Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
That's fair enough, we're all entitled to like who we like on the show, I just tend to find his storyline's pretty much the same every series, and I can't find any sympathy for someone who's basically a bully, sure he has the odd moment when he's briefly 'human' but it doesn't take him long to revert to type again.
Really? I don't find his storylines "pretty much the same"?

In series 1 he was a horrible person, a thief, a liar, a bully.

In series 2 he had a lot of moments that had me feel for him. When he was in the trenches and held up his hand. Then later with the blind soldier and then finally when he spent all he had in the black market.

In series 3 I was yelling at my screen when he let himself get manipulated by O'Brien in the belief that Jimmy loved him. I was really afraid he might get fired this time and I was relieved when again he managed to get away with all his wrong doings.

In series 4 he had no storyline

In series 5 I liked so far how he has two such different sides. The bully to Baxter and then vulnerable and loving to Jimmy. And now Jimmy is gone and I hope he won't do something desperate. I know it will be heartbreaking to watch while on the other hand he will be scheming and horrible again.

I think that this makes him a fascinating character. I don "like" him as in "I find him nice", but I am fascinated by him and I change my perspective of him almost every episode.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Okay, I'll hold my hands up and say I probably haven't been following his storyline's closely enough, most likely because I don't care about him, but as he's fictional it's not worth worrying over.
He's still horrible, a liar and a bully though, so not a huge amount of character change.

Last edited by carrie.suze; 10-04-2014 at 01:09 PM
Old 10-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
Okay, I'll hold my hands up and say I probably haven't been following his storyline's closely enough, most likely because I don't care about him, but as he's fictional it's not worth worrying over.
He's still horrible, a liar and a bully though, so not a huge amount of character change.
We all have our favorite and not-so favorite characters on the show so no worries. I for one find Thomas interesting and was bummed he didn't have a proper SL last season. I'm excited that it looks like something big is coming up for him whether it be good or bad, at least there's progression for the character. I tend to tune out with SLs for characters I don't usually like as well, for example: Sarah Bunting. Another is this whole Mary/Tony/Charles drama which looks to be over (the triangle, I mean).

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
We all have our favorite and not-so favorite characters on the show so no worries. I for one find Thomas interesting and was bummed he didn't have a proper SL last season. I'm excited that it looks like something big is coming up for him whether it be good or bad, at least there's progression for the character. I tend to tune out with SLs for characters I don't usually like as well, for example: Sarah Bunting. Another is this whole Mary/Tony/Charles drama which looks to be over (the triangle, I mean).
Ha, I'm almost ashamed to admit the number of times I tune out with some characters Lindsay, Sarah Bunting's just one of them.

If I'm honest one more series after this one would be quite enough Downton for me, I think when Matthew and Sybil went in rapid succession it's never been quite the same, I'm probably not the only one who thinks so.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Extreme Fan

It hasn't been the same for me either. I wasn't an M/M shipper but I miss Matthew's sunny presence, and certainly Sybil's as well. That house is too full of ghosts now....there is something missing that they took with them and it can't really be replaced.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
It hasn't been the same for me either. I wasn't an M/M shipper but I miss Matthew's sunny presence, and certainly Sybil's as well. That house is too full of ghosts now....there is something missing that they took with them and it can't really be replaced.
Yes, I didn't really warm to Rose at first as she was more or less a replacement for Sybil, but I now think she's brought a bit of that sunny presence back, although I still miss Sybil and Matthew around Downton, as you say very hard to replace characters who were so loved.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:48 AM
Moderator Manager

I agree. It really hasn't been the same without Matthew & Sybil. Yes it may have opened writing opportunities for Fellowes but it's just really not up to par with the first 3 seasons.

I too think that one more season of this show would be enough. Or maybe this should be the last season, I wouldn't feel too bad if it was but I would also like the show to end on a high note. Not like this.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:54 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I agree. It really hasn't been the same without Matthew & Sybil. Yes it may have opened writing opportunities for Fellowes but it's just really not up to par with the first 3 seasons.

I too think that one more season of this show would be enough. Or maybe this should be the last season, I wouldn't feel too bad if it was but I would also like the show to end on a high note. Not like this.
No me neither, especially if they're anything like last night's episode, which was very routine.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
Oh, I've never thought those were the only character traits she finds attractive. But I think it's a large part of what she finds attractive.

I don't know, I think a large part of her attraction to Tony is because she's physically attracted to him and enjoys that such a "glamorous pirate" is attracted to her. She might also like that he has a touch of the "old world" to him, and that he's charming, but mostly I think it's a physical attraction.

Why?

1. In their first scene together, they only talked briefly, but Mary turned to give him another look as they departed. They didn't talk long enough for her to be intensely fascinated by his personality, but all she needed to be attracted to him physically was a look -- which she got. So it does seem to me like it's his face/body that hooked her.

2. Her reaction to what Charles said about sex and love struck me as very telling. I still feel like that's going to come into play later, and if it does I think it'll be bad for Tony.

I think this comes down to how we view Mary. Does she need a total Matthew clone to be happy? No. But I do think she needs to find her husband someone who is interesting to talk to.

Is that man Tony? I personally don't think so.

You think Evelyn could be that kind of man. Maybe, but like I've said, I'd need more evidence of that.

I do think Charles, of the three suitors we've seen, is the one who's "brain she finds most entertaining," as JF said.

Is that the ONLY thing she needs to make her happy? No. I think she needs other things, like loyalty, passion, a sense of humor...

But I do think "he has to be an interesting guy" is somewhere at the top of the list.

Was Matthew only concerned with her well-being and her happiness? I don't think that was his sole concern. Matthew also wanted Mary for himself, just as Charles does.

Charles is just blunter about certain things than Matthew was.

No one said JF was going to make her crawl back to Charles. Nor would I particularly want to see Mary crawling to Charles or anyone.

But that's not the only way this story could play out happily for Mary/Charles.

I actually disagree on this -- while Thomas is a trouble-maker, he has more layers to him than that, as we've seen most notably in his relationship with Jimmy. That gives RJC a lot of subtle things to play, even when he's causing trouble on the surface.

Matthew did want her for himself but that wasn't his objective at the time--he felt guilty about the whole Lavinia situation at that point so he wasn't trying to dissuade her from marrying Carlisle so he could sweep her off her feet. Not so with Blake.
Interesting to you is not a requirement. Interesting to her is another matter--and that is not the issue here If you're talking about Season 1, that was Season 1, friend.

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Moderator Manager

for this Sunday's new ep.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

Looking forward to discussing it One of my favourite scenes ever in this episode.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn (View Post)
Looking forward to discussing it One of my favourite scenes ever in this episode.

Now you've got my curiosity up...I haven't watched season 5 since it originally aired. Might do that this weekend! (thank goodness I know what a weekend is!)
Old 01-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Moderator Manager

I'll read over this thread to remember the ep but I can't wait to discuss it with all of you again.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
Now you've got my curiosity up...I haven't watched season 5 since it originally aired. Might do that this weekend! (thank goodness I know what a weekend is!)
Probably not one of your favourite scenes, it might just be mine
Old 01-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Supreme Fan

Seems to me that they ran out of stuff for Jimmy ... and had him just leave as part of a revealed fling with a guest/lady of nobility. I'm divided with regard to Thomas - I enjoy hating him as a "villain." Though he does do some admirable things - sticking up for baby Sybbie against the horrible nanny in S4, for example. I just wish he'd be more friendly with Anna, even if he doesn't exactly like Bates.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)