Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I think so too! They can at least be with their husband and kid in the house. Are they allowed to be intimate with one another? So many questions.
Also having not read the book, I assumed that all of America is Gilead. So I'm kind of glad that there's this other scenario where some families, at least can live together. But yes, are they allowed to be intimate? The place looks heavily guarded too so I think their schedule and day-to-day activities are closely monitored.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

And if they are, and they have another kid, then what? Does that kid get taken away? You would think they would force those people to have regular "sessions" to to up the chances of more children being conceived.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Just saw ep 3!
I get why June wanted to leave the house, to fight for freedom and such but why? Now she's caught

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Also having not read the book, I assumed that all of America is Gilead. So I'm kind of glad that there's this other scenario where some families, at least can live together. But yes, are they allowed to be intimate? The place looks heavily guarded too so I think their schedule and day-to-day activities are closely monitored.
Close. According to June, the new capital of the United States is Anchorage, and there are two stars on the flag.

One thing that is of interest is where the Econowives are going. Women aren't allowed to work so, apart from Church, shopping is presumably the main reason for them to leave their homes. There were Econowives shown shopping in the same store as the Handmaids, so it may be a case that there are no grocery stores in Econo areas and they have to shop in the wealthier areas.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
And if they are, and they have another kid, then what? Does that kid get taken away? You would think they would force those people to have regular "sessions" to to up the chances of more children being conceived.
Unless they're only allowed 1 child per family. Geez, how does this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartღaflutter (View Post)
Just saw ep 3!
I get why June wanted to leave the house, to fight for freedom and such but why? Now she's caught
It was sad when she got caught but also expected. There was no way she's gonna get off that "easy". Moira was lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan (View Post)
One thing that is of interest is where the Econowives are going. Women aren't allowed to work so, apart from Church, shopping is presumably the main reason for them to leave their homes. There were Econowives shown shopping in the same store as the Handmaids, so it may be a case that there are no grocery stores in Econo areas and they have to shop in the wealthier areas.
I'm glad you pointed that out which means that this place is near Gilead. If Econowives are not allowed to work, what do they do apart from birthing children and mostly housewife chores? Though at least they're not forced to have children like the handmaids? Or are they?

Old 05-07-2018, 12:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyra from *NOL (View Post)
yay S3 renewal, at least we won't risk a season ending with no resolution.
That's definitely an added bonus
Old 05-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Unless they're only allowed 1 child per family. Geez, how does this work?
I doubt that there's a restriction on families having multiple children. They're all about trying to solve the population problem, and the Econo families are a source of future workers to do the jobs that will be deemed beneath the children of the Commander's families.

Quote:
I'm glad you pointed that out which means that this place is near Gilead. If Econowives are not allowed to work, what do they do apart from birthing children and mostly housewife chores? Though at least they're not forced to have children like the handmaids? Or are they?
The Econo district is in Gilead, it's the equivalent of a low-income neighbourhood, while the Commanders have the nicest area. Econowives don't have much of a life outside the home, it's all about "traditional values". Had June's family been allowed to live as Econos, Luke would have gone out to work while June kept house and raised Hannah. There may be some expectation that they will attend some public events. In the book, Econowives are expected to attend Salvagings - as are Wives, Daughters, and Marthas - but can be excused if they have young children to care for.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was hoping to find the book at the book fair this weekend, but wasn't so lucky.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

It's definitely worth reading. The series is a faithful adaptation, more so than the movie, but there are extra details about life in Gilead to be found in the book.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

How many books are in the series, I thought it was just one book?
Old 05-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

^It is just the one book.

Watched episode 3 yesterday. I liked seeing how the "regular" people like the econopeople live. Still needs more Moira though.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
^It is just the one book.
Okay, thanks for clarifying, that confused me a little.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
I doubt that there's a restriction on families having multiple children. They're all about trying to solve the population problem, and the Econo families are a source of future workers to do the jobs that will be deemed beneath the children of the Commander's families.
So they can just have as many babies as they want? Or are they 'fulfilled' if they at least have one child?

Quote:
The Econo district is in Gilead, it's the equivalent of a low-income neighbourhood, while the Commanders have the nicest area. Econowives don't have much of a life outside the home, it's all about "traditional values". Had June's family been allowed to live as Econos, Luke would have gone out to work while June kept house and raised Hannah. There may be some expectation that they will attend some public events. In the book, Econowives are expected to attend Salvagings - as are Wives, Daughters, and Marthas - but can be excused if they have young children to care for.
This actually sounds so much better than being a handmaid where they're forced to have sex with the Commander. Although I doubt that the Econowives are also better off. What is the downside for the women here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrey (View Post)
Watched episode 3 yesterday. I liked seeing how the "regular" people like the econopeople live. Still needs more Moira though.
Agreed. Moira became a fave character of mine early on in S1. She's free of being a handsmaid but she's lonely. Like there's something missing in her life. Although of course that can be attributed to this society they now live in.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
It's definitely worth reading. The series is a faithful adaptation, more so than the movie, but there are extra details about life in Gilead to be found in the book.
How long is the book?
Old 05-08-2018, 04:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
So they can just have as many babies as they want? Or are they 'fulfilled' if they at least have one child?
Not necessarily as many as they want so much as as many as they can produce. Abortion is illegal, and I'd hazard a guess that the same applies to contraception. Abstinence, particularly for a couple of proven fertility, could get you reported by nosy neighbours for failing to do your duty to God and Gilead. If you conceive, the chances of the baby being healthy and not deformed are 1 in 5. It's likely that all Econo families are expected to keep trying to make babies for Gilead.

If they end up with six kids, so be it.

Quote:
This actually sounds so much better than being a handmaid where they're forced to have sex with the Commander. Although I doubt that the Econowives are also better off. What is the downside for the women here?
Total dependence on their husbands. No option to escape the marriage if the husband is abusive. Since women aren't allowed to work, what happens if the husband dies? You might be okay if you have a son who is old enough to work, or a married daughter whose husband is willing to take you in. Other than that, I'd say that, at best, they become Marthas, at worst, they end up in the Colonies.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top