Hey Lindsay, How about a "welcome back F1 and hello Kimi" Avatar? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

What's going on with McLaren? Are their times a fake or are they really slower then Renault and BMW? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

I'm sure that Renault is a canditate for this years championship!

[ 02-19-2004: Message edited ²Jens ]
Old 02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for all the latest news.

Not very long to wait now and then we will be listening to the roar of the engines. I love this time of the year and reading about the drivers as they try and pyche the opposition out. You gotta love it.

I wouldn't mind having a formula one avatar either for race weekend.

It's Elementary my dear Watson
Old 02-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ²Jens:
<STRONG>

Hitzi: I will visit this summer the Nordkapp and drive through the whole Scandinavia. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Ohh, coolness. Scandinavia is real pretty during the summer. In a different kind of way.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Loyal Fan

I think so too Hitzi, and to see enough from it I plan a trip where is near 10000km long. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bel: Yeah I know. I cant wait till the lights go green. And two hours later we will know what team made the best job during the winter months!

[ 02-19-2004: Message edited ²Jens ]
Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Loyal Fan

RALF RECKONS HE CAN SHADE MONTOYA
In their final year as team-mates [19/02/04 - 10:58]

Ralf Schumacher reckons he can again put his F1 team-mate in the shade even if the single-lap qualifying format has undergone more changes this season.

The German, who had an edge over Juan Pablo Montoya in the Friday / Saturday design of 2003, is looking forward to the revised back-to- back Saturday system.

'I don't see a huge difference,' the BMW- Williams driver told British broadcaster website ITV-F1, 'even if there's less time between the two sessions.

'I'm looking forward to proving myself twice within a few minutes.'

The 28-year-old had problems early last season in getting the most out of his Formula One racer over just a single-lap in the quest for pole position.

Schumacher improved mainly by increasing concentration for the session.

'It's something I probably learned from my time in Japan,' he concluded.

FORMAT ENDS TRUE QUALIFYING

Montoya, who'll see out his BMW-tenure this year, worries that the new format is set to put to an end to all-out 'true qualifying performance' in F1.

'The first run will be low-fuel but [with] race- setup,' the Colombian also told ITV-F1. 'It means the car will understeer all over the place.'

* American F1-fans will again be given the chance to check-out pitlane at Indianapolis this season with the confirmed return of the 'USGP pit walkabout.'

'Many teams asked us after the [2003] race how they can get more involved this year,' said vice president of business affairs at Indy, Joie Chitwood.

JORDAN SIGNS TIMO GLOCK
As their permanent third driver on Fridays [19/02/04 - 12:22]

German 21-year old Timo Glock will be Jordan Ford’s permanent third driver on Friday sessions at Grands Prix in the 2004 FIA Formula One World Championship. Glock, who has tested for Jordan Ford at Barcelona and Silverstone, won three races and achieved a further three podiums in the inaugural Championship of the Formula 3 Euro Series last year.

Timo Glock said, “I´m very happy and proud that I can be part of Jordan Ford with a place in Formula One for the 2004 season. I thank the Jordan technical staff who made it possible for me to give a good performance at the Barcelona and Silverstone testing sessions recently. We have worked together successfully already and I’m looking forward to a fantastic time with them this year.”

Eddie Jordan said, “Timo Glock is one of the most promising young driving talents in Germany at the moment and I’m delighted that we are able to offer him a regular F1 testing role. He’s come up through the junior categories quickly and this will give him an invaluable opportunity to learn every Grand Prix circuit on the calendar. It’s a perfect training ground and will also help the team in terms of having another car’s data to assist with our preparation for each race. Timo has really impressed our engineers with his testing feedback and we are now hoping to guide him through this next stage of his career with the ultimate aim for him to become a Grand Prix driver of the future.”

Timo Glock began his motorsport career in 1997 at the age of 15, winning several karting championships and the BMW Formula ADAC Series in 2000 and 2001 before finishing third in his first International Formula Three Series in Germany in 2002, when he was awarded “Rookie of the Year”. He competed against Christian Klien and Ryan Briscoe in the International Formula 3 Euro in 2003, with three race wins and three further podium positions.

IS MONTOYA WORRIED ABOUT RAIKKONEN?
'I'm not thinking about that' [19/02/04 - 13:00]

Surely, even though Juan Pablo Montoya is relishing his move to McLaren, the Colombian lays awake at night worrying about future team- mate Kimi Raikkonen ..?

'I'm not thinking about that,' this season's Williams ace told ITV-F1.

He added: 'It will be good if we can work together. But I obviously feel that I can beat him if I have an equal car.'

Montoya, who has not actually had his next team-mate confirmed by McLaren, knows that 24-year-old Raikkonen is one of the very best young chargers in F1.

'I don't think I'm quicker than anyone else,' said the 28-year-old, 'but I don't think I'm slower either. There will be times when we both beat each other.'

BLOWN-AWAY BY RALF

The Bogota-born ace referred to 2001, when - as a Formula One rookie - he was significantly beaten by current team-mate Ralf Schumacher.

'For the first six months, he blew me away,' said JPM, who thinks F1 will have a new champion in 2004. 'But since then I seem to have had the better of him.'

MATHIAS LAUDA'S FEELING NO PRESSURE
To emulate his father [19/02/04 - 13:29]

Rising open-wheeler sensation Mathias Lauda feels no pressure to replicate the feats of his triple Formula One world championship- winning father Niki.

The Austrian, 23, has just signed a contract to race with F3000 operation Coloni in 2004 having impressed in the World Series By Nissan (Lights) last year.

Lauda said he would be happy if his season on the F1-tracks this season impresses grand prix racing-bosses and inspires a graduation to the big-league.

But he told the ANSA network: 'I don't have any great ambition or feel any obligation to reach Formula One and repeat the success my father had.'

FATHER DROVE 14 SEASONS

Lauda Senior, now 55 and still scarred from a near-fatal shunt at the Nurburgring (1976), drove for Ferrari and McLaren in a 14-season GP career.

His son concluded: 'If I do have success and move up to F1 I'm certainly going to be happy. And I'm sure my father will be happy about it as well.'

RALF'S NEVER HAD A BETTER RACER
'I would say it's the best one I've ever had' [19/02/04 - 14:27]

Ralf Schumacher has never had a better Formula One title- weapon.

Last season, the German's BMW-powered FW25 Williams was an under- developed machine that didn't win a race until June's Monte-Carlo event of Monaco.

But the innovative FW26 is ready, according to the youngest Schu.

He told ITV-F1: 'I would say it's the best one I've ever had at the start of a season. A car has to be competitive when it first comes out of the factory.

'We missed it last year, but we had a satisfying start this year.'

NEW OPPONENT

Ralf, 28, warned that Ferrari - headed by big-brother Michael - is again the team to beat but downplayed the threat posed by fourth- placed Renault.

BAR-Honda has also surprised the BMW-Williams star; even if he reckons some of the Brackley-based team's sterling test-times have been 'for show' only.

'[But] even if they were on low fuel,' said Ralf, 'they are fast.

'If their car really is like that, there's a new opponent.'

WEBBER'S EGO KEPT IN CHECK 'DOWN UNDER'
'...tell you if you're getting too big for your boots' [19/02/04 - 14:44]

Mark Webber's ego is kept in check by his Australian supporters.

The local lad returns to Albert Park for the third time as an F1 driver next month and admits that attention has increased 'massively' since his debut.

He finished fifth for Minardi in 2002 'and last year I was running 5th with Michael ahead and DC behind before my driveshaft broke,' said Webber.

Mark was speaking at Jaguar's annual NSPCC charity-night in Coventry.

LOTS OF EXPECTATION

'It's been a very good race for me,' said Mark, referring to Melbourne.

Racing in front of a home contingent obviously raises the pressure, Webber confirmed; 'it's a very busy few days - lots of expectation and things.'

And the 27-year-old reckons Aussies know all about the 'tall poppy syndrome.'

'They've been known to tell you if you're getting too big for your boots so it certainly keeps your feet on the ground. I think we put on a great race.'

SPARCO TO DRESS MCLAREN'S DRIVERS
In innovative race suits [19/02/04 - 15:26]

Team McLaren Mercedes is delighted to announce that Sparco has joined its portfolio of Partners as Official Supplier of race wear to the team. The relationship will see Sparco exclusively provide advanced race wear, which has been developed to help improve the drivers' environment in the cockpit, to Team McLaren Mercedes drivers David Coulthard, Kimi Raikkonen, Alex Wurz and Pedro de la Rosa.

The race suits are produced using Sparco Tex-Thread W-150? based on a new extra light Nomex fabric (298 g/smq) and Sparco Isotec Friction 50?, fireproof material with stretching capabilities (15%). This innovative technology has been developed in conjunction with the Team McLaren Mercedes drivers. It is based on combining multiple layers of different high tech fabrics in order to provide lightweight and enhanced breathability characteristics, which also improves the race suits versatility under varied conditions of use.

"We have been wearing a development version of the new race suits from Sparco at recent tests and have been impressed with their performance, the material is a definitely improvement and it is a significant step forward," said David Coulthard, Team McLaren Mercedes driver. "We already have our race suits tailor made, as we all have different preferences for example Kimi prefers his suit to be looser than mine. However the technology Sparco has incorporated into the new suits has definitely improved my comfort whilst sitting in the car as there are less pressure points. During the tests in the build-up to the start of the 2004 Formula One season, we will continue to work with technicians from Sparco on honing the design and I am looking forward to wearing the final version. Particularly for the first three Grands Prix, which are taking place in Australia, Malaysia and Bahrain locations that tend to have hot atmospheric conditions, which is where the new suits should provide the maximum benefits, as they already feel much cooler."

"Driver safety in Formula One is paramount and race wear is a major element of any competitors protective equipment. In addition to this safety requirement, there is also a comfort aspect, which has a clear influence on performance levels," commented Martin Whitmarsh, Managing Director of McLaren Racing at a signing ceremony on 12th February attended by Sparco's President and Managing Director, Diego Basso. "We have entered into our long-term Partnership with Sparco as a result of their technical capabilities and consequential benefits provided to the Team McLaren Mercedes drivers in this area, as a result of the innovative light-weight and breathable race suits that Sparco have developed exclusively for the team."

"Only through strategic partnerships with leading teams like Team McLaren Mercedes it is possible to make progress in product development, and consequently increasing the safety and performance in motor racing," said Diego Basso during the ceremony. "Behind the resources that Sparco dedicates to R&D for increasing the quality and the performances of our products, there is the enthusiasm and passion to work closely with the people that through their hard work on the racetrack provide essential information to our technicians. The introduction of the new race suits for Team McLaren Mercedes marks a technological milestone, and represents the future of specialised clothing."

BERNI DOUBTS SUCCESS OF 'NEW' CART
'We'll have to wait and see how they survive' [19/02/04 - 15:44]

Bernie Ecclestone doubts that a rejuvenated CART series can stay the distance.

The F1 supremo told us that Champ Cars, which emerged from bankruptcy on Wednesday with a new owner (OWRS), 'lost its way' several years ago.

73-year-old Ecclestone was last year linked with a buy-out of the embattled open-wheeler series based in the United States, but talks came to nothing.

Bernie said CART used to be a 'good domestic series' that shot itself in the foot because it wanted to globalise and act as a rival to Formula One.

WANTED TO MERGE IRL

'We'll have to wait and see how they survive,' he continued. 'I was hoping to get them together [with the IRL] and then I think it would have worked.'

* Indian F1-hopeful Narain Karthikeyan claims back-of-the-grid team Minardi offered him a full-time seat at the pinnacle of motor sport this season.

He said he turned it down because he couldn't raise enough sponsorship.

Karthikeyan, who raced in the World Series by Nissan in 2003, tested a Formula One Minardi last December and got a chance to secure the full-time seat.

He told the press: 'They waited for me to raise the necessary amount before they signed on [the] others. But I just couldn't get the money together.'
Closed Thread   Post New Thread