Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWalker
Thanks for posting that Shauna. Interesting.

Your very welcome.
I know better
But I still feel you all around icon
Old 09-06-2005, 04:39 AM
Part-Time Fan

This looks really good! I love Jennifer. Its about time she came out with another television show. I am a definite fan of Medium too, so I am looking forward to the storyline even though I know the two will be different.

Mel

~ Dawson's Creek ~ Jack & Jill ~ Medium ~ Grey's Anatomy ~
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Awesome! Glad you are looking foward to the show. I am too.
I know better
Old 09-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I found this very interesting article......

Is there 'Ghost' of a chance?
By Scott D. Pierce

Miller and Hewitt in Ghost Whisperer

Deseret Morning News
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — There has been quite a bit written — or at least joked — about the fact that CBS thinks a show about a young woman who talks to ghosts will prove more popular with viewers than a show about a young woman who talks to God.
The network canceled "Joan of Arcadia" and, come Sept. 23, will replace it with "The Ghost Whisperer," hoping more and younger viewers will be interested in a series about a young woman (Jennifer Love Hewitt) who can see and talk to dead people.
Vivian Zink, Touchstone
Wentworth Miller, right, guests stars with Jennifer Love Hewitt in the pilot of "Ghost Whisperer." Miller was also in the last two episodes of "Joan of Arcadia" — the show "Whisperer" is replacing on CBS.
So, does CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler think ghosts will skew younger than God?
"I wouldn't use those words exactly," she said. "The truth is anytime you put a new show in an existing time period, you're taking a risk. You're betting on it doing better. That's really where it comes from."
But, do you think it will skew younger because of the ghosts?
"Right now the show appeals to all demos," Tassler evaded.
Gee, she ought to be in politics.
Actually, Tassler has made it clear she wishes "Joan" could have remained on the air. And she's not just blowing smoke when she says the network did try to bring viewers back to a show that started off strong and then fell off in the middle of its first season (2003-2004).
The cancellation was "a big disappointment for all of us (and) me personally," she said. "We lost probably about 24 percent of our audience the middle of the first year. We never got them back.
"We went through massive marketing campaigns, promotional campaigns. We just couldn't get the audience back. It was very disappointing. . . . If you could tell me where that audience went, I would love to know."

WHAT'S REALLY ODD is that the final couple of "Joan" episodes introduced a character played by guest star Wentworth Miller — a character named Ryan Hunter who seemed, perhaps, to be the personification of the devil.
In addition to his current starring role on "Prison Break," Miller guest stars in the pilot episode of "Ghost Whisperer" as a dead soldier the title character helps.
"It's strange how that worked," said Miller, who met with the producers of "Joan of Arcadia" last fall. "By the time they called back about the role, he had been cast in "Prison Break," but "Joan's" producers still wanted him for their show.
"They knew that my commitment was, of course, to Fox and to 'Prison Break' and that I would not be able to continue that character's arc on the show if 'Prison Break' was picked up. . . . But I don't think they were worried about that because, at that point, they had bigger fish to fry," Miller said.
He shot the pilot of "Prison Break" in December, and while waiting to find out whether it would be picked up, got the guest-star role in the "Ghost Whisperer" pilot.
"I thought that was a very sweet and sentimental kind of show," he said. "It was certainly a change-up from a show like 'Prison Break,' which is action/thriller."
And even Miller finds the whole "Joan of Arcadia"/"Ghost Whisperer" coincidence rather interesting.
"I do find it strangely poetic, though, that a character who shows up on a show about God to play something kind of Satanic winds up in the very last two episodes of that show and the appears in the show that replaces that show on its exact time and night the following season."
I know better
Old 09-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry for the double post but the new promo pics were released and I would like to share them here.

I know better
Old 09-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So did anyone catch the pilot tonight?
I know better
Old 09-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I actually really liked this show. I wasn't even going to check it out at first, but the premise really intrigued me. I actually like the premise of this show better than Medium, and I watch that too. I think it makes sense that ghosts would go to someone who can see them. I like that Melinda has a support system to help her deal with all the emotions dealing with the dead and their families brings her.

Even though I knew she could talk to ghosts, I was surprised that her husband's brother was dead. I really liked the way that played out. Although, I did not like the cinemaphotography, or whatever, that had Melinda and her husband's profile in deep shadow. It just looked strange.

I like it and will definately tune in again.

Oh- and as far as it replacing JoA, I do miss that show too but I am not going to take it out on this one. It's not Ghost Whisperer's fault that it was canceled.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

This show has potential, but it is the time-slot-of-death (8:00 PM, Friday night).

JLH was convincing enough and the emphasis on this show is more emotional than emperical -- Which Medium concentrates on -- And that is the real question CBS is asking: Is there an audience who is at home Friday nights who wants a good cry in prime time?

I know this is OT, but I have to get this off my chest:

The thing about JOA that a lot of people don't want to admit, including the network, is that writing just never went anywhere and the whole Devil storyline was a last minute, ditch effort to put conflict in the show because up until that there really was no conflict so-to-speak.

On the surface, Joan was never sure if it was really God speaking to her... But you could tell she was pretty sure underneath, I.E. faith, and that is the major flaw of any show of this kind because when the heroine doesn't have any self doubts -- no internal conflict -- It's not realistic or relatable and I think this is one reason audiences just got bored with the show half-way through.

Amber Tamblin is a good actress, but Joan was pretty one dimensional character, imo... Mostly because she was a teen and if she had been a young woman in her 20s, or even 30s who had seen the best and worst of life at that point I think the show could have tapped a bigger audience and been a more interesting show altogether because the show then would have had a bigger scope and canvas on which to make Joan's personal journey more realistic and varied.

For example, Joan could have been a 20something doctor, or scientist whom God starts speaking to. This alone -- science vs. religion -- Could have been a great place to start the conflict, both internally and externally -- As well as the people someone in her line of work would have met like perhaps victims of violent crimes, soldiers returning from Iraq, etc, etc -- Characters whose faith WOULD have been shaken by that time and whom Joan could have helped while at the same time helping herself.

I'm sorry I went into OT there, but I think it is relevant to this discussion because I think this is why Ghost Whisperer will probably do better than JOA as a show, overall, because JLH isn't a teenager who talks to ghosts, but a full grown woman approaching her 30s which means there is more of her own character's life experiences they can use to make her more three dimensional than Joan.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

I really enjoyed this show. I like Jennifer Love a lot so I was hoping I would like this show. I'm so happy I did. Now my Friday's are complete.

~Jailynn
Old 09-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey everyone.. I am glad you guys enjoyed the pilot!

I am starting a list in the first post. Let me know if you want to be on it.
I know better
Old 09-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

i loved the pilot!!! This is 1 of my fav new shows of the season.

can you add me to the list?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAtHeart
i loved the pilot!!! This is 1 of my fav new shows of the season.

can you add me to the list?
Awesome. So happy to hear that you loved it. I will add you right now.
I know better
Old 09-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr
Henry Cavill

I'll be the first to admit I really didn't want to like this show (Joan), but I decided to check it out because I like JLH and David Conrad and the premise sounded interesting although I wasn't going to be happy if it was a Medium rip off. Surprisingly I ended up really enjoying the pilot. I will check it out again next week as well. I'm also glad to see that while I initially thought GW might be a Medium rip off that doesn't appear to be the case...........there are some fundamental differences which will make the 2 shows very different.

I also checked out the pilot for Wentworth Miller who I love. He didn't disappoint. Amazing performance as always. His scene with his son and JLH on the porch as well as his scenes at the end at the funeral were very emotional and touching. I'm a big sap so I was teary eyed.

Unsilent Majority - You bring up some interesting points about JoA.

Does anyone know what the ratings were?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWalker
I'll be the first to admit I really didn't want to like this show (Joan), but I decided to check it out because I like JLH and David Conrad and the premise sounded interesting although I wasn't going to be happy if it was a Medium rip off. Surprisingly I ended up really enjoying the pilot. I will check it out again next week as well. I'm also glad to see that while I initially thought GW might be a Medium rip off that doesn't appear to be the case...........there are some fundamental differences which will make the 2 shows very different.

I also checked out the pilot for Wentworth Miller who I love. He didn't disappoint. Amazing performance as always. His scene with his son and JLH on the porch as well as his scenes at the end at the funeral were very emotional and touching. I'm a big sap so I was teary eyed.

Unsilent Majority - You bring up some interesting points about JoA.

Does anyone know what the ratings were?
I am glad you enjoyed the pilot. And yes I agree, Wentworth Miller was amazing and those last scenes at the end were really emotional. And I'm a sap as well, so I defenitley was teary eyed.

And the ratings.. They were great! GW was the highest watched program last night. And from Futon Critic:

"In year-to-year comparisons, "Ghost" was up a noticeable 23.33% in households and 16.00% in adults 18-49 from "Joan of Arcadia's".
I know better
Old 09-25-2005, 01:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

I really liked this show. I did a write up on it for the site I write for earlier today. I hadn't heard much about the show before recently, and I don't watch Medium, so I can't make that comparision. I find this a good heartwarming and touching show. The paranormal aspect isn't the main focus. Yes, they are dead, but it isn't horrifying. I really enjoyed Hewitt on this show, and I'll be tuning in next week. The time slot for the show is horrid though. So many shows at 8/7c on Friday nights get the ax. Let's hope that doesn't happen here.