Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Moderator Manager

Mary Crawley/Michelle Dockery #3: "I hope I'm allowed to be your Mary Crawley for all eternity."

Welcome to the {3rd}
Mary Crawley ||Michelle Dockery
Appreciation Thread

0 1. holding my heart
0 2. we walk free
0 3. sofiab
0 4. DUHsoTK
0 5. hlgreenie
0 6. zazie87
0 7. L i N d $ @ y
0 8. julyhsm
0 9. heimweh
1 0. mellifluouscloud
1 1. P&B4ever
1 2. Nadine
1 3. merveille
1 4. captainsid
1 5. s e r e n i t y
1 6. eleonor
1 7. Angela12
1 8. bijou156
1 9. Kelly2790
2 0. Roxy
2 1. DiamondDreaming
2 2. Heαrt&Souℓ
2 3. _gloria
2 4. Sansa
2 5. bless your soul
2 6. Goldenrose
2 7. EndlessღLove
2 8. didyousayit
2 9. Ruby_Slippers
3 0. dream once more
3 1. JennieN
3 2. KOUAT12
3 3. LadyAny
3 4. Forelsket
3 5. franci*
3 6. Tomorrow's skies
3 7. lisagslack14
3 8. Stockholm
3 9. Countess
4 0. lilylovesrufus
4 1. Elif_ZV

Mary Josephine Crawley the eldest daughter of Lord and Lady Grantham. She was born in 1892. In the first episode, the news of the deaths of her two cousins, James and Patrick, is a shock to her because it disrupts the family's strategy for dealing with the entail that requires the estate, incorporating her mother's large marriage settlement, as well as the title to pass to male heirs. The family had arranged that Mary would marry Patrick, second in line to the title after James, but Mary did not have strong feelings for him and questions whether she must even wear mourning. Early on in the series, she is seduced by a visitor to the house, Ottoman attaché Kamel Pamuk, who suddenly dies in her bed. Her infuriated mother and the housemaid Anna help her carry his body out of her room and back to his own in order to try to prevent a public scandal that would ruin her marriage prospects.

Mary's relationship with the new heir, distant cousin Matthew Crawley, begins coldly as she overhears him complaining to his mother that he expects the family will "throw" the daughters at him. Over time, however, the pair grow closer and a romance develops. In 1914, Matthew Crawley asks Mary to marry him, but she is cautious and says she won't give him an answer until the end of the London Season in August. However her mother becomes pregnant, and if the baby is a boy, he will inherit the title instead of Matthew, so Mary refuses Matthew on the advice of her aunt, Lady Rosamond. Matthew is quick to grasp her reasoning and leaves Downton for a time. While he is away, Mary gets engaged to Sir Richard Carlisle, a newspaper magnate who, when Mary confesses to it and asks for his assistance, promises to help keep the Pamuk affair under wraps. They plan to marry in July 1919, after the marriage of Matthew and his new fiancée Lavinia, and to move to a neighbouring, stately home that Sir Richard plans to buy. After Lavinia's death, it becomes clear that Matthew and Mary still have feelings for each other. In 1920, Mary breaks off the engagement to Sir Richard and initially agrees to move to America to live with her grandmother and maid Anna. However, Matthew again proposes to her on bended knee, and the two get engaged.

The couple, after a brief moment of doubt the night before the wedding, happily marry in series 3. After her youngest sister Sybil dies, Mary supports her brother-in-law Tom Branson's decision to raise her niece and goddaughter, Miss Sybil Branson, a Catholic. While she and Matthew are intent on having children, it is hinted throughout the series that they could be having reproductive issues. Matthew believes he might not be able to have children since he suffered a severe back injury at Amiens in 1918 during the First World War, and was temporarily paralysed from the waist down. In the penultimate episode of Series 3, Mary and Matthew meet by coincidence at a reproductive health clinic in London, where Mary reveals to Matthew that she underwent a small and successful operation in order to strengthen their chances of conceiving, although it is not disclosed exactly what her problem was. Despite previous tension between them, the series ends with them happily reaffirming their love for each other as they celebrate the birth of their son. Unfortunately, Matthew is killed in a car accident after leaving the maternity hospital on his drive back to Downton. Due to Matthew's death, she has missed her chance to be Countess of Grantham.

Dockery is the youngest of three daughters of Michael Dockery, a native of Athlone, Ireland, who worked his way up from driving a van to becoming a surveyor, and his wife Lorraine, is from Stepney, East London. After working as a driver, in his 50s, her father graduated in occupational hygiene and qualified as an environmental analyst, becoming the first person to survey the British bases in Antarctica. Dockery's great-grandmother Maud Malyon was born in 1910 in Newham, East London, and was a domestic servant. She was just 17 when she married grocer’s assistant William Henry Oakman, 18, at West Ham Register Office.

She was born and brought up in Romford, East London. She was educated first at the Chadwell Heath Foundation School in Chadwell Heath, later known as Chadwell Heath Academy. She was then trained at the Finch Stage School. At the age of 18, with two A-levels, she won a place at London’s Guildhall School of Music & Drama (Guildhall School of Music & Drama). She graduated from London's Guildhall School of Music & Drama in 2004.

She was a member of the National Youth Theatre, studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama where she won the Gold Medal for drama and made her professional debut in His Dark Materials at the Royal National Theatre in 2004. In 2006, she was nominated for the Ian Charleson Award for her performance as Dina Dorf in Pillars of the Community at the National Theatre.

She appeared in Burnt by the Sun at the National Theatre for which she received an Olivier Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. She won second prize at the Ian Charleson Awards for her performance as Eliza Doolittle in Peter Hall's production of Pygmalion at the Theatre Royal, Bath, which toured the UK and transferred to The Old Vic in 2008, and for the same production was nominated Best Newcomer at the Evening Standard Awards 2008.

In 2010, she played Ophelia in Hamlet at the Crucible Theatre alongside John Simm.

Dockery made her television debut as Betty in Fingersmith in 2005.

In 2006, she starred as Susan Sto Helit in a two-part adaptation of Terry Pratchett's novel Hogfather.

In 2008, Dockery played Kathryn in Channel 4's The Red Riding Trilogy and played the guest lead of tormented rape victim Gemma Morrison in BBC`s Waking the Dead. In 2009, she appeared in the two-part Cranford Christmas special for the BBC, and starred as the lead character in a modernised BBC adaptation of The Turn of the Screw.

She came to public prominence in 2010 when she played Lady Mary Crawley in Julian Fellowes' series Downton Abbey, the first season of which was screened on ITV between September and November 2010. She was nominated for a Southbank Award in January for Best Breakthrough Performance in a TV drama. A second series of Downton Abbey was shown in 2011, followed by a special Christmas Day episode, and a third series has been commissioned for broadcast in September 2012. A fourth series has been commissioned for broadcast and began filming in February 2013.

"Haven't you heard ? I don't have a heart
Season 1 - Episode 4
"The truth is we're very much alike, so naturally I think she's perfect."
Season 2 - Episode 3
"Well there you are then. One day you'll meet
someone else and you'll marry. Perhaps it'll be
second best, but it doesn't mean you can't have a life."

Season 2 - Episode 2
"Why must she be so savage? It's my broken
heart and it was her advice that wrecked it in the first place."

Season 2 - Episode 3
"You should learn to forget what I say. I know I do."
Season 1 - Episode 4
"Dear Lord, I don't pretend to have much credit with you.
I'm not even sure that you're there.But if you are, and if
I've ever done anything good, I beg you to keep him safe."

Season 2 - Episode 1
"I'm not much good at hanging back I'm afraid. I won't get
in your way I promise. But I will stay. You have volunteers
don't you? Well, that's what I am. A volunteer."

Seson 2 - Episode 5

michelledockery.org
****yeahmichelledockery.tumblr.com (remove the **** and add fu.ck)
michelle-dockery.net/
IMDB
michelledockeryfan.blogspot.com.ar/
Wikipedia

#1 Haven't you heard ? I don't have a heart
Always ask yourself, what would Lady Mary do?

"I think you're fweaky and I like you a lot!"
"You have a straightforward choice before you."
"Because she has a straightforward choice before her."
"Because she's never fishing with no bait."
"Because she doesn't care a fig about rules."
"You believe I'm much more of a rebel than I am."
"Because in her book the Countess of Grantham lives at Downton Abbey."

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 09-02-2013 at 03:14 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

Rupert hardly speaks. You're lucky to get anything out of him these days, he just has a wicked sense of humor and he's very eccentric and very unique in the way that he does things. He's like a big kid. I feel like he'll never grow up, which I love.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

tftnt!

thanks for sharing pictures of her at BAFTA Tea Party! i hope michelle wins the golden globe tonight. claire has won enough
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

I don't think she is going to win. Claire Danes is the favourite and America loves her but i think Michelle says it best herself:

Quote:

“I feel I’ve already won,” said Dockery, who plays the just-wed Lady Mary Crawley on the show. “Being nominated alongside all those wonderful women is an honor in itself.” The other “wonderful women,” (and I wouldn’t argue with Dockery’s assessment of them) are Connie Britton of “Nashville,” Glenn Close of “Damages,” Claire Danes of “Homeland” and Julianna Margulies of “The Good Wife.”

On that note, Dockery – in Stella McCartney – seems quite wonderful herself: friendly, charming and as beautiful up close as she is in the series. And regarding her breathtaking wedding gown in the series 3 opener, Dockery said she doesn’t get to keep it, but thought it might be auctioned off.

BritWeek Downton Abbey Golden Globes Luncheon Honors Show Creators
Rupert hardly speaks. You're lucky to get anything out of him these days, he just has a wicked sense of humor and he's very eccentric and very unique in the way that he does things. He's like a big kid. I feel like he'll never grow up, which I love.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT, Lindsay!

Awesome pics of Michelle! Thanks for bringing them here.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
"Dockery was front and center with a new bobbed haircut, cut bluntly to between her ears and her chin - she looked startlingly modern in contrast to Lady Mary. In a black and white Stella McCartney sheath, she was tall and willowy, with a strong red lip completing the very 2013 look. “I don’t always wear British designers,” Dockery told THR, “but if it’s a party for Britweek, followed by the BAFTA tea - well, you have to concede.” As for the hair chopping: “I’m in a movie with Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore, and I play a flight attendant - so this seemed an appropriate look. The producers of Downton said it’s fine, as we’re about to move into the 1920s and this look will be Lady Mary’s modernization."

The Pre-Globes' Party Playbook: Julianne Moore, Jennifer Lawrence, Daniel Day-Lewis and More - The Hollywood Reporter
So we get to see Lady Mary with a boob next season .
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrinha (View Post)
So we get to see Lady Mary with a boob next season .
I think you meant a bob. Not that a boob wouldn't be interesting as well.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for posting the latest pictures!!

Sandrinha, I'm from NYC and have to tell you that I like Homeland but I find Claire Danes' character so annoying. Season 2 was such a strong season for Michelle Dockery, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. America loves Claire and Juliana but I hope with the DA momentum, MD will finally get recognized!

Haha on "boob" ) I don't think Lady Mary would have approved of that. Hahaha.

Regarding her hair, Michelle has worn extensions because when we see her hair down, her hair is NOT that long. Jessica wore a wig with her "short hair" because her hair is still long now in real-life. So I wouldn't really worry about Michelle cutting her hair or not, they have wigs (like Maggie Smith wears one). But it will be nice to see Mary's hair "modern" even though I like it long

Michelle looks soooo stunning and gorgeous at the Golden Globes!!

Michelle Dockery – Golden Globes 2013 Red Carpet | 2013 Golden Globes, Michelle Dockery : Just Jared

Downton Abbey Addicts: Michelle Dockery Looks Stunning on Golden Globe Red Carpet

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 01-13-2013 at 10:05 PM Reason: Double post :)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Moderator Manager

I love her BAFTA dress though not totally crazy about it. She carries it well though and looks gorgeous.

Her actual GGs dress was stunning! I love the colour although I would have preferred she went all gold and no white but the style is very interesting. It's a long gown though so still very elegant and glamorous for the occasion.

Thanks for those links on her dress! The back is also very sexy. Here are some more from the GGs (I also love how her hair is styled, gorgeous):

It's a totally different dress which accentuated her sexy waistline so the more I see pics of it, the more I'm really loving it.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile16 (View Post)
Sandrinha, I'm from NYC and have to tell you that I like Homeland but I find Claire Danes' character so annoying. Season 2 was such a strong season for Michelle Dockery, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. America loves Claire and Juliana but I hope with the DA momentum, MD will finally get recognized!
I find Juliana and Michelle to be above Claire because Claire just over-reacts to everything but since they call her bi-polar they think she is spectacular . I don't think she is bad at all but i appreciate Juliana's and Michelle's subtle acting more, sadly that type just isn't credited enough in award shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletCourt (View Post)
I think you meant a bob. Not that a boob wouldn't be interesting as well.
Oops yeah yeah that .

folie à deux

She is such a goofball .

Last edited by Sandrinha; 01-14-2013 at 04:20 PM
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Moderator Manager

E! totallly praised Michelle's dress and thanked her that it doesn't take skin & cleavage to be sexy.

I love the Aziz Ansari/Jason Bateman D.A. and Michelle skit at the GGs. Only to see Michelle laugh like that.

STOP being beautiful.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

Sandrinha, I totally agree that Juliana and Michelle are way better than Claire!

Also, thanks for posting those tweets!! I'm sooo happy she was having fun and mingling with the "cool" crowd. She loves MAD MEN and enjoyed Rose Byrne's performance in BRIDESMAID, so it's great she was dancing/networking with those talented comedians!

Whenever they panned to MD, she was always smiling and laughing. So happy for her. I'm sure a bunch of guys probably wanted her number
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Absolute Fan

I agree on the Julianna and Michelle love. I've tried Homeland and I don't get the fuss. Michelle had such a fantastic season 2
Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT

Michelle looks absolutely stunning at the Golden Globes Everything from her dress to her hair and make up were perfect
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Moderator Manager

Let's hope she gets nominated again and wins next year.

EMMAAAAA! You used one of Kelly's icons! Love it! And your sig!

She's really one of the best dressed at the GGs. Is she confirmed to attend the SAGs already? Because I can't wait to see what she wears on that one, if she's attending.

For those who missed the Aziz/Jason skit at the GGs, here's a gif of it. I would like a YT link but couldn't find any online.

Btw, Cathy, would you like to be added to the supporter list?