Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Moderator Manager

I didn't feel it was that rushed in S1. I thought the storytelling that season was on par and that season only had 7 eps. Even the whole drama with M/M was just spot-on and with him rejecting her in the end. At least however rushed the married life was in S3, I can still say we did get some great developments with these two. We probably would still have if Dan was still around...

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

I couldn't agree more with you guys. The first two seasons were amazing especially for M/M. The buildup for their relationship, eventhough quick with the episodes being so few, was perfectly done and I didn't feel it was rushed at all. I usually stay away from spoilers but I accidentally got spoiled about Matthew's death while Googling Dan news (I started watching the series after S3 aired) and it was already going to be weird and sad watching S3 knowing that since he was my fave but with the writing for that season being sub par in general, it felt surreal how I was able to get through it.

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 AM
New Fan

Yes, I also felt weird regarding Matthews' death... I mean, it was too unfinished a plot line, if you know what I mean. It felt to me like Fellowes had found out about Dan leaving the day before the shoot the episode which was not the case. I do know, of course, things like that happen in life but I still felt a bit lost in the whole thing.

BTW, as I was re-watching the last episodes of season 2 these days, I re-discovered some great acting we saw from these two. There are so many expressions I had missed before, so many subtle movements revealing their longing, I appreciated it more this time around. And oh, I do miss them badly, sorry for not being able to shut up but I do miss them.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

It did feel rushed..and maybe that's just my stupidity but I was so angry about how it happened because he'd been to war, where he survived, thank goodness of course but I think the way he died was stupid. To me it felt like it cause I wondered how many people could have died in car accidents in those times. Surely it was just a new thing and there weren't so many cars, and people were just learning how to get about, but really I'd like to see some statistics cause it can't be a big number..Maybe I'm wrong about that but I feel like I could've settled for a "better" cause of death for him. I would still be crushed like I am but I don't know. Even though any kind of death would've been devastating because basically his real life was just beginning but it could've been more 'heroic'(?), maybe that's what I'm looking for, I'm not sure myself. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense but that's what bugged me the most about the whole thing..

Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 PM
New Fan

JoJo, it makes perfect sense to me. It again falls under "lazy writing" in my book. A car accident is the "go to" for any soap opera that has been on TV. I had got used to Downton Abbey as something more than any soap opera on TV and I got really mad at this cheap exit. I mean, it doesn't take any writing, really. It doesn't require any effort from the writer. I'd have preferred something more meaningful, indeed. And I'd have liked to see Mary saying goodbye to him. The way it was handled was just plain lazy, IMO. It made the whole thing even annoying, aside from being ridiculously untimely.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, Mary should've gotten a chance to say goodbye, indeed I swear I don't even dare to love a couple on the show anymore. Not that I could do anything about it, of course, if it happens you can't stop it..First they took Sybil away, then Matthew, ugh But perhaps that threat isn't real anyways because I sure couldn't get attached to a new couple that much.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:07 PM
New Fan

I never warmed up to another couple that much either. I guess part of it was that Mary and Matthew got enough time during the seasons to grow on me and I was involved in their story. At least, I have three seasons to watch and enjoy. Being positive here.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'll sure treasure the memories too ^^
so to speak xD

Old 09-06-2014, 05:05 AM
New Fan

Indeed!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber's Daughter (View Post)
BTW, as I was re-watching the last episodes of season 2 these days, I re-discovered some great acting we saw from these two. There are so many expressions I had missed before, so many subtle movements revealing their longing, I appreciated it more this time around. And oh, I do miss them badly, sorry for not being able to shut up but I do miss them.
No! Don't shut up, please, I need more people to commiserate with! But seriously, I fell HARD for these two! I haven't even gotten to season 3 yet but I know what happens & it makes my eyes well up with tears at the mere notion.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 AM
New Fan

Oh, I'm very happy, Talula, that you need someone to talk to and share the same feeling because I do as well! I re-watched many episodes during the summer and re-discovered so much in their couple and... well, couldn't move on. I'm stuck in the past. But their story made so much sense and not least, reminded me of Mr. Darcy and Elisabeth whom I love dearly, so... my hopeless inner romantic wanted more and more.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Moderator Manager

I think I have moved on. But talk to me back when I first saw the S3 CS and I'd be on the verge of snapping at every little thing. I hate how it ended for these two. We were supposed to get our happy ever after. Matthew was the heir for crying out loud. At least we have George and he is the heir upon Robert's death. The thing is he won't be too old to inherit at least so Mary will be his guardian for now. But still... I could still be fangirl-ing over these two as hard as I did 4 years ago if Matthew was still alive. I think I will have to do some re-watching of S1-S3 just to relive their moments once again no matter how few we got. Maybe if the show ended in S3 we'd have gotten a happier ending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
It did feel rushed..and maybe that's just my stupidity but I was so angry about how it happened because he'd been to war, where he survived, thank goodness of course but I think the way he died was stupid. To me it felt like it cause I wondered how many people could have died in car accidents in those times. Surely it was just a new thing and there weren't so many cars, and people were just learning how to get about, but really I'd like to see some statistics cause it can't be a big number..Maybe I'm wrong about that but I feel like I could've settled for a "better" cause of death for him. I would still be crushed like I am but I don't know. Even though any kind of death would've been devastating because basically his real life was just beginning but it could've been more 'heroic'(?), maybe that's what I'm looking for, I'm not sure myself. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense but that's what bugged me the most about the whole thing..
This is it actually why I felt the death was unjustifiable. How many people died in car accidents that time? Not a lot. But like you, I can't think of any other way for the character to go but be dead. His death did assure us that there was no going back, that he won't be able to survive this. And he died alone which makes it all the more sad.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 09-10-2014, 05:10 AM
New Fan

This first kiss of theirs is probably my most favourite. Mainly because I liked Matthew there so much. I liked how he stood his ground, liked his dignity, but also his passion and his "Don't play with me" and "Should I remind you..." were very manly and very sexy at the same time. I literally fell in love with this moment which carried so much meaning. Some of Fellowes' best writing, IMO. I re-watched it ten times probably.

This looks like a part of their wedding album. If they had one.

Last edited by Robber's Daughter; 09-10-2014 at 05:16 AM
Old 09-10-2014, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree it was a perfect scene