View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Cyclone139
Absolute Fan

I only Googled it because I was curious about the stats. I go to France regularly - living only 20 minutes from the Chunnel is very convenient - for a mix of daytrips and longer stays and whether you're shopping, eating in a restaurant or visiting a tourist attraction, there isn't someone around who speaks English that often. My level of spoken French is quite basic (I can order a meal, or ask for directions, but I couldn't hold a conversation with a native speaker - i@m much better at reading French), but I feel very self conscious speaking French to French people - I never know whether to attempt the accent, or stick with my own, sounding like the stereotypical arrogant Brit!

English is used as the common language for most Europeans so a German visitor to France will also need to find someone who speaks basic English in order to communicate successfully. The variety of accents makes such a conversation delightful to listen to!

Of course it's different if you live there. I know someone who has a house in Portugal and they spend around half the year over there, managing everyday life with a combination of learning some Portugese and finding people who speak English. I guess as you settle in and make somewhere new a home - or a second home - you naturally find your own way to deal with any language difficulties.

Anyway, I think Elyes attended an awards ceremony yesterday in LA, so I guess he hasn't moved to France to become a professional wine taster after all!