Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Supreme Fan

PANTANO CONFIRMED AT JORDAN
Last Updated: Friday, 13 February , 2004, 17:23

Giorgio Pantano has clinched the second seat at Jordan.

The Italian was due to sign with the team earlier this week but last-minute glitches meant the deal could not be confirmed until today.

He said: “I’m so happy. I want to thank Eddie Jordan and everybody at Jordan Grand Prix for giving me the opportunity to be in F1 and show my ability.

"I will be giving my all as I really want to guarantee them good results.

"There are a lot of people I have to thank for helping me get to this position and I hope I will make them proud.

"I’m looking forward to driving the car some more in the test sessions, and then of course, I am really excited about my first grand prix in Melbourne in just a few weeks time.”

The 25-year-old, who has been racing in International Formula 3000 for the last two years, has been testing alongside Nick Heidfeld at Jerez this week and has posted some impressive times.

Team boss Eddie Jordan said: “Giorgio performed consistently with accomplished racecraft at the front of the field for three years in F3000 and he’s ready for the challenge in F1.

"In Jordan Ford’s driver pairing I believe we have the best possible combination of youth, experience and natural ability.

"Giorgio and Nick are seriously quick, skilled and hungry for success, which is exactly what we need to rejuvenate the team and lead Jordan’s fight-back in 2004.

"I can’t wait for the first race!”

Pantano is reportedly bringing around £3million ($5.5m) in sponsorship to the team.

The deal means there are no more F1 seats available for the 2004 season.

HEAD SPILLS THE BEANS ON JPM ROW
Last Updated: Friday, 13 February , 2004, 10:46

Patrick Head has spoken for the first time about the amazing bust-up that led to Juan Pablo Montoya’s McLaren move.

The relationship between Montoya and Williams disintegrated when, in a radio exchange during the French GP, the Colombian accused the team of giving preferential treatment to Ralf Schumacher.

Head said: “He accused everyone from the very top down of being incompetent. The abuse began with the letter w. We were not going to stand for that sort of behaviour.

"We didn't feel it was appropriate to abuse the guys who had worked so hard on his car.

"The trouble with Juan is he is a very passionate character and can make impulsive decisions.

"For 10 minutes, he abused the team verbally and then went into a sulk and cruised around for the rest of the race.

"He fell way behind Ralf and the irony is Ralf made a mistake towards the end that could have let Juan through if he had been anywhere near.

"That was another thing which annoyed us because we didn't feel backing off when he still had a chance to win the race was the correct thing to do. It is just not professional."

Montoya was called to the Williams factory after the incident and received a severe carpeting from Head. Soon after, the 28-year-old agreed to join McLaren.

The Colombian of course still has one year left on his Williams contract and Head has promised that they will put their troubles to one side to concentrate on mounting a championship push.

He said: "I think we'll be able to put it all behind us, we're all adults.

"Of course, it's a shame he's going but that's Formula One. I think he wants a team where everything is poured into him and everyone knows Williams is a team that treats both drivers fairly.

"I fear that what is waiting for him at McLaren is not quite what he is expecting because they have a lot of affection for Kimi Raikkonen, who will be his team-mate."

SCHUEY UNIMPRESSED BY MCLAREN
Last Updated: Friday, 13 February , 2004, 12:10

Michael Schumacher believes Williams and Renault pose more of a threat in 2004 than McLaren.

Schumacher said he had been unimpressed by McLaren’s lap times in pre-season testing – although he refused to rule out the possibility that the team was sandbagging.

The Ferrari driver told the Gazzetta dello Sport: "I see Williams and Renault are really strong, probably more than McLaren.

"But it's impossible to judge from the outside, as no one knows what they are really doing at McLaren. They aren't setting fast laptimes, that's true, but maybe they aren't looking for it.

"So it's pointless to talk about these things now, it's premature, we'll have to wait. Williams and us are certainly going better than others, but everything depends on the current tests and on the moment those laptimes are set."

Schumacher is very pleased with the strides that Ferrari have made over the winter. And he has no worries about the reliability of the new F2004 going into the new season.

Ferrari have used their old car at the first race of the season in each of the last two years but will unleash the new chassis at Melbourne this time around.

Schumacher said: "There is really no reason for not taking it to Melbourne, even within a short time we have made some positive experiments; we are optimistic, totally calm and confident about its reliability already on the first race of the championship.

"At this time last year the work we were doing was completely different: we had just received the new car, but there were problems so we immediately turn our attention on the old car. With the F2002 we didn't need to look for reliability, as we knew we could be safe with it."

Schumacher and team-mate Rubens Barrichello have already set new lap records at both Fiorano and Mugello in the F2004.

The German said: "I'm happy that the new car allows us to set such significant laptimes already, as it proves that we have great potential.

"It is important to have such improvements: the lowering of over two seconds on the lap set by Rubens is a remarkable achievement that puts us in a strong position compared to the rest."

JEREZ TEST WRAPS UP
Last Updated: Friday, 13 February , 2004, 18:44

The teams continued their testing duties in southern Spain today.

However, there was less traffic on the track after BAR and Sauber headed home.

That left Williams to get down to business and Ralf Schumacher managed the best time of the week in his FW26.

McLaren weren't far behind on the timesheets although Alexander Wurz suffered a mechanic glitch early on and he only managed 39 laps.

The week has certainly been a good one for Jordan. Not only have they filled their second driver position but the EJ14 has set a team record for initial reliability.

New boy Giorgio Pantano will join Nick Heidfeld at the team’s first two car EJ14 test in Imola next week.

Today's times

1 R SCHUMACHER Williams 1m16.953s
2 MONTOYA Williams 1m17.315s
3 DE LA ROSA McLaren 1m17.740s
4 WURZ McLaren 1m17.914s
5 BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m18.369s
6 HEIDFELD Jordan 1m20.376s

TRULLI WARNS RIVALS
Last Updated: Friday, 13 February , 2004, 17:14

Jarno Trulli has told the F1 world not to discount Renault after another promising test at Jerez this week.

Renault have been particularly strong over the longer distances in testing which has prompted driver Trulli to predict some close races at the top in 2004.

He told Autosport: "We could be dark horses for this season. Don't discount us - I am extremely confident.

"This car was quick out of the box, although I wasn't entirely happy in it. But we've made extremely good progress this week. We've done a lot of mileage and worked on several things.

“There has been a huge step on both engine and chassis, and I might say that we are very safe on the tyre front as well!

"We're very strong in the long runs, but there is still some fine-tuning to be done for single-lap runs. Williams seems to be very good on low fuel, so we still have some work to get to 100 percent on the qualifying laps."

The top three – Ferrari, Williams and McLaren – have each commented on how impressed they are with the R24 in testing and how they see the team has a big threat in 2004.

Williams team boss Frank Williams has even tipped Renault driver Fernando Alonso has a strong championship contender.

He told the BBC: "Leaving aside our drivers, I would say Michael [is the favourite] and maybe Alonso - the Renault is a very impressive car.

"We've got a good car, but I suspect Ferrari will be the team to beat. And I think that Renault will cause a few major problems."

F1 FEVER HITS BAHRAIN
Last Updated: Friday, 13 February , 2004, 12:55

F1 heads to Bahrain early with an F1 car taking to the streets of the capital next week.

Sauber's test driver Neel Jani will drive the team's 2003 car - the C22 - down Manama's sea front on the King Faisal Highway next Thursday.

It will be the first time that a modern-day F1 car has driven at speed in the Middle East.

Bahrain will host its inaugural grand prix on the 4th April – dubbed 04.04.04 – the third race of the 2004 calendar.

The F1 sprint down the streets of Manama is just one spectacle of the “F1 Fever” event that runs throughout the day. The event is a taster for the locals and organisers hope it will attract thousands of spectators from the region.

The Chairman of the Bahrain International Circuit Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa said: "This will be a hugely exciting event; an amazing opportunity for everyone here in Bahrain and the region to see and feel at first hand the passion and experience associated with a Formula One car at full speed for the first time.

“Everyone, young and old, is invited to enjoy this first taste of this spectacular sport and enjoy a great day out.”
Old 02-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Supreme Fan

Is it time to write-off McLaren?
'It's difficult to say where they are at the moment' [13/02/04 - 11:31]

Is it time to write-off Formula One team McLaren?

The Mercedes-powered outfit was the first to get its new MP4-19 challenger running this winter but it has not really impressed the testing timesheets.

'It's difficult to say where they are at the moment,' rival technical director Patrick Head, of the Grove- based BMW-Williams team, said on Thursday.

Particularly over long-runs, team racers Kimi Raikkonen and David Coulthard don't look special, perhaps due to some niggling new-engine bugs.

MERCEDES ENGINE TURNED-DOWN

'We've heard that,' said the Briton, 'and that maybe they're running with it turned down. But I've learned never to underestimate a team like McLaren.'

Williams' racer Ralf Schumacher agrees that, despite adverse reports from the Spanish testing-venues, McLaren will fire-up in Australia 'very strong.

'Believe me,' the German told ITV-F1. 'They have had enough time to prepare their car and even with their so- called old-car they were very competitive.'

Teams gamble safety for ballast
How safe are F1's chassis? [13/02/04 - 11:15]

Formula One teams are gambling car-safety for better performance and handling, according to Jordan's former director of race engineering Gary Anderson.

The Irishman told Autosport that the current trend is to produce as light a chassis as possible in order to add large amounts of moveable ballast.

Distributing ballast in an optimal way allows race-drivers to better set-up their cars for the demands of very different circuits like Monza and Monaco.

But the ballast - usually a high-density metal amalgam - is not fixed to the car as properly as some other permanent parts and could come loose in an accident.

AS MUCH AS 100/600 KILOGRAMS

Anderson said some teams, who must present a car/driver combination with a minimum weight of 600kgs to stewards, add as much as 100 kilograms of ballast.

Renault's new R24 is a good example of a team using the technique.

Their new 72-degree engine produces a higher centre-of-gravity this season but putting plenty of ballast near the bottom of the car minimises the effect.

Toyota designer Gustav Brunner confirmed the usefulness of maximising ballast.

He said: 'The weight distribution [of the TF104] is slightly more forward, but it is something you vary with ballast from day to day and from track to track.'

Rivals worried about Renault
'The Renault is a very impressive car' [13/02/04 - 11:06]

Renault's rivals are worried that the French-owned marque is, for the first time since 1997 as an engine-supplier, on the verge of returning to winning ways.

'Leaving aside our drivers,' team owner Sir Frank Williams told the BBC, 'I would say Michael [Schumacher is favourite] and maybe [Fernando] Alonso.

'The Renault is a very impressive car,' he said.

Autosport magazine completed an analysis of top-teams' recent pre- season race simulations and concluded that 22-year-old Alonso was the grand prix winner.

In the new R24, he beat Luca Badoer's Ferrari and Ralf Schumacher's FW26.

R24 IS STRONG ON LONG-RUNS

'Renault is looking strong on long runs,' Jaguar's Mark Webber agreed. 'The Williams is a good car but Renault is strongest over a race distance.'

Williams added that Ferrari is likely to be the team to beat this season but said Renault is all set to cause 'a few major problems' from the season-opener.

Team racer Ralf Schumacher, however, isn't so sure.

'I don't see them winning the championship,' the German told ITV, 'as I imagine they will have problems with the engine. But they are looking quite strong.'

Renault's own director of engineering, Pat Symonds, agrees, insisting that the Enstone-based team has a way to go before hitting a title- winning potential.

'We're looking reasonable,' he said at the Jerez test-circuit, 'but I don't think you should expect us to win it. We're not at the top quite yet.'

Bernie coughed bucks to get F1 deal
'...there are things still to be ironed out' [13/02/04 - 13:12]

Racing-commander Bernie Ecclestone had to cede a few more dollars to the disgruntled manufacturers in a bid to seal the long-term future of Formula One.

The 73-year-old head of F1 Management confirmed reports that a 'tentative agreement' has been reached to quell the threat of a breakaway-series.

'I suppose like all agreements there are things still to be ironed out in the end,' said Ecclestone, 'but I'm sure we are going to get there.'

In terms of the likelihood of a GPWC (carmaker)-run series to be set- up in 2008, however, Bernie says everyone is 'very happy' with the way things currently are.

To get a deal, BE admits a 'few more dollars' had to be promised to the teams.

NOT SURE IF THREAT WAS REAL

'But that's normal,' he added. 'And we're going to put some people with veto rights on the board so I don't do silly things, which I haven't up to now.'

Bernie isn't sure just how serious the threat of F1-split was.

'The [manufacturers] are competing in the marketplace, they're competing on the track - how were they ever going to agree to rules and how to run the race?'
Old 02-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Xi Men:
<STRONG>whoah. i've been hiding under a rock! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

hitzi: [img]smilies/spank.gif[/img]

</STRONG>
Those damn rocks. They keep getting bigger and bigger and put us under them. Evil rocks.

Dude, it looks like I'm enjoying that! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Maybe I am. [img]smilies/eyebrows.gif[/img] [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Ahhh, I'm tired. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by *MH*:
<STRONG> [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] hitzi - [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] well based on the amount of stuyding you have been doing on Rob I would say that you should be well up to speed and able to recognise him no matter how little of him you can (or can't) see [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
and now someone will find me a pic of Nando and i will be like "that's not him" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/wiggle.gif[/img] lindsay - pleased to see that you are out from under that rock [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
and yeah i decided that i should check 'Kimi Heaven' because I really couldn't believe that it was shut. and i found that it was open [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] i was both pleased and shocked [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] that site really is the greatest for pictures [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] You're not referring to when I saw an itsy bitsy bit of Rob's hair on the news paper and knew for sure it was him? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And there's only you here to blame, you made the person I am now. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Man, I have no idea what I'm saying here. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I think my eyes are popping out of my head when I yawn. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Kimi Heaven. Maaaaan, you have no idea how funny that is! [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] Ask me again tomorrow, and you'll see I don't fina anything this amusing in it. [img]smilies/smirk.gif[/img]

I saw aFormula 1 ad on TV today and got that special feeling I always get when I know it's F1 weekend. Can't wait. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

Maybe I should... go to bed. [img]smilies/goof.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hitzi1:
<STRONG>

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] You're not referring to when I saw an itsy bitsy bit of Rob's hair on the news paper and knew for sure it was him? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And there's only you here to blame, you made the person I am now. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Man, I have no idea what I'm saying here. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I think my eyes are popping out of my head when I yawn. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Kimi Heaven. Maaaaan, you have no idea how funny that is! [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] Ask me again tomorrow, and you'll see I don't fina anything this amusing in it. [img]smilies/smirk.gif[/img]

I saw aFormula 1 ad on TV today and got that special feeling I always get when I know it's F1 weekend. Can't wait. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

Maybe I should... go to bed. [img]smilies/goof.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'm not sure that i would even have managed to spot Nando from a small part of his hair [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] however i did spot the great cover on thet f1racing magazine (kimi and fernando) from across a shop when i was on holiday in August so maybe i would [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
ahhh but you know you love being the person that you are [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm not going to be here tomorrow to ask you [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img] I'm going on holiday for a week (with my homework) but i really can't wait to get away [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

OMG IT'S SO CLOSE!!! [img]smilies/party.gif[/img] 3 weeks. and when i return from my hols it will only be 2 weeks. OMG [img]smilies/party.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Supreme Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] I'll see you all in a week when I get back. how i'm going to miss you all [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] enjoy looking forward to the f1 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

and some gifts before i leave

and remember be good [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] don't fight over Nando while I'm gone [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Addicted Fan

When did it come as a habit to give gifts to oneself when he's leaving? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I will miss you so. [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img] Have fun!

Sooo, who's taking Fern then? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Loyal Fan

Have fun in your holidays Marie! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]
I will post the news during you are not here. I hope it's ok for you.

[ 02-14-2004: Message edited ²Jens ]
Old 02-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Loyal Fan

SCHUMI WARNS OF WILLIAMS-RENAULT THREAT
The main challengers of Ferrari's domination [14/02/04 - 01:29]

Six-time world champion Michael Schumacher said Friday he sees Renault and Williams as the main threats to Ferrari's continued domination of the Formula One world championship.

The 2004 season clicks into gear at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 7 following the traditional period of testing for the main teams in the run-up.

McLaren - Ferrari's rivals over the past few years - have failed to shine so far in testing leaving an unimpressed Schumacher with the impression that Renault and Williams are his main threat to a seventh world title.

"I see Williams and Renault are really strong, probably more than McLaren," Schumacher told the Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport. "But it's hard to judge as no-one knows what they are really doing at McLaren."

Schumacher added that McLaren may be keeping their cards close to their chest for the time being. "McLaren aren't setting fast lap times, that's true, but maybe they aren't looking for it," he said. "So it's pointless to talk about these things now, it's premature, we'll have to wait. Williams and us are certainly going better than others, but everything depends on the current tests and on the moment those lap times are set."

Renault driver Jarno Trulli also believes his team are a good outside bet for the constructors' championship this season.

The Italian said: "We could be dark horses for this season. Don't discount us - I am extremely confident. This car was quick out of the box and we have made extremely good progress this week. We've done a lot of mileage and worked on several things. There has been a huge step-up on both engine and chassis, and we are very strong in the long runs, but there is still some fine-tuning to be done for single-lap runs. Williams seems to be very good on low fuel, so we still have some work to get to 100 percent on the qualifying laps."

TOYOTA SHELVED BRAVERY: BRUNNER
'It's still a little early in our history to be too brave' [14/02/04 - 01:46]

If Toyota's evolutionary-new Formula One racer settles in the mid- field this season, Gustav Brunner might rue his decision to shelve design-bravery.

'I think it's still a little early in our history to be too brave,' said the Austrian, who hailed the TF103 is a very clear evolution of its predecessor.

Earlier this year, top-team BMW-Williams unveiled its new FW26 with a radical front-end section which makes best-use of the novel 'twin keel' chassis system.

NEVER CONSIDERED WILD-NOSE

Brunner, whose Cologne-based employers finished last of F1's seven- competing manufacturers in 2003, never seriously considered trying either innovation.

'We're doing minor stuff right now,' he said, 'not re-inventing the wheel. We looked at twin-keel, we looked at the noses, but for now we stay conservative.'

RAIKKONEN'S BETTER THAN MONTOYA
According to Jaguar racer Mark Webber [14/02/04 - 01:50]

Kimi Raikkonen is a better F1 speedster than Juan Pablo Montoya.

That's the belief of another of Jackie Stewart's purported 'top five grand prix drivers in the world today,' Jaguar Racing ace Mark Webber, of Australia.

Webber reckons Kimi, 24, is 'slightly stronger' than Montoya.

BOSS-WEBBER WOULD PICK KIMI

Mark said if he was a team boss, he'd pick Kimi over Colombian Juan Pablo, 28.

McLaren principal Ron Dennis, however, has picked both to head-up his team's title-charge of 2005 after wooing Montoya from current employer BMW-Williams.

'There's not much in it,' the Australian continued, 'and they're both such different characters in terms of how they go about their racing.'

But both aren't on the same-level as Webber's F1-hero, Michael Schumacher. 'They've got a long way to go to get to that,' 27-year-old Webber concluded.

A RACE SIMULATION FOR TOYOTA
At the Paul Ricard HTTT [14/02/04 - 17:34]

The F1 Panasonic Toyota Racing team, which has chosen the Paul Ricard HTTT to be their development circuit, worked this whole week to prepare the coming Grands Prix of the 2004 F1 season, to start next March 7th in Melbourne.

The four team drivers Cristiano Da Matta, Olivier Panis, Ricardo Zonta and Ryan Briscoe, shared the Toyota chassis with one main goal, being to prepare the team in the best way for the first Grand Prix race week- end, which will be held in less than three weeks in Australia.

With this in mind, the team organised the tests in a race week-end format, splitting the days in free practice sessions, qualifying practices and finally a race, completing 75 laps of the 2E(sc) track solution (4,115km).

To complete this very intensive test week, the team and its tyre manufacturer partner Michelin, carried out one full rain tyre test day, on a wet track using the Paul Ricard HTTT watering system, simulating heavy rain: “The tests in these very wet track conditions were perfect and gave us the results we were expecting” said Pierre Dupasquier, Michelin Competition Director. “The winter temperatures though, made the test of intermediate tyres a little more difficult.”

The Panasonic Toyota Racing team is used to test at the Paul Ricard HTTT and knows the great results they can accomplish there when it comes to technical development. But the team also knows how well the track in the South of France can be for the organisation of communication events. That is why the team chose to finalise the Paul Ricard HTTT testing week with two advertising film shooting for Toyota and for Panasonic.

Ange Pasquali (Team Manager): « The four intensive test days at the Paul Ricard HTTT were very successful for the team. Thanks to the infrastructures at our disposal, we were able to work in very good conditions, and even to really organise the days as if we were in a Grand Prix. The weather conditions were very good with blue sky and temperature ranging from 8C° to 18C°. We were able to do a good tyre testing on a wet and very wet track thanks to the integrated watering system of the Paul Ricard HTTT. Since we do not have this opportunity and service on other tracks, we hope to have gained some time on the others…”

[ 02-16-2004: Message edited ²Jens ]
Old 02-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for posting the news Jen.

Have a great holiday Marie!! You are going to have such an awesome time and you are going to have to come back here and tell us all about it.

Just gotta say: [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] that Michael thinks that Williams are going to be a threat!! They are gonna be!! Michael is not gonna know what hits him when Melbourne comes.

It's Elementary my dear Watson
Old 02-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

i have been so MIA that i have about 2 pages of news to catch up on! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

marie: have fun on your holidays, i'm sure the stories are gonna be great! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

yeah, march 7 is lamost here! [img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] linds, jens, bel, hitzi

av
Old 02-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Hi fla and bel [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

I think we will see a race with some exploding engines because of the heat of Australia and the new regulate: Qualifying and Race with the same engine! Especially BAR, they are very fast but I doubt about the solidity!?
Old 02-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Loyal Fan

JEREZ: SATO FASTEST
On an artificially flooded track [14/02/04 - 22:13]

Japanese driver Takuma Sato (BAR-Honda) was the fastest driver today at Jerez, on an artificially flooded track.

Sato finished in front of the two Williams drivers, Juan Pablo Montoya and Antonio Pizzonia. Only three drivers took part in the session organised by Michelin to test their rain tyres.

Jerez - 14/02/04
1. T. Sato - Bar-Honda - 1'25"758 - 102 laps
2. J.P. Montoya - Williams-BMW - 1'26"665 - 89 laps
3. A. Pizzonia - Williams-BMW - 1'28"570 - 41 laps

WILLIAMS TEST ON A WET JEREZ CIRCUIT
Montoya and Pizzonia at the wheel [14/02/04 - 22:22]

Michelin organised a session of wet weather tyre testing for their team partners today.

Williams was there with two drivers, Juan Pablo Montoya and Antonio Pizzonia.

The team covered a total of 130 laps on the wet Jerez circuit, learning more about the new Michelin tyres.

Sam Michael, Chief Operations Engineer at WilliamsF1, said: "Juan Pablo and Antonio started a wet weather tyre test today for Michelin. The circuit was artificially flooded for the duration of the session. Both drivers carried out a number of short runs, Juan in the FW26 and Antonio behind the wheel of the FW25. Tomorrow is our last day here during which we will complete the wet running with Antonio.”

BARRY SHEENE'S WIDOW FLAGWAVER FOR GP
She will wave the chequered flag in Melbourne [15/02/04 - 04:39]

Motor sport legend Barry Sheene’s widow will wave the chequered flag as the winner crosses the finish line in the season-opening Formula One World Championship round – the Foster’s Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

On Sunday, March 7, Stephanie Sheene will fulfil a role her husband had been invited to perform last year but was too ill to do. Two-time world 500cc motorcycle champion Sheene lost his fight with cancer at age 52 last March 10, the day after the 2003 Foster’s Australian Grand Prix.

“I’m not a person who seeks the limelight, but I was very touched when the Australian Grand Prix Corporation invited me to wave the flag at the end of this year’s Formula One race in Melbourne,” Stephanie Sheene said. “Motor racing was Barry’s life and passion and he had been looking forward to this honor last year, but unfortunately he wasn’t well enough to do it. I’ll feel very proud and humble to ‘do the honors’ for him on March 7.

“I was shocked when Ron Walker (Chairman of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation) rang me with the invitation, but it was very touching. It was lovely, and when I had time to think about it I felt a sentimental sense of duty to do it.”

The Sheenes came to Australia from Britain in the late 1980s and settled on Queensland’s Gold Coast. The racing superstar’s huge popularity grew even further through his television commentary, initially on SBS, then Channel 9 and finally Channel 10 when it became the “home of motor sport” in the mid- 1990s.

Sheene was as much at home in the Formula One Paddock as among the MotoGP community. He mingled with all the stars from both sports - many of the younger ones had grown up worshipping him, he was a contemporary of others and just as much admired by older generations for the profile he gave motor sport.

Thousands of motorcycle riders remembered Sheene in a 300km ride last October from Bairnsdale in regional Victoria to the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix at Phillip Island, where they rode a tribute lap. Sheene’s world title-winning Suzuki bikes from 1976 and ’77 were displayed at the Phillip Island track, and thousands of commemorative pins bearing his famous No. 7 were sold to raise money for cancer charity CanTeen.

Stephanie Sheene was delighted at the response then and is now looking forward to playing her part in the Foster’s Australian Grand Prix. So the obvious question is who she expects, or hopes, she will greet with the chequered flag after more than 300 kilometres of racing at Albert Park on March 7.

“I’ve got to say Jenson Button, because he’s the favourite driver of my daughter Sidonie, son Freddie, and I,” Stephanie said. “Jenson’s a friend and it would be lovely to wave that flag as an Englishman won his first Grand Prix. He’s been going very well in testing in Europe (with the BAR team) and Barry would be so thrilled to see him win.

“I’d love to see Mark Webber, the Aussie, do really well, too - especially as he’s racing for Jaguar, a great British name. But I’d also be very happy to see Michael Schumacher win again because he’s just the superstar.”

Stephanie will take her place on the high platform beside the start- finish line in the closing stages of the 58-lap event.

Previous flag-wavers at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne have included Sir Jack Brabham, Alan Jones, Mick Doohan, Peter Brock, Bob Jane and last year Olympic 400-metre gold medallist Cathy Freeman.

FERRARI: A TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW
hey'll be the strongest competitor' [15/02/04 - 04:45]

Ferrari is a tough act to follow, according to a BMW-Williams chief.

'They'll be the strongest competitor,' chief operations engineer Sam Michael said of the Michael Schumacher-led team of scarlet-clad world champions.

Meanwhile, the Australian's boss, technical director Patrick Head, agrees that the Maranello-based outfit, Scuderia Ferrari, is an 'incredible class act.'

He told reporters at his Oxfordshire-headquarters in Grove on Thursday: 'Anyone who manages to beat them will have done a stunning job. I hope it will be us who does it first.'

OTHER TEAMS CATCHING-UP

Other teams, however, are catching up and putting pressure on Ferrari.

BAR's chief race engineer Craig Wilson reckons his team's switch from Bridgestone to Michelin will hurt Ferrari's tyre development a little.

'But they always did most of the testing,' he said, 'so [the effect] might not actually be that huge.'

RALF SCHUMACHER TO VISIT NEW ZEALAND
Prior to the Australian Grand Prix [15/02/04 - 04:53]

Ralf Schumacher is set for a rare visit to New Zealand in March.

The BMW-Williams F1 pilot will be in major-city Auckland prior to next month's Australian Grand Prix to unveil the latest BMW road- model, the 6-series.

He is scheduled to take the wraps off the car on March 1, just days prior to opening his 2004 championship-account on the streets of Melbourne.

Ralf, 28, will be the guest of honour at an exclusive private luncheon in NZ where signed memorabilia will be auctioned, before jetting-off for Albert Park.

Boss of BMW Group NZ, Geoff Fletcher, said it was 'exciting' to have one of the world's 'most recognisable' sporting figures in New Zealand for the launch.

In the past decade, only Mika Hakkinen (2000) and Heinz-Harald Frentzen (1997) have crossed the Tasman to take in the sights of beautiful New Zealand.

BAHRAIN READY FOR GRAND PRIX

Meanwhile, chairman of the Bahrain F1 project Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa reckons the Middle Eastern country is ready to host Formula One.

After a high-level meeting, he said construction-work was ahead of schedule and, according to Gulf Daily News, the race is heading for a 'resounding success.'

* And the organising committee for September's inaugural Chinese Grand Prix has been set-up, according to the country's state news agency Xinhua.

From scene-of-the-race Shanghai, organisers also revealed that the television rights of the event are expected to fetch up to $12 million US dollars.

BRIDGSTONE'S TEAMS OUT IN FORC
Winter testing is almost over [15/02/04 - 15:56]

Bridgestone’s teams have been out in force this week at no fewer than three different test circuits across Europe with all showing good progress.

The Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro team, in particular, has been busy, running at both the Jerez de la Frontera and Mugello circuits in Spain and Italy respectively. And whilst the bulk of the development work has been carried out by the F2003-GA in Spain, it is the recent lap times of the new F2004, in Italy, that will no doubt be drawing the curiosity of rival teams.

Bridgestone Motorsport’s Technical Manager, Hisao Suganuma said: “We have seen some very good lap times in Mugello this past week. It has been encouraging for the strength of the Ferrari car – Bridgestone tyre package.”

The Sauber Petronas and Jordan Ford teams were also in action at the 4.428km Jerez circuit with both conducting essential tyre programmes for Bridgestone. Mr Suganuma was pleased with their work.

“Our teams have been running tyre comparison tests this week and with over 1,800 tyres and approximately 20 specifications to try, they have had their work cut out for them. But, we now have a good indication of our basic tyre specification for Melbourne and we still have next week to make any small adjustments. So far, it is looking promising.”

The European Minardi Cosworth team, meanwhile, has been testing its new car , the PS04B, at the Autodromo Santamonica in Misano, Italy. Said Suganuma: “Minardi had a very productive test in Misano. They were able to find good balance on the Bridgestone tyres with their new chassis and they should be able to further their progress in Imola next week, where we are expecting the latest development tyres from Japan.”

All four Bridgestone teams will test at Imola, where they will resume testing. Ferrari and Minardi will both carry out two days of tests on 18th and 19th February whilst Sauber and Jordan will start a day earlier on the 17th February to complete three days of testing each.

Whilst the 4.933km Imola circuit does not necessarily bear much resemblance to the Melbourne circuit, nor are temperatures expected to be high, it does, however, share similarities to the compound range needed in Australia. Bridgestone’s teams will be able to use this test to confirm their tyre choices for the first round of the 2004 season.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Loyal Fan

F1 HAS SEEN THE LAST OF 'JOS THE BOSS'
After failing to secure F1 drive for 2004 [16/02/04 - 10:38]

Formula One has probably seen the last of Jos Verstappen.

The Dutchman came close to taking his $10 million purse of sponsorship-backing to Jordan but that final vacancy has now been snapped-up by Giorgio Pantano.

Jos's 2003 boss, Minardi owner Paul Stoddart, reckons 'that's it' for 'The Boss' if he can't slide into the full-time line-up within the first few grands prix.

'It's going to be very hard for him, much as I love him,' said the Aussie.

He added: 'But I would not give up on Jos yet.'

'BLOODY GOOD' AT RACING CARS

Stoddart insists that Verstappen is 'bloody good' at what he does and still - after nearly a full decade of F1 racing - has the talent and the motivation.

'He's no fool,' said Paul - 'and [he] knows how to race.'

Verstappen told his website that Eddie Jordan 'didn't want to give in' to his 'fair' wage and sponsor demands and feels hurt by a lack of 'appreciation.'

'I'll continue to focus my efforts on F1,' he pledged. 'It won't surprise me if some seats become available at some point during the season.

'They all know I'm on the bench with some nice sponsors.

'I want the world of F1 to know that I haven't said goodbye.'

WILLIAMS LOSE CHANCE TO LAND BUTTON
Brit pledges future to BAR [16/02/04 - 10:48]

Jenson Button has stomped on claims that his management last week commenced talks with BMW-Williams about a return to the title- charging team in 2005.

He told the Sunday Mirror: 'People keep going on about Williams but I have had no contact with them and I'm genuinely not looking to leave BAR.'

Button, now 24, started his career at Sir Frank's Grove-based squad but he's now under a tight-contract to David Richards' Honda-powered BAR operation.

WANTS TO WIN TITLE AT BAR

He said he wants to win his first championship at Brackley.

'We are building something here,' the Briton explained.

'If I can achieve [the drivers' title] at BAR, it will mean a lot more to me than if I had walked straight into a team that guaranteed me a winning car.'

Meanwhile, JB's admirer - Sir Frank Williams - admitted at his Oxfordshire base late last week that he is about to lose his chance to reclaim the Englishman.

Williams put the speedster under a five-year 'option' contract in 2000.

'It ends this year,' said Frank, who also declared his interest in Mark Webber, 'so unless BAR don't take up their option there's not a lot we can do.'

F1 MIGHT GET AN AMERICAN DREAM-TEAM
Chip Ganassi considers F1 [16/02/04 - 11:01]

Formula One, it seems, might yet get its American 'dream team.'

Racing-supremo Bernie Ecclestone said last week that it would be 'magic' to welcome a 'really strong' American team, with US-born drivers, to the F1 grid.

Chip Ganassi has emerged as a likely catalyst for such an eventuality.

The American entered three cars in the weekend's Daytona 500 and has also put together title-winning teams in Champ Cars and now the Indy Racing League.

HAS GIVEN THOUGHT TO F1

Chip said that on 'some days' he gives thought to a Formula One assault.

'And some days I don't,' he smiled in an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune Review from Daytona. 'I try to focus on what I'm doing ...'

'... but things can change.'

Ganassi admitted that, like the failed F1 assaults of America's Michael Andretti and CART-champ Alex Zanardi, grands prix would be the ultimate challenge.

'It would [also] be the ultimate plane trip every other week,' he laughed.

MONOTYA IN FOR A SHOCK AT MCLAREN
'They have a lot of affection for Kimi' [16/02/04 - 11:07]

If Juan Pablo Montoya thinks all his problems will be solved in a switch from BMW-Williams to top-team rival McLaren-Mercedes, he's in for a bit of a shock.

That's the opinion of Grove's technical boss Patrick Head who last week revealed that JPM made the decision to swap teams after a radio- row at the French GP.

'I think we'll be able to put it all behind us - we're all adults,' Head explained in the run-up to the Colombian's final season at Williams in 2004.

He added: 'Of course, it's a shame he's going but that's Formula One.'

McLAREN FAVOUR RAIKKONEN

Head, the often-gruff and moody Englishman, revealed his belief that Montoya, 28, thinks his new Formula One employers are set to 'pour everything into him.

'Everyone knows that Williams treats both drivers fairly,' he added.

But Patrick reckons what is waiting for Juan Pablo at Ron Dennis' Mercedes-powered team (team-mate Kimi Raikkonen) is not quite what he has in mind.

'They have a lot of affection for Kimi,' said Head.

Another, less likely, option is that McLaren 'change' to accommodate Montoya.

Head told The Sun: 'It will be an interesting change. McLaren are not shy in saying how happy they are with Raikkonen but Montoya is not shy of a challenge.'

WILLIAMS SAY 'NO'
To Ralf's cash-demand [16/02/04 - 11:54]

The game's up, Ralf Schumacher - you're not going to get $24.5 million per year.

That is the sentiment of technical director Patrick Head as he explained BMW-Williams' reluctance to cede the German racer's new salary demands.

Schumacher, 28, knows that with a new five-year agreement with his country's car manufacturer BMW, Williams is clearly under-pressure to keep the German ace.

But Head told The Telegraph that Ralf's demands are unreasonable: 'Frank [Williams] has always been very firm about the limits beyond which we won't go.'

He continued: 'It is partly because of that, that we are still here as opposed to being a statistic in the history of Formula One.'

THE SEARCH IS ON

So, then, the search ensues for at least one driver in 2005, as a replacement for McLaren-bound Juan Pablo Montoya, and perhaps even two in Ralf's absence.

Williams doubts that son-of-a-world-champion Nelson Piquet Junior is ready.

But he added, whilst making no reference to Nico Rosberg: 'He's raced karts since he was 7 and has done 500 races. It's astonishing - a new phenomenon.'

Dumped Jag ace and Williams tester Antonio Pizzonia, meanwhile, is 'very quick.'

But, perhaps significantly, Frank concludes: 'I was surprised by [Mark] Webber's performances last year. He is a great charger, like [Nigel] Mansell.'

TRULLI PLAYS DOWN RENAULT HYPE
And urges caution [16/02/04 - 11:58]

Jarno Trulli has advised the racing world against getting over- excited in the face of recent hype about Renault's imminent assault on the new F1 season.

Heading Enstone's plaudits of the striking R24 car last week were BMW- Williams heads Frank Williams and Patrick Head and world champion Michael Schumacher.

'I see ... Renault are really strong, probably more than McLaren,' the latter Ferrari ace, whilst testing the F2004 racer, told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

But Trulli, team-mate to Renault winner Fernando Alonso, said F1 commentators need to be 'careful' whilst contemplating performance during the off-season.

He added: 'But I think we are competitive, especially on long runs.

FINE-TUNING OVER SINGLE-LAP

'For the single qualifying lap, we still have some fine-tuning to do to get the car exactly where we want, but there is still time left for that.'

Some analysts, meanwhile, doubt if the new RS24-engine, with a different architecture for new rules, will be up to speed with its rivals in Melbourne.

But Trulli insists that the 72-degree powerplant is already 'much better' than its 109-degree predecessor. 'It is also more driveable,' the Italian added.

At Imola this week, the Melbourne-spec 'A' unit will run for the first-time.

* Trulli told Autosport magazine that Renault could be the 'dark horses' to take out the 2004 championship. 'I'm extremely confident,' he added.

MCNISH AND FIRMAN RIDE OUT OF F1
'...but there's no point getting bitter' [16/02/04 - 13:09]

British F1-hopefuls Allan McNish, of Scotland, and Ralph Firman are disappointed about missing out on the final slot on the 2004 grand prix racing-grid.

Ford-powered team Jordan has announced Giorgio Pantano as a team-mate for Nick Heidfeld so McNish, 2003 Renault-tester, is off to race again at Le Mans.

'You never know what's around the corner in this business,' said the 34-year-old, 'but I have to recognise that it's unlikely that I'll get another F1 drive.

'It's been frustrating but there's no point getting bitter.'

FIRMAN EYES AMERICA

Meanwhile, Ralph Firman - the yellow-clad incumbent at Silverstone - has vowed now to turn his attentions to a new category of racing ahead of the new season.

'My first choice would be a single-seater series such as Champ Car or IRL in America,' said the Norfolk, born ace, 'but I'm also interested in DTM.'

He added: 'The Jordan announcement is a setback, but as a professional race-driver you do endure ups and downs from time to time. I wish the team well.'

WRAP-UP OF WILLIAMS' JEREZ TEST
'We believe we’ve made some good progress' [16/02/04 - 13:21]

The BMW WilliamsF1 Team completed a five day test at the Jerez de la Frontera circuit in Spain on Saturday. Team drivers Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher, as well as official test drivers, Marc Gené and Antonio Pizzonia, were all on hand to share testing duties, the Jerez test being the first for Antonio in his capacity as an official test driver for the team.

Under clear Spanish skies, the team spent the first three days concentrating on mechanical and aero set-up work of the FW26 in order to attain as much information as possible before the season opener in Melbourne in less than a month’s time. For the last two days of the test, Antonio Pizzonia and Juan Pablo Montoya carried out intensive wet weather testing for tyre supplier, Michelin.

Sam Michael (Chief Operations Engineer, WilliamsF1): "Today we finished five days of testing at Jerez, the last two in simulated wet conditions for tyre testing with Michelin. During the test, we worked through different traction control items and tyre testing as well as completing some final systems checks prior to Melbourne. Although we experienced some minor gearbox problems during the test, we believe we’ve made some good progress towards solving these. The performance of the FW26 is getting better, and we are now looking forward to the next test in Valencia where we will introduce some new parts weintend to run at the Australian Grand Prix.

Once again, Michelin have done a good job with the dry weather tyres. We have selected one of our tyre choices for Melbourne and we will continue evaluating various compounds in Valencia to finalise our second choice. During the wet tyre testing we carried out in the last two days, we also validated two new wet tyre compounds with Michelin."

Old 02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Loyal Fan

An American dream-team under Chip Ganassi would be great! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Yeah, Montoya and Kimi in one team?! I'm not sure If this goes well! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Loyal Fan

SCHU SHELVES NEW-FERRARI NIGGLE
'No signs whatsoever that we should have a problem' [16/02/04 - 13:40]

Michael Schumacher has played down a reported series of technical niggles on his F2004 model by re-asserting Ferrari's plan to race the new car in Australia.

Italian sources suggested that gearbox and engine dramas whilst testing at Mugello last week had triggered a 'plan-B' of preparing the 'older' F2003-GA.

'There is no reason why we should not use [F2004],' said the 35-year-old German.

He added: 'We are absolutely confident in this regard.

'There are no signs whatsoever that we should have a problem with that - the car is good, it is solid and handles well, it is also faster and it reacts better.'

NO HEAD-TO-HEAD WITH RIVALS

Team-mate Rubens Barrichello, who switched between two older F2003-GA at Jerez late last week, completed a programme of Melbourne-spec tyre evaluation.

He said on Friday: 'Our times might not be fastest, but we weren't far off the others. It's encouraging but we don't really know what the others are doing.'

A spokesman, meanwhile, confirmed that Ferrari will snub the week's busy Imola test meaning that F2004 won't go head-to-head with its rivals before Australia.

ONLY FERRARI RESIST TEST-LIMITS
Says Sir Frank Williams [16/02/04 - 13:45]

Only Ferrari are resisting a proposal within the ten teams in Formula One to cut costs by reducing a 'ridiculous' amount of testing, according to Frank Williams.

The top-team principal reckons a year of testing will cost his Grove- based operation more than travelling and racing at 18-grands prix venues in 2004.

'Ferrari has a test track right outside its factory and they are fighting to keep testing,' he told reporters outside the team-factory in Oxfordshire.

He added: 'I understand that but costs are being driven up.'

DOUBTS GPWC-AGREEMENT

One suggestion to make competing easier for the smaller, privateer- run operations is to allow them to buy complete chassis' from the F1- leaders.

'We don't mind,' said Williams.

So while he sees Minardi making it through the next few years, getting Bernie Ecclestone and the GPWC-group of carmakers to agree is another matter entirely.

'The prospect of peace in our time is very slim,' he Williams who, since 1986, has been in a wheelchair. 'It is not going to be sorted out in a few months.'

'WHO SAYS I'M NOT A THE REAL-DEAL'
Jenson Button believes he is [16/02/04 - 14:08]

Britain's top F1-driver Jenson Button has hit back at the belief of a former double world champion that he is not the real-deal in Formula One racing.

Mika Hakkinen, the retired 1998 and 1999 title-winner, branded the English media's predictions of Button as the next Ayrton Senna as 'ridiculous.'

Button said: 'I suppose Mika's got nothing else to do now he's retired. He seems to have had a go at just about everybody except Kimi Raikkonen.'

The Brackley-based speedster said Mika's attack didn't bother him at all.

'I've got far more important things to think about,' he smiled at the end of last week's test at Jerez de la Frontera during which he was fastest of all.

Button says the new Honda-powered 006 is quick, but not yet perfect.

'We have a lot of work to do before Australia, when the season starts.

'We need to make real progress this year.'

SHEENE TO WAVE CHEQUER

Meanwhile, Stephanie Sheene - widow of the late motorcycling legend Barry Sheene - hopes 24-year-old Button wins the season-opener at Albert Park in three weeks.

'Jenson's a friend and it would be lovely,' said the Australian-based Briton who has been asked to wave the chequered-flag at the upcoming Melbourne F1 race.

WILLIAMS HOPE MELBOURNE WILL LAY THE FOUNDATIONS
For a successful 2004 season [16/02/04 - 14:54]

Fans around the world have less than three weeks to wait before the F1 circus descends on Melbourne. The BMW WilliamsF1 Team drivers are highly motivated.

As the start to a new Formula One season draws ever-closer, the BMW WilliamsF1 Team still has numerous testing dates on its schedule before the first Grand Prix of 2004 gets underway. Both Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya are well aware that a good result in Melbourne and the subsequent races in Malaysia and Bahrain are the foundation for a successful year.

"If you've got a few points in your pocket before coming back to Europe it makes life a whole lot easier," says Ralf. A good result in Melbourne will boost the driver’s confidence in the car and raise his motivation for the next race. Ralf has achieved two podium finishes down under. In ‘99, he finished third for WilliamsF1 and a year later he did the same for the newly formed alliance between BMW and WilliamsF1.

Juan Pablo has enjoyed even more success in the three times he has raced at the Albert Park Circuit, finishing in second position twice in ‘02 and ’03. Last year, eleven laps from victory, a spin cost him the lead. "Fortunately, I still managed to finish in second. As I also came second the year before it would be great to improve and maybe win this year," he says.

The Australian Grand Prix is not only the first real test for the drivers but also for the WilliamsF1 BMW FW26, where in Melbourne it will have to prove itself under race conditions. "The Albert Park track is pretty unique, and quite unlike any other circuit on the calendar," says Juan Pablo, who is looking forward to the season opener. "More importantly, it is very different from anywhere that we test during the winter months so it’s always interesting to see what the new car’s like."

JORDAN AND JOS
''It was a very sad conclusion'' [16/02/04 - 15:00]

Jordan Grand Prix would like to put the record straight regarding the negotiations with Jos Verstappen.

The team had excellent negotiations with Michel Perirdom of Trust and Harrie Mermanns of the Muermanns Group. However the hard work of these two loyal sponsors was undone by the intransigence of Huub Rothengatter, manager of Jos Verstappen, who at all time insisted on taking an exorbitant commission on sponsorship introduced to the team or an outrageous wage. At the same time all requests by the team for Verstappen to have a seat fitting and fitness assessment were rejected.

It is very sad that the commitment of both Trust and Muermanns to providing the driver with an opportunity to stay in Formula 1 were disregarded by his agent.

Eddie Jordan said: 'It was a very sad conclusion. We had a good faith agreement with the sponsors who acted positively at all times and it is not good for the sport for such valuable people to be treated this way by an agent.'

WILLIAMS DOUBTS MIDDLE EAST EXODUS
And other stories making the headlines [16/02/04 - 15:52]

Sir Frank Williams has cast doubt on a threat by fellow British Formula One team chiefs including Eddie Jordan that a mass-exodus to the Middle East is likely.

He said: 'All I know is that the know-how is all in Europe and it has very limited availability. Any good business depends on its people.'

* Williams then poured cold water on suggestions that Juan Pablo Montoya, who's off to McLaren-Mercedes in 2005, won't put in one- hundred percent this season.

'We'll give him a car,' he said, 'show him the track, and he'll get on with it.'

SCHU NOT IMPRESSED BY McLAREN

* World champion Michael Schumacher is not impressed with McLaren's new MP4-19 challenger and thinks Williams and Renault will do a better job in 2004.

'But it's hard to judge as no-one knows what they are doing at McLaren,' said the Ferrari-driving world champion who'll test again at Mugello on the 17th.

* Last year's Sauber car will scream on the streets of Bahrain this Tuesday.

'F1 must become more global,' said team chief Peter Sauber who has dispatched tester Neel Jani for the job, 'therefore I welcome this new race in Bahrain.'

* Jos Verstappen, whose sponsors failed to win him the spare Jordan drive, has declined to back-track on an earlier harsh assessment of former team Minardi.

'I don't want to be the car with the red lantern,' the Dutchman told his website. 'Trailing is not something a driver of my skills should have to do.'

BRIDGESTONE PUT ON A BRAVE FACE
News in brief [16/02/04 - 16:23]

A recently-renewed engine contract with Munich-based manufacturer BMW has not given Sir Frank Williams leave to revel in complacency.

The Briton said: 'We haven't got cosy and bosomy with them. They are tough hard-bargainers. That is why they are such a successful company.'

* Williams, F1 team owner, still admires his 1992 champion Nigel Mansell.

'Every year his name comes up,' said the wheelchair-bound boss - 'a remarkable guy, brilliant driver, amazing; with a great talent. One of the best.'

* Stephanie Sheene, widow of the late motorcycling legend Barry, has emotionally accepted an invitation to wave the chequered flag at this year's Australian GP.

'He was looking forward to the honour last year,' she said, 'but unfortunately he wasn't well enough to do it. I feel a sense of duty to do it for him.'

* Bridgestone is still putting a brave-face on what most commentators consider has been a pre-season defeat to French-based tyre-supplier rivals Michelin.

'We've set some good times in Mugello,' said Hisao Suganuma of Ferrari's private sessions in the F2004, adding that there's still time for fine-tuning tweaks.

BUTTON TAKES ON VILLENEUVE'S ROLE

* British F1 racer Jenson Button is ready to take-on the team-leading role that fired world-champion Jacques Villeneuve fulfilled at BAR- Honda until 2003.

'He was good in that way because he said what he thought,' said JB, 'but I can also be tough and forthright when I have to be. I can give criticism too.'

MINARDI THUNDER ROCKS HUNGARY
A special event in Budapest [16/02/04 - 18:30]

The city of Budapest has been the scene of some exceptional events in the course of a long and significant history, but its residents are unlikely ever to have witnessed anything akin to what took place there yesterday afternoon, when the Minardi F1x2 Team staged one of its most spectacular events ever.

In front a hugely enthusiastic, but well-behaved crowd, estimated by officials at in excess of 30,000, Hungary’s first Formula One driver, Zsolt Baumgartner, gave eight of his countrymen the experience of a lifetime, “chauffeuring” them in the centre of Budapest in one of Minardi’s fleet of eight two-seater Formula One cars.

With the “race track” – a road leading from the city’s famous Heroes’ Square, closed by local police specifically for the event – and a temporary paddock created for them, the team was able to bring the sights and sounds of Formula One to the people of Budapest, as the young Hungarian driver accelerated the F1x2 car to speeds approaching 200km/h. Baumgartner, his 2004 team mate, Gianmaria Bruni, and Minardi Team Principal, Paul Stoddart, then spent more than a hour signing autographs and meeting some of the thousands of fans who flocked to the event to see their newest national hero in action.

It was the culmination of a very busy day, during which team members also participated in a well-attended morning press conference, at which Stoddart confirmed Minardi’s 2004 driver line-up to the assembled media, and then took part in an extended question and answer session along with Baumgartner, Bruni, senior engineer, Andy Tilley, and Hungarian Grand Prix promoter, Thomas Frank.

“It was really great to be able to bring Formula One to the streets of my own city and to be able to share some of my excitement and pleasure at becoming Hungary’s first F1 driver with the fans who came out today,” said Baumgartner at the conclusion of the event. “I have to thank Paul Stoddart and the whole Minardi team for bringing the two-seater F1 cars to Hungary this weekend and also for giving me the chance to realise my dream of becoming a full-time Formula One driver.”

Team Principal, Paul Stoddart, commented, “The team is very pleased to have been able to come to Budapest and to help Hungarian fans get a little closer to the world of Formula One than might normally be the case. Thomas Frank and his team at the Hungaroring always put on a great Grand Prix, but until now, the country has not been able to boast its own F1 driver. Now, Hungarians have both, and I’m certain Zsolt is going to do his fans and his nation proud this year. That, in turn, can only be good for Formula One in general.”

Baumgartner and Bruni, along with other members of the Minardi F1 Team, are in action at Imola this week, as they take part in the final test before the 2004 World Championship season gets under way, in Melbourne, in just under three weeks’ time.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread