Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Master Fan

Okay ao what if they had asaumed it would end and olannes for that then they got picked up...then what? There would be no story left to tell.

I can promise you this was no tactic. The CW has never treated this show with the same respect it did others.

Waaaaaayyyyy back before they started filming season four, several cast and crew replied to fans when asked how many episodes they were doing and they said "16...for now" and "16 with a possibility of more later" etc. The CW had been telling them this was possible from the get go. They were screwing with them because they weren't sure yet what kind of new shows they would have coming in and held onto it just in case they didn't get enough new ones sent to series.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

^ Exactly. Until the network officially let them go, they couldn't just assume that it was the end. They had to leave room for the story to move forward.

Sadly, I think that is an accurate assessment of what happened. The network led them on. This is not some tactic to make us feel sympathize with them.

I've sometimes complained myself about the pacing on tv shows - especially CW shows. But I imagine that pacing and planning out a story arc over a season is pretty difficult when you're not sure exactly how many episodes you are going to get and you don't know if you will get more seasons.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Absolute Fan

There is a difference between leaving room open for a new season and having no resolution at all. You can still have stories resolve while still leaving room for possible new season content. This is not the only show who's had to deal with last minute cancellation/renewal decisions, heck, some shows are in even worse positions of having their decisions handed down after filming and everything is done so they didn't even have time to change yet their finales wasn't as shoddy as this.

JEFFREY MACE|PATRIOT

Last edited by BryceLarkinFanForever; 06-20-2017 at 11:01 PM
BryceLarkinFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Of course they're not the only show to fact this situation, and I'm not saying there aren't things they could have done better - at least to give us a little more resolution in French Court. I just don't think it's fair to call what they gave fans "shoddy." At the end of the day, I believe they did their best, and they managed to give their main character a beautiful ending. That's much more than many shows are able to do. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
Of course they're not the only show to fact this situation, and I'm not saying there aren't things they could have done better - at least to give us a little more resolution in French Court. I just don't think it's fair to call what they gave fans "shoddy." At the end of the day, I believe they did their best, and they managed to give their main character a beautiful ending. That's much more than many shows are able to do. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Agree 100%
Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

I get being sad and disappointed. I just don't get anyone being upset with the writers or production team over any of it. Life's too short to be angry about what we didn't get. The writers wanted us to see the full story more than anyone. The show wasn't perfect by any means, but I choose to simply be grateful for the moments that brought me joy.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I get being sad and disappointed. I just don't get anyone being upset with the writers or production team over any of it. Life's too short to be angry about what we didn't get. The writers wanted us to see the full story more than anyone. The show wasn't perfect by any means, but I choose to simply be grateful for the moments that brought me joy.
Agree once again.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

^

Our first Friday without Reign. How's everyone doing?
Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Master Fan

Interesting how ff went down right when Reign would have been on. Ff gave it a moment of silence.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Yes it did. was silent all weekend! SO HAPPY IT'S BACK UP! I was getting a bit worried.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

I recently watched the season finale of the originals. Same network, writers didn't know if the show was going to be renewed but tied a story so well and it would have been perfect as a series finale. It made me sure Reign ending was simply bad. I feel kind of empty, we'll on move on but it was a precious show
annie1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Well... to be fair, the story lines and characters in The Originals are completely fictional. They can do whatever the heck they want. With Reign, they are dealing with real historical events to incorporate within a pretty rigid timeline, and a very SPECIFIC ending (Mary's execution) that they knew they wanted in their finale. It is more difficult to tie things together when you have those constraints and you don't know for sure if you're going to be renewed. If you think Reign's ending was bad, that's simply your opinion. I know many fans (myself included) who enjoyed it very much - especially Mary's ending. As for the other characters - I'm disappointed that we didn't get more closure, but there was nothing that fan fiction (or a Catherine de Medici spin-off) couldn't fill in. I'm content with that.

Last edited by kerbear28; 06-26-2017 at 03:15 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Extreme Fan

It's hard to ever accept the end of a show that you love.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

^ So true, Stephen. None of us wanted it to end.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Well... to be fair, the story lines and characters in The Originals are completely fictional. They can do whatever the heck they want. With Reign, they are dealing with real historical events to incorporate within a pretty rigid timeline, and a very SPECIFIC ending (Mary's execution) that they knew they wanted in their finale. It is more difficult to tie things together when you have those constraints and you don't know for sure if you're going to be renewed. If you think Reign's ending was bad, that's simply your opinion. I know many fans (myself included) who enjoyed it very much - especially Mary's ending. As for the other characters - I'm disappointed that we didn't get more closure, but there was nothing that fan fiction (or a Catherine de Medici spin-off) couldn't fill in. I'm content with that.
Exactly. Fiction makes it easier... Plus I actually disagree about the Originals Finale. I think it would have made a terrible ending.