Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
wouldn't be surprised if trump becomes the president next. the world is turned upside down
If that happens, we'll just have to wait about 5 mn before he gets into a d*** contest with Putin and here we go for another war

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 06-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

So sorry for you both, Lauren and Jame.

I can't say I know much about UK politics but the fallout of the vote is absolutely insane! And the effect it has on other countries as well is not good for anyone.

Why'd they decide to call a vote to stay or leave anyway?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
If that happens, we'll just have to wait about 5 mn before he gets into a d*** contest with Putin and here we go for another war
Trump and Putin are having a bit of a bromance right now (Trump has also expressed admiration for Kim Jong-un), but I don't think anybody knows what he'll do if actually elected. Which right now doesn't look likely, but November's still a long time off.

Meanwhile you have La Penn in France calling for the same stuff, right? Leaving the EU, banning immigration, etc. Seems like the far right is gaining strength everywhere.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOT (View Post)
The youth are pissed off, 75% of 18 to 24 year old voted to remain, apparently my voting to stay puts me in the minority in my age group. And some leave voters are already regretting their decision, did they not appreciate how a Brexit vote would affect the markets.
Lol bb, how old are you? From the stats I've seen the majority of those under 40 voted remain.

Quote:
51.9% isn't much of a mandate for those celebrating. I think it should have been a clear majority to leave, a minimum 10%, not barely half the country and what about the 28% that didn't vote, how many of them are regretting their decision not to vote this morning?
Agree. It's too close. I was reading this this morning so maybe there's some hope for future law changes regarding referendum results but that seems to be all we can do for now. Why we didn't think about this before having the most important vote of our lives I have no idea.

Quote:
If we are not European then what are we?
Well we're still European in much the same way Switzerland are, Turkey are and any other non-eu European country, but we've lost any sway any power, the free market, co-operation and freedom of movement with the majority of nations around us. Yeah ok, we get full control over ourselves but at what cost?

Quote:
As much as I don't want to see it happen, fair does to the Scots if at the next referendum, and considering this result there does need to be one, they vote to leave the Union. Not that that would bother many of those English who voted to leave EU.
In 2014 I was dreading a Scottish leave because it would mean making Britain weaker economically, which we don't need when we're trying to recover from a recession already, but now we've gone and shot ourselves in the foot anyway I'm all for Scotland leaving. They shouldn't have to suffer because we ****ed up. Their vote was unequivocal, they wanted to stay and should be allowed to.
Quote:
Why'd they decide to call a vote to stay or leave anyway?
Basically because of the pressure being put on the Tories by our most predominant and ever increasing in popularity far, far, right wing party UKIP (UK Independence party - clue is in the name). David Cameron foolishly thought he could gamble on having a referendum gain back the support from those defecting voters and MPs from UKIP and win with remain. He also thought he could win the referendum and then go to the EU and demand more control for Britain, in much the same way Scotland did after their referendum, thus in theory making Britain stronger within the EU. Only problem is remain lost, so Cameron placed the whole of the nation on remain, rolled the dice and lost everything, and instead of taking any responsibility for it and stepping up with a country that now more than ever needs leadership - he's bailed. I used to think Cameron was a smarmy numpty, now I think he's the worst thing to have ever happened to Britain. A breaking up with the EU and a potential breaking up of the home nations would have been unthinkable when he came into power 6 years ago, yet here we are.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

None of this sounds good. So sorry guys.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
Lol bb, how old are you? From the stats I've seen the majority of those under 40 voted remain.
Sadly I left that age demographic a number of years ago, I'll be 48 on Friday! Maybe those over a certain age shouldn't have been allowed to vote! Over 65's 64% voted to leave, 20 years time Europe falling to pieces, it's okay they won't be....... Very ageist, sorry, humph. Would allowing 16 and 17 year old's to vote, as they did in the Scottish referendum, have made any difference to the overall result. Considering the Remain Leave split in the 18 to 24's it would have been far closer.

Quote:
Agree. It's too close. I was reading this this morning so maybe there's some hope for future law changes regarding referendum results but that seems to be all we can do for now. Why we didn't think about this before having the most important vote of our lives I have no idea.
Maybe Cameron never believed he'd lose the vote so wasn't concerned that the referendum would be lost by such a small majority. As a Europhile I now have no representation in European matters. Thanks DC.

Quote:
Well we're still European in much the same way Switzerland are, Turkey are and any other non-eu European country, but we've lost any sway any power, the free market, co-operation and freedom of movement with the majority of nations around us. Yeah ok, we get full control over ourselves but at what cost?
True, I still think some Brits, especially the English, see us as something outside of Europe. I've spoken to some people and their beliefs boggle my mind!

Quote:
In 2014 I was dreading a Scottish leave because it would mean making Britain weaker economically, which we don't need when we're trying to recover from a recession already, but now we've gone and shot ourselves in the foot anyway I'm all for Scotland leaving. They shouldn't have to suffer because we ****ed up. Their vote was unequivocal, they wanted to stay and should be allowed to.
It really is such a sad state of affairs. Should Scotland leave the Union I just hope that their economy doesn't suffer, because if it did then we'd never hear the end of it from those that campaigned to leave, even if their failed economy had nothing to do with them remaining in Europe.

Quote:
Basically because of the pressure being put on the Tories by our most predominant and ever increasing in popularity far, far, right wing party UKIP (UK Independence party - clue is in the name). David Cameron foolishly thought he could gamble on having a referendum gain back the support from those defecting voters and MPs from UKIP and win with remain. He also thought he could win the referendum and then go to the EU and demand more control for Britain, in much the same way Scotland did after their referendum, thus in theory making Britain stronger within the EU. Only problem is remain lost, so Cameron placed the whole of the nation on remain, rolled the dice and lost everything, and instead of taking any responsibility for it and stepping up with a country that now more than ever needs leadership - he's bailed. I used to think Cameron was a smarmy numpty, now I think he's the worst thing to have ever happened to Britain. A breaking up with the EU and a potential breaking up of the home nations would have been unthinkable when he came into power 6 years ago, yet here we are.
It isn't a defence of them ****ers, but I don't see them as far far right, though they do have some very unsavoury characters within their ranks, who they don't seem to try too hard to distance themselves from, so maybe what I just said isn't true. Fa***e the cabbage, it rhymes you know well it is how I say it. Sorry that's an insult to cabbages and I so said I wasn't going to get personal.

As many of my formative years were under the tutelage of one MT she will always remain, Lauren I'll leave you to fill in any negative, foul adjectives you wish etc etc

In some ways sovereignty is something of a sham as a lot of the power remains within such bodies as NAFTA (North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement, I think). The corporations see something they don't like, "Oh no you can't do that it's against free trade". Maybe that is something of an oversimplification but it is still there.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Sadly I left that age demographic a number of years ago, I'll be 48 on Friday! Maybe those over a certain age shouldn't have been allowed to vote! Over 65's 64% voted to leave, 20 years time Europe falling to pieces, it's okay they won't be....... Very ageist, sorry, humph. Would allowing 16 and 17 year old's to vote, as they did in the Scottish referendum, have made any difference to the overall result. Considering the Remain Leave split in the 18 to 24's it would have been far closer.
Oh that's awesome! For some reason I assumed you were under 40 my apologies! I vehemently disagree that people over a certain age shouldn't be allowed to vote, even if I entirely disagree with how they vote. It would have been better I agree if we had extended the vote to 16/17 year olds. It might have changed nothing, but we'll never know.

Quote:
True, I still think some Brits, especially the English, see us as something outside of Europe. I've spoken to some people and their beliefs boggle my mind!
Yep that's totally true. If we weren't an island we probably wouldn't feel as separate as we do, and lbr there's also an air of superiority that we're somehow better than the rest of Europe which simply is not true and never has been. It's quite worrying that it's becoming a primary factor for so many people when it comes to deciding how they vote.

Quote:
As many of my formative years were under the tutelage of one MT she will always remain, Lauren I'll leave you to fill in any negative, foul adjectives you wish etc etc
Well unfortunately I don't have first hand knowledge of what it was like during Maggie T's time in office (being born in 89) however I grew up with my Father loathing her and blaming her entirely for the UK's loss of industry, while my Mum is a staunch conservative through and through, so I've heard both good and bad yet there's no way I think she left Britain in more of a worse place at the end of her time in office than David Cameron.

And yeah I know I need to stop being so negative, but the results have just been really difficult to come to terms with - especially now we are being told there is no Brexit plan, and that all the promises they made during the campaign were only "possibilities", aka they lied through their teeth and now have no idea what to do. It's just a ****ing joke.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So sorry to hear about all this mess, guys
Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
Especially now we are being told there is no Brexit plan, and that all the promises they made during the campaign were only "possibilities", aka they lied through their teeth and now have no idea what to do. It's just a ****ing joke.
Unfortunately that sounds like something a lot of politicians do.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
So sorry to hear about all this mess, guys
same. sending much love to all the brits here

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 06-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I apologize for not posting much over the weekend, guys, I was catching up with real life and reading

Hope the week started well for all of you I'm still coughing
Old 06-28-2016, 03:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'd happily take your cold Ju! I would love to get sick and take some time off work.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks guys the worst thing right now is the dramatic increase in hate/race crime. It's truly abhorrent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Khaleesi~ (View Post)
I apologize for not posting much over the weekend, guys, I was catching up with real life and reading

Hope the week started well for all of you I'm still coughing
Aww Ju, *sending well wishes to you* I hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Thanks dear

Quote:
I'd happily take your cold Ju! I would love to get sick and take some time off work.
It's not a cold, it's allergies
Old 06-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh allergies suck. Hope they ease up!