Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2020, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Many people will say that [...] Brokeback Mountain [...] probably deserved it more.
I will never forget getting up at 4am on a school night, turning on the tv to watch the final award and hearing Jack Nicholson say "Crash". The complete and utter shock I felt. The way that I genuinely believed he was joking. The despair and rage afterwards. ...such fun times!
Old 02-25-2020, 02:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
OMG, you and your boyfriend were on a movie set? Which one?

... our film? we're both film students so we were making a short film

Quote:
Well, I do know that Parasite's win is historic because usually foreign films win in the foreign film category but have never won Best Picture. I think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was the last one to come close to it, but lost to Gladiator.
I'm not sure that's entirely true, Roma came very close to winning just last year tbh. I think that quality-wise, there really wasn't a film as good as Parasite this year so they had no choice but to give it to that film

I remember when Crash won, I had only seen Crash at the time and I was quite happy it won and then ... I saw no one else was happy

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 02-25-2020, 03:07 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
I think that quality-wise, there really wasn't a film as good as Parasite this year so they had no choice but to give it to that film
I mean I've really only seen all the previews and all but all the other movies just seem so.... basic? So I'm very glad it went to Parasite. Out of all of them that's the one I'm most likely to ever check out!

The worst thing with Crash winning is that I think that's a movie I might've genuinely enjoyed, but then after that experience I just.... can't ever watch it
Old 02-26-2020, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Crash was inferior to Brokeback but I always found it interesting that a movie that got fairly deep about racial issues (iirc) was so hated and discredited.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the input! Any opinions about any of the other films I listed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
... our film? we're both film students so we were making a short film

I'm not sure that's entirely true, Roma came very close to winning just last year tbh. I think that quality-wise, there really wasn't a film as good as Parasite this year so they had no choice but to give it to that film

I remember when Crash won, I had only seen Crash at the time and I was quite happy it won and then ... I saw no one else was happy
Oh, really? Congrats, Sheida! It must be great to have made your own film! What's it about?

Well, close only counts in horseshoes and nuclear weapons, Sheida. Parasite is still the first foreign language film to win Best Picture at the Oscars. Actually, I think a lot of people assumed that either Once Upon A Time In Hollywood or 1917 would win. They certainly racked up a lot of awards at the Golden Globes and the other awards shows.

Well, the reason no one else was happy that Crash won was because many felt that Brokeback Mountain was the better film and that Crash won mostly due to Hollywood pandering to a film that was more about message than story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
I will never forget getting up at 4am on a school night, turning on the tv to watch the final award and hearing Jack Nicholson say "Crash". The complete and utter shock I felt. The way that I genuinely believed he was joking. The despair and rage afterwards. ...such fun times!
I understand, Anja. For me, it wasn't even about the subject matter, that Brokeback was a gay love story or that Crash dealt with racial tensions in Los Angeles. I felt that from a storytelling and filmmaking perspective, Brokeback was simply the superior film. It managed to tell a story with a message without actually trying to preach to the audience, you know what I mean? Crash looked like it was trying too hard, and it felt disingenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingster (View Post)
Crash was inferior to Brokeback but I always found it interesting that a movie that got fairly deep about racial issues (iirc) was so hated and discredited.
I think the reason was that Crash seemed to be pandering too much, Kush. It was an oddly-structured film that seemed to be more about Los Angeles than anything else. I think it was seen as Oscar-bait and trying too hard to be relevant about social justice issues. Brokeback just told a story, but it demonstrated the power of simply telling a story without spoon-feeding ideology to the audience.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

I thought 1917 would win too, tbh, and they would give Parasite the Foreign Language one as a consolation price like they did with Roma last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Well, the reason no one else was happy that Crash won was because many felt that Brokeback Mountain was the better film and that Crash won mostly due to Hollywood pandering to a film that was more about message than story.
Well personally I thought the old white male elite of Hollywood just didn't want the "gay cowboy movie" to win As I said, I never watched Crash so I can't really judge it But I did like the look of it from the trailer.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey y'all I hope everyone's staying safe and having fun

Old 03-10-2020, 08:24 AM
Elite Fan

Hiiiii I'm busy preparing to fly halfway around the world, so all is well

I've taken a break from Money Heist and am watching old seasons of The Great British BakeOff now, which is so calming

What are you all up to?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I started watching The Witcher last night. Not sure if I like it or dislike it I will continue though so let's seeeee

Old 03-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Elite Fan

I hope you enjoy! I've heard good things about the show
Old 03-12-2020, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Anja! Hi, Sheida!

Quote:
I thought 1917 would win too, tbh, and they would give Parasite the Foreign Language one as a consolation price like they did with Roma last year.

Well personally I thought the old white male elite of Hollywood just didn't want the "gay cowboy movie" to win As I said, I never watched Crash so I can't really judge it But I did like the look of it from the trailer.
Yeah, I thought so too, Anja. 1917 was cleaning up in all the other awards shows.

Well, if that were the reason then why would they give the Oscar to a multiracial film like Crash? And which Crash trailer did you see? Because there were two films named Crash around that same time. One was a David Cronenberg movie.

I hope everyone is doing okay. This coronavirus pandemic has everyone freaked out.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:53 AM
Elite Fan

Alex, I saw the one for the movie that won the Oscar, obviously

Quote:
Hiiiii I'm busy preparing to fly halfway around the world, so all is well
Ha. Hahahaha. So that's not happening. and instead I'm going to work next week
Old 03-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Alex, I saw the one for the movie that won the Oscar, obviously

Ha. Hahahaha. So that's not happening. and instead I'm going to work next week

Oh, of course.

I'm sorry, Anja. Looks like travel all over the place is getting suspended. This coronavirus outbreak is shutting down everything. I hope you and Sheida are both okay.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:30 AM
Elite Fan

We're doing fine for now Sheida is in lockdown already, and I think they're gonna officially enforce lockdown here on the weekend as well. But of course I'll still have to go to work to encounter hundreds of people a day But I'm staying home apart from that.

Hope you're all staying safe too
Old 03-23-2020, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hello everyone *waves*
Hope you’re all safe, cautious and quarantined.