Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A friend of mine was on unemployment for a while and I helped him with the paperwork. I agree - I don't know how people can cheat that system. It's pretty tight.

~Heidi
Old 12-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
A friend of mine was on unemployment for a while and I helped him with the paperwork. I agree - I don't know how people can cheat that system. It's pretty tight.
Right. My boss' argument is that "most people on it don't actually look for work," but you have to report specifically where you applied and give that person's contact information. You also basically have to accept the first job offer you get, and they check! I don't even know how people would even attempt to cheat that other than "hope they don't actually check."

Old 12-05-2019, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Right. My boss' argument is that "most people on it don't actually look for work," but you have to report specifically where you applied and give that person's contact information. You also basically have to accept the first job offer you get, and they check! I don't even know how people would even attempt to cheat that other than "hope they don't actually check."
That is one of the big claims, but I remember we would sometimes try to schedule interviews for the next week, because we already had enough interviews this week, and we didn't want to turn up short.

~Heidi
Old 12-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Absolute Fan

It's similar here, but I think people just have to demonstrate that they're looking for a job. So at my place we often have people who just don't bother showing up for interviews. They use the invitation letter/email as the 'proof', but have no intention of actually trying to get the job. It's so unfair on the people who are honest and decent citizens who are doing everything they can to get back into work.

I hope you're not in this difficult situation for too long, Nicole.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

KFC Fire Log
I remember hearing about this in past years, but never paid much attention to it other than wondering why anyone would want their house to smell like that - at least not for any length of time.

Now that I have a wood stove, I'm tempted to get one just to see what it's like.

Not that tempted.

~Heidi
Old 12-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
KFC Fire Log
I remember hearing about this in past years, but never paid much attention to it other than wondering why anyone would want their house to smell like that - at least not for any length of time.

Now that I have a wood stove, I'm tempted to get one just to see what it's like.

Not that tempted.
That link just took me to the UK KFC website. Now I'm hungry!

I Googled the KFC log though. Not convinced at all by that idea! Even though the fragrance is supposed to be the 'secret blend' of herbs and spices, I think your mind would convince you the house just smells of fried chicken!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone139 (View Post)
It's similar here, but I think people just have to demonstrate that they're looking for a job. So at my place we often have people who just don't bother showing up for interviews. They use the invitation letter/email as the 'proof', but have no intention of actually trying to get the job. It's so unfair on the people who are honest and decent citizens who are doing everything they can to get back into work.

I hope you're not in this difficult situation for too long, Nicole.
It's similar here, but if the unemployment office follows up and the place tells them they offered an interview and there was a no show, then you've legally "refused work" and are off unemployment.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone139 (View Post)
That link just took me to the UK KFC website. Now I'm hungry!

I Googled the KFC log though. Not convinced at all by that idea! Even though the fragrance is supposed to be the 'secret blend' of herbs and spices, I think your mind would convince you the house just smells of fried chicken!
Exactly. And fried chicken after a while smells pretty gross.

~Heidi
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So I was out of town again this weekend, in Queens for a horse race. I started feeling bad that night and drove 11 hours home Sunday feeling awful to discover I had a 103.2 fever (which I think is like 39.6 Celsius?)

Old 12-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow! It's amazing you were able to drive with that kind of fever. I hope you can take a couple of days to take care of yourself and get well!

~Heidi
Old 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have only left my house the past two days to see my horse - who lives about 40 feet outside my house. So I'm taking it fairly easy.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope the horse appreciates your dedication.

~Heidi
Old 12-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I hope the horse appreciates your dedication.
She's actually a bit miffed at me because I've changed her routine but IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, HORSE.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
She's actually a bit miffed at me because I've changed her routine but IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, HORSE.
They never understand that, do they? I've been having a battle royal with my little beasty over brushing her hair lately. But she's starting to develop a few small mats, and we cannot have that. Thankfully, she's going to the groomer on Friday and she's going to get a very short cut. That should help the situation quite a bit.

~Heidi
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's been going from muddy to freezing here, back and forth, and that's prime abscess conditions for a horse. So rather than leave her out 24/7 (with the option to come in when she pleases) we are bringing her in at night, making sure her feet are clean, then leaving her in overnight so she gets at least 12 hours of not having her feet saturating in mud. (When they walk on hard, frozen ground they can get tiny, unnoticeable cracks in the feet, then when they're in mud it can get inside those tiny cracks and form the abscess. So by doing it this way, we're lowering the risk of her damaging her feet while they're muddy.)

Closed Thread   Post New Thread