Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletspuffyfan (View Post)
there's nothing wrong with doing this if you're in love with someone else. you're not being fair to the person you're with.

i always thought that was written so clumsily, because it seemed to me they were coming at it from completely the wrong angle. they seemed to think it was admirable for her to stay with Eddie out of "loyalty" while suppressing her own feelings.

that's NOT admirable though. what it is is unfair. to herself and Eddie. that's not a reason to stay with someone and it doesn't make her courageous- if anything it makes her fearful and weak. I remember feeling so frustrated by some of that stuff, because i kept thinking, wow, they are TOTALLY wrong in the way they're writing this.

we already knew Iris loved Barry because she admitted it in 1x15- and yet we're supposed to support her decision to stay with a guy out of fear of her feelings? that's the kind of wishy-washiness that tends to ruin female characters. it was really awful and completely misguided writing and reasoning. it makes me want to storm into the writer's room and be like "Nope! You guys are doing this wrong- if you insist on delaying this it's going to have to be for a better reason- one that doesn't make her a coward and a wishy washy female!"
I didn't agree with her decision, but I also understood it.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:55 AM
Loyal Fan

the problem is i don't think they understood it. they seemed to think it made her strong, when in reality it was the complete and total opposite.

and that's a big warning sign for the way they write female characters, imo.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletspuffyfan (View Post)
the problem is i don't think they understood it. they seemed to think it made her strong, when in reality it was the complete and total opposite.

and that's a big warning sign for the way they write female characters, imo.
I came into this show with low expectations in terms of Iris and every other female character because of the writing team. They just don't have a good record for writing good females. Actually, most male producers don't.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelala (View Post)
Do you guys think that when Iris finally shows an unquestionable attraction towards Barry it will be when he is with someone else therefore creating yet another road block, further angst and yet another reason to drag out the inevitable??? (and i don't necessarily mean Patty) could be down the road and Barry could be with someone else?? i don't know.. I feel like there will be a distinct moment for Iris
I'm gonna try to answer this as objectively as possible. lol
Tbh, i can't see tptb going through any more women to preoccupy valuable time away from WestAllen. After this Patty phase, i just don't feel there should be anymore females coming in between them. I don't expect WestAllen to get together till maybe S3. But at least get Iris to acknowledge her own feelings. This beating around the bush stuff is working my last nerve. I get storyline dictation, but that ain't working either. lol I don't care if she talks to a stuffed animal, Joe, a priest, or Barry himself. I need a WestAllen heart to heart darnit.

"She's not Iris." is what I'm holding on to. I assume Barry's feelings for Iris are very much intact. Nothing else is making us doubt that. So I'm just waiting [im]pariently to see more sides of Iris West. Its so hard to root for someone you hardly "see" making strides in her journalism work and/or home family life (similar to S1). Not just pop up every now and again, making references like we can read the writers' minds. We're nearing the end of 2A and I'm feeling underwhelmed as far as WestAllen goes. Aside from Patty-gate, we should still get a sufficient amount of scenes to counteract Barry "waiting" for Iris to come around. We should be getting "the crumbs" right now. lol
This ultimately does fall back on tptb and their interest in exploiting all aspects of Iris West. Towards the end of S1, I had such high hopes that they would at least gradually peel back some of Iris' layers; but I digress. I'm gonna try to stick this out through to the end of 2 and see what happens.

Am I asking too much? Wdygt?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Supreme Fan

I don't have a problem with Iris pining for Barry while he's with Patty tbh. That doesn't mean she has to intrude herself into their relationship or "sabotage" it. Better if Iris and Patty share minimal screen time anyway.
They have to rebuild the WA friendship first though. I don't get how her feelings are supposed to come to the surface if he's so distant and barely talks to her. Let Barry be his sweet, adorable self again so Iris can really fall in love with him.

I don't like how they've retconned the Iris/Eddie relationship. I get that she didn't want to hurt him or whatever but she was still conflicted...until the season finale! Then her feelings for Barry seemed to have disappeared or were buried deep again or whatever they are choosing to say to justify the narrative. Maybe having Iris feel guilty because her bf died to save the guy she had more than platonic feelings for would have been too dark for the show...or better, it would have meant they had to invest in her PoV and there's an unwritten rule that prevents them to ever show what's going on in Iris's head.

Last edited by FireQueen; 11-30-2015 at 12:59 PM
Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Absolute Fan

MochaSteel I hear your frustration. I feel it too… I've become a little numb to Flash and the lack of quality storytelling… I mean S1 was good but it also had its really bad moments, its just that S2 is now even worse with more bad than good.

BTW.. I have no idea what this means ??? Wdygt ????

R.I.P Nelsan Ellis.. "Being different gives the world color"
Old 11-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

it means "what do you guys think?" lol
And yes I agree, S2 has been disappointing. Bringing Patty to help pass the time till Iris is good and ready to admit he feelings is not holding its wait. As a matter of fact, Iris is just playing the designated bff/supporter; when suited. Do we even know if WestAllen is still feasible? Considering we haven't even gotten any gradual progression.
Like FireQueen said, have tptb decided to backseat the WestAllen feels for the duration of S2? All I'm saying it sucks to see WestAllen stuck in limbo for so long without knowing for sure if we should wait till S3, S4 or S5???! Grr! No receipts, not even crumbs. lol
Old 11-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

And yes I agree, S2 has been disappointing. Bringing Patty to help pass the time till Iris is good and ready to admit he feelings is not holding its wait. As a matter of fact, Iris is just playing the designated bff/supporter; when suited. Do we even know if WestAllen is still feasible? Considering we haven't even gotten any gradual progression.
Like FireQueen said, have tptb decided to backseat the WestAllen feels for the duration of S2? All I'm saying it sucks to see WestAllen stuck in limbo for so long without knowing for sure if we should wait till S3, S4 or S5???! Grr! No receipts, not even crumbs. lol
Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaSteel (View Post)
i feel your pain. and that's my worry too- i don't understand the "no crumbs" stuff. that's not how these shows usually work. i'd rather know right now if they're not planning to even hint at anything all season long. that would be akin to dumping it completely, imo, but that seems to be what they're doing.

i just worry they're making a huge, unintentional mistake by not continuing to even drop hints, and they may not be able to write their way out of it. unless...they don't even want to? it's just done?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Total Fan

I'm hoping for a scene in 2B where we see Barry/Iris interact in front of Patty, and Patty notices something going on (that is, if TPTB actually allow B/I to interact about something substantial).

If Eddie started seeing their bond in Season 1, why can't Patty start seeing their bond in Season 2?

I'm kind of hoping Wally's presence is going to be the catalyst that brings B/I closer together again (like it did in the New 52).

Last edited by Elektra; 11-30-2015 at 04:38 PM
Old 11-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
I'm hoping for a scene in 2B where we see Barry/Iris interact in front of Patty, and Patty notices something going on (that is, if TPTB actually allow B/I to interact about something substantial).

If Eddie started seeing their bond in Season 1, why can't Patty start seeing their bond in Season 2?

I'm kind of hoping Wally's presence is going to be the catalyst that brings B/I closer together again (like it did in the New 52).
The bolded. I've thought about that scenario too. That would be the best thing to happen since I'm not getting a pulse from Batty. lol They just filling a gap right now and I'm cool with that. Just don't drag that out forever.
As far as WestAllen's interaction, don't you feel like S1 and S2 are basically two completely unrelated seasons. I mean, Iris now knows he's the Flash and that intensity has been taken down some. As far as Iris being his lightning rod, do you think that has been effectively shown in this season?
One moment Iris is aware of how Barry feels about her and the next in S2, somebody decided to press the reset button; sans Eddie. lol Its like we're seeing two different versions of WestAllen in two different timelines. lol Its frustrating. Eddie's death has put a halt to everything and Iris is over there feeling guilty because he's the only man she's ever "loved"?
We should be getting the WestAllen crumbs all over the place. lol The subtle glances, the eye sex, the awkward/adorable body language, the indicative dialogue, the gradual realization... crumbs! All that should be able to speak for itself.

Wally coming on the show, should be our saving grace. lol

Old 11-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't mean to derail this convo..but any ideas for a title
Old 12-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

Given that she's always there for him I think it should be

"Because she's "Barry's support" and "his rock" Candice Patton

Icon by Me
Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireQueen (View Post)
I don't have a problem with Iris pining for Barry while he's with Patty tbh. That doesn't mean she has to intrude herself into their relationship or "sabotage" it. Better if Iris and Patty share minimal screen time anyway.
They have to rebuild the WA friendship first though. I don't get how her feelings are supposed to come to the surface if he's so distant and barely talks to her. Let Barry be his sweet, adorable self again so Iris can really fall in love with him.
YES to all of this. Why can't Iris be jealous of Patty? Showing her jealousy would prove that she DOES have feelings for Barry!!! Get it together, writers!!!! There's a way to do it, w/out being OTT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireQueen (View Post)
I don't like how they've retconned the Iris/Eddie relationship. I get that she didn't want to hurt him or whatever but she was still conflicted...until the season finale! Then her feelings for Barry seemed to have disappeared or were buried deep again or whatever they are choosing to say to justify the narrative. Maybe having Iris feel guilty because her bf died to save the guy she had more than platonic feelings for would have been too dark for the show...or better, it would have meant they had to invest in her PoV and there's an unwritten rule that prevents them to ever show what's going on in Iris's head.
I don't like how they retconned it, either. From what the narrative was in S1, it seems the only reason Iris was w/Eddie in the 1st place was b/c Barry was "too slow", & then he was in a coma for 9 months. Did the writers forget all of this? I also agree that the writers don't know how to give Iris a voice. Even the female writers are having problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
I hope they show this, so Patty can see that she doesn't have a chance.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

New Thread
http://www.fanforum.com/f443/true-no.../#post84205427

Icon by Me
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top