Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
Ok thanks. I hope Starz will keep having free episodes online cause I don't have that channel. My favorite scene is when she's trying to get the bullet out and asking for stuff and no one knowing what they are until she says alcohol lol
I think Starz only release the 1st episode free, it was the same with Black Sails. Just a way of enticing the viewer and hoping they will subscribe to the Starz channel.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I downloaded the Starz app. I am hoping next Saturday ill have the episode
Old 08-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Master Fan

I really liked this, haven't read the books, the previews caught my attention. Of course I was pretty much waiting for Claire to travel back in time the whole first half. The leads have great chemistry, I love Jamie's awkward bravado when he talks to Claire, you can see how intrigued he is by this spirited woman. I like Claire too and I liked that her relationship with her husband was strained but loving. I love Scottish accents so I'm in.

I don't know, should start reading the book now or wait until the show is over?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think ill check out the book from the liberary
Old 08-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1214 (View Post)
I really liked this, haven't read the books, the previews caught my attention. Of course I was pretty much waiting for Claire to travel back in time the whole first half. The leads have great chemistry, I love Jamie's awkward bravado when he talks to Claire, you can see how intrigued he is by this spirited woman. I like Claire too and I liked that her relationship with her husband was strained but loving. I love Scottish accents so I'm in.

I don't know, should start reading the book now or wait until the show is over?
Yep, there is so much to love about the premiere. The books are huge so there is still time to read and stay caught up to the series. The pacing in the premiere was a bit slowed, but as stated before it was to develop the Frank/Claire relationship. There is still a lot going on in the story which hasn't even been hinted on in the series, yet.

One of the reasons long time fans loved the premiere because so much of Diana's book is descriptive. She writes paragraph upon paragraph describing a room, the hall, the country side before any of the action takes place and the series honored the book in that respect. The scenery is described in breathtaking detail and it was great to finally see Ron Moore and STARZ really step up and not cheap out.

Secondly, Diana spent a good number of years trying to remove the Outlander series out of the romance genre and into the historical fiction section. Jamie and Claire's relationship is epic, but what makes the Claire's plight so fascinating is the time period she's in. Claire (and the audience) knows that history is fast approaching the Scots and the results.

**SPOILER - I don't know if it's a spoiler to mention the historical event so if someone can let me know**

Throughout the course of the novel, Diana spends a good deal of time explaining the path leading to history and is the reason why there is tension with Claire. Everyone is under suspicion, family members against family members, so Claire is trying to find her way home, but her actions make her more suspicious to everyone. Thus her precarious situation. There was a small hint of it in the premiere, but it really gears up later in the story.

The story is building up to a famous historical event, and this is the environment that brings Jamie/Claire together. So by reading the books, the viewer may better understand what is going on in Scotland during this time and why the Redcoats are there.

I suspect the series will do some job of trying to explain it, but Diana does a great job of laying out the politics and creates a hostile and suspicious environment that it adds to the intrigue and desperation of Claire. Though if you didn't read the book, I suspect you spend a good amount of time on Wikipedia trying to understand from a historical sense what's happening and whom is on which side.

After all that, my suggestion is to find time to read the novel for the great description of the Scottish Highland and then Ooh and Ahh over the visually stunning vista on the show. But mostly, because it may help better understand 18th century Scotland and Claire's plight and why she makes some very difficult choices.

The girls gonna have problems.

Hope I helped.

Last edited by CityGal; 08-10-2014 at 05:10 PM
Old 08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

how was the pilot?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Master Fan

I've had the first book on my Kindle for awhile, I just haven't gotten to it yet. So I was surprised to see it being made into a series. I just don't know if it's the type of series where knowing what's going to happen is going to ruin the experience. I've read all the Game of Thrones books so I basically know what's going to happen and who's going to die before they do. Is it anything like that? Or does it not really matter in this series?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuVe2LoVe (View Post)
how was the pilot?
Excellent, if a little slow. There's a ton of backstory to Claire and Frank.

WolfgangღKala
Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1214 (View Post)
I've had the first book on my Kindle for awhile, I just haven't gotten to it yet. So I was surprised to see it being made into a series. I just don't know if it's the type of series where knowing what's going to happen is going to ruin the experience. I've read all the Game of Thrones books so I basically know what's going to happen and who's going to die before they do. Is it anything like that? Or does it not really matter in this series?
I haven't read GoT, but I'm assuming it's going to be like that. Especially judging from the pilot looks like they will be sticking very much to the book.

It all depends on your preference. For most that love the books, we love to see it on scene knowing what's going to happen. Pretty much it's the same as being made into a movie.

April
Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Citygal pretty much summed it up in her post, so I'll just say yes, definitely read the book! It's long, but such a perfect journey.
For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest. Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.” -Jamie Fraser
Lyns
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
STARZ OFFICIALLY GREENLIGHTS “BOOK TWO” OF THE
HIT DRAMA SERIES “OUTLANDER”

PREMIERE EPISODE SURPASSES 5 MILLION VIEWS IN FIRST WEEK

Second Season to be at least 13-Episode Run, Based Upon Dragonfly in Amber, Book Two of Diana Gabaldon’s International Bestselling Novels

Beverly Hills, Calif., August 15, 2014 – Starz Chief Executive Officer, Chris Albrecht, announced today that Starz has once again partnered with Sony Pictures Television to greenlight a second season of “Outlander,” the critically-acclaimed original series adapted from Diana Gabaldon’s international bestselling books. Season two will be at least 13-episodes and based upon the second of eight books in the Outlander series, entitled Dragonfly in Amber.

The first 16-episode season of “Outlander,” filmed on location in Scotland, debuted on August 9th, 2014 at 9pm PT/ET, with the first episode setting multiplatform viewing records, surpassing 5 million views in the first week alone, drawing equal male and female viewership (**SOURCE: Starz internal data and Nielsen audience figures as of 8/14/14). Additionally, the series premiere marked a notable media and social media success for the network, with fans hosting viewing parties around the country. It was No. 1 in Nielsen Ratings for Twitter conversation volume among all television series on premiere day, trended twice at No. 2 in U.S. Twitter Trends (**SOURCE: Sysomos).

"The overwhelming support ‘Outlander’ has received from the fans, viewers and critics made the decision for us to go ahead with the second book a very easy one. Diana Gabaldon has given us years of great drama. With an incredible artist such as Ronald D. Moore at the helm and a cast as spectacular as this, we look forward to continue this spell-binding journey with Claire, Jamie, Frank, Brianna, Roger and everybody over the centuries,” said Albrecht.

Creator Ronald D. Moore said “I’m thrilled at the prospect of doing another season of this show for STARZ. This project has been a labor of love from the very beginning and it’s incredibly gratifying to see it succeed with viewers and critics alike.”

“Fans of the Outlander books have waited a long time to see this incredible story brought to life on screen, and Ron and his team have delivered a show that exceeds expectations,” said Zack Van Amburg, President of Programming for Sony Pictures Television. “We look forward to our continued partnership with Starz to present the next chapter of this epic tale to longtime fans and viewers who are just discovering the series.”

The series adaptation for “Outlander” was developed by Ronald D. Moore (“Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation”). Moore is best known for his work on “Battlestar Galactica,” which won him a Peabody Award in 2006. Ronald D. Moore and Jim Kohlberg are executive producers of “Outlander,” which is produced by Tall Ship Productions, Story Mining and Supply Company and Left Bank Productions in association with Sony Pictures Television.

Diana Gabaldon’s eight-book series has sold more than 20 million copies and has graced the New York Times Best Sellers list six times. The “Outlander” series spans the genres of romance, science fiction, history, and adventure in one grandiose tale. It follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Starz will retain all domestic multiplatform pay TV rights to the original series.

Source: Starz
X

Last edited by CityGal; 08-15-2014 at 10:59 AM
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Elite Fan

Just realized I actually do have Starz! So I am ecstatic! And I'm so happy about S2
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
Just realized I actually do have Starz! So I am ecstatic! And I'm so happy about S2
So happy for you. Tomorrow looks like a great episode. Hopefully the number rating is good.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)

I don't even remember why I have Starz, but I was going to get rid of all the preimum packages I have until the show was announced and then well nope can't rid of that.

April
Old 08-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk On You (View Post)

I don't even remember why I have Starz, but I was going to get rid of all the preimum packages I have until the show was announced and then well nope can't rid of that.
OMG, same! yeah, not happening now.