Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Master Fan

I'm not too thrilled with anything this season tbh because it's all a giant roundabout distraction from almost everything good about S1. I feel like Chloe has been broken umpteen times just to prove that ~popular girls have issues too. We know that Chloe isn't a snobby bitch and she cares about Rae. Turning her into a kicked puppy and twist events to suddenly make her the patron saint of the group felt really false and forced. It was a waste of screentime. They retold the series in one episode to make a vaguely annoying side character sympathetic. Fantastic addition to the plot.

What are they even doing this season?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

minkyfan - Again I want to state I haven't seen the episode yet but that is exactly how it feels to me about the Chloe situation from what I read about this episode. Maybe actually seeing it will give me more empathy and understanding but I don't know.

And I think it was good that Rae saw something from someone elses pov but this doesn't seem like it is executed well and as you said them twisting events to fit with Chloe being some amazing incredible person all along is wtf and frustrating.*sigh*

I really enjoy S2 and tried to be more on the positive train on here than than the negative one. But as each new episode happens I seem to be liking it less and less. I thought the first two episodes felt like S1 and were brilliant but after that it has kinda went downhill. Like they turned the drama up all the way and it's so full of so many things happening at once.

But maybe I will feel differently after I actually watch it.

I really hope the next episode is incredible though and I do still hope for a s3.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyfan (View Post)
I'm not too thrilled with anything this season tbh because it's all a giant roundabout distraction from almost everything good about S1. I feel like Chloe has been broken umpteen times just to prove that ~popular girls have issues too. We know that Chloe isn't a snobby bitch and she cares about Rae. Turning her into a kicked puppy and twist events to suddenly make her the patron saint of the group felt really false and forced. It was a waste of screentime. They retold the series in one episode to make a vaguely annoying side character sympathetic. Fantastic addition to the plot.

What are they even doing this season?
Exactly. And there are plenty of shows about how the skinny, bitchy, popular girl is really good and insecure deep down. This is the one show where you can see and witness a girl like Rae's POV.

And Rae seems way more self-centered, now in s2, than she ever did in s1. So it made no sense, imo.

Heather, I agree with you. After episodes 1 and 2, the show went downhill. Maybe it's because Tom Bidwell wrote the first two.

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I kinda think so too. I think you can tell there are different writers this season. But wasn't this episode wrote by Tom also? I'm not sure.

I'm still trying to hold on hope that the next episode will make things so much clearer and why s2 went in this direction and did this. So I can be like this season was even better than I thought now I see the big picture. I have to rewatch it. Or at least even just understand it. But I don't even know anymore. This season has put me through the ringer. but also

And I agree. I don't mind getting Chloe's pov and Rae seeing Chloe in a new way but I really dislike how it was played out. Over the entire series and that apparently Chloe was really this incredible amazing girl all along. I knew Chloe wasn't completely awful and she cared about Rae (and Rae wasn't perfect and could **** up too) but I feel they pushed too hard on it.

But again maybe next episode will explain better.

I don't know.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

the ep was written by tom, which begs the god damn question, how could he write rae like this? or even approve the sht she's done this season? this is not rae. not one drop! and to even insinuate that she'd rip a page out of chloe's book is insulting. because that ending was pure sht! *BARF*

anyway, does anyone else think chloe was going to tell rae about what finn said? or finn leaving? why couldn't we just get that scene? i mean, fck, if you wanted me to like chloe more, don't try and rewrite history!!! make her tell rae about finn leaving. HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN?! now this is two eps that i have to say are not cannon. which, i'm over finn saying how much he misses rae. or chloe admiring rae from afar. if it's about rae, it should go through rae. not around her and behind her back. lawd! not that i believe half the crap chloe wrote. LBR!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I can kind understand some of the things she's done and I get Rae isn't perfect but I feel so confused right now.

If so I would have freaking loved that scene. I think that could have shown us Chloe is a sweet person and is fighting in Rae's corner by doing that. And we could have had them talk about things and shown some stuff about Chloe or even done it in a way like Tix's episode was but how they did it this episode was not something I like. Again we all knew this was from Rae's pov and that things might be slightly not the way she thinks they are but to actually do this sort of thing kinda..I don't know.

I really do need to stop posting my opinion though until I fully watch it but I'm not even sure if I want to until I see what happens next episode. My emotions can't take it. So I might just keep doing this.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

the ep is actually super boring and you just have to skip the last two min to avoid the upchuck, but as i was writing my review for this ep, it clicked for me: they are going way overboard by trying to make rae... normal. the writers just went about it all wrong and it's sad because this show was so good at focusing on mental illness and the real struggles people have with dealing with depression, food, self-esteem, etc. at such a young age. i was a bit older when i started self-harming, but to watch rae just completely go cold turkey on that end was surprising. not that she still isn't hurting herself in other ways, but that was one thing that i thought this season would still focus on. and her lack of taking medication? the show basically just all fluff now, no substance. sadly.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I haven't posted here in a while, just wanted to give my two cents on this episode. As much focus as Chloe got, I felt it was much more about Rae to be honest. There was, of course, a Chloe pity party going on, but it was all about Rae realizing how selfish/self centered she's been and there's no way to do that with a character who has such a strong personality other than getting her to see things from another POV. I think it could've worked with any of the characters, not just Chloe, especially Archie and Finn. Rae just needed to see the world from another perspective for a minute to see that it's not always the world against her, but that she has ownership in a lot of the things that happen around her. I say this as someone who relates to Rae a lot, almost too much to the point where I think the writers of this season have spied on my teenage years and I may sue them So I get why it might feel OOC for some viewers, but I think it's making sense, even though it's hard to watch.

Also it showed that even though now she sees it, it still doesn't mean she's doing anything about it. She's even more self destructive 'cause she still doesn't have the tools to change how she sees herself and the world. It was actually, in my opinion, perfectly done. Her having sex with Liam made it clear. It's depressing and annoying and it sucks, and can we please have Finn back, but it's VERY realistic.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by {worshipfulness} (View Post)
it's VERY realistic.
how is the sex part realistic if rae's literally consumed by her body issues? seems like the writers pulled this idea out of chloe's ass and said, maybe...
Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas forever (View Post)
how is the sex part realistic if rae's literally consumed by her body issues? seems like the writers pulled this idea out of chloe's ass and said, maybe...
I find it realistic because it's how it went for me in my late teens. I hated my body and had many of the issues Rae has on the show and it was a way of devaluing myself even further. A lot of people with body issues can go as far as becoming sexually promiscuous, it's self destructive and it numbs you to the subject and you just get used to it and the more you do it the more you burry yourself. I don't expect everyone to relate to it though, so I understand the reactions. Mental illness very often makes you act in contradiction to what you think and feel.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Tar - I'm definitely ok with Rae seeing another pov (she did need it) I just don't like the way it seems to have played out but I might change my mind later.

Though now they have done it a part of me wants to get something like that from Chop's, Izzy's or even Archie's pov to maybe get a more accurate picture of what happened. Since they are a little further from the situations.

I do agree about the sex part. Her having sex with Liam (if she actually went through with it) is pretty realistic. Especially with how low she seems to feel. This guy already thinks her body is awful (and she agrees) so nothing more to disgust him since he already is. Plus also probably thinking who else would have me and not be disgusted. The easy answer is of course Finn but it's not that easy for Rae to see (and I know Rae likes Finn for more than his looks but why I feel she focuses on them so much). She doesn't want to disgust Finn with her body even though he wouldn't be but she can't help but think he would because of how so many awful comments have been made about her body even from herself and how she truly believes them.

And Liam "validating" them just makes it all so much worse for Rae's self esteem.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured moonlight (View Post)
Especially with how low she seems to feel. This guy already thinks her body is awful (and she agrees) so nothing more to disgust him since he already is.
Exactly, she's already at her lowest with him so there's nothing to lose. She was already willing to take her clothes of in front of Liam last episode. With Finn it's terrifying because she's in love with him.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I definitely agree.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by {worshipfulness} (View Post)
A lot of people with body issues can go as far as becoming sexually promiscuous
i would hope that no one would ever hate themselves as much as to be called ugly by someone and then give them a blow job, which for how selfish rae can be, it doesn't make sense that she'd devalue herself sexually for a heartless turd like liam. rae knows how she wants to be treated and if she can stand up to archie for leading her on, she can sure as hell know she's worth more than what she's doing now. heck, rae's attitude towards her mom makes me know she thinks she's worth more.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured moonlight (View Post)

And I agree. I don't mind getting Chloe's pov and Rae seeing Chloe in a new way but I really dislike how it was played out. Over the entire series and that apparently Chloe was really this incredible amazing girl all along. I knew Chloe wasn't completely awful and she cared about Rae (and Rae wasn't perfect and could **** up too) but I feel they pushed too hard on it.
I definitely agree. The episode felt like the audience was supposed to be all, "poor Chloe", .... and it was too heavy-handed.

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy