Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
A lot of people in France speak English anyway.
Some French people speak English well. A quick Google search suggests around a third of the population of France speak English (and a similar number in Italy, Germany, Spain etc.), but I don't think that necessarily means they're fluent. From my experience, although you can sometimes make yourself understood in France (my high school French helps!) there isn't always someone around who speaks good English, even in tourist areas.

I didn't know that Elyes speaks French. I know he has multi-ethnic heritage so I'm not at all surprised, though.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone139 (View Post)
Some French people speak English well. A quick Google search suggests around a third of the population of France speak English (and a similar number in Italy, Germany, Spain etc.), but I don't think that necessarily means they're fluent. From my experience, although you can sometimes make yourself understood in France (my high school French helps!) there isn't always someone around who speaks good English, even in tourist areas.

I didn't know that Elyes speaks French. I know he has multi-ethnic heritage so I'm not at all surprised, though.
From what I've seen, his French is pretty good.

It's been a long time since I was in France, but I found even the workers in the hotel in Paris were not that great. We were staying in a smallish hotel, which could explain it, but we had a hard time asking about anything not directly related to the room.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I mean we can post Google results all we want but that doesn't change the fact that I know multiple people who moved to France (all had spouses relocate for work) not knowing a single word of French beyond maybe bonjour and while they can't go absolutely everywhere alone without difficulty, they're absolutely fine living there. If you're vacationing it's probably different, but when a place becomes your permanent residence you can figure out where you can find people who speak your native language pretty easily. That's probably even easier if Google is right and around a third of the people there know your language.

That said, native English speakers tend to feel entitled to not having to learn a language when they visit or move places, instead of having the "you are going there, people don't have to speak English" mindset, but I think there's a difference between that expectation and just knowing your limits and going places where English speaking people actually are.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Absolute Fan

I only Googled it because I was curious about the stats. I go to France regularly - living only 20 minutes from the Chunnel is very convenient - for a mix of daytrips and longer stays and whether you're shopping, eating in a restaurant or visiting a tourist attraction, there isn't someone around who speaks English that often. My level of spoken French is quite basic (I can order a meal, or ask for directions, but I couldn't hold a conversation with a native speaker - i@m much better at reading French), but I feel very self conscious speaking French to French people - I never know whether to attempt the accent, or stick with my own, sounding like the stereotypical arrogant Brit!

English is used as the common language for most Europeans so a German visitor to France will also need to find someone who speaks basic English in order to communicate successfully. The variety of accents makes such a conversation delightful to listen to!

Of course it's different if you live there. I know someone who has a house in Portugal and they spend around half the year over there, managing everyday life with a combination of learning some Portugese and finding people who speak English. I guess as you settle in and make somewhere new a home - or a second home - you naturally find your own way to deal with any language difficulties.

Anyway, I think Elyes attended an awards ceremony yesterday in LA, so I guess he hasn't moved to France to become a professional wine taster after all!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope the Internet will have any pictures of Elyes' attendance. Especially if he got dressed up.

~Heidi
Old 12-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I hope the Internet will have any pictures of Elyes' attendance. Especially if he got dressed up.
I only saw a selfie that someone who (I think) went with him took of the two of them, which was then reposted on someone else's Twitter account.

Which, of course, I can't find again now!
Old 12-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Elyes rarely does the full-on tux route, but he does look good in a suit

~Heidi
Old 12-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Absolute Fan

He certainly does!
Old 12-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Walter only ranks #8?!?!?
The 10 Best Hackers on TV

~Heidi
Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

If the show had had a proper ending he'd have been higher.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I often wonder how that ending might have hurt Scorpion's status on a lot of things. It's hard to even recommend the show to new viewers when you know what they're in for.

~Heidi
Old 12-21-2019, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I often wonder how that ending might have hurt Scorpion's status on a lot of things. It's hard to even recommend the show to new viewers when you know what they're in for.
Right! Like I would want to tell someone to stop after S3, because that was a good series wrap up in retrospect - but at the same time I adore Florence so much I would hate for people to not meet her. Then again, a lot of people either didn't like her from the start or grew to dislike her, and I wouldn't want to be like "omg you're about to meet one of my favorite character" and then have them tell me she sucks.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

There are some really fun and amazing episodes in S4, but there are also some real stinkers. I think if I had to, I'd tell a new viewer to watch up until Foul Balls and skip the last two episodes. That scene of the team all getting their trophys actually would make a nice series end, even though it leaves a lot of story hanging.

~Heidi
Old 12-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
There are some really fun and amazing episodes in S4, but there are also some real stinkers. I think if I had to, I'd tell a new viewer to watch up until Foul Balls and skip the last two episodes. That scene of the team all getting their trophys actually would make a nice series end, even though it leaves a lot of story hanging.
Yeah, it would! Plus I mean...Foul Balls was so good.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Even the last two eps were great... if you take out the silly (non-existent) love triangle and break up nonsense.

I'm still angry at how it ended!

I agree the team celebration at the end of Foul Balls would have been a lovely way to end it if they really had to cancel the show. Walter's scenes with Cabe in that ep were particularly brilliant.