Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
It was so good!! It almost felt like it was too short because it just FLEW by and I stg I was in a complete trance after it ended. Just like ... wow. Incredible. If it doesn't get nominated and win every single award, it'll be the crime of the century. Rooney and Cate were so perfectly cast it's unbelievable.

I know it's not a competition, but IMO this is p much one of, if not the BEST LGBTQ movie I've ever seen. It's the first LGBTQ movie, for me, that I actually rank higher than my personal fave (The Children's Hour). Ugh. I love it. I love it so much. I want to see it again and again and again.
I'm so glad you weren't disappointed. Going off the reviews alone it sounds like the greatest lgbt movie ever made, but I've built this film up so much in my mind (and I've seen so many clips, so many spoilers) that I fear I'm going to come away either, not liking it, or feeling indifferent to it which would be a nightmare after waiting all this time for it.

And your icon is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKolla (View Post)
Did you guys read Carol/prince of salt already? Should I buy it before seeing the movie or... ?

How "easy" is it to read?
YES READ IT. It's a fairly short book, you could get through it in a day if you powered through. And it's pretty easy to follow, though there are a few times where I have to pause and re-read a section because everything is told from Therese's pov making Carol so elusive that it is often difficult to get a grip on what Carol is really feeling in any particular moment, and I'd have to pause and be like "why did she just say/do that?" THE HECK CAROL!? Carol can be quite cold at times, or at least Therese thinks so at points, so be prepared for that.

Last edited by Scully_fan; 11-24-2015 at 04:34 AM
Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I'm so glad you weren't disappointed. Going off the reviews alone it sounds like the greatest lgbt movie ever made, but I've built this film up so much in my mind (and I've seen so many clips, so many spoilers) that I fear I'm going to come away either, not liking it, or feeling indifferent to it which would be a nightmare after waiting all this time for it.
I was so afraid that I'd hyped myself up for it too much, but it was still so amazing. Even all of the scenes from the trailers/clips, they just seemed so much better seeing them on the big screen. And I was literally giddy at the ending, even though I knew exactly what to expect; it was magnificent.

Quote:
And your icon is beautiful.
Thank you!
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Moderator Support Team

Dp
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I was so afraid that I'd hyped myself up for it too much, but it was still so amazing. Even all of the scenes from the trailers/clips, they just seemed so much better seeing them on the big screen. And I was literally giddy at the ending, even though I knew exactly what to expect; it was magnificent.
That sounds exactly the way I hope to feel after seeing it.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
That sounds exactly the way I hope to feel after seeing it.
Hopefully you'll get to see it soon!
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Hopefully you'll get to see it soon!
It was so beautiful. I've been feeling emotional for hours - I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever stop feeling emotional. All the awards should be thrown at this movie, it's srsly worth them all. Rooney especially for me was outstanding. Cate was as well... but I really just felt Rooney lived and breathed Therese in a way I didn't quite feel with Cate as Carol, but that might be because I'm so much more used to Therese from the book, and I could see book Therese in Rooney's performance. I don't even know what to say about it, or maybe where to start, it was perfect film-making.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
It was so beautiful. I've been feeling emotional for hours - I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever stop feeling emotional. All the awards should be thrown at this movie, it's srsly worth them all. Rooney especially for me was outstanding. Cate was as well... but I really just felt Rooney lived and breathed Therese in a way I didn't quite feel with Cate as Carol, but that might be because I'm so much more used to Therese from the book, and I could see book Therese in Rooney's performance. I don't even know what to say about it, or maybe where to start, it was perfect film-making.
You saw it!!! I told you it was amazing and that no amount of hype could lessen how amazing it was, in any way at all!!

I haven't stopped thinking about the film since I saw it. I can't wait until it's showing at somewhere closer to me so I can go see it a million more times again. IA that Rooney is ****ing outstanding, but I think Cate is amazing too -- she's got an air of untouchable-ness about her that I think fits Carol PERFECTLY. But seriously, Rooney really IS Therese, completely.

Greatest film of all time, p much.

It would be Carol, in a thousand cities, a thousand houses, in foreign lands where they would go together, in heaven and in hell.
x
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
You saw it!!! I told you it was amazing and that no amount of hype could lessen how amazing it was, in any way at all!!

I haven't stopped thinking about the film since I saw it. I can't wait until it's showing at somewhere closer to me so I can go see it a million more times again. IA that Rooney is ****ing outstanding, but I think Cate is amazing too -- she's got an air of untouchable-ness about her that I think fits Carol PERFECTLY. But seriously, Rooney really IS Therese, completely.

Greatest film of all time, p much.

http://45.media.tumblr.com/2e24ae661...wagxo1_500.gif
http://49.media.tumblr.com/a7c654e7f...wagxo2_500.gif
It would be Carol, in a thousand cities, a thousand houses, in foreign lands where they would go together, in heaven and in hell.
x
Yeah the hype is all true, all of it. I'm glad to know you can't stop thinking about it because it's been 24 hours now and I still keep getting teary eyed about it. idk. There's something so shattering about the whole thing. There were times when the emotions were so heightened that I actually gasped. Carol pleading with Therese to ask her things was perhaps the first time that happened. Also I have to mention the love scene because that was.... that was more than I was expecting to say the least. I'd seen some people and reviewers complaining about it and I'm just like ??? !!! ??? did they see the same thing I did? They burned up the screen when they finally got down to it. (And I cannot wait for all the GIFs when it's finally out there because omg )

I need to see it again. I could go right now but I'm not sure it's wise to go two days in a row. The only slightly negative thing I could say about my experience was that I was so giddy that I was finally actually sat there watching it, that I didn't feel fully involved for the first 30 mins, but that's not the films fault, that's on me.

And ngl I was irked that the above GIFs had been spoiled beforehand, but seeing it in action onscreen within context, is something else entirely. I'm so ****ing in love with Rooney's/Therese's expression from the moment she sees Carol across the room that I can't even deal with it.

Greatest film of all time? Idk, but greatest lesbian film of all time without question, and the best film of the year for sure. Maybe the best film of the last decade. I'm trying to think what I've enjoyed more and it's a short, short list.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
And ngl I was irked that the above GIFs had been spoiled beforehand, but seeing it in action onscreen within context, is something else entirely.
Totally. Going in I was like, oh, man, I can't believe they spoiled the ending shots for it. But when I finally saw it play out on screen, I was so ****ing giddy my heart was nearly beating out of my chest!

Quote:
There were times when the emotions were so heightened that I actually gasped.
You know when Therese first cries, on the train? My god, it had been spoiled in every single trailer, but seeing it there, in context, I actually teared up myself. You're right, everything is so heightened -- but never melodramatic or done too much, never -- it feels as if you're really watching real people's lives and so much is at stake.

And yes, the love scene was amazing. When Carol says "My angel, flung out of space", I felt my soul leave my body.

Quote:
Greatest film of all time? Idk, but greatest lesbian film of all time without question, and the best film of the year for sure. Maybe the best film of the last decade. I'm trying to think what I've enjoyed more and it's a short, short list.
There's plenty of films I've enjoyed, ones that are my favorite, but in terms of quality, content, acting, etc? I think for me Carol is one of the greatest films of all time, only really up there with The Children's Hour.
S T A R D U S T
Old 12-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Addicted Fan

CBS is the worst channel... ! Where is the premiere date for poi?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 12-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Where is the premiere date for poi?
wish I knew. apparently, we have to wait til summer

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 12-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura hollis (View Post)
wish I knew. apparently, we have to wait til summer
The worst channel ever. Is their schedule completely full? Why couldn't they put poi back to its usual spot?

I don't want to wait until summer... What the actual ****?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

it's full and it's a joke. they have way too many shows and unlike other networks, they haven't cancelled any show this fall. they gave supergirl and code black reduced orders but other shows are going to replace them in march/april (like a ****ing criminal minds spinoff). we likely won't get to see season 5 before summer unless one of their new mid-season shows tank.

OTOH, season 4 is supposed to launch dec 30th on netflix so that's something.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 12-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh CBS I did not watch all 4 seasons in a month just for you to dick around with POI now.
Quote:
Totally. Going in I was like, oh, man, I can't believe they spoiled the ending shots for it. But when I finally saw it play out on screen, I was so ****ing giddy my heart was nearly beating out of my chest!
LOL same idk I was struggling to talk to my friend after it ended I was just so emotional about it. It was that thing when you try to speak but you know if you do you'll burst into tears, yep that was me.

I'm seeing it again tomorrow and I'm hoping I'll be able to watch and take it in a bit better without collapsing into a fangirl mess this time.

Quote:
And yes, the love scene was amazing. When Carol says "My angel, flung out of space", I felt my soul leave my body.
The whole scene is a gift from the heavens. It feels so pervy to say it, but I could watch it over and over.