Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 AM
Obsessed Fan

Another random observation: The last person Gunnar slept with on this show was a twenty year older version of Layla Grant.

Good job, Nashville.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville fan (View Post)
Don't have much time to write, but If Avery had had a tail last night, it would have been wagging. TOTALLY Ridiculous writing!!! He couldn't keep his hands off Layla. Yes, he is totally into her (Or at least, trying to making himself think he is.) Stupid, stupid, stupid. And to think that scene with him walking away from Juliette, Cadence, and Noah was probably the last scene we'll see of Javery!!! I can't believe I have wasted 4 years of my time watching this. So angry!!!!!
This is exactly how I feel about Avery/Layla . We've all said it again and again the writing this season has been awful. But to think that could have been our last Javery scene tonight because Juliette goes to the Oscars and Avery is STILL going to be with Layla in the finale.

There is zero chemistry there and Avery now looks desperate and pathetic . Layla whines more than my five year old daughter - and that is saying something.

Noah is mind numbingly boring (Hayden is a treasure though her face when he was talking about the joys of cooking from scratch )

But he saved the day with a wooden spoon so it's not all bad

I thought this episode in general was so boring - how long was Scarlett doing the photo shoot ?

And I literally can't take another second of all I can be is gay Will. Nothing against Chris I love him but again the writing is dire.

The ONLY good thing about this episode was no Maddie.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:37 AM
Extreme Fan

I just don't get the feeling that Avery is so into her. Quite the opposite. I think he's saying the right things and doing the right things, but his heart is very clearly not there. And Layla sees that or else she wouldn't feel the need to manipulate him at every turn.

Juliette was a little more honest when she thanked Noah for being what she needed in that moment but said she had to get back to her real life. He rightly saw that she wasn't really feeling the relationship thing and that's why he showed up at her door.

I watched the last scene with one eye closed and the other squinted, hoping Gunnar would pull away. Of course Nashville hates us so he didn't. Gross.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Master Fan

I wanted to post last night but I was the last poster. Avery is not into Layla at all, he kept rolling his eyes behind her back especially the boyfriend comment while acting like a school boy with a crush while calling Juliette. If I didn't know better I would think Avery is the user in the relationship.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 AM
Obsessed Fan

A third observation.

Why do we need these Magical Plot People?

I mean, I do get that Rayna and Deacon need a marriage counsellor because they're just a disaster, but exactly what was the point of Magical Camera-Girl? Imagine how much stronger that scene would have been if it had played out as a simple conversation between Scarlett and Deacon, or Scarlett and Avery, or Scarlett and Will, or really Scarlett and whomever-the-f¤-ck-you-want-except-Layla? But no, the writers are too incompetent to craft dialog that makes sense, so instead we get a montage that looks like a cheap fan-video resulting in Scarlett bawling her eyes out. Clare's delivery wasn't believable either, and in the past I've been annoyed when she seemingly intentionally deadpans scenes - but here I really cannot blame her. It's Just That Bad.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Echoing everyone who said this episode was boring. Weren't there Maddie/Cash scenes in the sides? It felt like such a relief to NOT have them in this episode.

The writing for the Will storyline is so heavy-handed and borderline insulting to the general viewer. And it's just bad. Just bad bad bad. It felt like PSA hour - and it's a good message but one I feel the general viewer is already aware of. Saw somewhere else where it was pointed out how ridiculous it is that one storyline has a gay artist fighting against persecution, and another storyline where a world-renowned gay artist is singing a duet with GUNNAR of all people, with no interaction with Will at all. Don't even get me started on Gunnar sleeping with Autumn. They must have set out at the beginning of this season to make sure every character is ruined for the sake of drama, because Gunnar and Avery have joined the list in recent episodes.

I was disappointed with how little happened in this episode. I was hoping for more of a breakthrough with Avery and Juliette that would make any possible/hopeful reconciliation in the finale believable, but all we got was Avery acting antsy/jealous while continuing to pander to Layla's insecurity, and Juliette dumping a guy we knew would only be around for a handful of episodes based on who was portraying him. And we may never get another J/A scene again, unless they filmed a suitable alternate ending, which I will not hold my breath for.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
A third observation.

Why do we need these Magical Plot People?

I mean, I do get that Rayna and Deacon need a marriage counsellor because they're just a disaster, but exactly what was the point of Magical Camera-Girl? Imagine how much stronger that scene would have been if it had played out as a simple conversation between Scarlett and Deacon, or Scarlett and Avery, or Scarlett and Will, or really Scarlett and whomever-the-f¤-ck-you-want-except-Layla? But no, the writers are too incompetent to craft dialog that makes sense, so instead we get a montage that looks like a cheap fan-video resulting in Scarlett bawling her eyes out. Clare's delivery wasn't believable either, and in the past I've been annoyed when she seemingly intentionally deadpans scenes - but here I really cannot blame her. It's Just That Bad.

Will could certainly have used a break from "my life sucks because I'm gay" to talk about literally anything else (and add random guy showing up at the house to inspire Will to do the interview to the list of magical plot people in the episode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbcwrites (View Post)
Echoing everyone who said this episode was boring. Weren't there Maddie/Cash scenes in the sides? It felt like such a relief to NOT have them in this episode.
Yup, they were. But not sad at all about not seeing them this week.
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbcwrites (View Post)
The writing for the Will storyline is so heavy-handed and borderline insulting to the general viewer. And it's just bad. Just bad bad bad. It felt like PSA hour - and it's a good message but one I feel the general viewer is already aware of. Saw somewhere else where it was pointed out how ridiculous it is that one storyline has a gay artist fighting against persecution, and another storyline where a world-renowned gay artist is singing a duet with GUNNAR of all people, with no interaction with Will at all. Don't even get me started on Gunnar sleeping with Autumn. They must have set out at the beginning of this season to make sure every character is ruined for the sake of drama, because Gunnar and Avery have joined the list in recent episodes.
Am I spending too much time in my little blue bubble? Does the rest of the country really think like this so overwhelmingly? Sure, I see homophobia with some regularity on TV commentary and in some instances in real life, but not to the extent that some guy is getting pummeled in basic for his father's beliefs or having those beliefs called out as the cause of all evil in his son's world. And even it country music, I thought we were over the hateful commentary except in the most extreme sources. I work and live in progressive liberal'ville so I may just be disconnected.

Quote:
Yup, they were. But not sad at all about not seeing them this week.
What were they supposed to be doing?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Yep, just another example of an episode that could have been great but wasn't due to incompetent writers.

D/R: I would have watched a whole episode of just these two in counseling hammering out their issues. With competent writers, this could have been an intense, raw, emotional roller coaster ride but instead we got them just being mopey and barely cracking the surface of their real issues. Kudos to Chip for acting his little heart out though. And Rayna, you are the only one missing Maddie, we are not!! Did miss Daphne though.

Will: I swear these writers drew up a list of every gay cliche in the history of the world and started checking off the boxes. Again, this should have been a powerful story line and instead it is ridiculous and groan inducing. What a waste!

S/G: Oh Gunnar. I so wanted to reach through the TV and smack you. The photographer was super annoying. I did like the scene between Noel and Scarlett. I would have preferred scenes with the two of them digging down into the issues between S/G. He's been with them long enough and is definitely weary of the whole are they talking/are they not talking. Noel confronting Scarlett about it would have felt more organic.

Luke: The whole Colt thing just seemed pointless. Couldn't Colt have just texted Luke to tell him he was proud of him for defending Will? Did we really need to waste scenes on this?

A/J: Again, all this just seems pointless. If they had stuck with the revenge plot, this could have been a fun story to watch. But instead nobody seems to know where the Hell Layla's head is at. Is it revenge, does she really like Avery, is she just a narcissistic crazy person??? This story line completely devolved into an unfocused mess. And Avery just looks like a moron.

It is so depressing to know that this show could've been amazing with the right writers and show runners. So much talent and potential wasted.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemgo3165 (View Post)
What were they supposed to be doing?
I think there was only one scene in the sides. And Cash wasn't actually in it but just referenced. But they're in NY, Maddie's signed to a label and is hanging out with some people reminiscent of Juliette's 4a entourage who are giving her drinks. The episode was supposed to end on Maddie drinking and going off with these randoms.
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemgo3165 (View Post)
Am I spending too much time in my little blue bubble? Does the rest of the country really think like this so overwhelmingly? Sure, I see homophobia with some regularity on TV commentary and in some instances in real life, but not to the extent that some guy is getting pummeled in basic for his father's beliefs or having those beliefs called out as the cause of all evil in his son's world. And even it country music, I thought we were over the hateful commentary except in the most extreme sources. I work and live in progressive liberal'ville so I may just be disconnected.
I live in a very red, southern state. There's still plenty of homophobia and racism, but most people I've seen who still seem to harbor those beliefs are much more passive about it and even somewhat know they can't just say whatever they think all the time because it's offensive (except maybe in Internet comments!). Most people who still think like this will make errant comments that display their prejudice, but they're not spray-painting people's cars and beating people up over it. I am quite sure those things still happen at times, but it is not an epidemic. This recent episode reminded me of an episode of Dawson's Creek where a gay character was excluded from the prom, and the main characters held their own prom to show acceptance of anyone and everyone. That was in the year 2000 and it was a much more timely message back then.

This arc just seems outdated because the only people paying much attention to an Ann Coulter-like hateful media person are a small faction of zealous people who are still probably too passive to do anything except make nasty comments at their televisions. Probably 95% of the people watching the show are going to agree that these hateful people are wrong and Will is right, so I don't see what good they think they're doing hitting us over the head with this over and over again and not giving Will anything else to do. It's insulting to me as a viewer, especially with Luke spoon-feeding the message to me in his "interview" with The View, as if I don't know this and it needs to be taught to me. There was absolutely no subtlety. It's also just tiring because Will should have come out and dealt with this last season, instead they've managed to make his coming out story last 2 years, rather than give him another storyline.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Agreed. It would have been a good story if Will had stood up for himself, lived his life honestly, and let the chips fall where they may careerwise. He could have found a niche for himself that wasn't only gay cowboys and actually earned a living.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was expecting so much from this episode, but it didn't fulfill my expectations at all. Most of all I'm angry, because this (probably) is the second to last episode we'll ever get to watch and there are still so many issues that are gonna need way more than 40 minutes to be resolved properly.

I can see them writing a decent ending for Luke and his son and also Will. Sure, it might be rushed, but I think next week's episode takes place two weeks after this one, so that would at least give them some time to close this off properly.
I don't have a problem with Luke and his "gay-agenda". In fact, I think most of his decisions in the past episodes were absolutely right and this storyline made me also like him as a character much more. Colt getting hurt while defending him was soapy, but I didn't mind it. I think it will give them an opportunity to grow closer again.
Will (finally) deciding to stand up for himself and the gay community was a good decision too, in my opinion. It was long overdue, sure, but I think it's believable that he's gonna be on some sort of support event for the gay community next week. Maybe not a satisfying ending for everyone, but I think I can make my peace with it.
Also, the speech from the random guy in front of Will's house was really touching, wasn't it ? One of the few things I liked about this episode.

Next off Juliette, Avery, Noah und Layla.
Since I'm not a J/A shipper, I didn't mind Juliette with Noah. I think he's a good guy and he and Juliette weren't too bad together. Just what was the purpose of having him back for two episodes ? Juliette knew that she still loves Avery before she met Noah, so what was the deal of them sleeping together only so she notices that he is not what she needs right now ? I think they should have either focused on J/A working through their issues or on Juliette being a mom. There was no need for bringing Noah into all of this.
Layla and Avery were super-annoying this episode. Both of them ! Avery was acting like a 16 year-old jealous teenager at her album launch party. I get it that he was worried about Cadence, but he couldn't even put his phone down for like three minutes while he was on stage ... Come on !
Also, what is Layla's problem ? The album launch was great. Avery was there with her, Bucky was there, Glenn was there and all she does is complaining about Rayna ruining her life ? Yeah right, that is exactly what I needed in the second to last episode.
I have no idea how they are going to fix ... or maybe only repair this within the finale. Okay Juliette dumped Noah, but Avery still needs to get rid of Layla and then Juliette and Avery still need to talk and that's gonna take a lot more time than they have in one episode. Sorry J/A fans, but there is no way I can see the two of them getting back together. I think them being on friendly terms with each other again, deciding to raise Cadence together is all we're gonna get.

Before I go on with my rant, a quick positive note. Seeing Sam with Elton John was so great ! Actually seeing Sam "fangirling" about getting to sing with EJ was the best part of it I loved the song, but they could've cut it a bit shorter in favor of the other scenes in that episode. Still, great to have had EJ on the show !
Okay, where was I ? Scarlett and Gunnar. First of all, Clare was great in her scenes with the photographer ! It was sad (or ridiculous ? I can't decide ) that it took a random photographer to make her admit her feelings for Gunnar. I mean, it's not like we all knew that since season 1, but okay ... I'm just glad she finally admitted that. Love that they used I Will Never Let You Know and that footage to show how she slowly gave in to her feelings. I didn't like Gunnar sleeping with Autumn AT ALL. I never thought he'd actually go there. A kiss and Gunnar immediately telling her off would've been one thing, but him actually doing the deed with her ? Nope. Just no.
I care about S/G, I really do, but Gunnar doing what he did last night made it hard for me to still believe in them as a couple. I almost want to say that I don't want them to get back together in the finale, because there is no way that it will be believable, but I think S/G fans take what they can get, right ?

Okay, last but not least. Rayna and Deacon. First of all, I like the therapy idea. They really do need it, but it happens way too late. They should've gone to a therapist together after the car crash in season one, but who am I telling this ? Now was definitely not the right time to do it. At least not with the show ending after this season.
I hated how they only touched upon some of the issues between them, but never really went deeper, beneath the surface. Like some of you already mentioned, the scenes that were in the sides were so much better, much more intense. I don't know why they decided to completely change that. Probably because they needed more time for Gunnar praising Elton John and Layla whining about not being the priority. But back to the therapy session. Yes, I loved what Deacon said about Rayna. That she's everything to him, that he's afraid to lose her again ... The thing is, we already knew that. Deacon has always been very open about his feelings, especially his feelings for her. He's also been blaming himself for everything he's ever done and I've had about enough of this. I want Rayna to finally take some responsibility for her actions as well. For keeping Maddie from him for so long, for keeping him close to her all those years even though she probably knew how hard it was for him. We didn't get any of that. Instead, Rayna blocked all "accusations" the therapist made, she didn't let Deacon finish a sentence and when they got home she only talked about Maddie. I want her to think about that question the therapist asked them and then tell Deacon what she feels for him, why she has kept him in her life all these years and what she gets out of this relationship, their marriage.
Again, one episode will hardly be enough to cover all that. Adding the Maddie-issue to it, we'll probably get some rushed 1 minute scenes and then we'll never see them again.

Certainly not the ending the fans, the characters and the actors deserved.
As a R/D fan though, I'll take what I can get. One more kiss, one more "I love you" ... I just wish they didn't have to squeeze all that in one episode.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy1993 (View Post)
I care about S/G, I really do, but Gunnar doing what he did last night made it hard for me to still believe in them as a couple. I almost want to say that I don't want them to get back together in the finale, because there is no way that it will be believable, but I think S/G fans take what they can get, right ?
I shipped those kids hardcore since the pilot and for me they are dead and buried. Nothing can set this right ever again.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
I shipped those kids hardcore since the pilot and for me they are dead and buried. Nothing can set this right ever again.
Is there any hope, even just a tiny ray of hope that he changed his mind at the last minute and told Autumn he couldn't be with her? I am so hoping, but Gunnar has kinda' always been the type of person who thinks with....well, not with his brains....if you get what I'm saying. I always hoped G/S would be end game.

Last edited by nashville fan; 05-19-2016 at 05:55 PM Reason: change wording so as not to insult