Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I want to see more.

Thanks for that. I love that Brian is so humble. How nice that he invited him over.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love watching all their interactions. You can tell that Yuzu is introverted and Javi definitely helped Yuzu to open up ad have more fun.

Yes Brian really us very humble. He never makes anything about himself, it's always about his skaters. I loved watching him at the boards when his students were skating, he got so excited when they landed their jumps and he does their routines with them. He always says that he doesn't have a favorite of his students but I always get a feeling that he seems to have a soft spot for Javi,

I heard in an interview that skaters were contacting Brian and Tracy to see about training with them at the TCC. With Evgenia going there and consdering how much they put into each student with Brian knowing every step of his skaters routines I can't see them taking on any new students. They already have at least 5 senior and 1 junior student so I think that's all they will take on. I'm excited to see how Evgenia does training there and she gets along with Yuzu so that will make thing easier.
New England Patriots Super Bowl LIII Champions

Last edited by Ms Cyatt; 05-17-2018 at 07:15 AM
Ms Cyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

That sounds nice.

Aww. He really is proud of his skaters. I wouldn't know who his fave is, but I bet he has special relationship with all of them.

I'm interested, too. I hope it all ends up well.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It really is nice. Yuzu said that if he's feeling nervous Javi is usually talking about something funny and it helps him relax.

Brian really is so proud of all his skaters. He looked like such a proud father taking pictures of Yuzu and Javi after the competition. People ask him if he has a favorite student and he always says he loves them all equally. That isn't the case with other coaches: Evgenia was supposedly Eteri's favorite which is why I was shocked she left her, Nathan is clearly Rafael's favorite and I always got the feeling that towards the end Marina's favored Merle and Charlie over Scott and Tessa.

I also keep hearing rumors of coaching changes. TSL keeps claiming people are switching to Brian which I don't believe is too. Also I'm hearing rumors of more ice dancing teams switching to Marie-France Dubreuil. She already coaches so many teams I don't now how she can handle more.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

They sound like they support each other.

That must be hard on the skaters when they know their coach has a favorite.

Oh wow. I don't know either. I can't imagine coaching so many skaters at once.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes they do support each other a lot. Currently Javi and Yuzu are in Japan with several other skaters including Evgenia, Carolina, Misha Ge, Tessa, Scott, Evgeni Plushenko, Johnny Weir to name a few. Also some other Japanese skaters will be there including Javi's ex girlfriend which could be weird. I'm glad Javi and Yuzu will get to spend time together before the new season starts.

Yes I can imagine it is hard especially when you aren't sure if your coach would rather see their other student win over you.

Yep and now it's official that Madison Chock and Evan Bates are now being coached by Marie France Dubreuil. I heard that was happening last month but it became official on Friday, Now that makes 10 dance teams she is coaching not including Scott and Tessa. That's an insane amount of people she is coaching.

I've been hearing a rumor and I don't know if it's true or not that Boyang Jin will be training with Brian as well. If that's true it would definitely be a good thing for Jin. He really needs to work on his artistry and getting higher PCS scores. Brian's skaters always get very high PCS scores, both Yuzu and Javi have scored over 98 in PCS scores which is about as high as you can get. Jin already has the technical content so if he can get his PCS to 90 that could his increase his overall score over 4 points. Again I have no idea if this is true it's just a rumor I've been hearing for over a month so I thought I'd share.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

That's a lot of great skaters there!

How old are Chock and Bates? They are definitely not my favorite skaters. Not sure if a new coach can change my opinion.

I guess i wouldn't be surprised. Seems so many skaters want to go with the top coaches.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes there are. Figure skating is very big in Japan so the skaters can make a lot of money doing ice shows in Japan. So it's understandable why they would want to participate in as many shows in Japan as they can. Scott, Tessa, Evgenia and Javi did Stars in Ice in Japan in March and April.

Madion Chock is 26, she'll be 26 in July and Ethan Bates is 29. I have no clue if they plan on sticking around this next quad but this season they should be the #2 US ice dance team.

I wouldn't be surprised either. I can't blame the skaters for wanting to go to a coach who has coached skaters to a lot of success. And Brian has coached a lot of successful skaters over the years. Like I said I have no idea if this is true or not but I've heard many people saying this was going to happen since before the Evgenia move was announced. People claim they saw Jin on a plane to Toronto but who knows. I keep checking to see if this is true but I can't find anything.

Update: Well it looks like the rumors are true and Boyang Jin will be coached by Brian. Brian says they'll be working on skating skills with him very similar to what they did with Javi. He improved drastically so I'm sure Jin will too.

2nd update: It was announced today that Jason Brown will now be coached by Brian and Tracy. Apparently Jason contacted Brian right after US nationals. He's been with his coach Kori for 18 years so this is a huge move.

Last edited by Ms Cyatt; 05-29-2018 at 02:02 PM
Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Thanks for telling me everything. I don't have the time to keep up with it, but I like reading what you have to say here.

I didn't know it was so popular in Japan.

They'll be kind of "old" by the time the next Olympics happens. I just never saw much spark in their skating. That's just my opinion.

Well, that's good for Jin. I am not a big fans of his, so I'll be interested to see how well he does under Brian's wing.

Aww. Wow, that is shocking. I love Jason, though. I'm glad he hasn't given up skating.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Elite Fan

I haven't watched Figure Skating in years! I used to love it though..I think most of the skaters I knew are retired now although I think Michelle Kwan and Scott Hamilton are still skating. I loved figured skating so much that I used to be in the Special Olympics as a kid/teenager and I even won medals for it which I still have to this day.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad you like what I have to say, I usually think I'm rambling. I try to find out what people are up to during the offseason.

Oh yeah figure skating is huge in Japan. I have a feeling Javi is more well known in Japan than he is in Spain. In fact figure skating is so popular in Japan Yuzu is probably the most famous athlete in Japan.

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of theirs either and they will be "old" when the next Olympics comes around. They will probably be the 2nd team in the US next season beyond Zack and Madison and without the Shib Sibs. Apparently there is a lot of depth in ice dancing so who knows what will happen this next quad.

I was hearing about the Jin move for awhile and last week it was finally announced. I haven't been his biggest fan either. Jin has the technical content but he is lacking in the components. At the Olympics his technical score was 8 points higher than Javi's but Javi's PCS score was 10 points higher. Both Javi and Yuzu usually score in the mid to upper 90s in PCS. So I'm sure that's what they'll work on that. I know that both Javi and Yuzu had lots of stroking lessons so I'm sure Jin will work on those with Tracy.

I think the Jin move was great but some people are using it to create drama. Brian gave an interview where he said that he told Yuzu he was going to coach Jin and didn't ask. But before he coached Yuzu he asked Javi if it was ok for him to coach Yuzu. He said Yuzu didn't say anything but he was sure if Yuzu was upset about it he would have heard. Some people are trying to make a big deal out of this by saying Brian doesn't understand Yuzu, it's all crazy.

Yeah the Jason news literally broke the day after the Jin news. This one was quite shocking. Apparently Tracy Wilson really went to bat for Jason. Hopefully Brian and Tracy can help Jason with the quad.

In other skating news: Kaetlyn Osmond will sit out the Grand Prix season. Elizabet Tursynbaeva who was coached by Brian will now be coached again by Eteri. So basically they have switched Evgenia or Elizabet which is going to make things very interesting this season.

Also the ISU has made 2 rules changes: the first is limiting of backloading bonus. I don't have a problem with this one, I wasn't a fan of Alina Zagitova's program last year. They also have passed a rule limiting the number of quad repetition. This one I'm not completely sure of but it was better than the original one of not allowing quads to be repeated at all. I don't think people should be forced to do a quad flip or lutz just to be competitive. That will just lead to more injuries and more splatterfests. Not fun for any of us to watch.

Now I've realized that I've ranted for quite awhile but a lot has happened in the world of figure skating over the past 10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s90sIsTheBest (View Post)
I haven't watched Figure Skating in years! I used to love it though..I think most of the skaters I knew are retired now although I think Michelle Kwan and Scott Hamilton are still skating. I loved figured skating so much that I used to be in the Special Olympics as a kid/teenager and I even won medals for it which I still have to this day.
Wow, that's really great that you won a medal. I've never skated in my life so I could never skate. I used to love Michelle Kwan as well. She was my favorite skater when I was a kid.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Cyatt (View Post)
Wow, that's really great that you won a medal. I've never skated in my life so I could never skate. I used to love Michelle Kwan as well. She was my favorite skater when I was a kid.
Actually I won 3 medals 1st, 2nd & 3rd places and yeah it was a lot of fun, wish I could get back on the ice again it's been years since I've skated I don't even know if I could do it anymore because it's been so long and I also don't think that I have an ice rink where I live. I liked Michelle Kwan too, Scott Hamilton as well is great I actually got his autograph too at one point, but I don't have it anymore I don't think.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I didn't know it was that popular in Japan, but I don't know much about Japan.

I'm bummed that the US doesn't have better ice dancing couples. None of the current people even top Meryl and Charlie imo.

I hope so because I think Jin is boring to watch.

I'm hope so. I love to see Jason and don't want him to stop skating anytime soon.

Well, the new rules seem fair.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't know figure skating was so popular in Japan as well but it really is.

I wish the US had another top ice dance team. It will be interesting to see what will happen in ice dancing this next quad. Lots of the top teams in the world are older so they might not be around much longer. The French team is looking to be the top team but you never know. Maybe am American team will step up.

I agree about Jin. He's a great jumper but not much else. I'm sure that Brian and Tracy will work with Jin on improving his skating skills and his artistry. Brian's skaters usually always get the highest component scores so I have a feeling Jin will improve. Yes I'm happy Jason will continue skating as well. Hopefully they can help Jason get a quad.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new rules. I don't know what they all mean. I tried looking it up on Golden Skate and it was just Yuzu and Nathan fans arguing with each other about who the new rules favor. Someone rescored several recent men's programs using the new rules, everyone's score decreased slightly. They're also apparently going to call people more on under rotations which people seem to be in favor of because it drives people crazy who don't get called on those.

Also in other news 2 Chinese judges have been for bias judging in the Olympics. One in the pair for low scoring the Germans in the pairs event. The other for overscoring Jin in the men's and for low scoring both both Javi and Shoma. This judge had Jin ahead on both Javi and Patrick in skating skills which is just crazy. Though many people have said the real bias judges are from countries like the US, Canada and Russia which are the biggest skating federations. Lorrie Parker of the US has Vincent ahead of both Yuzu and Javi in the free program which is beyond crazy.

Also in other news Adam says he doesn't see himself ever competiting in another competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s90sIsTheBest (View Post)
Actually I won 3 medals 1st, 2nd & 3rd places and yeah it was a lot of fun, wish I could get back on the ice again it's been years since I've skated I don't even know if I could do it anymore because it's been so long and I also don't think that I have an ice rink where I live. I liked Michelle Kwan too, Scott Hamilton as well is great I actually got his autograph too at one point, but I don't have it anymore I don't think.
That's really cool. I bet that was a lot of fun. I'm too young to remember Scott Hamilton but Michelle Kwan was and still is one of my favorite skaters ever. I was sad she never won gold at the Olympics.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I would have thought Charlie and Meryl would have inspired others to start ice dancing. I just hope that the USA does something to try to attract more people to the sport.

I'll cross my fingers for Jin and Jason.

That's tough. Oh, I can't go on other forums either. Nathan and Yuzi fans hate each other and don't like the other skater.

I'm not surprised about Adam. He is getting older and he doesn't have the technical part to skating that he needs to remain competitive.

I heard that Yuzi will be at the Grand Prix.